CaseySmithBB is just really nice. (+1000) CaseySmithBB is just really nice. (+1000) CaseySmithBB is just really nice. (+1000) CaseySmithBB is just really nice. (+1000) CaseySmithBB is just really nice. (+1000) CaseySmithBB is just really nice. (+1000) CaseySmithBB is just really nice. (+1000) CaseySmithBB is just really nice. (+1000) CaseySmithBB is just really nice. (+1000) CaseySmithBB is just really nice. (+1000) CaseySmithBB is just really nice. (+1000)

IIFYM - Okay, just how much MICRONUTRIENTS do you need in your diet?

I have been approached with the following response to this dieting style:

IIFYM is not good for your health because you are missing out on foods that contain vital micronutrients that you would otherwise acquire through a "clean eating" diet.

Exactly how much micronutrients do you need in your day?

Wouldn't it still be just as effective to take a multivitamin/multimineral to acquire your daily micronutrients if you felt you weren't acquiring an optimal amount?
    My Diet - IIFYM - http://oi55.tinypic.com/50i9u.jpg

Wake up to get my cake up Lukelovesyoutoo's Avatar
    Lukelovesyoutoo is a name known to all. (+5000) Lukelovesyoutoo is a name known to all. (+5000) Lukelovesyoutoo is a name known to all. (+5000) Lukelovesyoutoo is a name known to all. (+5000) Lukelovesyoutoo is a name known to all. (+5000) Lukelovesyoutoo is a name known to all. (+5000) Lukelovesyoutoo is a name known to all. (+5000) Lukelovesyoutoo is a name known to all. (+5000) Lukelovesyoutoo is a name known to all. (+5000) Lukelovesyoutoo is a name known to all. (+5000) Lukelovesyoutoo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Eating any vegetables at all, it's INCREDIBLY easy to hit the rda's. Seriously, I'll eat maybe 2 cups of broccoli and a piece of fruit or two and punch it in to a nut. calculator and i'm more than set, no multi needed. Not to mention all the processed food I eat is ridiculously over-fortified for some reason.

Pro Natural Bodybuilder AustrianOakJr's Avatar
    AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by CaseySmithBB View Post
    I have been approached with the following response to this dieting style:

IIFYM is not good for your health because you are missing out on foods that contain vital micronutrients that you would otherwise acquire through a "clean eating" diet.

Exactly how much micronutrients do you need in your day?

Wouldn't it still be just as effective to take a multivitamin/multimineral to acquire your daily micronutrients if you felt you weren't acquiring an optimal amount?
    I dont know that there is a set number or amount of individual micronutrients we can measure. Nor do I think is worth it to try. I do think that we tend to underestimate the power of good eating. I abide by an IIFYM mentality because ultimately numbers play the biggest role in attaining immediate physique goals. However, because of the importance on the bigger picture, a large percentage of my diet is based in whole foods. I think its extremely important that a good bulk of our diet is plant-based....lots of veggies, fruits and grains. Can we take a multi-vitamin to satisfy our micro nutritional needs? Well, I think it helps, but ultimately the answer is no. I think we are a little full of ourselves if we think that we have the science of nutrition nailed down into a little pill. IMOP, its ridiculous. A multivitamin contains the micro nutrients that we KNOW are required for general health and bodily function.....but there are a whole host of micro nutrients, phyto nutrients, and polyphenols that we dont even know exist. I think the lack of whole foods in the average person's diet is one of the biggest reasons for many of the health issues we battle as a society. Most Americans eat processed corn and soybeans (highly processed) as the bulk of their diets. We are missing the boat bigtime as bodybuilders if the bulk of our diet comes from junk. Even so-called "clean eaters" miss out because often times they eat the same "clean" foods over and over again with little variety. I think this is equally as big of a mistake as eating too much processed junk food.

Now, on the other hand....I do like me some fro-yo every now and again. ANd I just polished off a kit kat bar after dinner. So.....all things in moderation.

BTW, I just picked up 40 lbs of venison from the butcher......100% organic, grass fed, pure protein. At less than 2 bucks a pound. Cant beat it.
    Last edited by AustrianOakJr; 11-16-2011 at 03:35 PM.
    "Who the Son sets free is free indeed....."

WNBF Pro Natural Bodybuilder

Check out my CELLUCOR Supplement log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148746693&pagenumber=

3DMJ Athlete