ChiSuburbs is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Injured Chest During Tricep Dips

So I haven’t really been working out as often as I wanted to to and decided to hit the gym. I (stupidly) decided to do tricep dips and did 3, then on the 4th one, as I tried to come up, i felt the strangest and most uncomfortable thing, almost like my pecs slid over each other and i felt a pop in my upper sternum, it literally felt like my chest collapsed. As soon as I felt it I let go of the bars and grabbed my chest, and the shape was back to normal immediately. Like it kinda snapped out place and snapped back in I guess. I’ve never felt something like this before, it literally felt like my pecs had slid over each other.

It’s been 2 days and the pain hasn’t gotten better at all. Sneezing is hell, and certain body movements aggravate it. Sit ups hurt, and I can barely do a single pushup now, where I was normally able to do a set of 30. Turning my head left or right far hurts my chest too. When I wake up, the pain is worse. I’m 17, 120 pounds, and 5’ 10’’. I had plans to work out a lot over the summer, and I’m really nervous that I’ve now compromised my chest strength and permanently messed something up. I don’t want this to impede my growth in general, and am sitting here literally rolling over in worry and anxiety.

Does anyone have any suggestions or similar experiences, with any idea of how long this might take to heal?
    Last edited by ChiSuburbs; 04-24-2019 at 08:40 PM.

aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    popping indicates it to be a tendon tear. most likely you are going too far down, past the ROM and it overstretch the tendon causing it to tear.

just sharing my experience, i tore my chest tendon, pec major. heard a pop like you. its been 3 months and i am only back to doing half of what i used to do. even doing pushups for too many reps can cause pain/cramps.
    i don't have insurance or money to go for surgical repair. so i let it heal by itself.

if you got the insurance, you can go for a MRI scan and see if surgical repair is needed to reattach the tendon, so it can heal better.