I'm no longer canon : ( Yuuzhanvong's Avatar
    Yuuzhanvong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yuuzhanvong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yuuzhanvong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yuuzhanvong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yuuzhanvong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yuuzhanvong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yuuzhanvong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yuuzhanvong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yuuzhanvong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yuuzhanvong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yuuzhanvong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Exclamation Fat or Muscle as secondary fuel source in starvation mode? ( Important )

My biology teacher has claimed that in starvation mode, once glucose is completely depleted, the body will start burning fat. Only after that will it use muscle. Naturally, since I've been reading all these years that the body likes to hold on to fat, and will actually burn muscle first, I told him after class that I thought otherwise. He asked me to bring articles proving my claims, and he would discuss it with me after class. Are there any studies or book references I can find? I searched online but notasinglescientificsourcewasfound.

njman is on a distinguished road. (+10) njman is on a distinguished road. (+10) njman is on a distinguished road. (+10) njman is on a distinguished road. (+10) njman is on a distinguished road. (+10) njman is on a distinguished road. (+10) njman is on a distinguished road. (+10) njman is on a distinguished road. (+10) njman is on a distinguished road. (+10) njman is on a distinguished road. (+10) njman is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Where did you read that the body holds onto fat?

not a study, but good read
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22414/

"The first priority of metabolism in starvation is to provide sufficient glucose to the brain and other tissues (such as red blood cells) that are absolutely dependent on this fuel. However, precursors of glucose are not abundant. Most energy is stored in the fatty acyl moieties of triacylglycerols. Recall that fatty acids cannot be converted into glucose, because acetyl CoA cannot be transformed into pyruvate (Section 22.3.7). The glycerol moiety of triacylglycerol can be converted into glucose, but only a limited amount is available. The only other potential source of glucose is amino acids derived from the breakdown of proteins. However, proteins are not stored, and so any breakdown will necessitate a loss of function. Thus, the second priority of metabolism in starvation is to preserve protein, which is accomplished by shifting the fuel being used from glucose to fatty acids and ketone bodies"

I'm no longer canon : ( Yuuzhanvong's Avatar
    Yuuzhanvong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yuuzhanvong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yuuzhanvong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yuuzhanvong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yuuzhanvong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yuuzhanvong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yuuzhanvong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yuuzhanvong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yuuzhanvong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yuuzhanvong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yuuzhanvong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by njman View Post
    Where did you read that the body holds onto fat?
    "
    It's common knowledge here. Read any bodybuilding book, or bb.com articles. Isn't it why they tell us to eat every three hours (I know this is unnecessary)? To keep the metabolism high, or else your body will enter starvation mode, blablabla hold on to fat and make you lose muscle. I've seen this a trillion times.

Also, thank you for taking the time and replying.

JungleCat is just really nice. (+1000) JungleCat is just really nice. (+1000) JungleCat is just really nice. (+1000) JungleCat is just really nice. (+1000) JungleCat is just really nice. (+1000) JungleCat is just really nice. (+1000) JungleCat is just really nice. (+1000) JungleCat is just really nice. (+1000) JungleCat is just really nice. (+1000) JungleCat is just really nice. (+1000) JungleCat is just really nice. (+1000)
    it's a ratio, not straight protein or straight fat.
    John Lee: www.facebook.com/johnleepage

Follow me on Twitter: @JohnLeeAries

Live life with purpose and pleasure will follow.

Glutes... they are back Cumulonimbus's Avatar
    Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Yuuzhanvong View Post
    It's common knowledge here. Read any bodybuilding book, or bb.com articles. Isn't it why they tell us to eat every three hours (I know this is unnecessary)? To keep the metabolism high, or else your body will enter starvation mode, blablabla hold on to fat and make you lose muscle. I've seen this a trillion times.

Also, thank you for taking the time and replying.
    fail

Originally Posted by JungleCat View Post
    it's a ratio, not straight protein or straight fat.
    This. Think RQ
    Just a weight lifter

sepul^ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sepul^ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sepul^ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sepul^ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sepul^ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sepul^ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sepul^ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sepul^ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sepul^ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sepul^ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sepul^ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What's been said so far is almost there but is lacking. In short: Your biology teacher's statement is not correct. Once the body's glucose levels begin to drop and it has already exhausted all short term glucose storage (liver and muscle glycogen) it will begin to break down glucogenic amino acids in order to maintain adequate glucose levels (which is the highest priority in this situation). But once glucose levels are sufficient, the body will tend to use fat*. Incidentally the metabolic pathways that burn fat require carbohydrate intermediates (chemicals broken down from carbohydrates), so I assume that these intermediates are also in glucogenic amino acids. If I have the time I'll try and find a hard source for you.

*A determining factor may be activity levels.

RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by sepul^ View Post
    What's been said so far is almost there but is lacking. In short: Your biology teacher's statement is not correct. Once the body's glucose levels begin to drop and it has already exhausted all short term glucose storage (liver and muscle glycogen) it will begin to break down glucogenic amino acids in order to maintain adequate glucose levels (which is the highest priority in this situation). But once glucose levels are sufficient, the body will tend to use fat*. Incidentally the metabolic pathways that burn fat require carbohydrate intermediates (chemicals broken down from carbohydrates), so I assume that these intermediates are also in glucogenic amino acids. If I have the time I'll try and find a hard source for you.

*A determining factor may be activity levels.
    This, but i think an elaboration of Starvation mode is needed.

Are we talking about periods of no caloric intake(& if so how long)
    or periods of low caloric intake(& if so how long at what are the macro ratio's)

Sorry if this bump offends (I get negged a ton for this)
    But i'm looking for a particular article and i do not remember which post had it.
    Seek truth and reason