Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Princess20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Princess20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Princess20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Journal of a Princess

I've been bulking for the past 4 weeks, and I think I've created a good foundation. Before the bulk, I was sick for 2 or 3 weeks and didn't go to the gym at ALL. Before I got sick, I was going to the gym seriously for months, and finally understood the hard workouts / nutrition connection. I eat clean (and love it!), lift weights and do some cardio. I detest gym cardio, so to spice it up I'll attend Bikram with friends and do dance bootcamp once in a while.

My BF, who is like my mirror, was admiring my body today, saying I could stop bulking and start leaning out. I am taking 3 days off from the gym (because I went every day last week), then adding cardio to my regimen. During the bulk, I lifted 4 days per week and did only one 45 min. cardio session once per week. I will now add 20 min. HIIT after I lift, and do 45 min. cardio 2 x per week. I'm very small, so I only need to lose 2 - 3 pounds probably, for the muscle to shine through.

Diet-wise, the only things I'll change is: 1) stick to proper portion sizes 2) give myself even less leeway than before on alcohol and sugary treats. During the bulk, I was more forgiving when tempted with wine and desserts. I will return to strictness in those regards.

Am I looking to compete? No. I would just like to see my abs again.

Princess20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Princess20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Princess20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Maybe bulking

After the last entry, I saw pics of Erin Stern. After admiring her body, and Amanda Latona's, I'm starting to change my mind about starting a cut. I definitely have muscles poking through my bodyfat, but I think if I start cutting now, I will only look lean and toned after the cardio eats away some of the muscles.

I think I need to bulk some more, perhaps one more month. Then I'll look muscular, hopefully. It does bite that I'm bulking during the summer, but I'm eating as clean as I can to keep from ballooning up.

1 month bulk!

I'm definitely going to bulk for one month more. I've gained 2 lbs and 2% BF since starting the bulk. If I eat clean, I should gain 2 more lbs. I'm going to eat clean and lift HEAVY, because end of Aug I have an event I want to look ripped at.

Talking Bulking regimen

Started my new bulking routine at the gym this morning. Speaking of mornings, I honestly LOVE waking up early. If I can get up between 6:30 and 7, I'm happy! Cut to 7 years ago, when waking up at 12 noon was an effort. Sometimes my friends call me old for going to bed at 10, to which I reply, "Would an old woman have muscles like THIS? Would an old woman surf and snowboard?"

So I am following mostly the 12-week bulking routine outlined on BB.com . Today was upper body A. All of the exercises were done with a barbell between 15 and 25 lbs:

1 warm up set, then 3 x:
    Barbell chest press
    barbell bent over row
    sitting military press
    close-grip bench press
    bicep curls

I must be getting efficient, because the whole thing took less than 30 min! I actually added single-hand dumbell rows, because I didn't feel tired at the end.

As a reward, right now I'm sipping a homemade mint chocolate smoothie! MMMMM!!

Red face Sick again?

I must have picked up a cold bug from someone. With the stress of revamping one of the rooms in the house, giving me many a late night, and waking up early to go to the gym, my body seems run down. I'm currently sipping a shake with L-glutamine, to give my immune system a boost, because my throat was a tad sore this morning upon waking up. I've skipped my gym routine today, possibly tomorrow, to get as much sleep as possible. This weekend is my future uncle-in-law's wedding, and I do NOT want to be sick at it.

It was only 5-6 weeks ago that I got that bad flu bug. I must take good care of myself so as to not have that major setback in my bulking again.

Return

I think yesterday really did me good, because I woke up early today and felt great. I went to the gym, did Amanda Latona's butt work out on BB.com . Man, I'm sore when I walk! I also threw in situps. On my last bulk, I felt like my triceps, thighs, upper traps, and calves really developed. But I think my back, butt, and abs need concentrating on.

Work, rest, repeat

Just returned from a camping trip. I was good about packing healthy food for the vacation. Since we have a fridge in our rig, I brought plain yogurt, fruit, water, meat kebabs, etc. I also brought vodka to drink on the rocks for the wedding. But I also indulged in maui ribs, sweet potato fries at the bar, lots of CAKE at the wedding.

I felt really strong on this trip. I was carrying cords of wood and heavy things. My BF was impressed by how my strength has increased.

I'm actually happy to be back in the swing of things and on a schedule. The break was nice, but now I can schedule in my workouts and wake up early, get things done. I have so much to do at home that I won't be working out until 2 days from now.

Upper Body

Had a wicked-ass workout today! I'm wanting to push myself and use heavier weight at the gym. My energy felt low all last week, so I think I wasn't consuming quite enough food.

Chatted with a lovely personal trainer at the gym. She struck up a conversation because she sees me at all my workouts, plus she noticed I was writing down my rep weights. She gave bulking advice, specifically protein intake. I probably haven't been ingesting enough protein. To reach a weight of 104 lbs., I need to consume 31 g of protein at each of my 5 meals. If I can't, an easy way to get that protein is via a shake. She also said post-workout, the shake should have less complex carbs (ie granola) and more simple carbs (ie fruit) in order for the protein to attach itself to the carb, and enter my blood faster as opposed to just being peed out.

Protein myth?

I tried to get 150 g of protein in yesterday. I couldn't. I reached about 80, and only had 1 shake post-workout. Even with a 2nd or 3rd shake, I would have barely hit 140 g.

Which led to a discussion about the 1.5 g protein per pound formula: where did this idea come from? It's been around for so long, it's difficult to pinpoint who said this and how they came up with the theory. It's like the 8 glasses of water per day theory. Turned out to be a myth, traced back to a vague statement in a U.N. health paper.

I'm very small, I don't see a need to hit 150 g of protein. Consuming even half the amount is more than I was previously consuming, and would probably benefit me while bulking. But not anything more. Which highlights something important in the confusing world of bodybuilding: listen to your body.

Progress

Lots to write about! Did Bikram for the first time yesterday morning. I thought 8 a.m. was too early to start, but honestly 7 a.m. would have been better for me. I love finishing a workout and not having too many people on the street. Anyways, Bikram was an amazing test of what I'm capable of. I managed to complete the circuit, only dropping my arms to rest twice. The heat was manageable. Seeing how far my body could go, in the mirror, was a beautiful sight to see!

I ate soooo much wonderful and sinful food last night at a dinner party. I felt it this morning, when I woke up. I felt too full to have a big breakfast, but proper fuel would have really helped my workout. It was upper body today. I wasn't too lagging, but again proper nutrition would have helped me push heavier.

Didn't pack or eat a lot of protein today. Will have to have a protein-heavy, veg-heavy, and fruit-heavy dinner tonight, less on carbs.

Don't Get Sick!

BF's had a cold the last few days. Oh no! So far, I've avoided the bug with hand-washing, sleep, and L-glutamine.

Going to the Nash gym tonight with a friend. I'm trying to get her into a gym routine, and I figured she'd prefer a fancy gym like Nash instead of a basic one like mine. Nash will probably be too expensive for me, but they offer a one-week free trial so why not?

Did a pretty heavy lower-body routine yesterday, at the work gym. Love having that room to myself! I made sure to bring lots of good food, like chicken and sweet potatoes.

I'm enjoying this bulk so far. My shoulders are starting to pop out slightly, which is nice because I moved the focus of the exercises to parts that felt neglected.

I've been Nashed

The salespeople of Steve Nash gyms are quite pushy! They use the one-week web pass to lure people in. There is no using the gym for free for 7 days without paying something. They say it can be cancelled within 10 days, but I was reluctant at first to do that. I had preferred that I try it FIRST, *before* paying anything.

Having said that, I do think I'll switch to the Nash gyms, providing I can get the right price for membership My current gym is very basic, no classes. It's fine for weightlifting, but I detest using machines for cardio and having a class will add much-needed variety to my routine. (If anyone wants a referral for the Burnaby gym, contact me and perhaps I can help you get a discount!)

My upper-body routine last night was a bit of a bust, because I was with my less-active friend and we spent so much time chatting with the sales guy, there was no time for a real workout. It was also quite crowded; luckily I don't normally work out at that time of night.

No weightlifting for the next 4 days. I was going to stay active and walk as much as possible, but strangely I have a bruise on the sole of my foot! So it feels tender when I walk. Guess the next 4 days are flexibility days!
    Last edited by Princess20; 07-19-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Back and ready

Just returned from a short trip out of town, where I indulged in sightseeing, ice cream, dessert, pasta with cheese, and drrrrrrinks! Didn't get a lot of sleep, so too tired for early Bikram. Planning to do it this afternoon before rushing home and putting on dinner.

During vacation, I chatted with the BF about my plans. When I told him I planned to bulk for 6 months total, he looked at my (squishy) bod and said, "Oh jeez. You really shouldn't do that. I don't think your body can handle 6 months of bulking."

He pointed out that I'm not entering a show, so to bulk for a long time and then cut, like what competitors do, is probably not a sane thing for me to do. He and people he knows bulk and cut for shorter periods of time, throughout the year.

I will stick to my plan of bulking until Aug 1, with heavy weights, cardio 1x week, and lots of protein. CLEAN bulk eating.

Fitness and relationships

"How has fitness changed your closest relationships?

For good, bad, or both?"

With my BF, fitness has improved our relationship. It's become one more thing we have in common. He admires my dedication, and is impressed by the changes, which boosts my mood. We encourage each other to reach our fitness goals.

With my friends, they ask questions because they want to improve their fitness. I have turned down a few social events, because they were centered around non-fitness activities (drinking or eating unhealthy food). But I have also met new people by taking classes with them.

Recomp sucks

I tried a recomp this past week, because I was going to start cutting anyways in August and thought I'd get a head start by cutting calories to maintenance and throwing in a tinge of cardio. Well, I barely had energy for heavy lifting. Plus, adding in cardio increased the time I worked out, and I misjudged the time needed to finish on some days. So the sets became 2 instead of 3 sometimes.

My BF is alarmed at the weight gain. I feel ready to cut now, in time for a late August event. I'm not sure if I gained enough muscle in my bulk, but we'll see. The last 2 months have been experimental: how to bulk without adding too much fat by keeping calories at minimum; how strong I get while bulking !! ; what happens when calories change from 200 above maintenance, to maintenance; trying out a new gym.

Speaking of the Nash gym, they are nice and have lots of equipment. But the locations are not convenient for me. Travelling to them will add 2 hours each time I go. So, funny enough, I'm becoming a member of *3* gyms: work, my current gym, and Nash for cardio classes only. I know, crazy! But I can only stand doing boring gym machine cardio once per week. The other 2 times, it'll have to be classes. And paying the lowest monthly rate at Nash is cheaper than paying for classes at varioius venues around the city.

Cutting plan 1

* Continue recomp; cardio 1x week only; warm-ups 10 min.

* Starting AUG. 9, cut
    Calories at maintenance; EAT CLEAN! Carbs around workouts.
    Week 1: add 20 min. HIIT after lifting
    Week 2 and 3: cardio 2 x week

(keep lifting heavy; volume will be smaller, don't worry)
    Last edited by Princess20; 07-30-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Starting Cardio

Was feeling energetic this morning and yesterday, so I did 30 min. cardio before work each day. So nice to start the day with it! In the past, I would try to lift first thing, but it's too hard. Cardio's the way to go. That's it for this week, cardio won't be until next Sunday onwards and it will be HIIT and one 1-hr session. Thank goodness I joined the Nash gym for its classes. It was pretty boring using the machines only.

It's taking longer now for me to do the gym and then get ready for work. Not only do I work out longer, it takes a long time for my bod to cool down. So if there isn't enough time taken, I start my shift feeling sweaty. Ew. I thought 15-min. was enough time to get ready. Turns out I need more like 25.

Excited to Cut!

Don't know why, but since yesterday afternoon I've been excited to start cutting! It happened while I was at the beach. I was indulging in a bit of rum, and a whole bag of chips to myself. Plus a hot dog.
    I am excited about the discipline in watching what I eat, while fitting in my workouts. I'm hosting a BBQ this weekend. For most people cutting, it brings about nervousness concerning diet. I'm not as concerned because it's my house, and I know everyone so I won't feel socially awkward and feel like I need to have a drink. --> I will NOT have a drink UNLESS it's to toast the birthday boys. And only then, I will ONLY have one shot. I will put out plenty of veggies and hummus to munch on. NO chips. NO dessert.

Bbq

Okay, so I had dessert - a brownie square and a tiny piece of cheesecake. BUT I bought healthy turkey burgers, whole wheat buns, and someone brought salmon burgers. I did not have an ounce of booze! I felt very satisfied, and even packed healthy lunches for the next day.

5 Day Break

I hate going off-schedule. I suppose I seem a bit anal-retentive in that way, but I know what works for me. Having a routine gives me focus. Due to an increased workload, I have not gone to the gym to lift weights for FIVE DAYS. Yesterday, I was extremely tired and took a nap mid-day, but as soon as I woke up I chugged down a protein shake and went for a 45-min. jog. I'm impressed that my cardiovascular has improved, to the point that I was taking very limited breaks in jogging until near the end.

Still eating clean... went to lunch with coworkers, I pointed out that everyone had ordered alcohol except me. My friend joked, "Get with the program!" to which I replied, "I am on a program... The Clean Eating program!" (Cue canned laughter) Because of all-day meetings, I packed healthy mini-meals to get through the day until meal breaks. It really helped curb cravings! I was tempted to get things like baked goods with my coffee, or grab chocolate, but instead I would reach into my insulated bag and have sweet things like cherries and peaches instead. My only indulgence: parsley truffle-infused fries. SO WORTH IT.

So today, I will do a lower-body workout with 20 min. HIIT during my dinner break. It's night shift, so it's less busy hence the extra gym time.

Back in the Routine

Yay, I'm back in the program! My workout was cut EXTREMELY short yesterday, due to a reporter being available early. But I feel like I'm in the fitness headspace again.

I worry about it in terms of my relationship, though. My BF pointed out this morning, while trying to cuddle me, "You're always busy, always busy." I felt that was unfair, because I do put time aside to snuggle (45 min. this morning, in fact) and throughout the week, too. He gets more time with me than my friends do. We just have opposite scheds, that's the prob. It strains me to see our relationship becoming distant.

Anyways.... back to food. I am going to push myself to put aside a night per week to bulk cook chicken, rice, sweet potatoes, portion veggies, etc. It would be so handy for me to be able to reach into the freezer, pull out containers, and head out.

I also notice I'm not drinking the almond milk as much as I should. Gotta add a glass during the day and at night, methinks.

Lunchtime workouts

Lately my workouts have been cut short due to HIT cardio needing to be added. When I was bulking there was no cardio, so I was easily done within 45 min. - 1 hr. Add 20 min. HIT cardio and suddenly you're rushing, only finishing two sets per exercise.

I'm going to try drop sets. I like the program I'm currently on, but it takes too long when I super-set. I predict dropsetting will be much faster.

Talking Finally made it!

Woke up early and squeezed in a 50 min. workout. Since I'm cutting, I realized I had to make the 20 min. HIT cardio priority. So I fit in what weightlifting I could. I did my usual routine, but dropsets, and it worked! I felt a great burn. I had 7 min. left before HIT, so I threw in more ab work. I feel great that I finished my workout and have the rest of the day!

Sick again?

Sore throat again... didn't do cardio session today because was afraid would make throat worse. Boo.

When the Going gets Tough

The topic question on one of my fave sites was, "When there's adversity in your life, how do you meet your fitness goals?" For me, the answer is that my gym sessions are the first to go. =0 I know, I know.

I got sick recently with a cold, and I skipped the gym. Now I've got a trip coming up, and I've dropped the gym because I felt my time was better spent getting ready for vacay.

What doesn't go, is the way I eat. I believe in being healthy 24/7. I have become used to not drinking alcohol every night, not consuming pop and sweets, and choosing healthy choices automatically: brown bread, lower starches when cutting, grilled protein, etc. I definitely believe in the adage, "Abs are made in the kitchen."

Cutting FAIL

I don't have the results I was wanting at the end of my 4-week cut. I'm soft in the tummy area. I missed a lot of gym sessions due to long work meetings, and then I got a cold.

I know my diet wasn't spot-on. I discovered truffle fries while in meetings. I ate whatever white pasta was served at dinner, instead of having brown pasta or sweet potatoes ready.

So, what's next?

1) I will learn to schedule my time and commit to X weightlifting and Y cardio sessions every week. I am so inspired by women who manage a household, with kids, and a full-time career. They get to the gym by waking up SUPER early. I'm only needed 5:30 or 6 a.m. Surely I can do it!

2) I will bulk through the Fall, and cut for mid-December. I'm not sure when to start the cut. If I can be commited this time, 4 weeks should be enough (mid-November). The cut / maintenance will continue through to end of January.

Fall Bulk

Originally Posted by Princess20 View Post
    So, what's next?

1) I will learn to schedule my time and commit to X weightlifting and Y cardio sessions every week. I am so inspired by women who manage a household, with kids, and a full-time career. They get to the gym by waking up SUPER early. I'm only needed 5:30 or 6 a.m. Surely I can do it!

2) I will bulk through the Fall, and cut for mid-December. I'm not sure when to start the cut. If I can be commited this time, 4 weeks should be enough (mid-November). The cut / maintenance will continue through to end of January.
    1) I'm waking up early and hitting the gym at work, or the ones near my house, on weekdays only. I'm taking weekends off for sleeping in.

Short & Long Goals

Thought I'd answer another FBW question: What are your short and Long term goals?

Short-term (next 3 months)

Add 3 - 5 lbs muscle

Hit gym each weekday (cardio/abs Friday)

Eat clean, with new flavours

Long-term

Do a clean cut starting mid - Nov.

18% bodyfat

First Day of Bulk!

I'm excited that today, the first day of my new weekdays regimen, was great! It took me a long time to get ready and whip up my breakfast ,but I made it to the gym in time. My workout was VERY intense. Some of the exercises were new ones I'd never done before. My muscles were shaking by the time I was 3/4 through the sets.

I know that as Fall and winter approach, it will feel harder to get up early. The sun will not have risen yet; it'll be dark and cold. My tips to get out of bed and enjoy it are:

- put alarm far away from bed, so you're forced to get up and walk over to turn it off
    - have warm clothes ready to throw on, so you don't feel miserably cold
    - have a hot shower to warm up
    - try to prep your outfits and meals the night before
    - have a coffee!

I'm feeling excited and positive about continuing this regimen going forward!

Loving Bulking

Loving Lindsay Kaye's bulking program so far. A lot of the exercises are ones I did not do during the last bulk, so I feel sore, which is so nice! I've been waking up early and hitting the gym early. Last night I had a couple too many alcohol shots at a fete for an old friend who had flown in. The "When in Rome" mentality, you know? I had a great time, and of course felt low energy this morning but ate a good breakfast and managed to put in a pretty good leg workout.

Finally had a chance to look in Reflex.... which isn't called that anymore. Looks like another company took over, called Kore, although the original owner's still in charge. The cashier was very nice, answered my questions about upcoming competition shows. Saw some Legare wear, there were really nice tight shorts that I'm coveting.