kalisto2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Novice weightlifter looking for the right workout routine.

Hello all,

After many years of sitting on the couch It's time for me to get my fat a** back in shape. However I have a slight dilema. Whenever I go online to look for a good workout routine I'm finding myself getting dizzy from all of the contradictory information. So I wanted to provide a little feedback on myself so one of you more expereinced lifters can point me in the right direction.

My goals are pretty simple. I just want to lose my gut, tone out my body, and of-course build some strength. I'm not looking to get HUGE or anything like that. I've gone to the gym in the past but I've never done it consistently over a long period of time. My longest duration is about 6 months. So I have a decent core, I'm just looking to build on that and remain injury free.

I was hoping someone could suggest a workout routine for me to optimize my time in the gym. So what would be the best routine for a casual weightlifter who's looking to fufill the goals I've listed above? Thank you in advance. Whatever the suggestion I'm going to dedicate myself to it in hopes I change my life and re-gain my health(recently diagonosed with type-2 diabetes)

Thanks again for taking the time to read this

pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    In would start with a simple plan to get things under control and moving in the right direction. Here is the approach I would take.

1. Stop eating junk right now.
    2. Stop drinking alcohol and soda.
    3. Begin a strength training program. I would structure it like this to begin:
    a. Monday - Chest and arms
    b. Tuesday - Back
    c. Thursday - Legs and shoulders
    d. Friday - Chest and Back
    4. Get 20 minutes of cardio in 4 times a week.

Since you have worked out before, I am going to assume exercises for each of the body parts mentioned. I would start cardio with walking on the treadmill.

If you follow that plan, you will see results. Once you start seeing results, you can research programs and eating plans further.

Good luck,
    Ray
    Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven... so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6: 1-4

tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    A solid looking routine, but if you are trying to lose the gut, I would up the cardio...
    Originally Posted by pastorgbc View Post
    In would start with a simple plan to get things under control and moving in the right direction. Here is the approach I would take.

1. Stop eating junk right now.
    2. Stop drinking alcohol and soda.
    3. Begin a strength training program. I would structure it like this to begin:
    a. Monday - Chest and arms
    b. Tuesday - Back
    c. Thursday - Legs and shoulders
    d. Friday - Chest and Back
    4. Get 20 minutes of cardio in 4 times a week.

Since you have worked out before, I am going to assume exercises for each of the body parts mentioned. I would start cardio with walking on the treadmill.

If you follow that plan, you will see results. Once you start seeing results, you can research programs and eating plans further.

Good luck,
    Ray

chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You are a beginner so I will offer the following advice to you.
    1. Start with your diet. Work out how many calories you need per day and take off 15%.
    2. Do a WHOLE BODY routine 3 times a week such as this www.stronglifts.com. Whole body routines burn the most calories because the lifts involve more muscles than a split routine. The routine I have suggested will also help you to progressively improve your strength.
    3. Walk. 30+ min brisk walk every evening.
    4. Hang around here and read the articles, gather the information and come to your own conclusion, because you have to do what is right for you.

emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000)

socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Good solid advice above. The All pro workout is easy to follow. But your nutrition intake will be just as important as any workout routine you choose.

The main thing is staying with it, do not expect results over night. Stay the course and profit

Registered User HairyScandinavian's Avatar
    HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by chunkysnowman View Post
    You are a beginner so I will offer the following advice to you.
    1. Start with your diet. Work out how many calories you need per day and take off 15%.
    2. Do a WHOLE BODY routine 3 times a week such as this www.stronglifts.com. Whole body routines burn the most calories because the lifts involve more muscles than a split routine. The routine I have suggested will also help you to progressively improve your strength.
    3. Walk. 30+ min brisk walk every evening.
    4. Hang around here and read the articles, gather the information and come to your own conclusion, because you have to do what is right for you.
    StrongLifts or Starting Strength would be good places to start.

Audaces fortuna iuvat BillReilly's Avatar
    BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by socket View Post
    But your nutrition intake will be just as important as any workout routine you choose.

The main thing is staying with it, do not expect results over night. Stay the course and profit
    That's the key, in my opinion. The biggest challenge to anyone looking to get fit is sticking with it after the first few weeks. My view is the way to avoid this is to start slow. Pick a few things to change now. Then add to it as you gain confidence.

OP, I'd start with a 30 minute walk each night and diet tracking for a couple of weeks. Once you have a handle on your caloric intake, you can sit down and craft a diet you can live with that will result in weight loss. My bet is you not only eat too much, you eat too much of the wrong things. That means your first diet may just cut out a few things that are the worst, like salty snacks, burgers, pizza, ice cream, etc. You will be amazed how small changes can have a big impact.

Remember, it is not a diet or throwing some iron around for a few weeks. If you want to lose the gut, you are making a lifestyle change. Be honest with yourself and incrementally work toward your goal.