gabrielo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gabrielo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gabrielo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gabrielo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gabrielo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gabrielo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gabrielo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is alcohol IIFIYM based? and why not on an empty stomach?

So I can hit my macros and have maybe have some left over (for thread purposes) 1500 calories, and my deficit/maintenance is 2000. Can I do 500 for alcohol and not throw away gains in either cutting or maintaining? based on IIFIYM, why not?

also, if alcohol slows down processing of macros (by being the foremost thing your body burns), why would you want to eat before hand? Shouldn't we drink say 3 drinks, drink lots of water then eat?
    my logic makes me think like this:
    - I go to gym at 4, get home at 6
    - eat, stretch, shower (order regardless)
    - 8:30 rolls around, I drink 3 drinks (with water in between)
    - by 10:30 I drink a protein shake, and go to bed
    all fit in my macros, so how is this bad? help please

I am trying to cut some bf by the way.

anonymous
    boozing on an empty stomach is bad because it'll kill your stomach
    its good because you'll get drunk faster

2-3 drinks a day aren't so bad for you and many studies reveal 2 drinks a day to have certain health benefits.

if you wanna save 500 calories for alchohol, go for it and don't worry about when you consume the liquor....as long as you're not driving, etc..

and why a protein shake before bed?

witty comment goes here SimonThePieman's Avatar
    SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by gabrielo View Post
    So I can hit my macros and have maybe have some left over (for thread purposes) 1500 calories, and my deficit/maintenance is 2000. Can I do 500 for alcohol and not throw away gains in either cutting or maintaining? based on IIFIYM, why not?

also, if alcohol slows down processing of macros (by being the foremost thing your body burns), why would you want to eat before hand? Shouldn't we drink say 3 drinks, drink lots of water then eat?
    my logic makes me think like this:
    - I go to gym at 4, get home at 6
    - eat, stretch, shower (order regardless)
    - 8:30 rolls around, I drink 3 drinks (with water in between)
    - by 10:30 I drink a protein shake, and go to bed
    all fit in my macros, so how is this bad? help please

I am trying to cut some bf by the way.
    1g of alcohol = 7cals, however its the mixer or lovely beer which most of the calories come from.

My big issue from booze is the morning craving for fried food and bread. Which i know is not a bad thing, but using up half your calorie intake before 10am does not make for a fun evening
    Saying Zyzz inspired you to lift is like saying Justin Bieber inspired you to sing

canlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

... get it? Coz you have an extra I

heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Really good article on alcohol by Alan Aragon. Worth the read:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...e_to_alcohol_1

juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Wouldn't you rather eat when in deficit to have more energy and get more micros?

nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by juliacheh View Post
    Wouldn't you rather eat when in deficit to have more energy and get more micros?
    ^^This,

I would rather eat then waste calories on alcohol thats just my opinion.
    JUST SQUAT IT!

gabrielo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gabrielo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gabrielo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gabrielo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gabrielo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gabrielo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gabrielo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by juliacheh View Post
    True, I'll switch back and forth.

ajm422 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajm422 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajm422 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajm422 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajm422 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajm422 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajm422 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajm422 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajm422 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajm422 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajm422 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Martin Berkhan cites the fact that there are only about 5.2 calories in a gram of alcohol due to the thermic effect of food. His post on the subject is very helpful and he provides strategies for eating on drinking days to minimize fat loss.

I get about a glass of wine a day and never count the calories from that glass. I'm cutting now and running a pretty large daily deficit (~800-1000) calories and have gotten great results without including calories from wine.
    Fat and weak, but getting better.

1RMs as of 6/06/2012:

Squat: 320
    Bench Press: 215
    Deadlift: 350
    Overhead Press: 120
    Weighted Chin: +50

Feel free to friend me!
    myfitnesspal: ajm422
    Fitocracy: ajm422

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Are you sure you could actually hit your macros at only 1500 kCals?
    2 time survivor of The Great Misc Outages of 2022

Survivor of PHP/API Outage of Feb 2023

SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by desslok View Post
    Are you sure you could actually hit your macros at only 1500 kCals?
    I've diet very successfully at 1000 deficit (circa 1500) and refeed (7000-8000) at the weekend included booze. People have called BS before, i have no clue how or why is should work, but it does.

My problem is weekly discipline at keeping 1500 when my italian missus wants to cook a feast and i have to do lunch with work clients
    Saying Zyzz inspired you to lift is like saying Justin Bieber inspired you to sing

teequlah is on a distinguished road. (+10) teequlah is on a distinguished road. (+10) teequlah is on a distinguished road. (+10) teequlah is on a distinguished road. (+10) teequlah is on a distinguished road. (+10) teequlah is on a distinguished road. (+10) teequlah is on a distinguished road. (+10) teequlah is on a distinguished road. (+10) teequlah is on a distinguished road. (+10) teequlah is on a distinguished road. (+10) teequlah is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    fukc eating 1500 cals a day, would have to live the most laziest life for that amount of burn (even if cutting)

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SimonThePieman View Post
    I've diet very successfully at 1000 deficit (circa 1500) and refeed (7000-8000) at the weekend included booze. People have called BS before, i have no clue how or why is should work, but it does.

My problem is weekly discipline at keeping 1500 when my italian missus wants to cook a feast and i have to do lunch with work clients
    How "lean" are you at your new 180lbs at 5'7

Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    How "lean" are you at your new 180lbs at 5'7
    I'm about 173 at the moment. I'm not too hot on updating my details.

Yes, dieting like above. With consistent strength gains. Probably time for a new avi too

TARBERTD will become famous soon enough. (+50) TARBERTD will become famous soon enough. (+50) TARBERTD will become famous soon enough. (+50) TARBERTD will become famous soon enough. (+50) TARBERTD will become famous soon enough. (+50) TARBERTD will become famous soon enough. (+50) TARBERTD will become famous soon enough. (+50) TARBERTD will become famous soon enough. (+50) TARBERTD will become famous soon enough. (+50) TARBERTD will become famous soon enough. (+50) TARBERTD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by heavyliftset View Post
    Really good article on alcohol by Alan Aragon. Worth the read:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...e_to_alcohol_1
    Thanks for the link man. Really good read. Pretty interesting that drinking really only seems to substantially effect endurance athletes. Won't be so reluctant to drink with my friends after lifting on fridays/saturdays!

The mention of studies on athletes testosterone lvls make me think all the people saying alcohol severely increasing estrogen levels and blocks protein absorption by 20% was all broscience/bs

/repped!

Struecker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Struecker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Struecker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Struecker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Struecker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Struecker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Struecker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Struecker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Struecker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Struecker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Struecker is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by canlift View Post

... get it? Coz you have an extra I
    I lol'd, but i think this guys gone cat-abolic.
    The Next Big Thing.

phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thing is, don't read that AA article and then go "bllaoaaaaaaaghh! 24 beeeeeerrrsss! Chugchugchugchug."

You still need moderation.

And alcohol isn't a waste if it makes you happy.

Now I'm going to have some rum.
    ---
    This Machine Kills Fascists.
    ---
    BULKING LOG : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137967093&pagenumber=
    ---
    BTK - Bleed Time Krew
    ---
    "He runs, an activity that we defeated eons ago when humans discovered we are slower than every other animal on earth and can ride horses" - joelash302

heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TARBERTD View Post
    Thanks for the link man. Really good read. Pretty interesting that drinking really only seems to substantially effect endurance athletes. Won't be so reluctant to drink with my friends after lifting on fridays/saturdays!

The mention of studies on athletes testosterone lvls make me think all the people saying alcohol severely increasing estrogen levels and blocks protein absorption by 20% was all broscience/bs

/repped!
    Yup. I liked it a lot. Just stay hydrated!