Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Quinney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quinney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quinney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quinney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quinney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quinney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quinney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quinney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quinney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quinney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quinney is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Goals vs Lifestyle - thoughts?

I've been going through alot of posts lately that seem to concentrate on the sole principal of getting to B from A, whether putting on a few extra lbs of lean muscle or losing x amount of weight/fat.

Having been through the ups and downs of bodybuilding, both recreationally and competitively, it has become obvious that bodybuilding is more than a sport, it's a way of life (nothing new there to all you seasoned men (and women) of iron).

Whilst one can easily focus on a up coming competition, albeit at great sacrifice to ones other components of lifestyle, it isn't always easy to train year in, year out as at times goals are reached and then the question arises...now what? What I have found positive when training non competitive bodybuilders is setting 12 week programs, and in a journal logging sessions, diet and even pasting photos of gains and motivational pics. At the end of the period one carries out their own assessment and sets the goals for the next period.

It's not important how long the period is (provided one can see an end game) but the discipline utilised in logging the ups and downs and feeling one has direction and focus. Sometimes just setting one goal is just that, you reach it and ? a lot I see return to their old condition but continuing to progress is always harder. To the new guys out there, try to see beyond your initial target.

Ultimately, this sport is 7 days a week, 365 days a year, with training, rest and diet to always be considered.

What are other peoples thoughts?

Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think what you are saying is true if anything in life. If you are doggedly pursuing a goal and then reach it with no further plan most people will flounder. It happened to me while building my business. I am now in the habit of setting my next goal before I reach my current one. This helps me prevent the depression and loss of direction that I tend to experience once the joy of achievement wears off.

I completely agree about the journal. By logging one here I can see and consciously notice the ups and downs I go through while training. I also plan to post before and after photos when I complete each program. I think that is useful for anyone trying to determine what works and what does not.
    Workout Log ( currently Big Beyond Belief by Leo Costa )
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134605591

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Runic View Post
    I think what you are saying is true if anything in life. If you are doggedly pursuing a goal and then reach it with no further plan most people will flounder. It happened to me while building my business. I am now in the habit of setting my next goal before I reach my current one. This helps me prevent the depression and loss of direction that I tend to experience once the joy of achievement wears off.

I completely agree about the journal. By logging one here I can see and consciously notice the ups and downs I go through while training. I also plan to post before and after photos when I complete each program. I think that is useful for anyone trying to determine what works and what does not.

This!
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It's about balance now and more maintenance then anything as i am getting older, it's important for me to incorporate "Longevity" into my training, meaning yes i have trained hard, put my internal system at risk with boosting metabolism, breaking down nutrients, put kidneys , liver in overdrive just trying to be healthy by consuming lots of protein, supplements etc, I think as we get older it becomes very taxing on our systems, our bodies and need to find the balance of trying to be healthy and ensure that i dont over train and burn out my body physically, metabolically etc.-Ty
    All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the ... day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.

Tybalt aka The Phantom Menace
    BodDbyTybalt Fitness
    Can-Fit Pro PTS,NWS

freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000)
    Few things for me:
    1) Support. I get a huge amount of support from my wife and that keeps me motivated the majority of the time.
    2) Variety. I get interesting looks sometimes in the gym when I come in with my journal and scratch notes in it as I do each lift. But that just works for me. I try and never think about it being a 7 day thing 365 days a year as that sounds pretty daunting and boring to me. I focus on 6-8 weeks at a time and while in those weeks, I am already building and documenting another 6-8 workout plan. AKA another goal.
    3) Reward. Pick out a goal and reward yourself when you make it.
    4) Consider the health risk alternative. At our age there is a ton of other priorities, and let's face it; our body is not the same as when we were 18. But it’s a great time to look at the whole picture and see not only the current health benefits, but future. And also maybe its ego, but I feel I'm a step ahead of most just by being in the gym and that also keeps me going.
    5) Try not to stop for too long a period. Else you may quit altogether. And do lifts and workouts that are smart and stay away from injury as much as possible.
    Cheers.

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Quinney View Post
    it has become obvious that bodybuilding is more than a sport, it's a way of life
    This became PAINFULLY obvious to me as I came back off of a long layoff and decided to go full steam ahead instead of taking it a little at a time. Anyone can go to the gym on a regular basis, but the diet changes EVERYTHING about your life.

I agree with you, especially about keeping a log and journal. I think many people who take lifting seriously keep a log of weight, reps, and sets, but I don’t think enough keep a journal that notes how they feel mentally and physically and any changes in your routine. Looking back and realizing that every day you worked out a half hour later or were listening to 80s music instead of acid metal resulted in you being able to life a few more pound or add a rep can result in huge gains.

Also with digital cameras it is ridiculously easy to take regular pictures and compare your progress.

Dr.Griefo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dr.Griefo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dr.Griefo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dr.Griefo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dr.Griefo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dr.Griefo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dr.Griefo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dr.Griefo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dr.Griefo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dr.Griefo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dr.Griefo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by drudixon View Post
    This!
    Great journal (so was your 5x5 btw). I really overtrained the last two weeks so am on a deload this week and looking for a new program. The HST you did looks like it fits into my lifestyle so I'll be checking into it further.

I log everything into a notebook and set small goals with the idea of continually reaching and then adding new ones (small as well). I agree with the OP, if I didn't have goals I would flounder and lose interest. I do not set a large stretch goal though because I'm inpatient and would likely hurt myself trying to get to it too soon.

tobymax123 is a name known to all. (+5000) tobymax123 is a name known to all. (+5000) tobymax123 is a name known to all. (+5000) tobymax123 is a name known to all. (+5000) tobymax123 is a name known to all. (+5000) tobymax123 is a name known to all. (+5000) tobymax123 is a name known to all. (+5000) tobymax123 is a name known to all. (+5000) tobymax123 is a name known to all. (+5000) tobymax123 is a name known to all. (+5000) tobymax123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I really don't know what my goals are yet, but I am so appreciative of this forum for discussions like this. It really forces me to think about it.

I started working out off-and-on almost 15 years ago because, although I'm not overweight, I have genetic hypertension and high cholesterol and an extensive family history of heart attack deaths at age 51 on both sides of my family (seriously, my dad, maternal grandfather and an uncle - all age 51 and not overweight, but not health conscious either). So my goal really has always been just to not have a heart attack. As my doctor says, "We'll see if we can't get you past 51". Gee thanks doc, that'd be great. I started on meds for HPB and cholesterol about 5 years ago.

I was always happy that my off-and-on working out gave me a healthy-looking physique compared to others in my social circle, but only in the past 12-14 months have I really been consistent (all on, no off) and thought about re-shaping my body (AKA bodybuilding). I just don't know what my goals are in relation to that yet. I'm sure I'll come to a point that I need the extra motivation of a goal, but for now just seeing weekly/monthly chainges in my physique is keeping me motivated.
    Last edited by tobymax123; 08-03-2011 at 07:50 AM.

Quinney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quinney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quinney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quinney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quinney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quinney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quinney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quinney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quinney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quinney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quinney is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It's so reassuring to see that we all go through similar issues and hurdles, however posting a thread like this helps us realise this rather than feeling isolated.

I have the following points from the responses above, all of which prompted other considerations within my plan/objectives;

1. Tybalt - We are all fully aware of the dangers of AAS and illegal substances on our bodies and hence avoid them, however I forget to consider the strain at times (despite knowing full well) that we put on our kidneys and liver with regard to the diet, especially high protein diets. Freewait did add in a balancing thought however, consider what the 'average' person over 35 is doing, I think whatever we do will extend our lives and the quality of them.

2. Freewait - One point I thought relevant to me is the Support factor, something I've always problems with. Okay, I admit that when competing I would shut off life at least for the 12 weeks running up to the show but even now, I continually feel resistance, especially with girlfriends (maybe just the ones I choose) who attack the regime, the diet, the desire to look good as if its a threat to them. Then of course you have your work colleagues or acquaintances who question the whole concept of bodybuilding, and with a question dying to come out of their lips = why would you want to look like this going on 50? as if the ageing couch potato look they may have chosen has somehow been earned because they've reached middle age?? This attitude simply spurs me on more, however, I would have liked the Support if the truth be told.

3. Grubman - Having just come back from a long layoff after a prolapsed disc, I agree that one dives back in as if only a month had been missed and this can be counter productive. Where in the past I could get back into top shape in under 6 weeks, now its 12 to 18 yet I still set out as if its 6 and wonder why I feel dissolutioned!

4. Dr Griefo - Spot on re journal. It almost should be drilled into people starting out that there are 4 key elements to the sport 1. Training 2. Diet 3. Rest & 4. Recording everything. I simply start off with my 6 meals/snacks at the times consumed and everything that goes in whether food, liquid or supplements are listed. I then have a 'Condition' section which starts with how I feel on waking (fatigued, sore, injuries and status of any injuries), then I consider the visible signs (routine or diet getting results, holding water etc) and finally mental state (positive and seeing progress towards goal, flat due to diet, injury or over training, jaded or bored etc). Finally, I log my training routine in detail and paste pictures. The journal has the strange benefit of getting me psyched up for my next session!

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Whilst one can easily focus on a up coming competition, albeit at great sacrifice to ones other components of lifestyle, it isn't always easy to train year in, year out
    Well, I compete in strongman not bodybuilding, but personally I love training and wouldn't choose to do anything else year in and year out. That's now at least, I hope I feel the same in the future.

as at times goals are reached and then the question arises...now what?
    I don't worry about that, I have enough goals to last me for a long time.

and in a journal logging sessions, diet and even pasting photos of gains and motivational pics. At the end of the period one carries out their own assessment and sets the goals for the next period.

It's not important how long the period is (provided one can see an end game) but the discipline utilised in logging the ups and downs and feeling one has direction and focus. Sometimes just setting one goal is just that, you reach it and ? a lot I see return to their old condition but continuing to progress is always harder. To the new guys out there, try to see beyond your initial target.
    (snip)
    What are other peoples thoughts?
    My thoughts about keeping a log? I think it's very important. I don't write anything down but I video my training and have a video training log on youtube ( under bigtallox ). It's always cool that when I think I'm not making progress, I can just go back and look at some of my old videos, it makes my progress obvious.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The word "fun" has not appeared once in this entire thread. All this talk of goals and lifestyle make working out sound like taking some kind of medication. "I did three 12 sets of chest today along with my fiber." Not that the health aspects aren't important, of course they are, but where's the fun at boys? ox I know darned well you have a good time. You look like a kid with a toy in most of your vids. I just think we should all admit that we do what we do because it is freakin fun, and that's what really counts.

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I spent too long focused on goals in my training. Everything was about getting one more rep, five more pounds, getting stronger and more powerful for the sake of getting stronger and more powerful. I forgot how to have fun, forgot the real reason I train, and it's not to look better, lift more, or see how close I can come to puking. I train because I love to have fun, and what I consider fun are fighting, hiking, and throwing things.

That's caused a shift in my resistance training. I'm still lifting heavy and training hard, but it's in a supporting role now.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by GnomusMaximus View Post
    The word "fun" has not appeared once in this entire thread.
    I hinted at it...

Originally Posted by bigtallox View Post
    personally I love training and wouldn't choose to do anything else year in and year out.

All this talk of goals and lifestyle make working out sound like taking some kind of medication.
    I agree, to me my involvement in strongman is not "a lifestyle" it's a hobby. A hobby that I like very much and would love if it could become more than just a hobby, i.e. I could make money from it somehow, but it's not my "lifestyle". But maybe I just attach different connotations to those words.

ox I know darned well you have a good time. You look like a kid with a toy in most of your vids. I just think we should all admit that we do what we do because it is freakin fun, and that's what really counts.
    Thanks, I do have a good time. I guess I took the OP's post to be more about importance of keeping a journal or log, but yeah of course I do it because I love it, I don't view any of it as some chore, if I did I'd quit, lol. I also do it because I love competing. And I do it because I like what it does to my body and mind. There are lots of reasons, but right now I'm training because I want to win NAS masters nationals, that doesn't make it any less fun.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You're going to kick ass at nationals. You've put in some awesome work this year.

There's nothing wrong with goals, I have them as well. I just think sometimess in all the talk about goals and lifestyles and "enpowering" or "empowering" (it hurts me even to type it) we lose track of the most important thing, we're all having a blast. When we aren't it becomes more like a prescription from a Dr.

Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I hadn't thought of it until you pointed it out, but yes, lifting is fun. And, since I am sequestered away from my beloved trout rivers for the time being (brand new baby), its about the funnest thing I've got going these days. If I didn't enjoy it, I don't think I would do it.

freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000)
    You're going to kick ass at nationals. You've put in some awesome work this year.

There's nothing wrong with goals, I have them as well. I just think sometimess in all the talk about goals and lifestyles and "enpowering" or "empowering" (it hurts me even to type it) we lose track of the most important thing, we're all having a blast. When we aren't it becomes more like a prescription from a Dr.
    Exactly. Also one other point is that I have a great time with friends who also workout. Nothing like a little ribbing and comparisons to keep me motivated and having fun. I'll email a couple friends of mine several times a day joking (or complaining) about "today is leg day"....or asking questions about lifts or routines. Plus a gym is an interesting place for some funny stories and questions. Yesterday's topic from a dude was that he got charged 300 bucks at a Chevy dealership to replace a battery in his Tahoe....

bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm wanna be classe. In my case classe mean be good build all time, carry good athletic fit and trim fit shirts, not need to be expensive (pants are reserved loose fit Levis and German Wrangler), and drive luxury cars (in my case 20 years old). So body building for FIGURE is part of my life style. And bb is huge help against beer and casino.
    Just past night I tought go to gym and guy call me at "a couple" beers in front of his garage. Body building help that "a couple" don't happen to often. What guy is celebrate - coming of cool front air.
    Accursse classe mean don't argue people all time.

bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Runic View Post

You have huge point here. Exactly same case with me. I know everything in framing, trimming and waterproofing. Noting more to learn and just work for money is tedious like hell. No any challenge at job any more. Outside of framing and trim construction don’t interest me. I would not touch concrete with rod.

Excellent piint Gnomus! As BTO said, the main focus was on recrding and continuing goings, I (may have been impertanent of me) assumed we have fun and enjoy the training...dieting (although Ox I'm not sure if you need to diet, more to the point can you get enough food to manage that power!!!?).

I changed my whole view of going to the gym as it at times became a 'oh I have to do x number of sets, hit Y in weight' and I'd be dreading some sessions. Now, I go in with the muscle group I intend to train, warm up, see how I feel and do whatever exercise I will enjoy at that time i.e. not something I don't feel up to and I wouldn't enjoy. On another day I'll just do 3 sets and hit the pool = no pressure = I enjoy every session = better results and longevity training. This is something I couldn't do when competing, it was a grind but there was a very formal goal! 1 minute on stage in front of 2,000 people....................

Amazing! just went to the gym, dumped my planned session and did what I truly wanted to do and not only had fun but hit my best for this 12 week program, am still pumped now.....the power of the mind!

It is what I think too. People here talk about suffering and pain of body building. I see only enjoinment. If would be UFC or American football talent I would weight lift like creasy but again will considered weight lifting a enjoinment.
    “Must be dedicated to keep going with training”. For me same lake say must be dedicated to keep going with listening to MP3 player.

All my PRs are history HoustonTXMuscle's Avatar
    HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

So true. Tho, I've been retired for over 5 years, I keep setting new goals and trying to achieve them; life isn't over after 70. The truth is that I continue to enjoy my cardio, workouts and eating according to a meal plan to achieve those goals. I can't even imagine what life would be without them. Probably dull and not enjoyable.
    Inactivity Kills!!!

My journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140991491 Age is NOT an acceptable excuse.

Played with dinosaurs as a child. Back then everyone was thin; it was a matter of out-running the raptors or being one of their meals.

Blimey! when you said retired Houston I had to check the age, you're an inspiration to our beloved sport/s. My father dropped into my office yesterday after his 87th birthday, and he was on his race bike (cycle) as opposed to his chopper motorcycle. He was my coach, mentor etc from before I left short pants, and still he goes on. He was a professional boxer of the old school, sometimes in his amateur days he box twice a night, my boxing ended at 17 after 7 years due to broken hands. Although he doesn't jog and swim everyday now, he is hyperactive and my inspiration. Recently I was feeling jaded and asked him (expecting a completely different answer) when he felt that he was starting to slow down i.e. fitness and strength wise, his answer 'errr, I think when we were in New York last' = 2001 = 77........I immediately got over my issue

flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I lift becuase it is fun, why else?

rjbullock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you approach bodybuilding as a sport, that's up to you. I assume most of the guys on this forum do. I don't. I approach as a path to fitness and attractiveness, nothing more. My doctor said I needed to work out at my age to keep my hormone levels up (especially testosterone) so I'm following his advice.

That said, I am "semi-serious" in that I research what workout routines work best for people at my "newbie" stage. I've been lifting for about 9 months and I'm very happy with my progress, but last few months progress has slowed. So I am trying different things, particularly HIT approaches. I am aiming for definition over bulk, so maybe HIT isn't right? Or maybe it's right when I hit a plateau and want to break through? I don't know, I'm learning...

I have to admit, I don't understand guys that are obsessed with size and strength unless you're into it competitively. I mean, what's the point? It doesn't make you any healthier really. It doesn't attract mates; studies have shown time and time again that women (and probably a lot of gay guys, if that's your thing) aren't into huge muscles. Of course, if it's your hobby and it's what makes you happy, that's great! I just think it's a strange hobby I guess. ;-)

RJ, that's quite a bold post, alot of which I would agree, however I think one has to respect everybodies goals or objectives. Having been a competitive bodybuilder I can concur that on average it doesn't attract a mate per se, but that's not the objective of a competitive bodybuilder. As for strength I think Bigtallox is the one to answer this, but again I'm sure he doesn't toss logs and carry tractor tyres to attract women (apologies if I'm wrong Ox). To not understand why people wish to take this route is okay but at least appreciate the dedication that goes into it. When I competed, I wasn't in anyway huge, and definition and symmetry won the competitions for me against much bigger guys (in NABBA anyway as the IFBB were in weight classes), I'm of the Frank Zane school of bodybuilding and cannot really admit to being a fan of the current bloated freaks adorning the Olympia stage. In my first British finals I competed at 5'10" in the middle weight class (80kg - 176lb), I was shredded but 4 to 5 inches taller than my competitors, I was told I'd have to move up to the heavyweights i.e some 60lbs heavier than me but my height, I made it to light heavy but the way things were going it was time to bale out, I too train for health and to be attractive, and the way the sport was heading was in the other direction. So, I would say I train for the same reasons as you now, but it's still a sport to me, a sport that brings me health and fun!

At the end of the day bodybuilding has always been regarded as both a fringe sport/hobby and viewed with intrigue as to why we do it, but that's what makes it different and special, for all the reasons so many people diss it, these reasons make me love it....if everybody could achieve an Athenean body, where would the challenge be? Re your plateau, you will need to change things around on a regular basis, diet, training or else the body adapts, shock it! things will change as its only normal to change quickly as you start out, only to slow down

rjbullock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Quinney, I didn't mean to disrespect anyone or question their goals. I have a ton of respect for everyone that works hard at their goals, whatever they are. I was just saying that I don't *personally* get the point of getting massive *unless* it's for competitions, i.e., sport.

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by rjbullock View Post
    If you approach bodybuilding as a sport, that's up to you. I assume most of the guys on this forum do. I don't. I approach as a path to fitness and attractiveness, nothing more. My doctor said I needed to work out at my age to keep my hormone levels up (especially testosterone) so I'm following his advice.

That said, I am "semi-serious" in that I research what workout routines work best for people at my "newbie" stage. I've been lifting for about 9 months and I'm very happy with my progress, but last few months progress has slowed. So I am trying different things, particularly HIT approaches. I am aiming for definition over bulk, so maybe HIT isn't right? Or maybe it's right when I hit a plateau and want to break through? I don't know, I'm learning...

I have to admit, I don't understand guys that are obsessed with size and strength unless you're into it competitively. I mean, what's the point? It doesn't make you any healthier really. It doesn't attract mates; studies have shown time and time again that women (and probably a lot of gay guys, if that's your thing) aren't into huge muscles. Of course, if it's your hobby and it's what makes you happy, that's great! I just think it's a strange hobby I guess. ;-)
    Lots of folks DO want to get bigger, but lack the self-discipline and effort required to do it. My personal experience with how women feel about muscles has been...that they like them.*

Of course, I am in competition, with myself. No stage or other BBer can compete with that.
    Last edited by Brackneyc; 08-06-2011 at 05:03 PM.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by rjbullock View Post

That's an 'interesting' observation for someone to post on a bodybuilding site.

Good luck in meeting your fitness goals.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    That's an 'interesting' observation for someone to post on a bodybuilding site.
    Interesting = trollish imo.*
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.