YCHR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YCHR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YCHR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YCHR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YCHR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YCHR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YCHR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YCHR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YCHR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YCHR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YCHR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Calorie count on label and macro's not adding up?

What am I missing? Should I go with calorie count stated or macronutrient addition?

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    Most likely due to rounding and/or subtraction of fiber from calories.
    TO make theings add up evenly, I ignore the listed # of carbs.
    Take total calories- (protein *4) - (fat*9)=calories from carbs
    calories from carbs/4= g of carbs
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

YCHR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YCHR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YCHR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YCHR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YCHR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YCHR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YCHR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YCHR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YCHR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YCHR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YCHR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by determined4000 View Post
    Most likely due to rounding and/or subtraction of fiber from calories.
    TO make theings add up evenly, I ignore the listed # of carbs.
    Take total calories- (protein *4) - (fat*9)=calories from carbs
    calories from carbs/4= g of carbs
    What if fiber content is stated to be 0, as in...ice cream for example (which is actually, the exact type of food I'm wondering about. I just ate a pint but the label states it as 130 and macros add up to 96, I don't want to end up short on cals for the day.)

BUMP*

I am still wondering about this.

For example; there's this cereal that yields a 30g serving with 113,1 kcals. Nonetheless, a 30g serving is made up of 0.5g FAT 25g CHO and 2g PRO according to the nutrition table and those macro's actually yield 108.5 kcals instead. I'm confused.

(BTW, I've always accounted for dietary fiber within CHOs as 4 kcal/g so I simply go with the amount of g's of CHO stated in the label.)

peteyboy1015 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) peteyboy1015 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) peteyboy1015 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) peteyboy1015 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) peteyboy1015 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) peteyboy1015 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) peteyboy1015 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) peteyboy1015 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) peteyboy1015 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) peteyboy1015 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) peteyboy1015 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by YCHR View Post
    BUMP*

I am still wondering about this.

For example; there's this cereal that yields a 30g serving with 113,1 kcals. Nonetheless, a 30g serving is made up of 0.5g FAT 25g CHO and 2g PRO according to the nutrition table and those macro's actually yield 108.5 kcals instead. I'm confused.

(BTW, I've always accounted for dietary fiber within CHOs as 4 kcal/g so I simply go with the amount of g's of CHO stated in the label.)
    Some people count calories from the nutrition label, while others count calories incorporating macros. Either way is fine, as long as you're consistent with your method (e.g. don't start counting by macros one day and then decide to switch over to counting by calorkes on the nutrition label the next day).

I use TheDailyPlate, which counts calories based on the nutrition label, and I've always done it like this.

Originally Posted by peteyboy1015 View Post
    Some people count calories from the nutrition label, while others count calories incorporating macros. Either way is fine, as long as you're consistent with your method (e.g. don't start counting by macros one day and then decide to switch over to counting by calorkes on the nutrition label the next day).

I use TheDailyPlate, which counts calories based on the nutrition label, and I've always done it like this.
    I understand consistency, however, what I'm wondering is that when they measured the caloric content of that 30g serving, for example, did it yield 113,1 kcal or 108.5 (as the macros for 30gs of that same food SHOULD yield)? Is it 113,1 kcal because there's 108.5 from those written macros and then 4.6 kcals from other types of fats besides trans/poly/sats and monos and "hidden" stuff? I realize I am probably getting too picky at this, but I want to understand things entirely or else they don't ever stop bugging me.

peteyboy1015 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) peteyboy1015 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) peteyboy1015 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) peteyboy1015 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) peteyboy1015 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) peteyboy1015 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) peteyboy1015 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) peteyboy1015 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) peteyboy1015 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) peteyboy1015 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) peteyboy1015 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I understand consistency, however, what I'm wondering is that when they measured the caloric content of that 30g serving, for example, did it yield 113,1 kcal or 108.5 (as the macros for 30gs of that same food SHOULD yield)? Is it 113,1 kcal because there's 108.5 from those written macros and then 4.6 kcals from other types of fats besides trans/poly/sats and monos and "hidden" stuff? I realize I am probably getting too picky at this, but I want to understand things entirely or else they don't ever stop bugging me.
    Companies that put up nutrition labels are estimating their calories. The FDA allows them to do so.

It really should yield the 108.5 kcal, but many times, you might see the companies estimating fats to be 10 calories per gram instead of the usual 9. That throws it a bit off sometimes. And then when they add it all up, they also usually round up or down.

juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I go by the macros and disregard calories on the labels.

Originally Posted by peteyboy1015 View Post
    Companies that put up nutrition labels are estimating their calories. The FDA allows them to do so.

It really should yield the 108.5 kcal, but many times, you might see the companies estimating fats to be 10 calories per gram instead of the usual 9. That throws it a bit off sometimes. And then when they add it all up, they also usually round up or down.
    YES!

Look, with rounded fats and rounded total -> ( 0.5g FAT x 10 )+( 25g CHO x 4 )+( 2g PRO x 4 ) = 113 as they stated in their rounded up, flawed label. Thank you peteyboy! I'm going to actually browse through the FDA guidelines they're so wiggly.

YES!

Look, with rounded fats and rounded total -> ( 0.5g FAT x 10 )+( 25g CHO x 4 )+( 2g PRO x 4 ) = 113 as they stated in their rounded up, flawed label. Thank you peteyboy! I'm going to actually browse through the FDA guidelines they're so wiggly.
    Glad to have helped .

I used to be pretty anal about calories through macros, but it got to be too neurotic because there's a lot of guesstimation companies do. Plus, TheDailyPlate tracks using calories on the nutrition label, so I decided to just follow those calories instead.

Again, consistency is what matters.

Originally Posted by juliacheh View Post
    I go by the macros and disregard calories on the labels.
    Hi Julia! You mentioned that in paul's log, I remember, when you talked about the ways in which you account for the caloric content of dietary fiber. I do it your way now, and, I'll stick to going by the macros as well from now on. It just came a point that half of my fitday stuff is logged by calorie-on-label and then the other half is all macronutrients-added-up so it was driving me crazy and I came up on here to clear my doubts before completely moving onto one method or the other.

I'll have to start fixing my custom foods on fitday now though, as I've decided about my proceedings.

Thank you for answering, I really appreciate it.

bking10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bking10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bking10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bking10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bking10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bking10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bking10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bking10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bking10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bking10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bking10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i see a lot of attempted trickery on high fiber or low carb foods. i think its best to count the macros yourself.

juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No problem, I agree that consistency is what counts.
    For me it's easier just to go by the macros and treat all carbs as equal, regardless of fiber vs. starches.

Originally Posted by bking10 View Post
    i see a lot of attempted trickery on high fiber or low carb foods. i think its best to count the macros yourself.
    Yeah, it sucks. I think it's because FDA tried to obtain a uniform system for companies and manufacturers to label their products based on the needs of the general public and their health concerns instead of finicky, incredibly disciplined and overly-critical individuals concerned with l34n muscl3 m4ass and s1ngl3 digitzzz bodyfat. Maybe, we're just not ordinary enough to settle with rounded up values (sometimes I think there's things I could take a chill pill for instead of letting my mind go asjkfbdkajflsakd with, though. Like, those 4.6 extra kcals on my 30g cereal serving).

TRUTH IS: Since I eat about 36 servings, that would yield a 170kcal discrepancy and my calculated surplus is of 450 kcal so...it did concern me