nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000)

Full squat questions

I couldn't find the info before creating this thread, i have some questions.

I'd like to start doing full squats aka ATG. When i point my toes out just slightly, i can only hit proper parallel without rounding my back, but when i point them out for like 35-40 degrees, i hit the ground without a problem and with my torso upright, but my hip flexors feel weird. I saw oly lifters squat with toes pointed out this way, but i'm still worried. Should i work on my flexibility first and squat first way or just start squatting the second way?

And another question, should i break at the knees to do ATG squat? And if so, is it necessary to sit back, or just drop straight down?

ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000)
    Your hip flexors feel weird for three reasons:

- You are not used to engaging them in such a manner.
    - You lack flexibility, not only in the hip flexors but glutes and hamstrings. This is normal, don't worry.
    - You are quite possibly not opening up your hips to squat down. You want to be tracking your knees on par to the angle of the feet. Thus, when going down, you should be making sure your knees are at all times angled and pointing in the same direction as your toes. Don't cave your knees in when going up (a common fault in those not used to squatting full range).

Solutions:
    - Keep doing squats. I always say this, squat FREQUENTLY! Forget traditional once a week splits. Squat 3x week. Something like Starting Strength works good. If you don't want to do full body programs, then do light squats every time you hit the gym for your split routine on top of your leg day.
    - Stretch the muscles involved in the full squat prior to squatting. I posted this elsewhere but namely you want to stretch glutes, hams and calves. Do these:

Calves -> http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Gastrocnemius/Wall.html

Hamstrings -> http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Hamstr...SingleLeg.html

Glutes ->http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Gluteu...roneGlute.html

- Your hip flexors will get strong on their own. Just keep practicing.
    - Squat like an olympic lifter. Watch videos of them and every time you put the barbell on your back, think as though you were training with the likes of Dimas, Klokov or Rezazadeh. Not only olympic lifters tend to be a cool bunch but olympic squats are a rare sight in commercial gyms. You get gym kudos for this!

Squat like this

And NOT like this

Let me know how it goes.

All the best.

nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000)
    ^ Thanks, much obliged, will do.

schang7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) schang7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) schang7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) schang7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) schang7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) schang7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) schang7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) schang7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) schang7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) schang7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) schang7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    awesome answer.. if you need some help with how to stretch what you could check mobilitywod (you'll have to google because it won't let me post links yet)
    he's insanely annoying and there's a lot of info on there, but if you find the right stuff it's worth your time.

TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ManWithCurls View Post
    Your hip flexors feel weird for three reasons:

- You are not used to engaging them in such a manner.
    - You lack flexibility, not only in the hip flexors but glutes and hamstrings. This is normal, don't worry.
    - You are quite possibly not opening up your hips to squat down. You want to be tracking your knees on par to the angle of the feet. Thus, when going down, you should be making sure your knees are at all times angled and pointing in the same direction as your toes. Don't cave your knees in when going up (a common fault in those not used to squatting full range).

Solutions:
    - Keep doing squats. I always say this, squat FREQUENTLY! Forget traditional once a week splits. Squat 3x week. Something like Starting Strength works good. If you don't want to do full body programs, then do light squats every time you hit the gym for your split routine on top of your leg day.
    - Stretch the muscles involved in the full squat prior to squatting. I posted this elsewhere but namely you want to stretch glutes, hams and calves. Do these:

Calves -> http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Gastrocnemius/Wall.html

Hamstrings -> http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Hamstr...SingleLeg.html

Glutes ->http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Gluteu...roneGlute.html

- Your hip flexors will get strong on their own. Just keep practicing.
    - Squat like an olympic lifter. Watch videos of them and every time you put the barbell on your back, think as though you were training with the likes of Dimas, Klokov or Rezazadeh. Not only olympic lifters tend to be a cool bunch but olympic squats are a rare sight in commercial gyms. You get gym kudos for this!

Squat like this

And NOT like this

Let me know how it goes.

All the best.
    Grade A info right here.. Stuff I can use to help better my squat too..

Second time squatting high bar, started very light, i can see that it's not fully ATG (lacking flexibility), but am i on the right track?

vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by nainchik View Post
    Second time squatting high bar, started very light, i can see that it's not fully ATG (lacking flexibility), but am i on the right track?
    I would say sit back more.

super_tactical has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) super_tactical has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) super_tactical has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) super_tactical has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) super_tactical has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) super_tactical has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) super_tactical has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) super_tactical has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) super_tactical has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) super_tactical has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) super_tactical has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Stretch those flexors before lifting.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by nainchik View Post

[youtube]BcNbHS_8YfQ[youtube]
    Yep, looks like you know what you need to do and how to get there. G'luck.
    Originally Posted by vampborn View Post
    I would say sit back more.
    ........... he is doing high bar oly style squats. Sitting back is not conducive to that style. Sitting down between the legs is.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Um no
    do not stretch before squatting.
    That is only going to compromise performance for the various reasons about stretch response that i'm not going into here.

If you are rounding your back your bod is not feeling safe enough to let you go ass to grass, so you need to address this. good for you for watching your bak form.

So to use Marty Gallagher's approach: get away from the squat bar and hold a post and practice going down ass to grass - go only as far as you can before your back rounds. mark the spot. keep practicing. Lift from there; progress lower.

When you can get ass to grass with the post, nice back, move up to dumbbell or kettlebell front squat. then front squat with a bar THEN and only then pass go and progress to a back squat.

No stretching required. Your nervous system needs to feel safe. IF you can get lower holding a post, than you can without doing so, then it ain't stretching you need it may just be strength. or balance. so practice the technique where your body lets you have the form.

best
    mc