Dreamer_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dreamer_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dreamer_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dreamer_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dreamer_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dreamer_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dreamer_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dreamer_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dreamer_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dreamer_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dreamer_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Canned tuna: sodium content

average quantity per 100g (brine)
    Sodium - 400mg
    I always strain the brine out from the tuna. Is the sodium in the brine or in the tuna?

Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'd be more concerned about mercury content rather than sodium.

Dreamer_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dreamer_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dreamer_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dreamer_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dreamer_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dreamer_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dreamer_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dreamer_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dreamer_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dreamer_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dreamer_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Christiffer View Post
    Doesn't really answer my question though does it?

Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Think about the question your asking for a second. If the sodium was in the brine, and the tuna is soaking In it...The sodium would be in the tuna also. Use some common sense. Spdium is not an issue among the broader population anyway.

Think about the question your asking for a second. If the sodium was in the brine, and the tuna is soaking In it...The sodium would be in the tuna also. Use some common sense. Spdium is not an issue among the broader population anyway.
    If the sodium content displayed is 400mg per 100g and that 400mg is mainly based within the brine. Then yes, some sodium would be soaked into the tuna but not all. Therefore, that means the sodium intake is wrongly displayed when i drain the brine from it and squeeze the tuna dry.

I'm not really concerned if its an issue with the broader population or the mercury levels, I'm more concerned on the actual scientific answer to my original question posed.

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Spdium is not an issue among the broader population anyway.
    In fact, reduced sodium intake may well be a bad thing.*

-----------------
    * Please see: http://newsatjama.jama.com/2011/05/0...t-restriction/

Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    In fact, reduced sodium intake may well be a bad thing.*

-----------------
    * Please see: http://newsatjama.jama.com/2011/05/0...t-restriction/
    Exactly. My current daily sodium intake is 2187mg and the recommended ranges are between 1500mg - 2300mg. If the sodium in the canned tuna when drained and squeezed dry is lower then the displayed amount on the can. Then i may be in a sodium deficient.

Originally Posted by Dreamer_ View Post
    Exactly. My current daily sodium intake is 2187mg and the recommended ranges are between 1500mg - 2300mg. If the sodium in the canned tuna when drained and squeezed dry is lower then the displayed amount on the can. Then i may be in a sodium deficient. Cheers for the link.
    So why didn't you ask about sodium rather than the content of a specific food selection.

So why didn't you ask about sodium rather than the content of a specific food selection.
    I couldn't *face palm* you any more if i tried.

I couldn't *face palm* you any more if i tried.
    Pug cited a study about sodium in general. Not the ratio of sodium in a can of Tuna (meat/brine). Then you act like your original question was answered when it wasn't about sodium in general, it was about the sodium in tuna. Keep face palming, seems pretty immature.

Pug cited a study about sodium in general. Not the ratio of sodium in a can of Tuna (meat/brine). Then you act like your original question was answered when it wasn't about sodium in general, it was about the sodium in tuna. Keep face palming, seems pretty immature.
    No, he stated that reduced sodium can be bad, Hence the reason i made the thread. My question has not been answered yet. I'm face palming you because none of your posts are even relevant to the question i originally asked. It's annoying to say the least.

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    OP, just how much tuna are you eating per day/week? Is it canned white tuna or canned light tuna? I am pretty sure when I hear your response I will agree with the very first post that Christiffer made in this thread, but I will await your response.

No, he stated that reduced sodium can be bad, Hence the reason i made the thread. My question has not been answered yet. I'm face palming you because none of your posts are even relevant to the question i originally asked. It's annoying to say the least.
    Calm down, bro. It's unreasonable to put a exact value on the amount of
    Sodium drained in the brine. If
    Your that concerned, I'd count it as half of the original sodium content. I personally wouldn't track sodium anyway. I doubt anyone can cite a study showing how much sodium is in the meat itself, after draining.

Originally Posted by snorkelman View Post
    OP, just how much tuna are you eating per day/week? Is it canned white tuna or canned light tuna? I am pretty sure when I hear your response I will agree with the very first post that Christiffer made in this thread, but I will await your response.
    100g a day atm, unsure of white or light. The can just says "tuna chunks in brine"

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    100g a day atm, unsure of white or light. The can just says "tuna chunks in brine"
    Let's assume it is light. 100 g = 3.5 oz. Did you know that it is recommended to limit your intake of canned light tuna to 12 ounces per week from a mercury standpoint? That would be about 340 grams. This means that if you are eating 100 grams a day, which is 700 grams per week, you are essentially ingesting twice as much tuna as is recommended.

Let's assume it is light. 100 g = 3.5 oz. Did you know that it is recommended to limit your intake of canned light tuna to 12 ounces per week from a mercury standpoint? That would be about 340 grams. This means that if you are eating 100 grams a day, which is 700 grams per week, you are essentially ingesting twice as much tuna as is recommended.
    That wasn't his question... I agree w snorkel here though.

That wasn't his question... I agree w snorkel here though.
    I know it wasn't his question. I was attempting to show him that he is focusing on the tree next to him while excluding the entire forest around him. The amount of sodium in one stinking can of tuna is not going to make or break anyone. Op stated that his daily sodium intake is 2187mg. I don't see what the concern is about a possible maximum of 400 mg in a can of tuna?

I know it wasn't his question. I was attempting to show him that he is focusing on the tree next to him while excluding the entire forest around him. The amount of sodium in one stinking can of tuna is not going to make or break anyone. Op stated that his daily sodium intake is 2187mg. I don't see what the concern is about a possible maximum of 400 mg in a can of tuna?
    I tried helping in that reguard but got this in return.
    "that doesn't really answer my question does it"
    And this
    "I'm not really concerned if its an issue with the broader population or the mercury levels, I'm more concerned on the actual scientific answer to my original question posed."
    I'm not really sure he's going to receive a scientific answer to that question. ps. I agree with everything you've had to say.

I'm feeling generous this morning:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/archiv...109905701.html

There is no concern atm, but in the future there might be due to changes with my diet structure, finance and other factors. I'm not going to list these as that just derails the thread from my original question.

Back in 1983 some researchers* actually drained and rinsed for 3 minutes tuna and it resulted in sodium reductions of 80%. Also, some guy in the thread I linked above posted a tuna product that he buys which has a reduced sodium content.

* See, Effect of water rinsing on sodium content of selected foods. Vermeulen RT, et al. J Am Diet Assoc. 1983 Apr;82(4):394-6.

Back in 1983 some researchers* actually drained and rinsed for 3 minutes tuna and it resulted in sodium reductions of 80%. Also, some guy in the thread I linked above posted a tuna product that he buys which has a reduced sodium content.

* See, Effect of water rinsing on sodium content of selected foods. Vermeulen RT, et al. J Am Diet Assoc. 1983 Apr;82(4):394-6.
    Cheers

WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Back in 1983 some researchers* actually drained and rinsed for 3 minutes tuna and it resulted in sodium reductions of 80%.
    Oh my god, we now know the origin of tuna as a "clean" food!!!

elperfecto is a name known to all. (+5000) elperfecto is a name known to all. (+5000) elperfecto is a name known to all. (+5000) elperfecto is a name known to all. (+5000) elperfecto is a name known to all. (+5000) elperfecto is a name known to all. (+5000) elperfecto is a name known to all. (+5000) elperfecto is a name known to all. (+5000) elperfecto is a name known to all. (+5000) elperfecto is a name known to all. (+5000) elperfecto is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Why should we be concerned with the mercury content? How much Tuna do you have to eat to see any adverse side effects from mercury poisoning?

Originally Posted by elperfecto View Post
    Why should we be concerned with the mercury content? How much Tuna do you have to eat to see any adverse side effects from mercury poisoning?
    As little as 6 ounces per week, depending on the type of tuna consumed,* and perhaps even less.**

------------------
    * See: See, Quantitative approach for incorporating methylmercury risks and omega-3 fatty acid benefits in developing species-specific fish consumption advice. Ginsberg GL, et al. Environ Health Perspect. 2009 Feb;117(2):267-75. Full text at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...HP-117-267.pdf

** See: An evaluation of mercury concentrations in three brands of canned tuna. Gerstenberger SL, Environ Toxicol Chem. 2010 Feb;29(2):237-42. Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20821440

jmecdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmecdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmecdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmecdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmecdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmecdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmecdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmecdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmecdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmecdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmecdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    OP - canned tuna is not the best food to be eaten. Having said that, the tuna does soak up the sodium, and other stuff, that is in the brine. The better you are at getting the tuna dry from the brine, the better off you are. But, you will never get all the sodium out of it. If you are concerned about the sodium, don't eat canned tuna. As far as the mercury is concerned, the more tuna you eat, the more exposure and risk you undertake. However, the amount of tuna you will need to eat for it to become a real problem (generally speaking) is massive. You will get totally sick of eating tuna long before then. I eat canned tuna as a treat, maybe once every few months.

Originally Posted by jmecdon View Post
    As far as the mercury is concerned, the more tuna you eat, the more exposure and risk you undertake. However, the amount of tuna you will need to eat for it to become a real problem (generally speaking) is massive.
    You post this comment directly below a post the points to relevant, peer-reviewed research that indicates as little as 6 ounces of tuna per week poses a health risk.

What were you thinking???

dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There's much less sodium in canned tuna drained of brine than there is in supermarket BBQ chickens and Continental Chicken and Vegetable Rice packs.

Sorry Dreamer_... couldn't help myself! Good to see you're still alive after your first "attempt".

niqui7ladoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) niqui7ladoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) niqui7ladoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) niqui7ladoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) niqui7ladoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) niqui7ladoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    do 1 of the following:

buy a brand where they show the breakdown for the actual product drained and in the brine on the package - i know a few brands available in canada and europe do offer the nutritional info for both states of the product.

buy reduced sodium tuna

if you can spend on it, its pricey, but it tastes difference ; try pole-caught tune with low salt - i eat rainforest coast or something.

sometimes, i wash the tune if its regular, not only from a sodium point of view, i just find it tastes to salty.

i know i cannot tell you what proportion of the sodium is in the brine v the fish itself, but if you follow the above, i think you stand a better chance at limiting/controlling your sodium or at least keeping a more accurate record of your daily consumption of it.

nick

MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by dat View Post
    There's much less sodium in canned tuna drained of brine than there is in supermarket BBQ chickens and Continental Chicken and Vegetable Rice packs.

Sorry Dreamer_... couldn't help myself! Good to see you're still alive after your first "attempt".
    lol aware

in after the legendary OP. But I am glad he shown great progress after.
    أشهد أن لا إله إلاَّ الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله