Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    Thanks for renaming this thread. I am very glad you did this as I was regretting the name that I had chosen for this thread as I was scrolling through it last night.

I should add a foam roller post here too.

It could be a sticky, but then so could a lot of other threads including The Barbell Thread and The Dumbbell Thread, which you started. A better approach might be to have a single sticky (a meta-sticky!) which contains links to worthwhile threads in either the first post or some other early post in the thread. It would probably require some editing from time to time by a moderator to move new / worthwhile links into the first post. The current belt sticky could be linked there (and then made unsticky). We get a lot of bench and shoe questions too; if we had some really good threads which dealt with those topics, they could be linked as well.

We could throw links to this and the other thread in the FAQ thread, therefore saving stickies.

That said - I heard a new one recently and wanted to throw it past you KB - I heard of people using car buffers as massagers - ever do that?
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

“You want science and studies? **** you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit.”
    -Wendler

KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Cleveland33 View Post
    That said - I heard a new one recently and wanted to throw it past you KB - I heard of people using car buffers as massagers - ever do that?
    I wasn't sure you were serious, so I took a look on youtube and found this:

(There are a few other videos too.)

Anyway... no, this isn't something that I've tried (yet).
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I wasn't sure you were serious, so I took a look on youtube and found this:

(There are a few other videos too.)

Anyway... no, this isn't something that I've tried (yet).
    I said I heard of it, not that I was doing it.
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

“You want science and studies? **** you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit.”
    -Wendler

KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

The Orb

In an earlier post, I mentioned the Orb, from Pro-Tec Athletics. At the time, I didn't have much to say about it because I hadn't spent much time using it. Since then, I've come to use with increasing frequency to work on several problem areas. Here is the photo that I had posted earlier:

From left to right are a golf ball, a Due North Foot Rubz ball, a LaCrosse ball, the RumbleRoller Beastie, and finally, the Pro-Tec Orb. (The link that I had provided for the LaCrosse ball in my earlier post still works, but I no longer recommend that particular ball due to a six-fold price increase.)

My initial assessment of the Orb was that it was too big (with too much surface area) to provide much penetration into muscle tissue. My tool of choice for many issues was the LaCrosse ball and Beastie. I find both of these balls to be really useful for working into the lower back, glutes, and hamstrings. When working on the hamstrings, it helps to sit on a bench or box so that the hamstring is in a relaxed state. You then place the LaCrosse ball or Beastie beneath the hamstring at various problem locations and make small movements to break up knots or adhesions.

For other areas, I've found that these smaller balls lack enough height for me to use them effectively. One option is to place the (smaller) ball on some sort of height raising base. The Beastie comes with a base which could be used for this purpose, but I've found that it tends to tip over when I make small movements for massaging the area in question. The Beastie's base does have some holes which allows it to be screwed into something more solid, but I haven't done this yet. As I'm writing this, it occurs to me that a thick phone book might be used to raise either a LaCrosse ball or a Beastie high enough to be more useful; perhaps I will try that sometime.

The other option is to use a larger ball, such as the Orb. I've been using the Orb for working on inner thigh, groin, and the lats (especially near the armpit area). In each of these areas, I lack the flexibility to maneuver my body in such a way to provide much pressure when using the smaller balls. The Orb is big enough to allow me to work into those areas, but also (due to being ball shaped) allows me to work in more intensely than a foam roller could. I've found that the bigger ball is still effective, especially when you're able to apply a sufficient amount of body weight over the ball.

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Checking to see if you ever gave the Supernova a try.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #39 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #2 ▪█─────█▪

▪[[[[────]]]]▪ York Barbell Club #93 (DD) ▪[[[[────]]]]▪

▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #10 ▪[M]====[6]▪

186lbs in Avatar

Originally Posted by dumb.bell View Post
    Checking to see if you ever gave the Supernova a try.
    Not yet, but I will soon, as I've just placed an order.

As I understand it, the Supernova is about 4.6 inches in diameter, making it bigger than a Beastie, but smaller than the Orb. I think this could be a useful size for some areas. I'll post photos and my thoughts about it once I've tried it.

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not yet, but I will soon, as I've just placed an order.

As I understand it, the Supernova is about 4.6 inches in diameter, making it bigger than a Beastie, but smaller than the Orb. I think this could be a useful size for some areas. I'll post photos and my thoughts about it once I've tried it.
    I'm making a purchase today and leaning towards the Beastie based on your review and my experience with the my two short rumble rollers. This will be my first ball roller.

186lbs in Avatar

Would you get both or just the extra firm?

186lbs in Avatar

I'm making a purchase today and leaning towards the Beastie based on your review and my experience with the my two short rumble rollers. This will be my first ball roller.
    Get a LaCrosse ball too. They're cheap and and are about the same size as the Beastie. I still like and use the Beastie, but I find that the smoothness of the LaCrosse ball allows me to easily make small back and forth motions when working on my hamstrings. The Beasties don't roll as well as LaCrosse balls when placed on a hard surface.

Would you get both or just the extra firm?
    Just extra firm. I own but never use the softer one (Beastie).

Get one with a platform too. The platform is useful when you need additional height.
    Last edited by KBKB; 03-31-2015 at 07:39 AM.

throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm making a purchase today and leaning towards the Beastie based on your review and my experience with the my two short rumble rollers.
    I've got both. I posted a little about the new Supernova here:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=166712791

They're not really interchangeable. The 80mm Supernova would be more comparable. Are you looking to target something in particular?

Originally Posted by throwaway3441 View Post
    I've got both. I posted a little about the new Supernova here:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=166712791

They're not really interchangeable. The 80mm Supernova would be more comparable. Are you looking to target something in particular?
    Piriformis

186lbs in Avatar

Piriformis
    I think that a LaCrosse ball or a Beastie should work well for the piriformis.

I think that a LaCrosse ball or a Beastie should work well for the piriformis.
    They have already been ordered.

186lbs in Avatar

throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I don't think the Beastie would be my choice for the piriformis. I think it's a little too intense to use the way you would a foam roller (I had to shift quite a bit of my weight to my arms. I can put all of my weight on a regular RumbleRoller.) and I find the piriformis press a little clumsy. That could just be my inexperience with it though.

In this case I think the only difference between a lax ball and Supernova is the size. The pattern on the Supernova doesn't really make much of a difference through clothes. The lax ball is a little more intense. The Supernova rolls a little more freely.

Edit: I got here a little late. I'll be curious to see what you think of it.

I'll report back after I have used it a little (arrives tomorrow).

I've been using the small rumble roller and a tennis ball, as well as a Precor Stretchtrainer and 45 degree hyper.

I need to go to the doctor and get the issue diagnosed. My current diagnosis came from a couple of guys at the gym (trainer and message therapist). However, I'm beginning to think it is disk related rather than piriformis, based on a couple of the test I've seen on Youtube.

186lbs in Avatar

Here's a photo of the MobilityWod SuperNova:

This photo shows the size differences between Pro-Tec's "The Orb", the MobilityWod Supernova, and the RumbleRoller Beastie:

The SuperNova is only slightly smaller than the Orb, but is quite a lot heavier. Its textured surface does slip less often than the Orb when in use. It's slightly smaller size also allows for slightly easier penetration into muscle tissue.

I've been using them both. At the moment, I slightly prefer the SuperNova due to the fact that it doesn't slip as much. However, there's a quite a difference in price. At the moment, the Orb can be purchased for less than $20 while MobilityWOD Supernova costs just slightly under $40. (It's not clear to me whether or not the version pictured above is still available. The 2.0 version has somewhat different nubs.)

KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000)
    The Beastie is awesome...when I have it on the platform base, it is the only thing sort of a real massage therapist that gets deep into my scapula where I am chronically tight

Originally Posted by KoolDJVader View Post
    The Beastie is awesome...when I have it on the platform base, it is the only thing sort of a real massage therapist that gets deep into my scapula where I am chronically tight
    I still need to mount the Beastie's platform base to a small piece of plywood or something. Whenever I use the Beastie in the base, it always tips over when I attempt side to side motions.

They also have a wall system that I've considered from time to time.

KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000)
    I still need to mount the Beastie's platform base to a small piece of plywood or something. Whenever I use the Beastie in the base, it always tips over when I attempt side to side motions.

They also have a wall system that I've considered from time to time.
    I can only use the Beastie stationary...just let the spikes dig in and sit there for a few. If I just use the ball, it doesn't roll well due to the spikes and the diameter is a bit too small to get in deep for some areas. And with the platform base, like you said, it tilts. I may look into the accessories for it as well