chem1cal is on a distinguished road. (+10) chem1cal is on a distinguished road. (+10) chem1cal is on a distinguished road. (+10) chem1cal is on a distinguished road. (+10) chem1cal is on a distinguished road. (+10) chem1cal is on a distinguished road. (+10) chem1cal is on a distinguished road. (+10) chem1cal is on a distinguished road. (+10) chem1cal is on a distinguished road. (+10) chem1cal is on a distinguished road. (+10) chem1cal is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Workout Regiment - Review Requested

Good Morning All,

I've been working out solidly for about a year. I've been supplementing for about 8ish months (If I had to guess). I had been working out in specific time frames, the most recent being this:
    *Day 1: Chest / Triceps / Some Cardio (Pre and Post Workout) / Abs
    *Day 2: Back / Biceps / Some Cardio (Pre and Post Workout) / Abs
    *Day 3: Legs / Shoulders / Traps / Some Cardio (Pre and Post Workout)
    *Day 4: Rest / Light Cardio such as walking

Basically, within a week time-frame, I was hitting each muscle group twice at least. I made pretty good strides in the realm of muscular hypertrophy and strength. For example, I was using 30 lb. - 35 lb. dumbbells when I used to do Dumbbell Bench Presses, whereas now I use 70 lb. - 85 lb. dumbbells @ 8 - 12 reps. - a significant improvement, to me.

Initially I was also doing TWO exercises per muscle group, four sets, equating to eight sets per body group (Ex: For chest I'd do 4 sets of bench press and 4 sets of flyes). I bumped it up to THREE exercises per muscle group at a steady 4 sets eventually, and that's where I've stayed for the time being when it comes to repetition and set amount.

Recently I had a cardiac scare (Intense heart palpitations) that put me in the hospital for a few hours. My doctor recommended increasing aerobic exercise. He also stated that someone with my stature should be about 170 lbs., which I thought was kind of low. Right now I am ~185lb. - 190 lb. @ 5'9" @ 13.8-14.1% BF. I have a generally big frame (Wide, broad shoulders) and have always had relatively larger arms (I wish I could say the same for my calves >_<).

Anyway, I've revamped my workout to do some cutting instead of bulking. I figure I'll try and lose around, eh... 10 lb. or so to bring me to ~176 (Which would be about 10% BF), of my calculations are correct. Here it is now (Also note that this is based on an actual week, not sets of days):
    *Sunday: Off / Light Cardio and/or some Abs
    *Monday: Back / Biceps / Some Abs / Some Cardio (Pre and Post Workout)
    *Tuesday: Aerobic Activity - Treadmill, Elliptical, Stationary Cycle, More Intense Ab Workout
    *Wednesday: Chest / Triceps / Some Abs / Some Cardio (Pre and Post Workout)
    *Thursday: Aerobic Activity - I'm figuring the Stationary Cycle @ Home and Insanity Cardo Abs
    *Friday: Legs / Shoulders / Traps / Some Abs / Some Cardio (Pre and Post Workout)
    *Saturday: Off / Light Cardio and/or some Abs

I'll throw in forearms in on Tuesday and Traps will possibly be done on Thursday so cut down on workout times on primarily anaerobic days.

I just want to know what you all think. Will this cut down my muscle mass at a rapid rate, or should I be fine? I don't want to lose what I've gained thus far. Through my studies I found that I'd be ok - I just wouldn't GAIN as much, which is fine since I am generally trying to cut right now (primarily) and whatnot.

Also, last but not least, here are the supplents I DO still take (As of last week I stopped taking a preworkout supplement due to the cardiac incident):
    *Whey Protein - GNC Amplified Wheybolic 60 (For now, until my supply runs out. Then I am going to Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein). I take this immediately post workout with water.
    *Creatine - Basic creatine monohydrate. I take this with water preworkout (~2.5g) and I sprinkle an additional ~2.5g of the creatine in my post workout shake.
    *Branch Chain Amino Acids - I take these all throughout the day. I got the capsules (Optimum Nutrition), which contains 1g of BCAA's each. I take two at a time, except for my post workout shake where I put one capsule in (I take the powder out and into the shake). I also take these before bed, usually alongside a glass of skim milk.
    *Flaxseed Oil - I need them Omega 3's. I take 1 or 2 a day if I can remember.

Side Supplements I used to take but stopped taking (but still have):
    *L-Carnitine
    *Green Tea Extract (I may try these again)

Also, in case anyone was wondering, the preworkout supplement I took that gave me the heart complications was Razor8. The guy at a local store recommended it. I've taken it before and never had any problems, so it was most likely due to higher intake of caffeine that day (I had coffee, the green tea extract and a Monster Rehab that day [A friend introduced me to them a few days earlier]), but still... Be careful. I've taken Cellucor C4 and Jack3d in the past, too. And yes, I've cycled off for a few weeks to a month.

Anyway, that's my story and inquiry.

Thanks!

Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I mean the workout will work, but I question why there's so much cardio and abs? You are aware that losing weight is determined by a calorie deficit, right? Assuming you aren't overeating and relying strictly on cardio to bring you into a calorie deficit, then that much cardio just isn't necessary. Have some self-control, fit what you eat into your macros, and you should be able to achieve a calorie deficit without excessive cardio. Perhaps you might want to check out the "Nutrition" sub-forum. It has a lot of useful information there.

Don't get me wrong, cardio in itself is fine. But most people don't like it, and it's much easier not overeating than spending an hour to an hour and a half at the gym doing cardio.
    S: 455, B: 375, D: 545

chem1cal is on a distinguished road. (+10) chem1cal is on a distinguished road. (+10) chem1cal is on a distinguished road. (+10) chem1cal is on a distinguished road. (+10) chem1cal is on a distinguished road. (+10) chem1cal is on a distinguished road. (+10) chem1cal is on a distinguished road. (+10) chem1cal is on a distinguished road. (+10) chem1cal is on a distinguished road. (+10) chem1cal is on a distinguished road. (+10) chem1cal is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Yodums View Post
    I mean the workout will work, but I question why there's so much cardio and abs? You are aware that losing weight is determined by a calorie deficit, right? Assuming you aren't overeating and relying strictly on cardio to bring you into a calorie deficit, then that much cardio just isn't necessary. Have some self-control, fit what you eat into your macros, and you should be able to achieve a calorie deficit without excessive cardio. Perhaps you might want to check out the "Nutrition" sub-forum. It has a lot of useful information there.

Don't get me wrong, cardio in itself is fine. But most people don't like it, and it's much easier not overeating than spending an hour to an hour and a half at the gym doing cardio.
    Thanks for your rapid and informative response!

Through my education I've learned that yes, you need ~3,500 calorie deficit a week to lose approximately one pound of fat per week. However, my doctor recommended that I do more aerobic activity at this point in time. Plus, I am possibly anticipating an Academy in the near future, and that'll be aerobically intense (I need to get better at running). Plus, aerobic activity helps create fat-depleting enzymes, among other effects that help to burn body fat.

Two other issues I have, though:
    1.) I have a desk job, which means I basically am relatively sedentary for 7-8 hours of the day, Monday-Friday. I can get up and walk around and take the stairs, which I try to do as much as possible, but it's nothing compared to, say... doing construction, a career firefighter, or even a waiter. So extra exercise, especially when it comes to cardio, helps.
    2.) I have Sleep Apnea. I have a CPAP Machine that I *TRY* to use, but I end up ripping it off in the middle of the night with no remembrance of committing such a heinous act! This, in turn, makes me tired throughout the day. Doing additional aerobic exercise will help stimulate my energy levels a bit.

Other than that, the aerobic activity I do on my anaerobic days is pre and post workout:
    *Pre-workout = 5 minutes of moderate activity on the elliptical or jogging @ ~5mph, or doing the stationary cycle (It depends what machine is open, too). This is to get the blood patterns flowing different throughout my body to accomodate the upcoming workout. I am starting to do a bit of static stretching after this, too.
    *Post Workout = 5-15 minutes of low-to-moderate activity to help drain lactic acid from the muscles and to cool down my heart rate. At this time I'll generally indulge in my protein shape (Mixed with water for increased absorption rate). This will usually be done on the stationary cycle or the elliptical, but I am considering doing some light walking on the treadmill from now on, too.

That's my reasons for the increased aerobic activity. I am also switching up my resistance training (Well, modifying) to SLIGHTLY lower weight and increased repetitions (About ~8-12 reps, rather than 6-10 reps for muscular hypertrophy).

Thanks again for your response - It is appreciated.

Any other input from you or others is appreciated as well.

Anyone else?