|progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Protein Powder that doesn't contain Soy

Need some help, trying to find a protein powder that doesn't contain Soy. I have the unfortunate problem of chronic Gout. I take medication for it daily and have done so for the past 4 years. During this time frame, while training & dieting, I have had something in my diet that is triggering Gout attacks 2-4 weeks into my training even with increased water consumption and my medicine. After changing things around trying to figure out what the trigger was, I stopped drinking my protein shakes (2 per day), and the Gout attacks stopped as well. After further research, I discovered that Soy can be very bad for someone with my condition and can actually trigger my attacks. Gout is really about balancing the acidity in your body, and Soy is a moderate to high acidic food. Whey, however, is not, it is a neutral food. Since I was only drinking my protein (ON) while training to hit my protein macros (when I had an attack I immediately stopped consuming them) I think I have isolated the source.

While I would prefer to stay on whole food as it's what is finally working, fact is I travel daily for work (sales in the oilfield) and it's not always easy to stop and eat a whole food meal. The ability to use a protein shake for a couple of my meals per day would make things a lot more convenient. I would like to try an add a protein supplement back into my diet, and I am trying to find a protein powder that does not contain Soy to see if it works.

Does anyone know of any or have any recommendations that don't contain Soy? Preferably a Whey, but I am open to all sources.
    "Just Get It Off"
    Fightin' Texas Aggie
    MFC
    RIP YGST

Good-Bro Original DiabeticLifter's Avatar
    DiabeticLifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DiabeticLifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DiabeticLifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DiabeticLifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DiabeticLifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DiabeticLifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DiabeticLifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DiabeticLifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DiabeticLifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DiabeticLifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DiabeticLifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by |progress| View Post
    Need some help, trying to find a protein powder that doesn't contain Soy. I have the unfortunate problem of chronic Gout. I take medication for it daily and have done so for the past 4 years. During this time frame, while training & dieting, I have had something in my diet that is triggering Gout attacks 2-4 weeks into my training even with increased water consumption and my medicine. After changing things around trying to figure out what the trigger was, I stopped drinking my protein shakes (2 per day), and the Gout attacks stopped as well. After further research, I discovered that Soy can be very bad for someone with my condition and can actually trigger my attacks. Gout is really about balancing the acidity in your body, and Soy is a moderate to high acidic food. Whey, however, is not, it is a neutral food. Since I was only drinking my protein (ON) while training to hit my protein macros (when I had an attack I immediately stopped consuming them) I think I have isolated the source.

While I would prefer to stay on whole food as it's what is finally working, fact is I travel daily for work (sales in the oilfield) and it's not always easy to stop and eat a whole food meal. The ability to use a protein shake for a couple of my meals per day would make things a lot more convenient. I would like to try an add a protein supplement back into my diet, and I am trying to find a protein powder that does not contain Soy to see if it works.

Does anyone know of any or have any recommendations that don't contain Soy? Preferably a Whey, but I am open to all sources.
    i mean there is jack **** else in it but you can try nutribiotic rice protein

or try designer whey protein.
    You ain't nothing but a piece a cheese without the corners. In other words, you ain't never gonna be a slice, bitch

dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Craploads of whey proteins out there. I am partial to Xtreme Formulations UP Whey.
    "Blood, Sweat, and Tears doesn't mean crying while you struggle to put your tampon in." ~dsade

ThermoGum...Just Chew It!

---ACCELERATED gains * increased MASS = unstoppable FORCE--- Know your physics for maximum performance.
    "Don't you know there ain't no Devil, there's just God when he's drunk" -Tom Waits

"The only question is...which is to be Master? That is all." - Lewis Carroll

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand

|progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    Craploads of whey proteins out there. I am partial to Xtreme Formulations UP Whey.
    Yes, but you may not realize it, they contain Soy. If you look on the labels, you see a warning that says "Contains Milk & Soy ingredients." Trying to find one that doesn't have that...I think I'm pretty much screwed.
    "Just Get It Off"
    Fightin' Texas Aggie
    MFC
    RIP YGST

dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yes, but you may not realize it, they contain Soy. If you look on the labels, you see a warning that says "Contains Milk & Soy ingredients." Trying to find one that doesn't have that...I think I'm pretty much screwed.
    I do realize, but it's highly unlikely the the low purine content of Lecithin is going to negatively affect you.
    "Blood, Sweat, and Tears doesn't mean crying while you struggle to put your tampon in." ~dsade

---ACCELERATED gains * increased MASS = unstoppable FORCE--- Know your physics for maximum performance.
    "Don't you know there ain't no Devil, there's just God when he's drunk" -Tom Waits

optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Most "whey" proteins do not actually contain Soy. Only the really cheap ones, and you'll see that in the ingredients listing typically as "Soy Isolate". An example of a product with no soy is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey. There are hundreds of other options as well. Just because a product says "contains soy and milk ingredients" does not mean that soy is a significant ingredient. It is often listed as something called "soy lecithin", which is a product thickener, and is often in a miniscule amount, and unless you have a severe soy allergy, you will not even know it is in the product. Certainly, it will not have any acidity or estrogenic effects that you might expect from something like soy concentrate or isolate.
    **Eat lots and lots of birds. The smaller the bird, the more compact its protein content. Parrots are great sources for protein.**

I do realize, but it's highly unlikely the the low purine content of Lecithin is going to negatively affect you.
    Has nothing to do with Purine content. Has everything to do with the pH levels of the body.

Originally Posted by optimus1 View Post
    Most "whey" proteins do not actually contain Soy. Only the really cheap ones, and you'll see that in the ingredients listing typically as "Soy Isolate". An example of a product with no soy is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey. There are hundreds of other options as well. Just because a product says "contains soy and milk ingredients" does not mean that soy is a significant ingredient. It is often listed as something called "soy lecithin", which is a product thickener, and is often in a miniscule amount, and unless you have a severe soy allergy, you will not even know it is in the product. Certainly, it will not have any acidity or estrogenic effects that you might expect from something like soy concentrate or isolate.
    Correct, the ingredient is Soy Lecithin (I took the easy route and just said Soy), and even the smallest amount can trigger allergies and inflammation in someone who has medical issues with Soy. Even though Soy is processed to isolate Lecithin, it still contains a very small amount of Soy Protein and Oil. This is the reason that manufacturers have to put the warning on the label when it is used to alert those with allergies to Soy. Just because the content is 1% of the product doesn't mean it is not going to trigger a reaction. ON Gold Standard does contain Soy Lecithin.

Keep in mind, this isn't something that happens immediately after drinking one protein shake. It happens after 2-4 weeks of digesting them daily, along with the other foods such as Peanut Butter that may contain Lecithin.
    Last edited by |progress|; 09-09-2011 at 11:15 AM.
    "Just Get It Off"
    Fightin' Texas Aggie
    MFC
    RIP YGST

ryanco64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryanco64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryanco64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryanco64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryanco64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryanco64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryanco64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryanco64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryanco64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryanco64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryanco64 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Has nothing to do with Purine content. Has everything to do with the pH levels of the body.

Correct, the ingredient is Soy Lecithin (I took the easy route and just said Soy), and even the smallest amount can trigger allergies and inflammation in someone who has medical issues with Soy. Even though Soy is processed to isolate Lecithin, it still contains a very small amount of Soy Protein and Oil. This is the reason that manufacturers have to put the warning on the label when it is used to alert those with allergies to Soy. Just because the content is 1% of the product doesn't mean it is not going to trigger a reaction. ON Gold Standard does contain Soy Lecithin.

Keep in mind, this isn't something that happens immediately after drinking one protein shake. It happens after 2-4 weeks of digesting them daily, along with the other foods such as Peanut Butter that may contain Lecithin.
    Have you tried Allmax Isoflex Whey Protein? I don't recall but I don't remember seeing any warnings on it.

optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

damn, well good luck finding a decently priced protein shake without soy lecithin lol

I used a protein/meal replacement product from MetaGenics a couple years ago that I believe was very high quality, with no soy lecithin, etc. But it was expensive, like $50 a 2 lb tub:

http://www.metagenics.com/products/a...aClear-SUSTAIN
    **Eat lots and lots of birds. The smaller the bird, the more compact its protein content. Parrots are great sources for protein.**

Yeah, I believe Lecithin has a pH of around 7, which would have zero effect on whole body pH anyway, not to mention the negligible amount used introduced into the highly acidic stomach environment.

Do you have a study showing anything?

Originally Posted by optimus1 View Post
    damn, well good luck finding a decently priced protein shake without soy lecithin lol

I used a protein/meal replacement product from MetaGenics a couple years ago that I believe was very high quality, with no soy lecithin, etc. But it was expensive, like $50 a 2 lb tub:

http://www.metagenics.com/products/a...aClear-SUSTAIN
    Yea, that's the other part I'm afraid of. Expensive as **** and not worth it.
    "Just Get It Off"
    Fightin' Texas Aggie
    MFC
    RIP YGST

Yeah, I believe Lecithin has a pH of around 7, which would have zero effect on whole body pH anyway, not to mention the negligible amount used introduced into the highly acidic stomach environment.

Do you have a study showing anything?
    I have a lot of info at home I can try to share later. I should have explained better than the 1st line of that post - it's the body's pH level, the metabolism of certain foods, the body's ability to excrete Uric Acid, etc. It's complex when it comes to Gout, not just as easy as saying don't eat foods with high purines or high acidity levels.
    "Just Get It Off"
    Fightin' Texas Aggie
    MFC
    RIP YGST

TrainingACU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TrainingACU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TrainingACU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TrainingACU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TrainingACU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TrainingACU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TrainingACU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TrainingACU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TrainingACU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TrainingACU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TrainingACU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Does Intrapro have any soy in it? I didn't see any in the ingredient profile, just that it's processed in a plant that processess soy. kind of expensive, but not nearly as bad as $50 for 2lbs.

Originally Posted by TrainingACU View Post
    Does Intrapro have any soy in it? I didn't see any in the ingredient profile, just that it's processed in a plant that processess soy. kind of expensive, but not nearly as bad as $50 for 2lbs.
    Doesn't appear to. Thanks for finding that.

BTW, most are probably going to have the warning they are produced in a plant that processes soy, as the nutrition company may own the recipe, they will be blended and manufactured by a 3rd party company under a private label agreement. The facilities will process more than one type, and those others will contain other ingredients. Pretty common in the food & nutrition industry.
    "Just Get It Off"
    Fightin' Texas Aggie
    MFC
    RIP YGST

MyOwnEntity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey guys,

I have the same problem as Progress and it is extremely frustrating not being able to down a protein shake. I have done hours of research, even emailed and called companies directly with no luck. The only protein I came across is Embryologic Whey, but cannot find any reviews on the product. I really do not want to be a guinea pig, but its almost to that point = /.

Progress, have you or anyone found a soy-free protein yet?

StacyWright has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Oats & Whey

Looking for a friend of mine and found this. doesn't have the typical warning... so hopeful it will work!

UncleOsiris is on a distinguished road. (+10) UncleOsiris is on a distinguished road. (+10) UncleOsiris is on a distinguished road. (+10) UncleOsiris is on a distinguished road. (+10) UncleOsiris is on a distinguished road. (+10) UncleOsiris is on a distinguished road. (+10) UncleOsiris is on a distinguished road. (+10) UncleOsiris is on a distinguished road. (+10) UncleOsiris is on a distinguished road. (+10) UncleOsiris is on a distinguished road. (+10) UncleOsiris is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Soy in any form or amount produces estrogen.Regardless of the "miniscule amount" it cannot properly be synthesized therefore THE BUILDUP in the system is the concern.Miniscule amounts become measurable and cause negative,estrogenic effects.Remember the FDA doesn't require manufacturers to disclose ingredients OR the amounts within the product.So when you say "miniscule amount" who told you what amount is miniscule or how it affects the human body as a whole or each individual.

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by UncleOsiris View Post
    Soy in any form or amount produces estrogen.Regardless of the "miniscule amount" it cannot properly be synthesized therefore THE BUILDUP in the system is the concern.Miniscule amounts become measurable and cause negative,estrogenic effects.Remember the FDA doesn't require manufacturers to disclose ingredients OR the amounts within the product.So when you say "miniscule amount" who told you what amount is miniscule or how it affects the human body as a whole or each individual.
    lmao no. Just, no.
    Psych & handcuffs
    Current reading: Vonnegut, Theodor Adorno
    House, Techno, and 4Runners

Cybergenics...it's bomb! lucia316's Avatar
    lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by UncleOsiris View Post
    SMH. 8 year old bump with FUD. Sweet stuff.
    "I'm pretty sure your wrong, but care to elaborate..."

Retired account

TheFugitive, Manwittaplan, and ILPump are all the same guy...socktastic