patrickb7 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Past History of Shoulder Dislocation, Effects on Workout, Seeking Advice

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and relatively new to working out as well.

Quick Background: I've been a super skinny guy my entire life, and finally decided I've had enough of looking like a skeleton and starting hitting the gym last November. After becoming more serious and committed with my routine over the past few months (P/P/L split), I've gained around 10 pounds and noticed some real positive changes!

There's only one issue I've noticed, and that is the shear lack of gains on my rear delts.

I've dislocated my shoulder 4 times in my life, the most recent time being the most brutal (caught a heelside edge while snowboard bombing down a black diamond ~3 years ago, one-arm somersaulted my arm out of socket). I completed physical therapy and haven't had issues or pain since the incident, but I've noticed that my shoulders look skeletally thin from behind but better developed from the front. I have tried including rear delt flys into my routine, yet the last time I did them I felt that familiar near-dislocation 'pushing' stress in my shoulder and the fear of a 5th dislocation has since kept me away from this exercise.

Should I try and patiently refocus on rear delt flys with less weight or is there a safer alternative? The movements I currently have working my posterior delts are overhead shoulder presses and face pulls (plus bent over rows if you could count that) but I'm unsure if either the past injuries or my routine is what's causing the uneven addition of weight in my shoulders. Any help or suggestions would be super appreciated, thanks!

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Whenever you have a subluxation or dislocation of the shoulder you often develop a tear of the labrum which doesn't really heal. Rehab can help stabilize the joint by recruiting other muscles to aid in stabilizing the glenohumeral joint but the real fix is to have surgery on the torn labrum. Typically the first dislocation/subluxation will be handled through conservative measures (rehab), but subsequent dislocation/subluxations are handled through surgery. I suggest that you consult with an Orthopedic Surgeon to look at your shoulder joints to see how stable they are and if you are cleared for lifting. The surgery has a long recovery time but it does tighten up and stabilize the joint and you can usually return to lifting and contact sports