hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000)

Individuals that maintain low BF year round, how strict of nutrition plan?

This is probably a question that ahs been asked before but just wanted to see the different views of those that are currently participating in the forums and training logs. For those that have the discipline to maintain a low BF year round (=<12%) how strict of nutrition plan do you follow?

1. Cheat meals, how often and how far off the plan?
    2. Social drinking if any?
    3. If your employment requires, how do you maintain during business lunches and dinners?

Thanks,
    David
    Consistency = WIN

I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Phil 4:13

David

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by hazto View Post
    For those that have the discipline to maintain a low BF year round (=<12%) how strict of nutrition plan do you follow?
    I have maintained low body fat for the past 4 years and intend to continue to do so because it is really not that difficult if you have a good nutrition plan in place and stick to it. I also have not had any trouble adding lean mass without carrying a bunch of unnecessary fat.

I find it easier to control my food intake if I schedule 6 meals a day. Usually 5 of those have pretty much the same things in them every day so I can make sure I get my macros in without going over or under. Those five meals are always measured out items I really like to eat, so it's not that big of a deal to eat them every day.

My supper in the evening is always different, so it is my only real variable to keep track of. By the end of the day, I have all of my nutritional requirements met without having given it much thought.

I don't cheat. If I decide to eat a big meal, I compensate for it by adjusting from my macros elsewhere. While I normally eat six time per day, I have been known to only eat 4 if I want to have a meal outside of my normal eating schedule.

None. No exceptions.

3. If your employment requires, how do you maintain during business lunches and dinners?
    My employment does not "require" any type of business eating. If it did, I would make the same adjustments I described above.

I have followed the "Portion Control" method of eating for quite some time now, and have found it to be a very successful way of easily portioning out your food. Here is a link the the article called "Skip the Bulk and Stay Shredded All Year" if you're interested:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/eating_made_simple.htm

chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Slightly different take on your question becuase I don't have low BF yet...

I was always told that I'm an endomorph and so I put on weight easily and find it hard to lose it. For years I subscribed to that I think because it was a convenient way of excusing my slobbish behaviour. My weight is steadily coming down and my bodyfat% is now close to 30% (from over 37%). I thought I would really struggle to discipline myself, but actually, only the first few weeks were tough. Once I was over that initial hurdle I haven't really been tempted to cheat. IMO its all in the mind; if you convince yourself its going to be tough then it will be.

In answer to your questions:
    1. Why does a cheat meal need to be viewed as a cheat meal? The very name implies you are doing something bad and that in itself leads to a certain mindset, i.e. yummy/fattening food is taboo. Its better to think in terms of portion control: if you feel like something then go and have it, but just don't go mad. Think the bigger picture: the weight 'books' have to balance out. If I have a piece of choc cake now, I acknowledge that its going to throw my calorie balance out so I just go do some extra walking.
    2. Same applies as 1. Just keep track, balance it out, and don't go mad. The danger of social drinking, of course, is the extras that can go with it: kebabs, chips, nuts, and all the other little snacks that often go with a night out.
    3. Again, portion control: the biggest hurdle I had to get over was leaving food on my plate when I'm full. I was brought up to "eat whats on your plate son" so at first this concept was completely alien to me. I often have to meet people for lunch/dinner as I'm a writer these days. My publisher especially loves eating BIG and will polish off a starter, main and desert. I just tell myself that I'm just going to have the main. Don't be ashamed to ask for a small portion.

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I keep my body fat percent low, ranging from just under 6% for contests and a maximum of under 9% otherwise, year round by avoiding excess carbohydrates and fast foods. I avoid breads, pastas, cereals, and most fruits. My carbohydrate sources are yams, quinoa, occasionally rice, and green vegetables. I avoid fried and greasy fast foods.

The number and timing of daily meals vary and I see no need to adhere to a strict 6 meals a day schedule. Micro managing is unnecessary in my opinion when not preparing for a contest. The key is keeping total caloric intake and macronutients for the week within a desired range.

When I'm not preparing for a contest and in my heavy training routine I do increase my consumption of pastries and chocolate candy...of coarse for energy

I'm into my third year of maintaining the aforementioned body fat range with this approach.
    Last edited by JerryB; 10-02-2011 at 06:58 AM.

All my PRs are history HoustonTXMuscle's Avatar
    HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    My bf% has been below 10 since April of this year. Like Bo_Flecks, I eat 6 meals/day and pay close attention to the macros in my daily meal plan, making adjustments if necessary (extremely rare). Foods are measured, gluten and dairy free, never fried, and I don't cheat and eat anything off-list. Perhaps 2 glasses/month of red wine. Tho my refrigerator is stocked with beer for family and friends, I've not drunk one since July 2010. Am retired, so # 3 doesn't apply. However, as my meals are prepared and boxed once/week, I often carry them with me if going to sporting events, car shows and parties at friends homes.
    Inactivity Kills!!!

My journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140991491 Age is NOT an acceptable excuse.

Played with dinosaurs as a child. Back then everyone was thin; it was a matter of out-running the raptors or being one of their meals.

db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    For those who are maintaining below 12% - would you say that most of your weight training is done in primarily hypertrophy styled work outs?
    01/07/06 - Quit Drinking. 03/15/08 - Quit Smoking.
    06/01/09 - At 118lbs, started lifting, intarweb fasting, and crab backtraced cycling.

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by db_ggmm View Post
    For those who are maintaining below 12% - would you say that most of your weight training is done in primarily hypertrophy styled work outs?
    All my weight training is to maintain muscle hypertrophy.

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    would you say that most of your weight training is done in primarily hypertrophy styled work outs?
    Yes. As a bodybuilder, hypertrophy is my number one goal.

I am always trying to make the weight work the muscle, rather than the muscle lifting the weight. If you are going to be a bodybuilder, you have to think like one. For me, strength is secondary and a way to evaluate forward progress.

If my goal was to be as big and strong as physically possible, I probably would not be too concerned about keeping my body fat as low as I do. But that is not my goal. Don't get me wrong... I have plenty of strength, but there is no tie breaker question on stage of, "How much ya' bench?"

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes. As I age, it is even more important IMO.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by hazto View Post
    For those that have the discipline to maintain a low BF year round (=<12%) how strict of nutrition plan do you follow?
    I maintain 12-13%. That suits me and my personal ideal.

Rather than eating 'cheat' meals, I simply eat what I enjoy, and make the macros fit my daily requirement. I'll temper this by saying I don't have much of a sweet tooth, nor do I crave excessively greasy foods. I'll further temper it though by say that if I did enjoy those type foods, I'd figure-in reasonable portions into my daily requirement.

There is no need to limit one's self to boiled chicken, plain rice, and broccoli. Figure out what's in the foods you really enjoy, and then use that information to your advantage.

Personally I don't drink. If you choose to use alcohol, just remember that moderation is key in all things, and also to figure the calories into your daily requirement. Many fruit-juice-based cocktails have mass quantities of calories in them.

Smart menu choices, and having a good, educated idea of what's in your meal, go a long way here.

The bottom line, as always, is in using good judgement, moderation, and discipline. There's no need to continually deny yourself foods that you really like; just fit them into your daily requirement of P/C/F.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Cheat meals? Constantly.

Alcohol? Friday through Sunday

Employment? What's that?

Training? hypertrophy to maintain. I'm at my genetic max so I just want to keep what I have.

If I wanted to go below 10% I'd have to be more strict But I like a glass of wine and a burger sometimes
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

doinmiabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) doinmiabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) doinmiabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) doinmiabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) doinmiabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) doinmiabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) doinmiabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) doinmiabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) doinmiabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) doinmiabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) doinmiabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Basically, I stay consistent throughout the week in my diet. I don't compete and blah blah blah, but my bodyfat is low and it's just easier to stay the course than it is to bulk and cut (at 51 years old). I also do the 6 meals a day plan, but I don't measure out what I'm eating or figure out the calories I consume each day. I guess because I have no interest in competing, getting down to 'specifics' just doesn't interest me. I like to lift, I like to eat clean because it's crucial to ones health and looking good. That being said: I do like a pizza once (or twice) a week. That is the only time I will cheat with food...but...

Yes (thank God!). My "extended" weekend starts on Thursday evening and goes until Sunday night. However, I do not drink anything more than 2 glasses of red wine per evening. No beer.

This can be tough from an eating and drinking perspective for your "average" person. I think once eating clean is part of your everyday diet it's second nature to just order "healthy". It's no different than going to dinner with my girl on a Saturday night: Smart choices doesn't mean that the food has to taste like cr@p.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by doinmiabs View Post

Basically, I stay consistent throughout the week in my diet. I don't compete and blah blah blah, but my bodyfat is low and it's just easier to stay the course than it is to bulk and cut (at 51 years old). I also do the 6 meals a day plan, but I don't measure out what I'm eating or figure out the calories I consume each day. I guess because I have no interest in competing, getting down to 'specifics' just doesn't interest me. I like to lift, I like to eat clean because it's crucial to ones health and looking good. That being said: I do like a pizza once (or twice) a week. That is the only time I will cheat with food...but...

Yes (thank God!). My "extended" weekend starts on Thursday evening and goes until Sunday night. However, I do not drink anything more than 2 glasses of red wine per evening. No beer.

This can be tough from an eating and drinking perspective for your "average" person. I think once eating clean is part of your everyday diet it's second nature to just order "healthy". It's no different than going to dinner with my girl on a Saturday night: Smart choices doesn't mean that the food has to taste like cr@p.
    See...... You don't have to go nuts over details if you just use common sense. We still need to live and enjoy life. If you're obsessing over your diet and not enjoying the obsession then don't do it.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    See...... You don't have to go nuts over details if you just use common sense. We still need to live and enjoy life. If you're obsessing over your diet and not enjoying the obsession then don't do it.
    ^^^^This.

And I'll simply add that if you hate your food, you're doing it wrong.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733