Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000)

Ask me anything about the CSCS test

Just took and passed both sections today. *Its pretty fresh in my mind so if anyone is curious ask away.
    771/645/622 Single Ply

phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    What motivated you to get the CSCS and what do you plan to do with it? What other certifications/degrees do you have? Overall would you recommend it to others?
    Only a life lived for others, is a life worthwhile.

Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by phoenixr2 View Post
    What motivated you to get the CSCS and what do you plan to do with it? What other certifications/degrees do you have? Overall would you recommend it to others?
    When I was a Jr. in high school is when I realized I just wanted to be a gym rat my whole life and figured that training/strength coaching was the way to go.
    In between senior year and my freshman year of college I decided to get into powerlifting so I found a personal trainer to both help me out with the powerlifts and hopefully teach me some about the business. *I loved the guy and eventually he told me about certifications, he said if it isn't ACSM or NSCA its garbage (no offense to anyone, I believe people can have any cert and be good, or have any cert and be bad) but I got to learning about the certifications through that and decided that I wanted to end up a CSCS.

In 08 I got the NSCA CPT while I was in college just*because*I felt I was ready for it and I was doing a little training on the side, the guy who taught me the powerlifts (who was also a good friend) was thinking about adding me to his team but wanted me to have my CSCS for it. *He passed away while I was still in college though, so that never happened. *But because he made such a big impact on me I couldn't stop there.

My degree is in kinesiology but I went to a public health school and it taught me almost nothing about performance (except sports psych).

I would recommend it to others yeah. *Its obviously more expensive and harder than ACE ect, but I think its worth it

On the test, the main things are anything that if you do wrong could kill someone. *Hydration, eating*disorders, heat exhaustion, spotting techniques... things of that nature are the biggest
    771/645/622 Single Ply

DFisco is just really nice. (+1000) DFisco is just really nice. (+1000) DFisco is just really nice. (+1000) DFisco is just really nice. (+1000) DFisco is just really nice. (+1000) DFisco is just really nice. (+1000) DFisco is just really nice. (+1000) DFisco is just really nice. (+1000) DFisco is just really nice. (+1000) DFisco is just really nice. (+1000) DFisco is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'll be taking the test in less than a month. Almost done studying and feel like I know the material pretty well.

My first question is about programming. Do they ask a lot of questions in detail about speed, agility programming, as well as aerobic endurance programming? I found the book pretty lacking in details in those chapters compared to the one on resistance training. (The resistance training chapter covered all the bases in regards to selection of exercises, how to determine intensities, when and how to progress, etc. The speed and aerobic endurance chapters didn't really give specifics on much).

My second question is about job prospects after obtaining the CSCS. I have a bachelors in an unrelated field and was wondering to what extent this will hurt me. I've looked up strength and conditioning positions and everything seems to say "required: bachelors degree in exercise physiology or related field, masters preferred". Even internships say "bachelors in exercise science/kinesiology (or currently pursuing) required". Am I screwed even if I manage to pass the test?
    Accomplishments are just excuses to talk and spit.

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120442141

Originally Posted by DFisco View Post
    I'll be taking the test in less than a month. Almost done studying and feel like I know the material pretty well.

My first question is about programming. Do they ask a lot of questions in detail about speed, agility programming, as well as aerobic endurance programming? I found the book pretty lacking in details in those chapters compared to the one on resistance training. (The resistance training chapter covered all the bases in regards to selection of exercises, how to determine intensities, when and how to progress, etc. The speed and aerobic endurance chapters didn't really give specifics on much).

My second question is about job prospects after obtaining the CSCS. I have a bachelors in an unrelated field and was wondering to what extent this will hurt me. I've looked up strength and conditioning positions and everything seems to say "required: bachelors degree in exercise physiology or related field, masters preferred". Even internships say "bachelors in exercise science/kinesiology (or currently pursuing) required". Am I screwed even if I manage to pass the test?
    There are not a ton of questions on speed programming. *Main things to do with that is like rest periods (rest periods is actually a huge part of the test)*

aerobic training there are a good bit of questions. *How many x per week, what vo2 max for lactate threshold, what duration stuff like that. *The only thing for aerobic I studied was the different methods (long slow distance, pace/tempo, interval, repetition, fartlek) and their characteristics and that seemed to be enough.

Sorry I cannot help you with the 2nd question, I have no desire to be like a university strength coach so I have never even looked into it. *I know that if you want to be a personal trainer or coach weight/powerlifters most people probably wouldn't even think to ask if you have a related degree.

edit- I just looked up the 3 colleges and 1 private high school in my county, none even have strength coaches so either at small places*opportunities*are everywhere, or at small colleges they can't afford one
    Last edited by Torrtrefireto; 08-07-2011 at 06:23 AM.
    771/645/622 Single Ply

pav128 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what would be the main things to focus on for studying? or is it pretty even throughout the material?

Originally Posted by pav128 View Post
    what would be the main things to focus on for studying? or is it pretty even throughout the material?
    Hydration, eating dissorders, technique (especially sprinting and plyos), programming are the main thing

Then things like fiber types lever types contraction types antagonist agonist stuff
    771/645/622 Single Ply

lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by DFisco View Post

While I am not an expert in the specific area of hiring strength and conditioning coaches, in general the education requirements are there to scare you and generally weed out people who obviously don't have the right education. If you have a bachelor's degree in something that isn't fluffy, a CSCS certification and relevant work experience, you'll probably be fine.