trikkaUK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Sorry I'm new to and it's so confusing I really hope someone will help.

hi guys. When I hit 30 in August I decided to get into shape, I downloaded an app for my iPhone which monitors calories and I've recently signed up for the gym. I want to lose weight and gain muscle but since then I've been trawling the Internet reading up on what I should do and I've hit a stumbling block with my Nutrition. I've tried to read the threads but it all seems very confusing. Basically the app on my phone says 1500-1800 calories is enough to lose up to 2lb of fat per week but from I'm reading and have been told this is nowhere near what I need. Please would someone mind help me with how many calories I need and what foods I should be eating to get me started properly as I'm at a loss to be honest. Gym wise, I do mon/wed/fri lifting and the other days cardio, I spend around 1-2 hours per day. Recent body stats are as follows:

Weight: 18st 8lb / 118.2kg
    Height: 5ft 11'
    BMI: 35.3
    BF: 31.6%

Oh and I'm male :0)

Also due to kidney function/high bp I also need to steer clear of supplements and shakes so ideally I need a good food plan that will get me into shape, strip this fat and to build muscle the quickest way possible.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by trikkaUK; 10-17-2011 at 10:29 AM.

Back To Wreck Shyt!! Siafu4Life's Avatar
    Siafu4Life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Siafu4Life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Siafu4Life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Siafu4Life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Siafu4Life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Siafu4Life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Siafu4Life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Siafu4Life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Siafu4Life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Siafu4Life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Siafu4Life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    OP, you need to learn how much protein and dietary fat you need to consume at a minimum, to reach sufficiency. And you need to learn how to use those figures to calculate total caloric intake properly.

Also, the use of protein powders is not necessary...unless your diet is deficient. So the fact that you need to "steer clear" of those...is completely fine!

I suggest you read these stickies, as they should be able to answer most of your questions ---

Calculating Calories and Macronutrients!!

Pre, During & Post Workout Nutrition!!

IIFYM!!
    Second Bulk Underway...

07/09 - 194.00
    09/17 - 190.00
    09/24 -
    10/01 -

Follow my evolution @ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139784033

Registered User captaindumbbell's Avatar
    captaindumbbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey!

I think for the beginning you don't have to follow a specific diet. Just eat healthy stuff and not too many calories! Work out 3 days a weeks and you should be fine. I think changing the whole lifestyle is only leading you failing. Take little steps at a time and you will notice how your body is changing. Just remember, if you want to change you will have to work out over a very long period of time. Just don't do too much but stick to it

Good luck!
    http://gymheroapp.com workout tracker for the gym

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by captaindumbbell View Post
    Just eat healthy stuff and not too many calories!
    You need to stop posting and start reading the stickies.

rich503 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rich503 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rich503 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rich503 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rich503 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rich503 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rich503 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rich503 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rich503 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rich503 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rich503 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    What kidney function issues?
    Richard Anderson, M.D.

I eat and thoroughly enjoy egg whites; for some reason you now think you are smarter than me. This makes me smile.

Pubmed: helpin' the anti-Bros post links to abstracts of studies they never read...anything less is Broscience!

-To the PubMed ninjas; you are what is wrong with the internet.

trikkaUK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rich503 View Post
    What kidney function issues?
    Hi. Well to cut a long story short I had a car accident several years ago so lost 1 kidney and the other is only working at 50%.

Thanks

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by trikkaUK View Post
    Hi. Well to cut a long story short I had a car accident several years ago so lost 1 kidney and the other is only working at 50%.

Thanks
    I guess you have been told to steer clear of protein powder?

But what if you have a similar high protein intake - but with protein coming from other foods such as dairy, meat, eggs etc? You should probably consult your doctor and ask if this is OK.