ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000)

The Clean & Press - A nostalgic strength builder (vid included)

Hello gents,

I have always been a fan of the Clean & Press (C & P). Since I moved to a proper lifting gym about 4 weeks ago, I have started doing it and I am already noticing its benefits. I like this lift because of the whole "from the floor to overhead" motion, which is always fun to do and, to me, is a good builder and test of overall strength. Personally, I would have the C & P back in the Olympic program but with strict rules such as locked knees and no hip thrusting. In fact, one of the reasons why I do this lift, as opposed to merely pressing off racks, is because of the nostalgia of the lift. Back in the 40's and 50's, this lift was one of the pillars of all weight training programs whether one was a weightlifter, bodybuilder or recreational lifter. Doing the C & P kind of takes one back into the era where "gyms" were composed of globe barbells, huge dumbbells and heavy rusty kettlebells, and where muscle building was a mere side effect of getting stronger. In case you were wondering, yes, I am a bit of a nostalgic guy.

In my opinion, the pressing motion is a whole upper body (and even gluteal) activator. All the muscles in the back, shoulders and glutes need to be strong enough and linked appropriately to host the weight overhead. I have noticed not only this lift helping my shoulder strength but also back strength for posterior chain lifts (I have also at the same time started doing power cleans and front squats again!). The clean (or power clean) also helps develop power despite the weight used for the lift tends to be lower than that which one can maximally clean/power clean. Moreover, the clean aspect helps one work on coordination and also builds good habits for heavier cleans/power cleans. I always say: "take the time to practice athletic lifts anytime you can", so the C & P is a good opportunity. Adding the clean also makes you work harder and burn more calories and I have used this lift in fat-loss orientated programs with great results. Likewise, perfect technique is not needed on the clean and one can get away with merely pulling the barbell up in a safe manner and then pressing it, thus anyone with access to a barbell can do it.

I filmed myself yesterday out of curiosity for how my body would work in this lift. You can see all the muscles in the back activating throughout the pressing motion thus it is clear that this exercise is not a mere "shoulder exercise" but rather, a compound full-body enhancing lift. If one is to omit the clean part of the lift, I always advocate to do the lift standing up and strict so as to reap its maximum benefit.

in the video below, I am doing 187lbs for two reps on my 8th set with the same weight, hence the second rep is a bit slow. I like to do a 8x2 rep/set scheme on my compound exercises. Body weight is 180lbs on the dot. I will soon be posting a bit of my recent health/lifting story on my blog as I only started lifting about 4 months ago after a health incident a year ago almost killed me and left me in a devastated state (I will also post before/after pics!).

Anyway, what are your opinions on this lift? Do you do it? Do you use other lifting devices instead such as a log, axle, dumbbells or kettlebells? Do you use it for strength building or stamina? Not interested in it, why?

Look forward to your replies guys.

All the best.

Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Overrated. Clean is no deadlift or squat and the press is no bench press. This sounds like a I'm a powerlifting, big 3 fan boy. I'm not. But there are thousands of people who are have become strong by doing those movements. No-one has ever tried getting strong with only the clean and press because it would take too much time and be too frustrating.

Intense as fuk bro austin.j.taylor's Avatar
    austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I feel that clean (power, full, continental, however) and press, both strict and push/jerk. Is the ultimate test of power.

I press twice a week and hit logs, axles, and one arm DB quite often.
    ★cVc★

My Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174578931

ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
    Overrated. Clean is no deadlift or squat and the press is no bench press. This sounds like a I'm a powerlifting, big 3 fan boy. I'm not. But there are thousands of people who are have become strong by doing those movements. No-one has ever tried getting strong with only the clean and press because it would take too much time and be too frustrating.
    We are not talking about using only this exercise to get strong but as part of a solid program. As a matter of fact, the program I designed and am doing includes this lift with more power cleans, front squats, back squats and plenty of one arm lifts. I don't do bench press because I dont like it. One would need to do other lifts to complement the benefits of this lift in a program.

Originally Posted by austin.j.taylor View Post
    I feel that clean (power, full, continental, however) and press, both strict and push/jerk. Is the ultimate test of power.

I press twice a week and hit logs, axles, and one arm DB quite often.
    Nice to hear from a strongman lifter. How do you go about cleaning the DB to set it to be one arm pressed? I was reading the other day of oldtime strongmen having a particular technique to getting it there. Myself, I first snatch it, then lower it and then press it.

Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by ManWithCurls View Post
    We are not talking about using only this exercise to get strong but as part of a solid program. As a matter of fact, the program I designed and am doing includes this lift with more power cleans, front squats, back squats and plenty of one arm lifts. I don't do bench press because I dont like it. One would need to do other lifts to complement the benefits of this lift in a program.
    You might disagree, but I think that if an exercise doesn't work on its own AT ALL, it's pretty useless exercise.

LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You might disagree, but I think that if an exercise doesn't work on its own AT ALL, it's pretty useless exercise.
    what r u talking about

Originally Posted by LiftHeavy85 View Post
    what r u talking about
    Ok, lets start slow. How much do you speak English?

BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    how the fawk is a clean & press useless? What's more usefull in real life than being able to pick something up from the ground (like a hot chick with big tits) and press it overhead?

Originally Posted by BrobiWanKenobi View Post
    how the fawk is a clean & press useless? What's more usefull in real life than being able to pick something up from the ground (like a hot chick with big tits) and press it overhead?
    I'm not saying that being good at the movement is useless.

LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Ok, lets start slow. How much do you speak English?
    lets start slow...you're an idiot.

Intense as fuk bro austin.j.taylor's Avatar
    austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nice to hear from a strongman lifter. How do you go about cleaning the DB to set it to be one arm pressed? I was reading the other day of oldtime strongmen having a particular technique to getting it there. Myself, I first snatch it, then lower it and then press it.
    I model my technique after this:

I am not nearly as awesome as Brian Shaw is, but I use very similar method. The problem with the DB snatch is any DB over 115 is gonna be touch to snatch. I also use a loadable handle to 1 arm, and thats really hard to snatch.
    ★cVc★

My Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174578931

dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks OP! I like learning new things, have you ever tried reverse decline bench to failure with a false grip as a substitute for regular bench? If not give it a try and video it for me, it's a pretty nostalgic strength builder as well.

Originally Posted by BrobiWanKenobi View Post
    This.

Coincidentally, I have found this lift to help with lifting chicks overhead (have been asked to do this when I tell girls that I have competed in Olympic weightlifting).

Originally Posted by dtaps24 View Post
    Thanks OP! I like learning new things, have you ever tried reverse decline bench to failure with a false grip as a substitute for regular bench? If not give it a try and video it for me, it's a pretty nostalgic strength builder as well.
    That's a funny post although I would expect a decent attorney to be able to come up with a more hilarious (albeit ironic!) post since the good ones are versed in the verbal language. Mind you, keywords here being "decent" and "good".

Funny post nonetheless, brah.

Originally Posted by austin.j.taylor View Post
    I model my technique after this:

I am not nearly as awesome as Brian Shaw is, but I use very similar method. The problem with the DB snatch is any DB over 115 is gonna be touch to snatch. I also use a loadable handle to 1 arm, and thats really hard to snatch.
    Thanks for that. I have seen various forms of getting the dumbbell up and that is a good illustration.

I am trying to locate the article I read on the oldschool technique to one arm clean a dumbbell. I will post it when i find it as it gives info on how oldschool strongmen used to go about it.

All the best.

Crazy as a **** house rat YoBigFatMomma's Avatar
    YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm inclined to agree that the clean and press is a less than useful exercise because the clean portion is limited to a weight that you can press, so its necessarily submaximal. Your better off hitting some heavy cleans and then doing clean and presses as a back off for a little extra volume. I have heard that cleaning the weight before pressing it makes the press easier because it disinhibits the shoulders.
    385/245/485 @ 210

┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ
    <|>
    ┌8====D
    ⌡ \

Progressive Overlord itsperseus's Avatar
    itsperseus is just really nice. (+1000) itsperseus is just really nice. (+1000) itsperseus is just really nice. (+1000) itsperseus is just really nice. (+1000) itsperseus is just really nice. (+1000) itsperseus is just really nice. (+1000) itsperseus is just really nice. (+1000) itsperseus is just really nice. (+1000) itsperseus is just really nice. (+1000) itsperseus is just really nice. (+1000) itsperseus is just really nice. (+1000)
    Love old school lifts..clean and press is always impressive to me because it demonstrates so much power if you ask me, especially when there are no legs put into the press. I've been doing these more lately..here's a cool vid I think you'll enjoy..although I posted this in a different thread yesterday so I hope people don't get mad at me for being repetitive

EDIT: when I said it demonstrates so much power, I meant the the press part of the lift. Specifically when I see lifters put little or no leg strength into it. Lookin' for another vid of Zydrunas Savickas I saw awhile back

Originally Posted by YoBigFatMomma View Post
    I'm inclined to agree that the clean and press is a less than useful exercise because the clean portion is limited to a weight that you can press, so its necessarily submaximal. Your better off hitting some heavy cleans and then doing clean and presses as a back off for a little extra volume. I have heard that cleaning the weight before pressing it makes the press easier because it disinhibits the shoulders.
    To be honest, I doubt the clean is doing much to add strength to the lift. Having said that, I like to take weights from the floor overhead hence the nostalgic aspect of the exercise. I follow this exercise with heavy power cleans after so I agree with what you mention although I prefer the order to be C& P, the power cleans.

From experience, the press is not easier if you clean the weight before (unless you are not resetting the weight at the shoulders from the clean and just taking advantage off the recovery to lift it off straight like a push press). I can press about 10-15lbs more from taking the barbell off racks than my C & P. Also cleaning the weight beforehand, despite being relatively light, takes energy and tires you before commencing the press so it certainly is not easier than a press off racks.

Originally Posted by itsperseus View Post
    Love old school lifts..clean and press is always impressive to me because it demonstrates so much power if you ask me, especially when there are no legs put into the press. I've been doing these more lately..here's a cool vid I think you'll enjoy..although I posted this in a different thread yesterday so I hope people don't get mad at me for being repetitive

EDIT: when I said it demonstrates so much power, I meant the the press part of the lift. Specifically when I see lifters put little or no leg strength into it. Lookin' for another vid of Zydrunas Savickas I saw awhile back
    Thanks for your post, this is one my of favourite videos and I always go back to watch it as it truly is inspiring.

What I love about this lift is that anybody can practise it without having to worry about technique as you'd otherwise do with other "from the floor to overhead" exercises such as the snatch or clean & jerk. It is a full body strength builder available to anyone and it is fun to do as it takes you back to the aforementioned era of strongmen and gyms only having globe barbells and dumbbells.

All the best.

skills101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skills101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skills101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skills101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skills101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skills101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skills101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skills101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skills101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skills101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skills101 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for your post, this is one my of favourite videos and I always go back to watch it as it truly is inspiring.

What I love about this lift is that anybody can practise it without having to worry about technique as you'd otherwise do with other "from the floor to overhead" exercises such as the snatch or clean & jerk. It is a full body strength builder available to anyone and it is fun to do as it takes you back to the aforementioned era of strongmen and gyms only having globe barbells and dumbbells.

All the best.
    You might enjoy this one too

I'm weak, but I'm working on it.
    Started lifting 4/10
    350/245/463/155x5/225 S/BP/DL/Press/P-Clean @ 190# BW, 12/12/10
    Goal for 12/12/2010: 405/285/515/180/255

“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.”
    -Thomas Jefferson

Originally Posted by skills101 View Post
    You might enjoy this one too

Thanks for your post! Have watched the entire video. It is amazing to see the shoulder development of those lifters which proves the shoulder strengthening and developing properties of the press. There is no info on the video but by the title I am assuming it is a US competition?

All the best.

BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Been doing cleans and presses separately so far, though I really like the idea of using C&P to back off of heavy power cleans. Thanks YoBigFat, reps to yah!

ManWithCurls, tomm I have planned power cleans, ohp, c&p and then front squat to wrap it up. Any critique on exercises/order chosen? It seems you've been working with those exercises longer than I have.

Originally Posted by BrianLD View Post
    Been doing cleans and presses separately so far, though I really like the idea of using C&P to back off of heavy power cleans. Thanks YoBigFat, reps to yah!

ManWithCurls, tomm I have planned power cleans, ohp, c&p and then front squat to wrap it up. Any critique on exercises/order chosen? It seems you've been working with those exercises longer than I have.
    Hi,

I would do the order as follows:

- C & P
    - OHP
    - Power cleans
    - Front squats

Rationale? The key muscle region for these exercises is the mid-section. Moreover, these are tough exercises requiring differing ranges of skill and strength so start with the more skilled ones first. This means do the C & P first (the most cardiovascular taxing exercise of all), then move to OHP because you need a relatively fresh mid-section to handle the most weight (remember you can handle more weight here than in the C & P), then power cleans which do not require the lumbar region as much as presses and lastly go onto front squats because squats should always be the last exercise (squatting while systemically fatigued from other compound exercises I find does build even more strength and stamina than squatting first, plus squatting in Olympic weightlifting is always the last exercise).

My actual training sessions go like this:

- One arm strict press
    - One hand snatch
    - C & P (strict press)
    - Power clean
    - Power clean & Front squat combo
    - Back squats
    - Turkish get up
    - Prehab & light rep multiple exercises

I model my training session with what I have mentioned above to my suggested order.

Let me know how it goes.

All the best.

skills101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skills101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skills101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skills101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skills101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skills101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skills101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skills101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skills101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skills101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skills101 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for your post! Have watched the entire video. It is amazing to see the shoulder development of those lifters which proves the shoulder strengthening and developing properties of the press. There is no info on the video but by the title I am assuming it is a US competition?

All the best.
    I assume so, but I could never find any information on it.
    I'm weak, but I'm working on it.
    Started lifting 4/10
    350/245/463/155x5/225 S/BP/DL/Press/P-Clean @ 190# BW, 12/12/10
    Goal for 12/12/2010: 405/285/515/180/255

“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.”
    -Thomas Jefferson