JBeamz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Squats, Squats , Squats?

Hey guys,

I'm in my bulking stages and all of my workouts are going great except for my squats. For some reason all I feel is the weights sitting on my shoulders and my mid-back when i go down. I don't feel anything in my legs, its like im not even working them at all. The most I have yet attempted to squat is 165. while on my leg press Im able to do 320. am i doing something wrong here? I really want to concentrate on my legs during this bulk since its one of my weakest parts.

Or is squats better done with lower weights and higher reps?

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by JBeamz View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm in my bulking stages and all of my workouts are going great except for my squats. For some reason all I feel is the weights sitting on my shoulders and my mid-back when i go down. I don't feel anything in my legs, its like im not even working them at all. The most I have yet attempted to squat is 165. while on my leg press Im able to do 320. am i doing something wrong here? I really want to concentrate on my legs during this bulk since its one of my weakest parts.

Post a video if you want form critique...but it sounds like you're doing a "good-morning style" squat.

kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Keep pushing for higher weights. I think you are having trouble transferring the force from the upper back to the legs because the chain is weak somewhere above the legs. Most likely due to core weakness. I prescribe even more squats for you! Watch the "So you think you can squat?" series in the stickies, and really focus on upper body rigidity when you practice squats. If your upper body is rigid, the force will be transferred down to the lower back and legs.

jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You might just have a weak core, but for a better evaluation, post a vid of your squats.
    The more that you read, the more things you'll know.
    The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.

Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149723023

sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    watch the 'so you think you can squat' series on youtube. if you're not squatting with form like that, chances are it's all in the technique. you're probably leaning forward too much and not going nearly low enough, but can't tell without a vid of your technique.

jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I would recommend Squat RX.
    The more that you read, the more things you'll know.
    The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.

Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149723023

featherblake has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I like lifting heavier on leg press too. I am up to 6 sets of 360lbs on less press and squats I only do about 100lbs. I feel safer on leg press than squats in regards to my back.

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by featherblake View Post
    I like lifting heavier on leg press too. I am up to 6 sets of 360lbs on less press and squats I only do about 100lbs. I feel safer on leg press than squats in regards to my back.
    Everyone lifts more on leg press than on squats...it's because you take all stabilization out of the equation.

kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by featherblake View Post
    Leg press has high potential to F#$% up your back too. I have hurt my neck on leg press, and I have a friend who has been permanently disabled from leg press!!!

As Rippetoe puts it:

Squat with bad form has the potential to really f@#$ things up. A proper squat, however, will effectively unf!@$ the very things that got f#$^ed in the first place!

Squat with good form is extremely GOOD for you back imo. Same goes with knees.

John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The most I have yet attempted to squat is 165. while on my leg press Im able to do 320.
    This is kinda like saying, "I can bench 400 but can only deadlift 300". Just work on your squatting.

am i doing something wrong here? I really want to concentrate on my legs during this bulk since its one of my weakest parts.
    Work hard on the squats. Forget about your legs feel like, just pound out the squats.

No you doof, just the opposite - heavy weight with low reps. You might even try the 20 rep squats once you have a good technique down; work on getting good form, then pound out the squats!

Thank you, John Hicks
    Oh, you're quite welcome, glad to help as always!
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Sounds like a form issue. I agree with previous posts to check on that. I was always told to have my feet a little more then shoulder width apart and to find something in front of you to keep your eyes on. Dont look down! Keeps head up and eyes forward. That should help your form and transfer the weight to your legs properly.

Ok so i watched the "so you think you can squat" series and I think that helped me out a lot with proper technique on how to perform them, I just used my body wight and went through the steps and even without any weight i can el a huge difference. I don't have a training partner so i can post a video of my form, but Im going to drop the weights down and start all over again with the proper form and see how that helps my max weight and such.

Ok well leg day came around again today and after watching/taking your advice I feel 100% more confident on my squats, after starting off low with proper form I was able to get up to 175 no problem, I could have gone a little heavier but decided to stay light for now and go to failure on leg presses for now. Thanks again guys

sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    hey man if you're hitting those squats with proper form you don't even need the leg presses in your routine tbh. at least i see no reason to have them at this point unless you start hitting plateaus with squats or want a different feel. just my opinion of course. btw, 'so you think you can squat' vid did the same for me as it has for you. i went from doing 1/4 squats with like 285, down to 115 my first week of doing legit parallel squats. BIG difference. form is everything. and you can certainly feel the difference.

TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah, relating your success from leg press doesn't go hand in hand with squats.. Personally, I do not like leg press because if feels weird in my back when I do heavier weights..

Possibly, I could be doing something wrong, so I don't even waste my time with it.. Squats are what I go hard with and leg press is very minimal in weight when I do it.. I think your form could be affecting your lift.. Maybe too much knees and not enough sitting back on your heels..

Vids would help like everyone is saying..

Registered User Eventhorizon191's Avatar
    Eventhorizon191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eventhorizon191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eventhorizon191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eventhorizon191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eventhorizon191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eventhorizon191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eventhorizon191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eventhorizon191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eventhorizon191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eventhorizon191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eventhorizon191 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey guys,

I don't have much experience with squats, most of my years have been put into upper body, but here is what i have did for the past two months and it has helped me tremedously:
    Squat every other day. I did front squats for the first month (seems to have helped my form get into grove). Make sure you warm up well with a few reps of about half your max, do several sets for the warm up. Dont fatugue yourself just get the blood pumping. Then go for a set of 5-6 at whatever weight it takes to come very close to failure. Dont hit failure. Take a good break after the first set, enough to be rested fully then go for a moderate set of 5-6 reps, dont go to failure. Total workload is low, but then again youre lifting relativly frequently which seems to really have helped my form just starting. Also, make sure the weight is progressing every time it feels lighter, assuming youre keeping your form tight.
    This is only what i have done, so i can't say it's what will work best for you. However, my form has gotten many times better, and my working sets began at around 200lbs and im up to 300lbs. My roomate is doing what i am he is having good results as well. Another thing, me and my roomate seem to have aquired some accumulated soreness/muscle fatugue so we took 5 days off and came back a bit stronger. I may start squatting less frequently.

400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
    Everyone lifts more on leg press than on squats...it's because you take all stabilization out of the equation.
    actually the reason most people have outrageous numbers on leg press is their range of motion is complete shiet.

@OP, i tend to use heavy squats to start my session then will go with some lighter weight moves like lunges, goodmornings, leg press(although not often anymore), and leg curls. as far as form get a vid of your next session and post it up in here. more often than not peoples problem is a flexibility issue
    Squat: 475 Bench: 355 Dead: 585 Press: 245

You would be surprised just how much time I have to waste.

Sheepdog #fiftysomething... I think 58???

Gayle1
    squirrell751

F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Not just squats.

Squats and milk.