Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Daimbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daimbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daimbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daimbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daimbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daimbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daimbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daimbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daimbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daimbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daimbert will become famous soon enough. (+50)

To eat or not to eat for morning cardio???

Hello all am been reading the forum trying to answer this question. I only have time to do cardio in the morning especially right after I wake up or maybe an hour after I wake up. Right now am in a cutting routine to reduce body-fat. I've worked hard in gaining muscle and am scared of loosing it. Now alot of people say doing cardio in the morning on an empty stomach is the best way. The thing that confuses me that people also say that doing this is the best way to loose muscle as well. I don't want to loose my muscle I worked hard for it (grin). If possible I want to spare it. So should I eat something before my cardio work-out which consist of about 20-30 min cardio at 70-80% heart rate as well as 3 times a week of HIIT?? And what's the best food to eat before this cardio workout knowing that I can have as much as an 1 1/2 of time before I can do it, although I usually just wake up start running within 30 mins. And right after the workout what should I eat I've heard dextrose with whey and whey with oatmeal. Please help am coooonffffuuusseed!!
    Last edited by Daimbert; 06-22-2003 at 11:14 PM.

defcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

me too.....

i really need to know the answer to this.. i hear stong arguments from both sides of the fence.. i seen great "weight" loss doing cardio on an empty tank, but my lifts droped down in pounds so i prolly lost a lot of muscle.. and thats not a good thing! so does anyone know a lot about this topic to help us both out pls? thanx

Fame is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fame is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fame is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fame is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fame is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fame is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fame is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fame is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fame is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fame is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fame is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    An answer for you both...

Read the thread called "Morning Cardio" at the top of this forum, it talks about different nutritional aspects as well as different opinions on what forms of cardio are optimal. The bottom line is that most agree that you SHOULD eat before cardio, you should treat it the same as a workout session.

Read up fellas
    I hope this helps
    -Fame-

defcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah.. ive alrdy read it.. and currently when i do cardio i eat atleast some protein 30-45 mins before mourning cardio..

janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    defcon, I am not one to be afraid of fasted state cardio, I have done it at least once a week for quite some time now, and have seen no muscle loss, and I actually feel that it really gives me that shredded look. I always make sure that I take some glutamine before hand, and as soon as I am done it is straight home for some breakfast. I think it is very beneficial and so not shun it.
    AOK

derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally posted by janderstein
    defcon, I am not one to be afraid of fasted state cardio, I have done it at least once a week for quite some time now, and have seen no muscle loss, and I actually feel that it really gives me that shredded look. I always make sure that I take some glutamine before hand, and as soon as I am done it is straight home for some breakfast. I think it is very beneficial and so not shun it.
    Taking the glutamine is helpful, but I still believe the best way to preserve your muscle mass is to eat some protein/carbs before your workout.

beatphats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beatphats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beatphats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beatphats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beatphats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beatphats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beatphats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beatphats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beatphats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beatphats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beatphats has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by janderstein
    Exactly, I take these before a morning cardio.

2 Tbsp Flax/Hemp Oil
    5Egg Whites or protein drink
    10g Glutamine

janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I guess it is all in what you are looking for, if you want to burn that little bit of pesky body fat , and are not afraid of possibly burning muscle, than dont eat, if you are afraid to waste muscle than get something in you.
    AOK

boffo234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boffo234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boffo234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boffo234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boffo234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boffo234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boffo234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boffo234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boffo234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boffo234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boffo234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    start the cardio, and have a glutamine + protein shake in the cup holder to sip through it (if doing low-moderate intensity) just an idea

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    "i feel i have no muscle loss"

wow, it's good to know that you can decipher all of the intracies of your body's biochemistry you should let some of the scientific institutions know... they'd love to use you for testing

testor: how do you feel?

"well I think my mitochondrial activity in the lower portion of the left side of my big toe has slowed as i believe it may be due to uncoupling of the proton gradient of the inner mitochondrial membrane"

testor: interesting... how did you figure that out.

"I dunno, just FELT like it"

fasted state cardio is a dogmatic myth perpetuated by weider and people with gym PhD's who practice pseudo science. And to think all of the time i put in on that damn thread and people still refuse to listen.

Layne *beats head on table*

hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Re: To eat or not to eat for morning cardio???

Originally posted by Daimbert
    Hello all am been reading the forum trying to answer this question. I only have time to do cardio in the morning especially right after I wake up or maybe an hour after I wake up. Right now am in a cutting routine to reduce body-fat. I've worked hard in gaining muscle and am scared of loosing it. Now alot of people say doing cardio in the morning on an empty stomach is the best way. The thing that confuses me that people also say that doing this is the best way to loose muscle as well. I don't want to loose my muscle I worked hard for it (grin). If possible I want to spare it. So should I eat something before my cardio work-out which consist of about 20-30 min cardio at 70-80% heart rate as well as 3 times a week of HIIT?? And what's the best food to eat before this cardio workout knowing that I can have as much as an 1 1/2 of time before I can do it, although I usually just wake up start running within 30 mins. And right after the workout what should I eat I've heard dextrose with whey and whey with oatmeal. Please help am coooonffffuuusseed!!
    morning cardio on empty can be very beneficial to fat loss. the key however is to do it properly. 20 - 30 minutes at a light - moderate level of intensity [i.e. a brisk walk] will not put you at risk for muscle loss. anything above & beyond 30 minutes and at an intensity above moderate will.

i have been doing it for several years and have maintained my muscle mass.

spider has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spider has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spider has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spider has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spider has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spider has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spider has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spider has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spider has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spider has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spider has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    if you are in ketosis, running on empty is ok

but if you are running on carbs (most people) you should have at least some glutamine

RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Eventhough your blood sugar might be low in the morning, your liver/muscle glycogen is not empty, and will be used along with fat for energy.

Do your cardio on empty stomach, then have a good meal soon afterwards. (oatmeal + lean protein)
    "Strive for perfection,
    Nothing less"

str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    *continues to pound head on desk*

god, why do i even bother trying to help anymore

hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by str8flexed
    *continues to pound head on desk*

god, why do i even bother trying to help anymore
    you need to understand that some things work for some people, while they don't work for others. trial & error.

i haven't even bothered to read the morning cardio thread on this board - as it seems with debated issues such as this, things get too heated and too much condescending & differing opinions are devulged by those who know little, or only know through other posts [re: not solid, researched, educated data]. if you have something intelligent to back up & add to your post, i'd love to read it in here.

but again, i stand by my post as i've tested it to be true [through use of documenting my progress & success]. the key is moderation.

Originally posted by spider

but if you are running on carbs (most people) you should have at least some glutamine
    running is not a good form of cardio on empty. keep it to a moderate level of intensity.

bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    To me, HIIT without food = crappy perfomance = bad workout = waste of time.

Now, low/mid intensity walking/jogging, that's a whole different story.
    "Bad habits are like a comfortable bed, easy to get into, but hard to get out of." - Anonimus -
    "My mind is like a General. And my body's like an Army." - Herschel Walker -
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity...

Recovery is key. Massages, epsom salts baths, foam rolling, sleep masks, contrast showers, it all adds up. Get a foam roller, The Stick, a tennis/baseball, use them and stay healthy, pain and injury free.

people are genetically 99.99% identical... when someone says what works for one doesn't work for another... it is usually (not always) but usually a form of excuse.

HIIT has many many many more benefits than low or moderate intensity cardio. When will people realize that the substrate utilized during cardio DOES NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE it is the overall calorie deficit and metabolic impact made by the cardio vascular work that makes all the difference.

people are genetically 99.99% identical... when someone says what works for one doesn't work for another... it is usually (not always) but usually a form of excuse.
    i disagree with you there and i'd like you to back that up with some research stats if possible.

HIIT has many many many more benefits than low or moderate intensity cardio. When will people realize that the substrate utilized during cardio DOES NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE it is the overall calorie deficit and metabolic impact made by the cardio vascular work that makes all the difference.
    i never disagreed with you on the immense benefits of including HIIT into ones' cardio plan. i wasn't, however, discussing the greater benefits of one or the other, and the initial poster was speaking specifically of morning cardio.

lesson # 238473: just because you read it on the internet doesn't mean it holds true.

bach - HIIT should NEVER be done on empty.

now i have to go dig up my genetics book

Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by hausgrl
    you need to understand that some things work for some people, while they don't work for others. trial & error.
    I think the only thing these people have tried is fasted state cardio. Because it "works", they fear trying something new. Hey thats fine. But why not give the alternative a go as well.

If its going to give the same if not better result then why starve?

Originally posted by Gareth
    I think the only thing these people have tried is fasted state cardio. Because it "works", they fear trying something new. Hey thats fine. But why not give the alternative a go as well.

If its going to give the same if not better result then why starve?
    because it is bodybuilding dogma

now i have to go dig up my genetics book

Angry

Originally posted by hausgrl
    \

that's not funny... do you know how many books and scientific journal's that's buried under?

Layne "no that's not mt. everest, it's my pile of biochemistry books from college"

blinkboy99 is just really nice. (+1000) blinkboy99 is just really nice. (+1000) blinkboy99 is just really nice. (+1000) blinkboy99 is just really nice. (+1000) blinkboy99 is just really nice. (+1000) blinkboy99 is just really nice. (+1000) blinkboy99 is just really nice. (+1000) blinkboy99 is just really nice. (+1000) blinkboy99 is just really nice. (+1000) blinkboy99 is just really nice. (+1000) blinkboy99 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by spider

y if ketosis? i would think since there r no carbs in ur system cardio would be ok anytime cause ur body is already using fat for fuel

boffo234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boffo234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boffo234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boffo234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boffo234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boffo234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boffo234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boffo234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boffo234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boffo234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boffo234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have done HIIT (Layne's routine), and yeah it's hard, yeah it's fast, and yeah it can hurt, but I tell you what.... it's worth not having to goto the gym and spend 30-40 minutes walkin with the old ladies on the treadmills(that is if your gym has old ladies... and that you do your HIIT on the track). I RAMBLE!!

Man this post was useless.

Look at me I'M AN ATTENTION WHORE!

Originally posted by blinkboy99
    y if ketosis? i would think since there r no carbs in ur system cardio would be ok anytime cause ur body is already using fat for fuel
    THE SUBSTRATE UTILIZED DURING EXERICSE IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS THE CALORIC DEFICIT CREATED BY THAT ACTIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

rottie is a name known to all. (+5000) rottie is a name known to all. (+5000) rottie is a name known to all. (+5000) rottie is a name known to all. (+5000) rottie is a name known to all. (+5000) rottie is a name known to all. (+5000) rottie is a name known to all. (+5000) rottie is a name known to all. (+5000) rottie is a name known to all. (+5000) rottie is a name known to all. (+5000) rottie is a name known to all. (+5000)
    THE SUBSTRATE UTILIZED DURING EXERICSE IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS THE CALORIC DEFICIT CREATED BY THAT ACTIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
    What Layne is trying to tell you here is it doesnt matter what the fuel is, its the caloric deficit, and the metabolic boost from the cardio that is important. I agree.
    Signature donated to the memory of Raprazant.

Daimbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daimbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daimbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daimbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daimbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daimbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daimbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daimbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daimbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daimbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daimbert will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    O.k O.k but what am asking is what to eat before such a hard morning workout.

pinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    HIIT - have something to eat beforehand
    low intensity cardio - can be done on fasted state