rabbit1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How to get rid of lower gut and when to up the weight on bicep curls?

Hi. I have been exercising regularly for a month now. Every other day I cycle for 10 miles (takes around 1 hour) and on days i don't cycle I go to the gym for a full body one hour work out.

While I can see my upper abs starting to form definition, I can not seem to get rid of lower gut. Will this go with time? They suggested at the gym to do leg curls, but I am going to be honest I could not even do 1. Similarly, I can not really do sit ups. (although I can do backwards situps holding a 24 lb weight just fine). I am not sure how to overcome my inability to do these lower ab exercises!

Also, how often should I up the weight on bicep curls?

Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by rabbit1987 View Post
    Hi. I have been exercising regularly for a month now. Every other day I cycle for 10 miles (takes around 1 hour) and on days i don't cycle I go to the gym for a full body one hour work out.
    Are you using compound movements? That should help you build abdominal strength. Then again, if your abs are as weak as you seem to imply, you might want to build ub abdominal strength anyway. Start doing planks, bird dogs, inch worms, etc.

While I can see my upper abs starting to form definition, I can not seem to get rid of lower gut. Will this go with time? They suggested at the gym to do leg curls, but I am going to be honest I could not even do 1. Similarly, I can not really do sit ups. (although I can do backwards situps holding a 24 lb weight just fine). I am not sure how to overcome my inability to do these lower ab exercises!
    Advising leg curls for ab definition doesn't make sense. In addition: abs are made in the kitchen. If you can, post your routine, because you might get some solid advice and I think that would really help your progress.
    Also, the leg curl is adjustable in weight, I'm sure you can do one.

Also, how often should I up the weight on bicep curls?
    the same system as how you up them on squats: when you hit your goal number of reps.
    Last edited by Euqinom; 10-18-2011 at 01:55 AM.
    First time order at iHerb.com? I got this discount code: EKE466. Will give you 10,- off on any order over 40$, 5 on any order under..
    http://www.iherb.com?rcode=EKE466

Blog! [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165643671&p=1324304881#post1324304881[/url]

Originally Posted by Euqinom View Post
    Are you using compound movements? That should help you build abdominal strength. Then again, if your abs are as weak as you seem to imply, you might want to build ub abdominal strength anyway. Start doing planks, bird dogs, inch worms, etc.
    Thank you, I will look into these. I just have nothing going on in those lower abs!!

Advising leg curls for ab definition doesn't make sense. In addition: abs are made in the kitchen. If you can, post your routine, because you might get some solid advice and I think that would really help your progress.

I might have listed the wrong machine. I am pretty sure they said leg curls though. When they showed me the machine it was pretty much a machine to do sit ups on.

My routine:

Mon./Wed./Fri. 10 mile cycling (no stopping except at intersection obviously)
    Sun./Tues./Thur. - Gym:

15 minutes cardio (run for one mile, the rest is warm up and cool down)
    Ab machine - 4 sets of 15 (I don't know what this machine is called, you kind are sitting at your knees and use your abs to slide your legs up. I will have to get the names of the machines)
    Reverse sit ups (that's what they call them at the gym) holding 25 lb weight - 4 sets of 15
    Tricep machine (only 25 lbs on it right now) 4 sets of 15
    Another ab machine (70 lbs) 3 sets of 15 for each side. (not sure what this machine is called, you are sitting on your knees and you rotate from side to side)
    Glute. machine (60 lbs) 4 sets of 15 for each leg (it is a machine where you set the weight then bend over and push the weight out behind you with one leg)
    Thigh machine (60 lbs) 4 sets of 15
    Bicep curls (10 lbs) 3 set of 10 (that's all I can do right now!)
    There are two other bicep workouts I do with the 10 lb. weights for 3 sets of 10, but I'm not sure what they are called. One of them I start with my elbows pointing outwards and bring the weights up over my head. The other is just like doing bicep curls only holding both the weights at once. These are just the things the people at the gym showed me to do)

the same system as how you up them on squats: when you hit your goal number of reps.
    I have never done squats. Maybe I should give them a try!

Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I think your routine is unbalanced, and probably ineffective. It leaves out 'big' movements, and big muscle groups (back!). Do they have trainers in your gym to help you with technique, or a proper program? there are dozens of programs out there that would be great, but you sound like you are new to lifting, and it would be great if there was somebody to help you learn proper form.
    First time order at iHerb.com? I got this discount code: EKE466. Will give you 10,- off on any order over 40$, 5 on any order under..

Blog! [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165643671&p=1324304881#post1324304881[/url]

Originally Posted by Euqinom View Post
    I think your routine is unbalanced, and probably ineffective. It leaves out 'big' movements, and big muscle groups (back!). Do they have trainers in your gym to help you with technique, or a proper program? there are dozens of programs out there that would be great, but you sound like you are new to lifting, and it would be great if there was somebody to help you learn proper form.

thank you so so much for this response. There are trainers at my university that I can hire for $20 an hour. Honestly I do not have much money. Can you suggest what is a good number of times to meet with a trainer? If I meet just once will they help me put together a fitness plan? I really want my workouts to be effective!

I felt it was good because I have lost about 7 pounds so far. Also, I should add that I am working on my back. I might be calling the work outs I am doing by the wrong name. This thing they call the reverse sit up, I was told that was supposed to work out your back.

By the way how long have you been lifting? Your pic is really impressive. I really want to make this a part of my life (fitness, lifting, etc.) I feel so much better since I have started.

Thanks so so much for the help, it is much appreciated

thank you so so much for this response. There are trainers at my university that I can hire for $20 an hour. Honestly I do not have much money. Can you suggest what is a good number of times to meet with a trainer? If I meet just once will they help me put together a fitness plan? I really want my workouts to be effective!
    Look into programs such as starting strength, NROLW,
    or replace an exercise in your current program with (goblet)squats -i specifically name those, because it is very hard to get them wrong!-, dumbell presses, shoulder presses, lat pull down, and lunges. Add one in per week. Do the new exercise 2x10, and up to 3x10 after two weeks, up to 4x10 in 4 weeks. Ask people in your gym to check form, everytime you go there until you feel you're doing great. Always finish workout with ab work and lowerback work. Try it for 4-6 weeks, and see how you do (I would actually prefer for you to start with one of the first programs I mentioned).

My issue with your current program, aside from what I already said, is that it consists of machines only and has you working in a reprange that will not stimulate your body to change much.

Hiring a trainer for 20,- an hour?! Doesn't your gym offer supervision in the gym? I would be very specific on what you want, and check what kind of training they've had. You can find programs that will work online (look for classics), and maybe hire a coach if you get stuck or confused.
    I felt it was good because I have lost about 7 pounds so far. Also, I should add that I am working on my back. I might be calling the work outs I am doing by the wrong name. This thing they call the reverse sit up, I was told that was supposed to work out your back.
    I think the new activity + conscious eating helps the weightloss, not necessarily this program.

By the way how long have you been lifting? Your pic is really impressive. I really want to make this a part of my life (fitness, lifting, etc.) I feel so much better since I have started.
    Thanks so so much for the help, it is much appreciated
    Started when I was thirteen (BB gym, machines only), quit when I was fifteen, restarted in May 2005.

latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    as your lifts improve in other areas your biceps should also improve...now I am gonna suggest something to you if you are doing the same thing each week:
    10 lbs weights 3x10
    you will get the same results...I think (may be wrong) you are building endurance not really increasing strength?
    if it were me...I would decrease your reps and up your weights..
    like this
    can you do any reps at all with a 15lb?
    make sure its a good curl, coming all the way up and feeling that muscle ball up?
    no rocking? slow and in control?
    if it is only 3 then that is good...rest...go do another kind of exercise...come back ..do it again how many this time? only 2? great...go do something else...come back and try for that last good curl. get it?
    now as soon as you can get at least 3 sets of 5
    bump again

thank you all for the advice! Yesterday at the gym I had them show me how to do squats and deadlifts. I will def be incorporating these into my workouts.

I also uped the weights yesterday. It just felt like the weights I was at were getting really easy. I only went up to 12.5 pounds on the curls, but hey, it's something. because when I first did 10 lbs I felt like I was going to die. At 12.5 it was still a tad easy, but harder. Next time maybe I'll try 15.

Also I uped the weight on the bicep workout I was doing to 30 lbs. Only 5 pound increase, but, I can really feel the difference. I will start increasing more frequently. I am trying to push myself as much as possible and make some improvement each time. Hopefully it will pay off!!!

thank you all for the advice! Yesterday at the gym I had them show me how to do squats and deadlifts. I will def be incorporating these into my workouts.
    HAve different people check your form on these for the coming few weeks. It takes time to get them right.

savannahsimms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Rabbit, I have the same problem. I'm afraid in some women I believe that little bit of lower belly fat has to stay in order for us to stay on our monthly cycles..this fat insulates our reproductive organs for the possibility of a pregnancy. Of course, this is only a small amount of fat..I have a low body fat percentage and really the only place I have fat storage is a tiny bit on my lower belly. The only time I've lost this, I also lost my period for over a year. So it's possible..just consider the risks. And yes..abs are 90% diet. Make sure you're eating super clean..and count every calorie. And maybe try leg lifts again..I myself do plenty every day..they're not going to take away that fat obviously but will firm the muscle under it, keeping it more taut. And lastly..take it from someone who's body clings to water like nothing else..you could just have a little excess water weight. Try drinking at least twice as much water as you are now..usually does the trick for me. After your long cardio sessions, you could be losing so much fluid ur body is retaining water. So try that and see if that works..if not, re-examine ur diet..if ur doing that right maybe decrease the calories and/or up the cardio temporarily and try some leg lifts again..good luck!

just wanted to say thanks for everyone who responded to my post. It really gave me a "Reality check" about a few things

Today I am lucky I ran into a good friend at the gym today who is way into fitness, he showed me how to do squats properly. I had wanted to add them in but wanted to have good form, and no one who works at the gym shows how to do any exercises.... anyway I love doing squats! Wow and I can feel it so much in my back, shoulders, even legs. Seems like a wonderful thing to add in. I wanna do deadlifts too.
    "Hang on to your hopes my friend; That's an easy thing to say, but if your hopes should pass away, simply pretend that you can build them again. Look around now, the grass is high, the fields are ripe, it's the springtime of my life." - Paul Simon