Jeffro72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeffro72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeffro72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeffro72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeffro72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeffro72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeffro72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeffro72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeffro72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeffro72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeffro72 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

What program to do if I also do other sports?

I've been scouring the forums and testing different routines for a few years now, and I've learned a TON. However, I still can't seem to find a way to combine lifting weights for size and strength, with my love of doing board sports into something that really works well.

Both require recovery time, so they tend to get in the way of each other. When it's time to recover from a workout day, I want to go ride. And when it's time to recover from riding, it's time for the next workout. So recovery is always an issue, and sadly, I'm no longer 18.

Sure, I could just bite the bullet and give up on or the other, but there has to be a way to combine them both, even if it means much less progress on size and strength.

As stated, I've thoroughly read most of the main stream programs. But they are geared towards maximum rate progress leaving little for anything else. I've tried them and burnout quickly if I also do the board sports. So it's got to be a custom routine.

Currently, I've started doing an upper/lower split, one set, at about 80% intensity (or 8 reps out of a possible 10, estimated). I can't stand HIT programs, so not going to do that due to the negative CNS affects I get from them. Been there done that.

Here's the workout I'm going to try from here on out, at least until I find something that makes more sense.
    Lower Day:
    Squats
    Leg Curl
    Calf Raises
    Foot Flexors

Upper Day:
    Bench
    Bent Rows
    Bicep Curls
    Tricep Press

-Looking for general size and strength, with a bit of a bodybuilding look (hence the isolations)

-have never been able to feel SLDL's in my hams no matter what I've tried over the years, so had to resort to Leg Curls

-Always a day off between workout days or board riding days for recovery.

-I figure I'll just microload (with 1.25 lb weights) since I'll likely barely be "touching" the muscles.

-Maybe in 5 years, I'll be up to where you guys were after only one year.

-If none of this works, and no program can be found, I'll become a lousy nightclub comic, and tell stories of trying to do board sports while also trying to make size and strength gains.

Maybe someone with more wisdom than I has a better recommendation? Many thanks in advance if you do.

-Jeff

Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    1st
    O35 5'8" Crew

MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Jeffro72 View Post
    I've tried them and burnout quickly if I also do the board sports.
    -Jeff
    Stupid question, what board sports are we talking about here? Surf board or skate board? or did I completely miss the mark?

Jeffro72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeffro72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeffro72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeffro72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeffro72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeffro72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeffro72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeffro72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeffro72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeffro72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeffro72 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MecGen View Post
    Stupid question, what board sports are we talking about here? Surf board or skate board? or did I completely miss the mark?
    Kiteboarding, surfing, stand up paddleboarding, snowboarding, etc.

I do them intensely for hours on end.

Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I still cant tell if this guy is for real...I'll tell ya this though, I live in a ski town almost 3000 ft of vertical on our mountain. as you can imagine the gym gets busier when ski season aproaches with the racers training legs. Never do I see them wandering around the gym asking people what they should be doing to make them better at there sport. Just sayin
    O35 5'8" Crew

Originally Posted by Old_Swole View Post
    I still cant tell if this guy is for real...I'll tell ya this though, I live in a ski town almost 3000 ft of vertical on our mountain. as you can imagine the gym gets busier when ski season aproaches with the racers training legs. Never do I see them wandering around the gym asking people what they should be doing to make them better at there sport. Just sayin
    The main reason I posted this was to see if there are other people successfully using a solid program (like 5x5, or even starting strength) while still doing other intensive things outside of the gym.

The solid programs all rely on recovery, and I didn't last but a few weeks on them while also doing the other sports on the days I'm supposed to be recovering. There has to be some type of middle ground program, and just wanted input from others.

I do appreciate you taking time to post.

chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The fact that he has made 179 posts, is not under 25 years of age, has been a member since October 05 and has taken the time to update his stats regularly, all should tell you he is 'for real' and not just trolling. Just saying.

My personal view on what you are after sounds to me like you are after the 'beach body' with functional strength. In that respect, and may god have mercy on me for suggesting this, but a P90x program may suit you better. P90x will give you more 'functional' strength than lifting and is far more 'rounded', and by that I mean that it incorporates flexibility and mobility. Not suggesting you do the nutrition side of it (you've been here a while now and should be well ahead of the game in terms of meal planning etc), but maybe just try some of the workouts and see what you think.
    Last edited by chunkysnowman; 10-01-2011 at 03:20 AM.

Originally Posted by chunkysnowman View Post
    The fact that he has made 179 posts, is not under 25 years of age, has been a member since October 05 and has taken the time to update his stats regularly, all should tell you he is 'for real' and not just trolling. Just saying.

My personal view on what you are after sounds to me like you are after the 'beach body' with functional strength. In that respect, and may god have mercy on me for suggesting this, but a P90x program may suit you better. P90x will give you more 'functional' strength than lifting and is far more 'rounded', and by that I mean that it incorporates flexibility and mobility. Not suggesting you do the nutrition side of it (you've been here a while now and should be well ahead of the game in terms of meal planning etc), but maybe just try some of the workouts and see what you think.
    So new guy how does it work around here again?
    O35 5'8" Crew

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The main reason I posted this was to see if there are other people successfully using a solid programwhile still doing other intensive things outside of the gym.
    Of course, see below...

I live in a ski town almost 3000 ft of vertical on our mountain.
    I live 10 minutes from Snowbird, 12 minutes from Alta, 30 minutes from Solitude, 35 minutes from Brighton, 45 minutes from The Canyons,... I ski over 75 days a year.

I'm also a pretty decent roller skater. I go once a week because it helps my hips recover from strongman training.

The solid programs all rely on recovery, and I didn't last but a few weeks on them while also doing the other sports on the days I'm supposed to be recovering. There has to be some type of middle ground program, and just wanted input from others.
    There is such a thing as active recovery. Skating helps me recover from strongman and skiing does to some extent too.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

I'm about 20 minutes from the village on Schweitzer Mountain.
    O35 5'8" Crew

MontyMagpie is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MontyMagpie is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MontyMagpie is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MontyMagpie is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MontyMagpie is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MontyMagpie is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MontyMagpie is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MontyMagpie is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MontyMagpie is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MontyMagpie is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MontyMagpie is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I used to cycle 26miles a day for 5 days. Total 130miles a week and do 3x training a week. I consumed 9000cals. You will have to up the calories to do all that sport for hours and training. Don't expect to build much additional muscle under such workloads, although you will get stronger.
    The mind is the only limit. As long as the mind can envision something, you can do it.

Hey Ox great vids, great music.....I wanna go skiing!!! damn those Utah mountains and snow make my mountain look like crap. We dont get close to the amount of powder you get or bluebird days to enjoy it in. yes JEALOUS
    O35 5'8" Crew

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hey Ox great vids, great music.....
    Thanks.

I wanna go skiing!!! damn those Utah mountains and snow make my mountain look like crap. We dont get close to the amount of powder you get or bluebird days to enjoy it in. yes JEALOUS
    I've skied Schweitzer, and sliver mountain ( even before the gondola when you had to drive up that crappy road ), mount spokane,...

Last season Snowbird got about 800" of snow. One of my skiing buddies still hikes up and skis on last years snow.

uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by bigtallox View Post
    O

I'm also a pretty decent roller skater. I go once a week because it helps my hips recover from strongman training.

WTF? did I just see you do a pirouette on rollerskates? 00 incredible, now I am not gonna say anything about a tutu. I read you also have a black belt in taekwondo - how about a video of jumping spinning roundhouse kick? that i would like to see
    lol

Originally Posted by uhjin View Post
    WTF? did I just see you do a pirouette on rollerskates? 00 incredible,
    It's called an inner back upright spin.

now I am not gonna say anything about a tutu.
    But you just did. I like to roller skate, not wear women's clothes. ( actually I'm technically a national champion roller skater. "technically" because at that point the sport had declined so much it was basically meaningless. )

I read you also have a black belt in taekwondo - how about a video of jumping spinning roundhouse kick? that i would like to see
    lol
    Yes, I earned my 3rd degree black belt in taekwondo in Feb 2008.

Originally Posted by MontyMagpie View Post
    I used to cycle 26miles a day for 5 days. Total 130miles a week and do 3x training a week. I consumed 9000cals. You will have to up the calories to do all that sport for hours and training. Don't expect to build much additional muscle under such workloads, although you will get stronger.
    I might just bump up the calories then and see what happens. Thanks for posting.