Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Front Squat vs Back Squat, what will benefit me?

What is gonna more benefit me with my sport for hockey, havent tried the front squat, but have been doing the back squat for a bit over 6 months, currently at 205 5x5, was just wondering what will benefit me more? front squat or back squat.. Thank you for help!!

lift4sport will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4sport will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4sport will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4sport will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4sport will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4sport will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4sport will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4sport will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4sport will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4sport will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4sport will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would say phasing in both would not be a bad thing... not sure your set up, but if you did backsquats once a week and front squats on another day, that could benefit you a lot.

I've found that back squats are great for leg development first, and will generate a lot of strength in your lower body while still requiring balance and coordination ini your upper body. With front squats, I push a slightly smaller weight, but find that it recruits more upper body stability, which is definitely a plus in hockey. I have read in functional sport training books that, after adequate training in both, most athletes can front squat 85-90% of their 1rm back squat. I'd say, throw it in your workout!
    Began training: 09/2010
    Height: 5'10 Bodyweight: 183-187

Dec 10 2012: Vertical: 32", Standing Broad Jump: 9'0 (SBJ/Ht: 1.54), Hang Clean: 265

Sep 2012: High Bar Squat 300-1x5, Bench 265, Deadlift 365-1x8 and 405-1x4, Hang Snatch 160-1x5, Clean 225. Pullup: BW + 75lbs

Check out my 5/3/1 Log here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148249703

NewarkBears is not very well liked. (-100) NewarkBears is not very well liked. (-100) NewarkBears is not very well liked. (-100) NewarkBears is not very well liked. (-100) NewarkBears is not very well liked. (-100) NewarkBears is not very well liked. (-100) NewarkBears is not very well liked. (-100) NewarkBears is not very well liked. (-100) NewarkBears is not very well liked. (-100) NewarkBears is not very well liked. (-100) NewarkBears is not very well liked. (-100)
    When I was browsing exrx I saw that hack squats and even dumbbell squats recruit more muscles than a regular back squat. Something to consider.
    IIFYM is super duper smart: "I just had 10 beers and hit my daily carb intake."

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by NewarkBears View Post
    When I was browsing exrx I saw that hack squats and even dumbbell squats recruit more muscles than a regular back squat. Something to consider.
    No, its not something to consider.
    http://youtube.com/user/Kiknskreem

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by konyy View Post
    What is gonna more benefit me with my sport for hockey, havent tried the front squat, but have been doing the back squat for a bit over 6 months, currently at 205 5x5, was just wondering what will benefit me more? front squat or back squat.. Thank you for help!!
    The front squat emphasizes the quads a bit more. I am willing to bet as a hockey player your quad strength is just fine compared to the rest of your legs. I would stick with back squats and make certain you are going just below parallel. You should feel it in your hamstrings.

notopoulos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Back squats recruit posterior chain which is strained a lot during hockey. So if you play a lot there's a risk of excess stress, so it might be preferable to alternate between front and back periodically.

konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thats for the input boys, I was thinking about doing something like back squatting for 2 weeks, 2 days a week if possible, then change to the front squat then next 2 weeks...Is that okay?

ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you want to recruit more of your quads then front squat, otherwise keep back squatting.
    In my experience:

Back squat goes up -> Front squat goes up
    Front Squat goes up -> Back squat can still be stalled

NewarkBears is not very well liked. (-100) NewarkBears is not very well liked. (-100) NewarkBears is not very well liked. (-100) NewarkBears is not very well liked. (-100) NewarkBears is not very well liked. (-100) NewarkBears is not very well liked. (-100) NewarkBears is not very well liked. (-100) NewarkBears is not very well liked. (-100) NewarkBears is not very well liked. (-100) NewarkBears is not very well liked. (-100) NewarkBears is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Kiknskreem View Post
    No, its not something to consider.
    And why not?

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    And why not?
    Machines are inferior to free weights for athletic training for various reasons, such as locking you into a predetermined plane of motion and not involving the use of stabilizers.

DB squats severely restrict the load you are able to squat.

Neither would be a better choice than front squats or back squats, nor will either recruit more muscle than BB squats, of either the front or back variety.

Machines are inferior to free weights for athletic training for various reasons, such as locking you into a predetermined plane of motion and not involving the use of stabilizers.
    Oh you never heard of a BB hack squat? lol

DB squats severely restrict the load you are able to squat.
    Your gym doesn't have 200lb dumbbells? Where do you lift, Planet Fitness? Or god forbid, Curves?
    Neither would be a better choice than front squats or back squats, nor will either recruit more muscle than BB squats, of either the front or back variety.
    That's just wrong. I'll appeal to authority and trust exrx over you.

Both recruit more stabilizing muscles than the back squat.

daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Your gym doesn't have 200lb dumbbells? Where do you lift, Planet Fitness? Or god forbid, Curves?

No.

Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Probably cycle them. If you're on a premade program (starting strength or a 5x5) just do your back squats. If you're making up your own stuff, spend a couple weeks (I prefer about 4) on back squats, then switch to front squats. I find back squats awesome for maximal force generation, because you can use such a heavier load with backsquats than fronts. But front squats are awesome in their own way, because they seem to (at least for me) totally fry the upper back and core.

It's tough to say if one is better than the other, because they need to be cycled in their own way that's right for you. For me, for example, I'll probably use up the rest of the year focusing on back squats with starting strength. Come January or Feb, I'll probably end up switching to Texas Method where I'll be back squatting, but still front squatting 1-2 times a week.

Point being, figure out which of the two seems to give greater results for you and run with it.

Op squats 5x5x205.

Not only are DB squats and hack squats not the right exercises for him to be doing now, you also have your facts confused.

EXRX contains many blatant errors, which you would know if you had a better knowledge base.

Shnappley, Im currently doing my own type of thing for legs days but I am adding in the 5x5 method on my leg days. Doing back squats 5x5..Along with other stuff

Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

No, just no.

1. My gym has dummbells up to about 130lbs, 200lbs would be ridiculous unless you're a pro bodybuilder
    2. EXRX has more than enough errors in it and I only use it because the GIFs are helpful
    3. EXRX is not an authority (I made the same mistake when I first saw it)
    4. Hack squats require no stability and it's obvious just from the way the exercise is performed, dumbbells squats are nothing more than deadlifts
    5. Have a nice day
    COMPETITION BESTS:
    4kg shot - 13.70m
    5kg shot (U17) - 12.55m
    6kg shot (JUN) - 11.39m
    1.5kg discus (U17) - 32.60m
    1.75kg discus (JUN) - 29.70m
    5kg hammer (U17) - 30.49m (one turn)
    6kg hammer (JUN) - 27.03m (one turn)
    800g javelin (U17) - 20.05m

AGE - 15

Want a 16m 6kg throw by next year.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    lot easier to put a heavy load on your traps than hang it from your arms.

Originally Posted by dave**** View Post
    No.
    Yes.
    Originally Posted by Willhu12 View Post
    No, just no.

1. My gym has dummbells up to about 130lbs, 200lbs would be ridiculous unless you're a pro bodybuilder
    2. EXRX has more than enough errors in it and I only use it because the GIFs are helpful
    3. EXRX is not an authority (I made the same mistake when I first saw it)
    4. Hack squats require no stability and it's obvious just from the way the exercise is performed, dumbbells squats are nothing more than deadlifts
    5. Have a nice day
    They have Curves in the UK? I hope you take full advantage of your membership and hit the post-partum depression group after you do 20 sets of abs and your fasted steady-state cardio.

And really, nothing more than deadlifts? How stupid can you be?

totgeburt will become famous soon enough. (+50) totgeburt will become famous soon enough. (+50) totgeburt will become famous soon enough. (+50) totgeburt will become famous soon enough. (+50) totgeburt will become famous soon enough. (+50) totgeburt will become famous soon enough. (+50) totgeburt will become famous soon enough. (+50) totgeburt will become famous soon enough. (+50) totgeburt will become famous soon enough. (+50) totgeburt will become famous soon enough. (+50) totgeburt will become famous soon enough. (+50)

you're an idiot. stop regurgitating random **** you read on the internet that's false
    OP, can't hurt to alternate. why not get best of both worlds? i'd do more backsquats than frontsquats though. maybe one front squat session for every 2 backsquat sessions. you could easily squat 3x a week. mon- backsquat, wed-frontsquat, fri-backsquat

Originally Posted by totgeburt View Post
    you're an idiot. stop regurgitating random **** you read on the internet that's false
    OP, can't hurt to alternate. why not get best of both worlds? i'd do more backsquats than frontsquats though. maybe one front squat session for every 2 backsquat sessions. you could easily squat 3x a week. mon- backsquat, wed-frontsquat, fri-backsquat
    Ah yeah...there's a huge conspiracy out there...they're saying DB squats recruit the traps. It's a huge lie, OMG!

Oh and squatting 3x/week is borderline mental.

And really, nothing more than deadlifts? How stupid can you be?
    A DB squat is essentially a trap bar deadlift, but you're trading off a huge amount of load for a little extra RoM.

Have you noticed the overwhelming consensus that your suggestion to the OP was retarded?

A DB squat is essentially a trap bar deadlift, but you're trading off a huge amount of load for a little extra RoM.
    Can't be more wrong.
    Have you noticed the overwhelming consensus that your suggestion to the OP was retarded?
    Boo hoo?

Can't be more wrong.
    Both lifts begin in a relatively neutral stance with the load hanging from the arms with palms facing in. To complete each lift, the lifter will extend their knees and their hips until they are upright. Forces are generated by the legs and hips and are transmitted through the rigid trunk to lift the load.

Please explain your assertion that the lifts are not essentially the same, with the primary difference being RoM and load.

I look forward to your analysis, as the more you post the more clear your ignorance becomes to those who might not be so well informed.

Boo hoo?
    I think a more appropriate reaction would be some quiet reflection on what you think you know, what you really know, and what others know.

Rugger w/ a throwing prob xxtwistedxx's Avatar
    xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    squatting 3+ times a week is far from mental. its crazy but its been done and has been proven effective.

DB squats = hex/ diamond bar DLs

In my travels I have YET to see one facility that made the effort and justified purchasing dumbbells that cost over $300 a piece (not including shipping of something as such) when a decent bar and plates will do the trick.
    ACE-PT, NSCA, USATF-1
    danprater.blogspot.com - blog for everything related to throws, rugby, training, etc. and stuff that isnt.

Youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ubertoss2000

Throwers
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=122693921

RATTLER2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RATTLER2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RATTLER2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RATTLER2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RATTLER2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RATTLER2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RATTLER2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RATTLER2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RATTLER2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RATTLER2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RATTLER2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    back. more posterior chain

yeezy45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yeezy45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yeezy45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yeezy45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yeezy45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yeezy45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yeezy45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yeezy45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yeezy45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yeezy45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yeezy45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do 3 back and 2 front on leg days

Both lifts begin in a relatively neutral stance with the load hanging from the arms with palms facing in. To complete each lift, the lifter will extend their knees and their hips until they are upright. Forces are generated by the legs and hips and are transmitted through the rigid trunk to lift the load.

Please explain your assertion that the lifts are not essentially the same, with the primary difference being RoM and load.

I look forward to your analysis, as the more you post the more clear your ignorance becomes to those who might not be so well informed.

I think a more appropriate reaction would be some quiet reflection on what you think you know, what you really know, and what others know.
    One is a push. One is a pull. One works mainly quads, the other works mainly hams. How stupid can you be, honestly?

Originally Posted by xxtwistedxx View Post
    squatting 3+ times a week is far from mental. its crazy but its been done and has been proven effective.

DB squats = hex/ diamond bar DLs

In my travels I have YET to see one facility that made the effort and justified purchasing dumbbells that cost over $300 a piece (not including shipping of something as such) when a decent bar and plates will do the trick.
    So since you've never seen them, they don't exist. Gotcha.

One is a push. One is a pull. One works mainly quads, the other works mainly hams. How stupid can you be, honestly?
    Muscles create motion by doing one thing, contracting, ie pulling. Push and Pull are not valid biomechanical concepts, just terms that laypeople use.

DB squats and Trap bar deads = knee and hip extension with an upright back and load held in the hands. The differences, as I already explained, are the load and RoM. The lifts are essentially the same, as previously explained.

Right now, without any weight, mime a DB squat. Now mime a trap bar dead. If this conclusion still escapes you, you're beyond help.

As for trap bar deads working "mainly hams," the entire point of the trap bar is forcing the back into a more vertical position, thus shifting load from the posterior chain to the quads.

You are an idiot and I rest my case.
    Last edited by Kiknskreem; 09-06-2011 at 01:06 AM.

Rugger w/ a throwing prob xxtwistedxx's Avatar
    xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    So since you've never seen them, they don't exist. Gotcha.
    and since you assumed I havnt seen them and ignored when I said gyms cant justify such an expense i.e. over $300 for ONE dumbbell that a fraction of the population could use effectively... my case is also rested.
    ACE-PT, NSCA, USATF-1
    danprater.blogspot.com - blog for everything related to throws, rugby, training, etc. and stuff that isnt.

Youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ubertoss2000

Throwers
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=122693921