Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    kennylo is just really nice. (+1000) kennylo is just really nice. (+1000) kennylo is just really nice. (+1000) kennylo is just really nice. (+1000) kennylo is just really nice. (+1000) kennylo is just really nice. (+1000) kennylo is just really nice. (+1000) kennylo is just really nice. (+1000) kennylo is just really nice. (+1000) kennylo is just really nice. (+1000) kennylo is just really nice. (+1000)

Will Men’s Fitness Model Contests Kill Bodybuilding?

During a recent episode of Big Nation Radio, WBFF Pro Fitness Model World ChampionObi Obadike boasted of a newfound six-figure contract with MusclePharm.
    Which coincidentally aired around the same time that Supplement King Muscletech cut their bodybuilding roster by more than 60%, releasing nearly all of their lesser known Pro Bodybuilders.

It made all of us at MuscleWeek sit back and wonder if we were witnessing a seismic shift in the marketing strategies of the supplement companies, and made us ask the question:

Do the relatively new Men’s Fitness Model and Physique Competitions signal the end of the line for Bodybuilding?

Now before we jump on the latest bandwagon of prematurely announcing the death of bodybuilding, let’s look at a few facts:

- Most guys get into bodybuilding to improve their muscularity
    - Most guys look up to Pro Bodybuilders because they get the magazine covers and attract the most attention
    - Most competitive bodybuilders mention getting their Pro card as one of the reasons they continue to compete
    - The perceived benefit of having a Pro card is to obtain sponsorship from an apparel, supplement, or beverage company.

And when one looks at the above facts, one quickly realizes that all of the above can be attained by competing and being successful in the Men’s Fitness Model Competition. Better yet, instead of having a grotesquely large and unhealthy body that is ogled by 90% men and 10% emotionally stunted women (figure, bikini and fitness competitors), a winning men’s fitness model competitor will have a body that 99% of women crave and 1% of men ridicule as being ‘twinks’.

Gregg Plitt
    Gregg Plitt is a fitness model who has been sponsored by Met-Rx for the past 3 years. THREE YEARS! That’s an eternity in bodybuilding, where guys typically jump ship every 1-2 years by virtue of their perceived value either rising or falling in the eyes of their sponsor.

If you ask the hardcore bodybuilder to drop weight to compete in Men’s Physique, he might look at you like you’ve gone mad. But that’s his Hulk-smashing ego fronting for him. A quick look at today’s trend in sponsorships reveals that even guys with average physiques like Isaac Hinds are landing contracts (Muscletech) and the guys landing the covers of previously bodybuilder-dominated magazines like Muscle & Fitness are more likely to resemble a physique competitor (i.e. an MMA fighter) than a Mr. Olympia winner.

The numbers show us that magazines like Men’s Health and Men’s Fitness routinely outsell bodybuilding publications by a 10:1 or even 20:1 margin. The main reason you don’t see Muscletech Advertorials and BSN ads (along with the smaller companies) plastered everywhere in those magazines is because their advertising rates are astronomically higher than what you’d find in a bodybuilding rag.

But what does Men’s Physique really mean to most of us?

It means:

- Significantly less drugs (out with the ridiculously high levels of androgens).
    - Less food (no more 6000 calorie/day diets).
    - More cardio (with less reliance on gh).
    - A more attainable physique to sell most guys on how they really want to look.
    - A more fit physique capable of walking two flights of stairs without requiring oxygen.
    - A body that is much closer to a woman’s idea of manly perfection.
    - That Hugh Jackman can walk off a movie set and become a Pro Men’s Physique Champion overnight.

IFBB Pro Hugh Jackman

As much as the hardcore bodybuilding fan base has ridiculed the introduction of the Men’s Physique category, the supplement companies that run bodybuilding have clearly thrown their support behind this new division, and if there’s one thing we all know: We’d all rather look 27,583% BETTER than be 27,584% STRONGER.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by kennylo View Post
    Will Men’s Fitness Model Contests Kill Bodybuilding
    Not for me, or anyone else who's into BODYBUILDING.

Personally, I don't give a rat's patoot about "fitness" competitions or what any of the supplement companies do or don't do. It's irrelevant; I'll continue to bodybuild and to associate with bodybuilders. I'll assume other bodybuilders will do the same.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Not for me, or anyone else who's into BODYBUILDING.

Personally, I don't give a rat's patoot about "fitness" competitions or what any of the supplement companies do or don't do. It's irrelevant; I'll continue to bodybuild and to associate with bodybuilders. I'll assume other bodybuilders will do the same.
    not even 1 patoot at all???

Mr. Furious has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr. Furious has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr. Furious has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr. Furious has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr. Furious has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr. Furious has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr. Furious has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr. Furious has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr. Furious has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr. Furious has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr. Furious has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It's a marketing niche, supplement companies go where the money is and right now things are trending towards that type of physique. Bodybuilding has always been there and will still be there when the trend swings back. It's sort of like heavy metal.

TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think bodybuilding is here to stay. Nothing wrong with the supp co's expanding the marketing. After all they are in business to make money.

sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by blkbelt42 View Post
    He was very clear, he doesn't give a RAT's patoot. He may give other animals' patoots though...
    Follow my 2018 competition prep here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175566421&p=1547462721#post1547462721

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Very interesting thread. I'm glad to read it. I for one hope to get as big as the fitness model competitors. There's a reasonable hope that I can. Judging the stats of most bb.com posters, getting to fitness model caliber would be a huge step in the right direction. In spite of being much smaller than their bodybuilding brethren, these guys aren't Puzzies.*

Take Greg Plitt for example: 6'1" 195 at around 7% bodyfat. I have to gain 20lbs of lbm to get up to that. It'll take me years to do it, but I will. If you said, get up to 265 at 4%, there's no way in this lifetime I will ever achieve that, not without tens of thousands of "cocktails" to do it. Even though many fitness competitors presumably use gear, at least their physiques are achievable for a guy like me.

Frankly, reading about the routine of a pro and the diet of a pro is useless to me. I look up to those guys. I admire their dedication and their inspiring physiques, but I'm don't drink their brand of "cocktail", so what works for them, most likely won't for me. Would I love 20" guns? Hell yeah, but 17-18" is much more realistic for me, as such, I'll train the way natural guys with 17-18" guns do.

PS.
    Hugh Jackman worksout with 3 plates on bench for reps. It'll be a while before I even get there. He's 6'1" and normally 215. He cuts to 200 for movies. Again, I'll be thrilled when I get to that level.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by blkbelt42 View Post
    LOL. Nary a one.

Bodybuilding has always been an 'outlier' sport, and as far as I'm concerned, that's the way it should stay. IMO, the less the general public is involved with bodybuilding, the better off it is.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    "Will Men’s Fitness Model Contests Kill Bodybuilding?"

Good post. It is, however, nearly impossible to completely "kill" something, so this should have included a projected guess of where the sport will be going.
    01/07/06 - Quit Drinking. 03/15/08 - Quit Smoking.
    06/01/09 - At 118lbs, started lifting, intarweb fasting, and crab backtraced cycling.

ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Let them have their male and female descendents of bodybuilding, we all know where this started and bodybuilding is of no danger to be taken over by people who can't live up to the standard of being a bodybuilding competitor. They have their place and bodybuilding has its place. One appeals more to the masses and bodybuilding always has and always will appeal to people who want to become or see "freaks". The supp companies and federations smell where the money is and it isn't with the relatively small population of competitive bodybuilding. You want less AAS?? Go compete in a drug tested federation. This area is booming and I predict in the near future there will be more drug tested bodybuilding competitors than there are untested. Why? Because it appeals more to the masses. It is obtainable. Which is exactly what the supp companies want to promote but being a male model, female bikini, fitness, or figure competitor is easier than bodybuilding and gets the individual's name out there. Before you trounce on me for saying bodybuilding is harder look @ the facts. The aforementioned classes come in with a higher bodyfat %, less muscle, and have less owness placed on posing skill. In addition male models wear board shorts which covers up the legs, a significant bodypart in almost any other physique judging class.

sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ArchAngel'73 View Post
    Let them have their male and female descendents of bodybuilding, we all know where this started and bodybuilding is of no danger to be taken over by people who can't live up to the standard of being a bodybuilding competitor. They have their place and bodybuilding has its place. One appeals more to the masses and bodybuilding always has and always will appeal to people who want to become or see "freaks". The supp companies and federations smell where the money is and it isn't with the relatively small population of competitive bodybuilding. You want less AAS?? Go compete in a drug tested federation. This area is booming and I predict in the near future there will be more drug tested bodybuilding competitors than there are untested. Why? Because it appeals more to the masses. It is obtainable. Which is exactly what the supp companies want to promote but being a male model, female bikini, fitness, or figure competitor is easier than bodybuilding and gets the individual's name out there. Before you trounce on me for saying bodybuilding is harder look @ the facts. The aforementioned classes come in with a higher bodyfat %, less muscle, and have less owness placed on posing skill. In addition male models wear board shorts which covers up the legs, a significant bodypart in almost any other physique judging class.
    ^^ Nice post ^^

It seems to me that because the bar is set high and few people can get to that level, instead of having more people do all the hard work, we just lower the bar, so more people can make it. While this is understandable for the business part of BB, it is a negative for the sports part.
    And btw it's not just big mountains of muscle that take steroids, so I don't get the reasoning that by setting up these new classes we decrease the steroid use.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175566421&p=1547462721#post1547462721

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm experiencing deja vu.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I don't see why would be bb killed by fc. But I absolutely agree with OP or Hugh Jackman. Far more interest for Men Physique ( joker don't pull it out of contest ) then for today body building. And every observation is right at coin. My work bench crushed below me before a couple years when I was 235 and bench was rated 225 pounds.

Sothron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sothron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sothron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sothron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sothron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sothron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sothron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sothron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sothron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sothron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sothron will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't think it will kill bodybuilding. But it is likely to change it. IMHO that is a good thing. Before y'all go crazy: I'm not suggesting bodybuilding die. I'm a fan of the sport. But I am suggesting it change. When the drug aspect of the sport morphs to where it is today, we have to step back and some self-assessment: as fans, competitors, and those who identify as bodybuilders. Physique competitions don't interest me. However, they are gaining audience as evidenced by the sponsorship money. If that helps pull bodybuilding back from the brink, then IMO it's a good thing. Respectfully, I think those who want bodybuilding to continue in the direction its headed, and don't care if its margainalized, are being short-sited. So much good has come from the mainstreaming of bodybuilding post-Pumping Iron. That mainstreaming began slowly but has since made a huge impact on health, nutrition, and physical culture. The current trajectory of the sport, however, is the antithesis of those three things. Further, the mainstreaming of bodybuilding dramatically changed popular perceptions of beauty and male aesthetics. Again, the current trajectory of bodybuilding is reversing these perceptions.
    I realize the forum is divided on this issue and I'm not trying to start a ****mess. I'm just offering one man's opinion, nothing more, nothing less. I believe, however, that this opinion is shared by many.

As a *FAN* of bodybuilding, and a NON-FAN of men's physique, I do hope the growing popularity of physique helps bring bodybuilding back to its roots.
    "Our side of the barbed wire."

paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It is certainly an interesting article from someone who is in a position to know a bit more than most.
    paolo59

"If you're going through hell, keep going!" Winston Churchill

NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    More acceptable to the general public, and much more acceptable to the gym going sector. *Bodybuilding is an extreme adventure, that could potentially be further moved out of sight. *

But damn, people still are impressed with a bodybuilding out in public.
    My famous work quote:

I can live with a little pain and 18+" arms,
    I can't live with the pain of having little 14" arms

bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by NuclearArms View Post
    More acceptable to the general public, and much more acceptable to the gym going sector. *Bodybuilding is an extreme adventure, that could potentially be further moved out of sight. *

But damn, people still are impressed with a bodybuilding out in public.
    I know all Mr. Olympians but none of fitness winner and all natural winners.

lkelley1975 is just really nice. (+1000) lkelley1975 is just really nice. (+1000) lkelley1975 is just really nice. (+1000) lkelley1975 is just really nice. (+1000) lkelley1975 is just really nice. (+1000) lkelley1975 is just really nice. (+1000) lkelley1975 is just really nice. (+1000) lkelley1975 is just really nice. (+1000) lkelley1975 is just really nice. (+1000) lkelley1975 is just really nice. (+1000) lkelley1975 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Many Fitness competitors have better physiques than some of the people criticizing them. I say if brings attention to the sport, then do it. Will it overtake the Hulks, not likely.

christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    1)Will these male fitness models deadlift and squat?
    Cause if they don't I want nothing to do with any of them.
    (Half srs).
    2)Will they actually take the time to work on their obliques for a change at the expense of their waste size or will they just sport a six pack and run for cover on windy days?
    (srsness level up to 75%)

With all seriousness (finally), despite having a distaste for anything on a cover of a magazine (women are even worse off thanks to photoshop) I see the described route (if indeed where we're headed) as a big improvement over monstrous sized pros, at least as far as giving our young ones something to shoot for.
    As far as I'm concerned, drug free weightlifting for size/strength/fitness or whatever is the way to go.
    Drug free is the key phrase, I don't care about "fitness models".
    To me it's girlie territory.
    Not to offend women, I find men "models" exactly that.
    I feel better around my wife with oversized quads and a belly to "protect" my gains than looking like a blonde angel with a tiny waste and artisticly placed slubs of muscle on the stomach wall.
    I don't fear for bodybuilding's future whether I care or not.
    In fact, if size becomes all but extinct, it gives people incentive to look different by shooting exactly for that, size.
    It will never cease to impress people.
    And sense of real strength comes only with it, whether it's there or not.

Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Actual professional bodybuilding seems quite extreme and inaccessible for a lot of people, just because of rampant steroid use and the downright cadaverous appearance of its participants. I think this is better for the sport's image as a whole. Professional bodybuilding has slowly been dying for many years as genetically talented kids are going into UFC, MMA, and that stuff. Maybe this will be a wake-up call.
    Misc MD Crew

Foreveralone Virgin Crew

lkelley1975 is just really nice. (+1000) lkelley1975 is just really nice. (+1000) lkelley1975 is just really nice. (+1000) lkelley1975 is just really nice. (+1000) lkelley1975 is just really nice. (+1000) lkelley1975 is just really nice. (+1000) lkelley1975 is just really nice. (+1000) lkelley1975 is just really nice. (+1000) lkelley1975 is just really nice. (+1000) lkelley1975 is just really nice. (+1000) lkelley1975 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Srly,

At 5'10 180 and a gut, I doubt you'll ever be confused with one of these fitness competitors.

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    There is really not that much to kill. *Bodybuilding is a pretty insular sport already with a dedicated set of followers. *If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that Men's Fitness Model contests will draw more people in than bodybuilding, but it won't take away the existing fan base for hardcore bodybuilders.
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Originally Posted by Karl_Hungus View Post
    There is really not that much to kill. *Bodybuilding is a pretty insular sport already with a dedicated set of followers. *If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that Men's Fitness Model contests will draw more people in than bodybuilding, but it won't take away the existing fan base for hardcore bodybuilders.
    Any one normal who read about Matarazzo, Wheeler, Muntzer, Benaziza... would not have nothing with professional bb. It is domain of rare fanatics.
    Last edited by bbsitum; 08-09-2011 at 03:17 PM.

pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bbsitum View Post
    Any one normal who read about Matarazzo, Wheeler, Muntzer, Benaziza... would not have nothing with professional bb. It is domain of rare fanatics.
    Well said
    I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Originally Posted by bbsitum View Post
    Well yes, when you get to the point, as somebody here said in another thread, that you are so big you can't even reach behind to wipe your ass, I'd say you need to be really dedicated and single minded.

flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Alot of these guys compete in bbing as well as fitness. Alot of these guys look as good as natural bb competitors.

Most of the people that have negative things to say about them will never even come close to the way they look. Even in the leg department.

99% of this here forum is not into bbing anyway....so why do yall give a ****?

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by flat6nut View Post
    Alot of these guys compete in bbing as well as fitness. Alot of these guys look as good as natural bb competitors.

Most of the people that have negative things to say about them will never even come close to the way they look. Even in the leg department.

99% of this here forum is not into bbing anyway....so why do yall give a ****?
    ---

Because if we didn't give a s**t we'd have nothing to argue over! (only semi-serious)

Deja-vu is right, Marius. At any rate, bodybuilding means different things to different people. Some want the "extreme" look and will do anything to get it i.e. special cocktails. Others want the "physique/model" look and there is, in my mind, nothing wrong with that. It's something they want to do. Never mind that they aren't "big"--they may not want to get that big or maybe they can't--it comes down to a choice THEY make. I fully understand Ironwill's point about bodybuilding being an "outlier" sport (and I'll throw the word "art" into it as well) but the powers-that-be are trying to make it more accessible to others out there. That's where the money seems to be for the moment (I think Cozener used the expression "ebb and flow") and is where many, I feel, think they can show their physiques to their best advantage.

The question will arise: Is it bodybuilding? My answer is "Yes." Is it bodybuilding to one's fullest natural potential? No, I don't think it is, but ultimately, it comes down to what the individual wants to do and the look they want to achieve. My two yen...
    Last edited by GuyJin; 08-09-2011 at 10:52 PM.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If any of you guys think those fitness models are any more natural than the IFBB pros then you are living in Fantasy Land.
    "I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm." -Iggy and The Stooges

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I doubt most of them are natural...seeing pics that someone posted up a couple of months ago, I'd say maybe one or two were natural at most--the rest, as Kimsquit mentioned, well, his words were "It's the freakin' IFBB!" and he's right. They may just be on lower doses than the pros--who knows? The point is it's a different look that the IFBB is trying to market and while it will never supplant the established huge dudes onstage, it seems that for the moment it's becoming more popular. To each his/her own...
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by OutOfStep View Post
    If any of you guys think those fitness models are any more natural than the IFBB pros then you are living in Fantasy Land.
    Or 98% of the NPC guys for that matter.