Windhand is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up Re-bounding after a stroke, need a specific plan

Had a stroke a few years ago...not outwardly noticeable like many are. Affected my sight, anxiety toleration, dizziness and short term memory.
    Most has gotten better, but have a really hard time holding a job. Disability is out of the question. I don't have endurance to "make it through an eight hour shift...four or five wears me out mentally. Sometimes less, if I work hard, one and a half is about it.

I used to workout years ago, but what I am contemplating is maybe working my way up to eight hours on my treadmill, just walking. Taking a break every couple of hours like @ work. And somehow beginning a weight lifting regimen. I'm 53 years old, 5'5, 194lb, 31.5% bodyfat (per doctor's scales.

I want to be able to make it through a days work like I used to, and tone up, hopefully even build some muscle in the right places. And single , so I need the looks factor too.

Hoping for some good constructive ideas...thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Windhand; 11-13-2018 at 01:37 AM.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm sure that with a combination of weight loss, fitness and resistance training you can really turn things around. Maybe start with fat loss/diet?

However this all needs to be done gently/gradually at first and under medical supervision.

Best wishes getting back to full health. Definitely get some guidance on how to start from your GP/ family doc.

Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    This may be the last thing you want to hear, but be patient. You can recover. It may not be 100% and it will not be fast.

My dad had a serious stroke about 20 years ago. He still has not fully recovered, but he's gotten to the point that he doesn't need a babysitter. And he still can't focus on more than one thing at a time.

Understand that you may not be the same person that you were. You suffered a brain injury. You may think you are the same, but the people around you will notice the difference. Ask them to be patient with you. And it will be trying - for you and everyone around you.

You need to follow your Dr's advice, but you may not be the only one that needs assistance. The people around you, your friends and family - there is a good chance they may need some emotional support dealing with you. I highly recommend that they join a stroke survivor support group - not for the stroke survivor (you), but a group for the people around you so they can help coping with the changes in you. My mom credits her support group for keeping her sane.

Hnbn1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hnbn1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hnbn1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hnbn1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hnbn1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hnbn1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hnbn1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hnbn1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hnbn1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hnbn1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hnbn1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Maybe try this physician's plan : Joel Fuhrman. It helped me when I was in despair 8 years ago for permanent weight loss. I'm still following his guidelines.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Windhand View Post
    Had a stroke a few years ago...not outwardly noticeable like many are. Affected my sight, anxiety toleration, dizziness and short term memory.
    Most has gotten better, but have a really hard time holding a job. Disability is out of the question. I don't have endurance to "make it through an eight hour shift...four or five wears me out mentally. Sometimes less, if I work hard, one and a half is about it.

I used to workout years ago, but what I am contemplating is maybe working my way up to eight hours on my treadmill, just walking. Taking a break every couple of hours like @ work. And somehow beginning a weight lifting regimen. I'm 53 years old, 5'5, 194lb, 31.5% bodyfat (per doctor's scales.

I want to be able to make it through a days work like I used to, and tone up, hopefully even build some muscle in the right places. And single , so I need the looks factor too.

Hoping for some good constructive ideas...thanks in advance.
    I'm not an MD; as such, I'm not qualified to offer even rudimentary exercise advice to someone with a history of serious medical issues.

You'd do well to have your attending physician refer you to a Physical Therapist (NOT a fitness center personal "trainer"), to set you up an appropriate plan to build your conditioning.

Good luck.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733