chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Gym closing for refurbishment

As the title suggests my gym is closing for 2 weeks while they put in a new floor and some new gear. Good news is that we are finally getting a calf raise machine and a new leg press. I don't want to stop training for those two weeks so I'd appreciate some suggestions on what I can do to keep me 'ticking over'. I'm guessing body weight exercises but in honesty I'm no expert. Help appreciated.

dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by chunkysnowman View Post
    As the title suggests my gym is closing for 2 weeks while they put in a new floor and some new gear. Good news is that we are finally getting a calf raise machine and a new leg press. I don't want to stop training for those two weeks so I'd appreciate some suggestions on what I can do to keep me 'ticking over'. I'm guessing body weight exercises but in honesty I'm no expert. Help appreciated.
    I see your weight has been prgressively going down, I would use this two week period to nail your diet and drop a few pounds while maintaining your exercise with bodyweight exercises or find another gym that you could use for this two week period. As your in the UK most local council run gyms can be used on a pay as you go basis, They are generally not very good but at least you can get something done while the refurb is being done.

On a side note are you getting two weeks membership refunded?
    Instagram - @dazlittle123

pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Find another gym and pay as you go, or see if they will let you sign up for a couple of weeks. A lot of gyms give you a free 2 weeks or a free week. Take advantage of the offer. You may find another gym you like better.

Ray
    Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven... so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6: 1-4

NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you have been lifting hard for months, taking a two week break from it can be very good for you, or you can do a ton of other things if you like; pushups and a whole bunch of other bodyweight exercises, walks, etc. You can also usually just find another gym and pay as you go as suggested by pastorgbc.

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by pastorgbc View Post
    A lot of gyms give you a free 2 weeks or a free week.
    Yep, almost every gym will do this if you play the game.

First, don’t let them know you already work out, pretend like you want to start…but aren’t sure and you heard that some gyms will give you a free trial membership for a couple weeks to see if you like it. IN other words, act stupid and like you don’t know what you are talking about.

Second, sit down to talk with them about membership prices, and act like you are really interested…make sure to ask about any deals they have if you pay a year or two in advance. Wink wink

When I was 20 I used to work in a health club, we gave everyone who called or came in a free two week membership. After the first session, they would get sat down by a salesman and give the spiel. Most people joined for a year…and never returned for a second workout.

Most gyms are concerned with your money, not with you or your health…so play on that.

(sorry if this sounds evil)

pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by grubman View Post
    Yep, almost every gym will do this if you play the game.

First, don’t let them know you already work out, pretend like you want to start…but aren’t sure and you heard that some gyms will give you a free trial membership for a couple weeks to see if you like it. IN other words, act stupid and like you don’t know what you are talking about.

Second, sit down to talk with them about membership prices, and act like you are really interested…make sure to ask about any deals they have if you pay a year or two in advance. Wink wink

When I was 20 I used to work in a health club, we gave everyone who called or came in a free two week membership. After the first session, they would get sat down by a salesman and give the spiel. Most people joined for a year…and never returned for a second workout.

Most gyms are concerned with your money, not with you or your health…so play on that.

(sorry if this sounds evil)
    You don't have to be stealthy about it. Most gyms are up front about their test drives. I would not ever join a gym unless they gave me a chance to give it a free test drive first.

Ray
    Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven... so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6: 1-4

chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'd thought about PAYG at another gym for the two weeks. The gym that I use is a local authority gym (run by Everyone Active) and they are responsible for running the 5 nearest gyms to me: rather stupidly, IMO, they are refurbing ALL of them at the same time. They say its cheaper for them to do it all in one go using the same company. Other than those 5 gyms the closest is absolutely miles away.

What I really need from you guys, kindly, are some examples of good body weight exercises or a link to a reputable program that I can follow. I'll also be using the same exercises/program when we visit my wife's family in Poland early next year as I'll be away from the gym then for an entire month.

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    What I really need from you guys, kindly, are some examples of good body weight exercises or a link to a reputable program that I can follow.
    Well, this took a 2 second search of this site:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker20.htm

...and this:

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/bame4.htm

Just plug "workouts without weights" into google and you'll have more crap that you can surf through in two weeks...hell, there are even books written about this if you have the time.
    Last edited by grubman; 10-06-2011 at 08:07 AM.

kim2480 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kim2480 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kim2480 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You could always just jog.
    A two week break from weight lifting isn't going to be detrimental to whatever strength and mass gains you've made.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by pastorgbc View Post
    Find another gym and pay as you go, or see if they will let you sign up for a couple of weeks.
    ^^^^This. I've never been in a gym that didn't offer at least "day rate." As Pastor states, many will negotiate a short-term contract with you.

Shouldn't be any problem at all, OP.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    ^^^^This. I've never been in a gym that didn't offer at least "day rate." As Pastor states, many will negotiate a short-term contract with you.

Shouldn't be any problem at all, OP.
    There are no other gyms within reasonable travel distance given that I do not drive.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    There are no other gyms within reasonable travel distance given that I do not drive.
    I didn't realize that you weren't in the US.

In that case, with no alternative, you can follow the links to bodyweight exercises, or, simply put your focus on CV exercise for the next couple of weeks. Brisk walks, coupled with keeping close track of your macros, will keep you from falling backwards. Just stay active however you can.

I understand your anxiety about the 2 weeks away from the gym, but don't stress over it. Keep a positive outlook, do what you're able to do, and you'll be good to go.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Perfect time for an "active rest." Jogging, power walking, swimming, bicycle riding. Keeps the fat away, the motor running, and lets the tiny little injuries heal.

Otherwise, the U.S. Army training manual for physical fitness -- free online for your viewing pleasure. Or, maybe the SAS has one, too, if you got a problem with the colonies.

Cheers.

Audaces fortuna iuvat BillReilly's Avatar
    BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000)
    Go to Home Depot and buy a 50 pound sack of sand or whatever is cheap. Carry it around the block a few times every night.