1 6.25%
  • Balance WPI

0 0%
  • Cytosport MuscleMilk

2 12.50%
  • XPI Myotein

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Simmo5540 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Best post workout protein powder ?

hello to all i've been doing some research on protein powders as i am yet to start using them so far i've mostly gone off forums to avoid the marketing crap that websites feed you. i'm looking for a post workout supplement i have the others worked out that i plan on using.
    The main brands that have come up multiple times with good reviews so far are

optimum nutrition 100% gold standard
    AST VP2
    BSN syntha 6
    Gaspari myofusion
    Muscle Tech nitro tech
    Dymatize
    Cytosport muscle milk
    Balance WPI
    XPI myotein

if anyone could give me some help if you've taken any of these products if they work or not, also if anyone has a product they are currently using that they have visible results from please list it. P.S this excludes the ON users cause i've read enough reviews and seen enough prmotion for it on almost every website i've been on to figure it's relatively good

FarazF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FarazF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FarazF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FarazF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FarazF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FarazF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FarazF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FarazF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FarazF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FarazF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FarazF will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    They will all give very similar results mate. I wouldn't bother producing cortisol over which one to choose. I go with unflavoured pure WPI. Just make sure you add some dextrose (or any other HIGH GI) carbs in your post workout shake (approx 30g).

snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by FarazF View Post
    I wouldn't bother producing cortisol over which one to choose.
    a lot of cortisol was produced in the making of that poll, i bet..

Just make sure you add some dextrose (or any other HIGH GI) carbs in your post workout shake (approx 30g).
    why? is that the only shake i need to worry about adding a carb to? and why dextrose?

and while we're getting technical, what kind of WPI do you use? (filtration process)
    is it ion-exchange, or other?
    enquiring minds wanna know..

poll sux OP. if you want info on those proteinz, then go read the write-ups and "reviews" (however it is that one reviews protein)

you want a real protein powder?
    check out Big Blend.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bcour/big-blend.html

CDMMA is a name known to all. (+5000) CDMMA is a name known to all. (+5000) CDMMA is a name known to all. (+5000) CDMMA is a name known to all. (+5000) CDMMA is a name known to all. (+5000) CDMMA is a name known to all. (+5000) CDMMA is a name known to all. (+5000) CDMMA is a name known to all. (+5000) CDMMA is a name known to all. (+5000) CDMMA is a name known to all. (+5000) CDMMA is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Protein generally = protein, if you hit your macros at the end of the day, you'll see no difference in results.

XF UP 2.0, Trutein and Myofusion are all good options though.

snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by CDMMA View Post
    Protein generally = protein, if you hit your macros at the end of the day, you'll see no difference in results.

XF UP 2.0, Trutein and Myofusion are all good options though.
    welllll..one out of three of those are on "The List".

so, two of your choices must just suck.

CDMMA is a name known to all. (+5000) CDMMA is a name known to all. (+5000) CDMMA is a name known to all. (+5000) CDMMA is a name known to all. (+5000) CDMMA is a name known to all. (+5000) CDMMA is a name known to all. (+5000) CDMMA is a name known to all. (+5000) CDMMA is a name known to all. (+5000) CDMMA is a name known to all. (+5000) CDMMA is a name known to all. (+5000) CDMMA is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by snagency View Post
    welllll..one out of three of those are on "The List".

so, two of your choices must just suck.
    If only they made the supplement nomination list.

FarazF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FarazF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FarazF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FarazF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FarazF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FarazF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FarazF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FarazF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FarazF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FarazF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FarazF will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by snagency View Post
    why? is that the only shake i need to worry about adding a carb to? and why dextrose?

and while we're getting technical, what kind of WPI do you use? (filtration process)
    is it ion-exchange, or other?
    enquiring minds wanna know..
    Well i usually don't eat anything 1.5hours-2hours before my workout. Sip on BCAA's during my workout. Have 45g WPI + 30g dextrose (quick release carbs to spike insulin) for post <15min after my workout - typically followed by a nice juicy steak + veggies 30min after. As far as my other shakes go, i use WPC during the day but i usually eat them with a light meal... so i get my carbs from there

Also the WPI uses Cross Flow Micro-Filtration. Its a really source and have used it for just over a year now and saves me 70-80% compared to other whey - i like to save money where possible.

Well i usually don't eat anything 1.5hours-2hours before my workout. Sip on BCAA's during my workout. Have 45g WPI + 30g dextrose (quick release carbs to spike insulin) for post <15min after my workout - typically followed by a nice juicy steak + veggies 30min after. As far as my other shakes go, i use WPC during the day but i usually eat them with a light meal... so i get my carbs from there
    aha. not a bad set-up my friend, but also not set in stone for everyone elses use.
    you'll get plenty of debate on the whole "gotta spike teh insulin levels after w/o" philosophy, as this practice is indeed not mandatory whatsoever.

Also the WPI uses Cross Flow Micro-Filtration.
    and that's a good answer as well.
    if you are buying WPI with good profile/processing AND saving 70-80% over other wheys, you are indeed
    doinitrite.

Jhemre will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jhemre will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jhemre will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jhemre will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jhemre will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jhemre will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jhemre will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jhemre will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jhemre will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jhemre will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jhemre will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by CDMMA View Post
    This...

Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Also the WPI uses Cross Flow Micro-Filtration. Its a really source and have used it for just over a year now and saves me 70-80% compared to other whey - i like to save money where possible.
    Quote for you.

Originally Posted by alan aragon View Post
    Here, I'll help you...........

The postexercise "anabolic window" is a highly misused & abused concept. Preworkout nutrition all but cancels the urgency, unless you're an endurance athlete with multiple glycogen-depleting events in a single day. Getting down to brass tacks, a relatively recent study (Power et al. 2009) showed that a 45g dose of whey protein isolate takes appx 50 minutes to cause blood AA levels to peak. Resulting insulin levels, which peaked at 40 minutes after ingestion, remained at elevations known to max out the inhibition of muscle protein breakdown (15-30 mU/L) for 120 minutes after ingestion. This dose takes 3 hours for insulin & AA levels to return to baseline from the point of ingestion. The inclusion of carbs to this dose would cause AA & insulin levels to peak higher & stay elevated above baseline even longer.

So much for the anabolic peephole & the urgency to down AAs during your weight training workout; they are already seeping into circulation (& will continue to do so after your training bout is done). Even in the event that a preworkout meal is skipped, the anabolic effect of the postworkout meal is increased as a supercompensatory response (Deldicque et al, 2010). Moving on, another recent study (Staples et al, 2010) found that a substantial dose of carbohydrate (50g maltodextrin) added to 25g whey protein was unable to further increase postexercise net muscle protein balance compared to the protein dose without carbs. Again, this is not to say that adding carbs at this point is counterproductive, but it certainly doesn't support the idea that you must get your lightning-fast postexercise carb orgy for optimal results.

To add to this... Why has the majority of longer-term research failed to show any meaningful differences in nutrient timing relative to the resistance training bout? It's likely because the body is smarter than we give it credit for. Most people don't know that as a result of a single training bout, the receptivity of muscle to protein dosing can persist for at least 24 hours: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21289204

More from earlier in the thread:

Here's what you're not seeming to grasp: the "windows" for taking advantage of nutrient timing are not little peepholes. They're more like bay windows of a mansion. You're ignoring just how long the anabolic effects are of a typical mixed meal. Depending on the size of a meal, it takes a good 1-2 hours for circulating substrate levels to peak, and it takes a good 3-6 hours (or more) for everythng to drop back down to baseline.

You're also ignoring the fact that the anabolic effects of a meal are maxed out at much lower levels than typical meals drive insulin & amino acids up to. Furthermore, you're also ignoring the body's ability of anabolic (& fat-oxidative) supercompensation when forced to work in the absence of fuels. So, metaphorically speaking, our physiology basically has the universe mapped out and you're thinking it needs to be taught addition & subtraction.

Originally Posted by Ninetysix View Post
    Quote for you.
    and now i'll play on the other side of the fence.

just as FarazF tells what works for him, and i say to him it is not "cut and dried"..so too do i say the same to you.

at the end of the day, whatever method you have, if it works then keep on doing it.