Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    rowland75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rowland75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rowland75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rowland75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rowland75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rowland75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rowland75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rowland75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rowland75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rowland75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rowland75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Squats 3x per week?

I'm following the SS routine (or fairly close to), but struggling with the frequency of squats.

Starting Strength states an A/B alternate workout with squats on both days, but a lot of posts on here advise squats 1x per week or even less.

I'm doing the SS recommended frequency but my legs constantly feel shot to bits.

What does everyone think, and whats the general consensus on squats?

ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000)
    You will adapt to the frequency of squats.

You should go hard and heavy on one day, the other two are done in a more of a voume concentring fashion, that is, you should not be killing yourself. A rule of thumb is, 20% less weight on the light day and 10% less on the medium day, if you want to squat 3x week that is.

You should always be progressing on your heavy day, if you are not, it means you are going too heavy on the other days.

rowland75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rowland75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rowland75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rowland75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rowland75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rowland75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rowland75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rowland75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rowland75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rowland75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rowland75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you, that sounds less punishing.

I've been trying to go heavy every session and have definitely been feeling it.

ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by rowland75 View Post
    Thank you, that sounds less punishing.

I've been trying to go heavy every session and have definitely been feeling it.
    That's the big mistake. Out of the 3 days, one is heavy, the other are done with lighter weights. Dont think that because you are lifting less weight on the other two days you are not doing enough. On the contrary, those two days allow for getting in a lot of volume while still recovering from the heavy day and simultaneously allowing for increased workload tolerance (i.e you are training like an athlete). After the third training day (day 3 of 3), you take two days off (e.g the weekend if training on a MWF basis) and supercompensation occurs (you get stronger!)

Let me know if you have any other questions. Squatting 3x a week is a great way to get strong and big but it needs careful modulating as opposed to going balls out every workout.

skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ManWithCurls View Post
    That's the big mistake. Out of the 3 days, one is heavy, the other are done with lighter weights. Dont think that because you are lifting less weight on the other two days you are not doing enough. On the contrary, those two days allow for getting in a lot of volume while still recovering from the heavy day and simultaneously allowing for increased workload tolerance (i.e you are training like an athlete). After the third training day (day 3 of 3), you take two days off (e.g the weekend if training on a MWF basis) and supercompensation occurs (you get stronger!)

Let me know if you have any other questions. Squatting 3x a week is a great way to get strong and big but it needs careful modulating as opposed to going balls out every workout.
    Not really sure if I agree.
    SS is 3 days 3 sets 5 reps each, it is prgressive so you start out light (40%) max and work up each week by 5 or 10 lbs. Doing one day heavy would kill the prgression in the weeks to come.
    Each week is the same weight then add the 5 or 10lbs.
    Needless to say form is critical so if you do not do full squats you will hurt ... a lot.
    So not change the routine and expect it to work for you, these routines Starting Strength, Bill Starr's 5x5 (Mad Cow) or Jim Wendle's 5-3-1 all have been proven with years of testing and you changing it will not make it better. Yes you start out light weights we all do but Starting Strength is a "STRENGTH" routine and works on strength not muscle size (not to say you won't get some muscle size ... you will), but it is "designed" for strength.
    Slow and steady progress is the way to go.
    Good Luck!

Ski
    Weight Class: 242lbs

RAW
    Best Lifts - Gym | Meet (5/2010)
    =============================
    Squat.........585 | 625
    Bench.........385 | 380
    Dead..........550 | 570

Equipped
    810/610/570 (11/2011)

Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Skiboy is right. If you are doing SS, then you need to stick to the program. As you become a more advanced/stronger lifter, then you very well may need to adjust things. Right now, however, do SS as written to build up strength base. I wouldn't play with things until you are ready to move to a different program.

As for the general consensus on Squats: "King of Resistance Exercises" sums that up for most.
    "The LORD is my Strength and my Song, and He has become my Salvation! This is my God, and I will praise Him, my Father's God and I will exalt Him!" - Exodus 15:2

My Dry Bones Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135650711

Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm following the SS routine (or fairly close to), but struggling with the frequency of squats.

Starting Strength states an A/B alternate workout with squats on both days, but a lot of posts on here advise squats 1x per week or even less.

I'm doing the SS recommended frequency but my legs constantly feel shot to bits.

Do you know why you are doing Starting Strength?

If you have read the book and followed it's instructions then you'd know the answers to your questions.

Understand too that SS is designed to be done while eating a ton of food every day. If you are not eating enough you'll feel like crap all the time. Food and rest are the recovery plan for SS and forget about cardio.

If you don't have the book buy it. If you don't want to buy it at least use this

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...rting_Strength

Sorry not trying to be a dick.
    Last edited by Nikonguy; 07-01-2011 at 07:20 AM.
    " ----------I`m your Huckleberry......'"

John Adams

Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000)

You should go hard and heavy on one day, the other two are done in a more of a voume concentring fashion, that is, you should not be killing yourself. A rule of thumb is, 20% less weight on the light day and 10% less on the medium day, if you want to squat 3x week that is.

You should always be progressing on your heavy day, if you are not, it means you are going too heavy on the other days.
    That's not how it works at all. That is true if you're doing madcows 5x5. For SS, you're supposed to set PRs on squats 3x a week. Hence why you should keep a very high caloric intake - to allow that to happen. Make sure your rest is top notch too. OP, how much are you squatting? Squatting 3x a week heavy is somewhat manageable up to 3 plates, but past that it starts becoming too hard on your CNS. When you start approaching that kind of weight in squats, I'd suggest doing front squats on Wednesday.
    https://www.instagram.com/brunobastos_93/
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCshN_nywHWNFH836xZ7VjtQ?view_as=subscriber

Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thinking about negging for giving advice not related to the program the OP asked about and for doing it while being 27 in the O-35. No Platinum Membership in your future.

John Adams

Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Nikonguy View Post
    Thinking about negging for giving advice not related to the program the OP asked about and for doing it while being 27 in the O-35. No Platinum Membership in your future.
    And I would rep you for your correction of him, but I've repped you too recently. So just take my Kudos instead! :-)

(BTW, am I the only one who wonders why so many under-35ers come here? I mean, you don't see me in the Teen forum...)
    "The LORD is my Strength and my Song, and He has become my Salvation! This is my God, and I will praise Him, my Father's God and I will exalt Him!" - Exodus 15:2

My Dry Bones Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135650711

socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Follow the program, it's really that easy. That's why it's a program. Do what it says and profit.

Progress not Perfection cowboybiker's Avatar
    cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Swann74 View Post
    And I would rep you for your correction of him, but I've repped you too recently. So just take my Kudos instead! :-)

(BTW, am I the only one who wonders why so many under-35ers come here? I mean, you don't see me in the Teen forum...)
    Despite all the talk about how WE are out of control. many come here for true wisdom.
    Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude. – Thomas Jefferson

Be yourself; Everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

if its a program such as SS, with tons of people who have been thru it, then the programming is built in and if it lists squats 3x per week then its fine.

as far as doing stuff 1x or 2x or 3x per week, you will find opinions varying. Ironically, all of those approaches work because there are other variables. The 1x per week guy is doing a LOT of exercises and sets and more intensity (going to failure etc) whereas the 3x guy isnt doing as many exercises or sets etc

squatting (or benching) 3x per week shouldnt be a problem as long as u r following a program that has everything factored in

on a program like SS just follow it as exactly as u can. There r many threads devoted to it where every imaginable question has been asked and answered.

there is another workout called "Sheiko" and the beginner setup looks like this:

M-squats-bench-

W-deads -bench

F-squats-bench

And its HIGH volume with lots of sets but the weight doesnt get that heavy as far as it being a high% of your max etc. I did that when I was about 38 and made great gains. So dont be afraid to do stuff more than 1x per week.

When doing a bodypart 1x per week i STAY sore. When doing 3x per week im rarely sore, lol
    "Humility comes before honor"

Originally Posted by Swann74 View Post

LOL, I was a little brisk with the lad. I don't mind under-35 folks participating here as long as they give good advice, have a sense of humor and can take a little chit without getting butthurt. As far as I know Keltron is the only one who has managed it.

sorry for thread derail OP.

John Adams

Thanks guys, great advice as usual.

I'm eating well and getting 8 hours sleep. All my lifts are improving except squats due to not recovering enough between sessions.

I'll just have to push through and keep at it.....no pain etc.

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you are doing it "fairly close," you are not doing it.

That is all.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

I've done 3 consecutive programs that have squats 3x per week. You'll get used to it. Keep pushing.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Starting Strength is a beginner program. Beginners can squat 3x per week. In general, the more advanced you are, the more weight you move when you squat, the less often you should squat.

What is your experience level?
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

Registered User HairyScandinavian's Avatar
    HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    When I switched from Starting Strength to Madcow 5x5 I started enjoying 3x/week Squats a lot more due to the progression.

Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by bigtallox View Post
    Starting Strength is a beginner program. Beginners can squat 3x per week. In general, the more advanced you are, the more weight you move when you squat, the less often you should squat.el?
    Olympic lifters, beginner and advanced, often squat 3x/week. Many of their routines involve a squatting, pulling, and pressing element every workout, cycled in terms of 1RM % emphases to prevent burnout.

I know OLY lifting is not bodybuilding, but they do aim specifically to increase their poundages, with often astounding success.

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    Olympic lifters, beginner and advanced, often squat 3x/week. Many of their routines involve a squatting, pulling, and pressing element every workout, cycled in terms of 1RM % emphases to prevent burnout.

I know OLY lifting is not bodybuilding, but they do aim specifically to increase their poundages, with often astounding success.
    Yeah, OK. You're right, I've read that many OLY lifters do squat with high frequency. But I believe there are even less oly lifters here than strongman competitors. In my post I was assuming the OP was average non competitive bodybuilder ( which is probably a good assumption especially since they're asking the question here ).
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yeah, OK. You're right, I've read that many OLY lifters do squat with high frequency. But I believe there are even less oly lifters here than strongman competitors. In my post I was assuming the OP was average non competitive bodybuilder ( which is probably a good assumption especially since they're asking the question here ).
    You're a big man in more ways than one. I think you made a logical assumption too.

Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post
    If you are doing it "fairly close," you are not doing it.

That is all.
    In that I have substituted hang cleans for rows. Hence "fairly close".

Other than that I'm following the AB plan and trying hard to increase the weight.

Other than that I'm following the AB plan and trying hard to increase the weight.
    Hang cleans hit distinctly different areas in distinctly different ways. Not knocking them - they're great - but they're not strictly speaking a substitute like, say, T-bars.

Starting Strength is a beginner program. Beginners can squat 3x per week. In general, the more advanced you are, the more weight you move when you squat, the less often you should squat.

What is your experience level?
    My background is martial arts (25 years), and outdoor stamina sports (cycling, running). I've weight trained sporadically but without any real focus.

I'm in a position now where I can give weight training the dedication required, but I'm definitely a beginner.

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Before you start fiddling with it just stick with it for a while. you wil get used to the 3 x per week no problem. I would say give yourself at least 6 months that until you start monkeying with it.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Hang cleans hit distinctly different areas in distinctly different ways. Not knocking them - they're great - but they're not strictly speaking a substitute like, say, T-bars.
    You substituted hang cleans for rows, but rows aren't part of the normal program either. Starting Strength is Squat, Bench, Power Cleans, Deads, and Press. Somebody here on BB.com wrote to sub rows in but that's not the original program. Maybe it's in the book as an alternate, I dunno I never got too far through the book. Not knocking it, I sub'd rows too when I got up to 190x5 on Power Cleans because that stuff drained the hell out of me. Just sayin...

Originally Posted by HairyScandinavian View Post
    You substituted hang cleans for rows, but rows aren't part of the normal program either. Starting Strength is Squat, Bench, Power Cleans, Deads, and Press. Somebody here on BB.com wrote to sub rows in but that's not the original program. Maybe it's in the book as an alternate, I dunno I never got too far through the book. Not knocking it, I sub'd rows too when I got up to 190x5 on Power Cleans because that stuff drained the hell out of me. Just sayin...
    I wouldn't know. I've never done SS but I'm well aware of the Purist vs Sub controversy; I was merely commenting on HCs vs rows as apples and oranges.

I wouldn't know. I've never done SS but I'm well aware of the Purist vs Sub controversy; I was merely commenting on HCs vs rows as apples and oranges.
    Yeah I quoted yours because I was going to ask you a question, but by the time I finished the first reply I forgot what I was going to ask you. LOL... I think I was going to say that the Hang Cleans might be closer to the original program's Power Cleans than the Rows would be, but I've never done them so not really sure what/how they hit. Obviously they'd be lacking the leg explosiveness.

Originally Posted by HairyScandinavian View Post
    Yeah I quoted yours because I was going to ask you a question, but by the time I finished the first reply I forgot what I was going to ask you. LOL... I think I was going to say that the Hang Cleans might be closer to the original program's Power Cleans than the Rows would be, but I've never done them so not really sure what/how they hit. Obviously they'd be lacking the leg explosiveness.
    The hang cleans would be much closer to power cleans than rows, but the hangs only involve the second pull, not the first.