Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Princess20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Princess20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Princess20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Planning to Compete

(Just roadmapping my choices until I decide. If I need to compete in Spring 2012, there's bikini in BCABBA or WBFF.)

Princess20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Princess20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Princess20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Deciding to Compete

When i started taking bodybuilding seriously, it was fine to do it "just to look good nekkid". As I applied my knowledge, it felt satisfying to see the results in my muscles, and my ability to wear smaller clothes that had been thrown in the back of the closet.

But lately an itch to do something greater has developed. I have decided to compete! I will be seeing some professionals, have my body type and flexibility assessed, to figure out which category to compete in and, in turn, the date of the contest I choose. My choices are Bikini, Figure, or Fitness. For Bikini, I could be competing as early as next Spring. But for Figure and Fitness, I'll need at least one year of commitment.

I'm so excited to take my passion to the next level! I admit I'm a tad nervous about the cutting stage, as I am a foodie and hope I can handle the strict diet for months at a time. I will also track my expenses as I go, so that people can see how much one typically spends to compete:

Comp expense: coffee consult $2

I'M SO FRIGGIN' EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IBFF September 2012

Push in the Gym

It's amazing how much more I push myself in the gym these days. I think about my upcoming competition,and it gives me more willpower, strength, and dedication. Last night I was at a party, and I didn't drink alcohol. This morning, it was dark and cold, and I wanted to stay in bed, but I thought about how I have to give it 100% all the way up to competition. So out of bed I sprang, and happily made the trip to the gym before work. At the gym, I really concentrated on my back muscles contracting to lift the weight. I finished the entire set, plus any exercises yesterday that I'd missed, AND i had time to practise my handstands! I'm really happy with my accomplishments today.

Now I just need a massage.

Consulting a Competitor

I consulted with a local competitor, who's been competing in Fitness for a while. She analyzed my body and said I need a year of conditioning. Almost every muscle needs work, except for my hamstrings and bottom of my glutes. Plus I need to drop my bodyfat, and gain 5 lbs of muscle. Yikes, I thought my body was in good condition!

I *could* compete in Bikini in May, in BCABBA, but it would be a really hard push, because my BF is so high (22%). She felt that for my personality type, one that likes to take things slow and easy, Fall 2012 would be best. At that point, I could compete in either Bikini, Figure, or Fitness, depending on which category I choose.

I have a lot of thinking to do.
    Last edited by Princess20; 09-21-2011 at 04:59 PM.

Closer to Decision

Been thinking a lot, plus consulting the forum, to help me decide on when to compete. The when will establish what category(ies) as well. So far, what makes sense is to compete in the Fall. It gives time to play, see what's working with my body and what's not, etc. I think if I compete for the 1st time in the Spring in bikini, the prob is that I don't know what methods work for my body. There would be absolutely no time to play. The schedule doesn't intimidate me (3 hrs x day, 6 days x week), it's the worry over what will work and won't, and the lack of flexibility in the plan.

If it's going to be Fall, I might as well go for it and do Fitness. Competing in bikini this Spring was just to quell my impatience. I'm itching to compete! What will really solidify my decision is when I go see the PT at one of my gyms. He claims to have trained competitors before. I want him to look at my bod and tell me if Spring will be reasonable.

I feel my mind is starting to get made up already. Pursuing Fitness would be so fun! And, having the whole year will be easier in terms of playing around with training and diet, seeing what works. It will be an experimental year.

Fitness 2012

I am competing in Fitness in Fall 2012. I may do INBF Canada Vancouver Cup Pro Qualifier in Sept 2012. For BCABBAs, there are 3 other possible dates:

June 9th, 2012: Northern Classic, Fort St John
    November 10th, 2012: Sandra Wickham Fall Classic, New Westminster
    June 30th, BC Provincials 2012, New Westminster

July 16 (?) 2012 KORE BC Championships (L)

I decided on this because if I try to rush to do BCABBA in May, afterwards there are only 3 months to compete in Fitness.

Ultimately, I want to concentrate the entire year on achieving my Fitness goals. The biggest thing will be working on flexibility and gymnastics. I'm a bit nervous because the last time I was really flexible, I was a teenager. I know it's there, but I'm going to have to add it to my regimen. It will be a lot of fun to learn handstand moves, flips, and achieve pikes!

It's important for me to have one focus. I realized that it would take a while for me to get the gymnastic moves down, and I work best on concentrating on one thing at a time.

Besides, if I am unable to get the gymnastics down, then I can switch to Bikini or Figure. I had played with the thought of doing TWO 2012 shows, but since this is my first time, it's best if I concentrate on the one show. After I have the experience under my belt, then I can start doing two shows per year if I want. If I do Bikini in May, it would only be so that I can say, "I at least tried a competition." But that is not my ultimate goal. What I really want is to do something fun, and try something new. Thining about competing in Fitness makes me smile and feel nervous at the same time. It's exciting!
    Last edited by Princess20; 09-25-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Early Morning Wakeup

Got woken up a little too early this morning - by hunger. As I greedily downed a cup of almond milk at 3:45 a.m., I remembered previous posts by bodybuilders, posting their meals of the day and the times; how I'd often see ungodly hours for snacks being consumed: 2 a.m., 3 a.m. . I thought they went to bed late. Some probably did, but after this morning's experience, I believe they just didn't eat enough the night before. I do recall having only one slice of pizza, at 7 p.m. Not enough food, obviously.

Have a Good Day

As bodybuilders, we write a lot about the importance of enough sleep, enough protein, enough reps. I have another requirement in my plan: enough good times. When things go awry in my personal life, it affects my sleep, then I miss the gym, and my muscles do not recover. I am still sore from my arm workout two days ago, for example.

This realization encourages me to solve personal probs quickly, and to live as stress-free as possible at home. I wonder how my workout will be tonight. Luckily, I've booked a massage this week, to help my body heal.

Sore Body, Inspired Mind

Well, my home life is smoothed over and wonderful, but I haven't gotten enough sleep. I roused myself early this morning to fit in a 1.5 hr workout before my shift started. Got called in last minute, decided to be a trooper and take the shift. My resulting workout was crap. I simply wasn't strong enough, it seemed.

Ever since deciding to compete, it's difficult for me to sleep in and miss my gym time. The idea that going contributes to giving it 100% effort, makes me jump out of bed (or in the case of this morning, to ROLL out). It's funny, I push aside my daily chores so that I can focus and read about competing. I feel obsessed! I try to restore balance by turning off the computer, and my phone. It does work; the people close to me appreciate the effort. There's no better gift to give, than the gift of your time.

So Sore!

Worked biceps yesterday. I really pushed them! My arms hurt so much today, I wince whenever I take off my jacket. This morning was easy cardio, an easy walk through the neighborhood. Tonight will be abs, since I ran out of time this morning. Then, the house. I know, I'm being a nerd on a Saturday night and not going out. I'm glad I have no plans, because I have SO MUCH to take care of at home. The computer will be OFF; no reading about competing! My reward will be a clear head and goals met.

Not Coming Out

People wondered at the club last night why I hadn't come out. I had someone on my behalf pipe up, "Because she's training, and going out late and drinking means she can't go to the gym the next day." They were all very understanding! When people try to push drinking, partying late, or eating unhealthy upon you, it seems all you have to say is that you're training, and it quiets them down right away.

I imagine I'll be skipping a lot of things this coming year. It will be nice to make more friends, that understand and don't want to party late and ruin the results of the week's workouts.

Feelin' Good

My workouts are really showing in my arms. My biceps and tris are popping out. I've added extra abs, back, and shoulder workouts, to try to get them to grow.

My shoulder workout was EXCELLENT this morning. I arrived at my gym early enough to complete all sets, plus do extra ab, handstand, and backbend exercises. My energy's been high all morning. I think my mini-coffee this morning did the trick.

It's funny how the sunrise is later these days. I have to turn on ALL OF THE LIGHTS, and wrap up in clothing when I wake up, so that I don't feel miserable in bed. Hello, heating bill!

Oh. My. Gosh.

I can't believe what I got myself into! I'm exaggerating, of course, I'm still loving my journey. It's just that my program started a couple days ago with my Fitness trainer, and the amount of exercises and strictness in diet equals me sitting here thinking, "Holy cow."

For the next three months, I have a more intense weightlifting regime. Until now I was doing 3 x 10 for my reps. They're now 4 x 10 or more, and the program is based on building the 'X' shape in my body for competition. Plus my cardio is now PLYOMETRICS (Oh man!)! I also have gymnastics skills to work on, and stretching sessions. My gym sessions are officially minimum 1 hr 40.Perhaps as I get used to the routines I'll be able to get in and out of the gym faster.

The biggest change is my prescribed DIET. Up 'til now I was eating a truly bulking diet, eating whatever felt like clean eating to me. I get my diet plan, and the first thing I notice is how *limited* it looks: no fruit or sugar on my oatmeal; protein powder with water only; rice cakes with only 1 tsp of nut butter on them. (Do you readers know how small 1 tsp is on a rice cake? I can't even spread it all the way to the edges!)

Well, as much as it seems I'm whining, I never shy away from a challenge. I think I can do this. I've done mostly well so far. I ate as much oatmeal as I could this morning sans sugar, and then when there was 3 tbsps left I said, screw it, and added a teaspoon of brown sugar. I was actually impressed I could eat that much plain oatmeal before succumbing. The portions are also good, too. I just don't realize it at first because I'm so used to eating much more food. Now, if I wait a few minutes, I do feel satisfied eventually.

The decreased diet is affecting my energy. I fell asleep today and yesterday, in the mid-afternoon. Perhaps later on I'll become used to the energy available and manage to keep awake. I'm looking forward to tomorrow morning, as it's a new routine for my core and arms!

Latest comp expense: coffee consult $2 / trainer $450 / drop-in $10 / Calcium & Vit D $13
    Last edited by Princess20; 10-07-2011 at 01:36 PM.

Cheat Day!

Started my cheat day last night. I couldn't believe my trainer had given me a whole day to cheat, I had to clarify that she actually meant day, not cheat "meal". This weekend has a couple of events, so I've decided to spread this day over two evenings. Last night was the first; met some friends at a Lebanese restaurant. I threw my cares out the window and indulged in one mojito, a couple scoops of hummus and baba ganoush, and one lamb kafka. Not too bad caloie -wise, as I ran out of time and had to get to a concert. Otherwise I definitely would have eaten half the table!

Got to the club, had one shot of vodka and a spritz of cranberry juice. Only because I was bored out of my mind waiting for more people to show up.

Tonight is a get-together at a friend's place. It's BYOWine, but I'm eating dinner at my house before going to the party, so I'll only drink water.

The rest of my cheat day will be at Thanksgiving dinner. My BF's sis is cooking up a storm, and I will NOT care about my diet! I have been sticking to my meal plan excellently so far, measuring portions, eating exactly what is detailed in the plan. I've ended up buying foods I normally would never have. Which leads me to more expenses:

Comp expense: Mrs. Dash (because I have to try to stay away from salt) $9

Body Changes

I've noticed many changes thus far since starting the new program: my belly has reduced considerably; my energy is down, because I'm eating less food; my wrists are smaller and "bonier"; I think about my next meal A LOT.

A Day Off

Today was a day of rest. I bought groceries, had a leisurely breakfast, got massage, cleaned up my kitchen and closet, and now I'm journaling. Tonight, probably rest some more!

I'm becoming used to the quantity of food, and timing of meals, in my food plan. I've also bought new spices to liven up my food, and I'm trying new things like flavoured tuna and prawns. I went out for lunch today; my eating companion knew I was on a special diet and worried I wouldn't find anything to eat. However, the salad I ordered with some cajun prawns on top, was perfect! They put the dressing on the side, so I could control my quantity.

Last weekend, I had my cheat meals. I made sure the dinner coincided with Thanksgiving! Oh my gosh, that was the best meal ever. I'm already seeing the psychological benefit of cheat meals: to stop from going crazy, and to make one appreciate the goodness of eating clean. I enjoyed the Thanksgiving meal, but I felt -- heavy the next morning. And I was glad to go back on the plan that the week before, was making me go nuts!

I've just finished baking a batch of turkey meatballs. I'm off to enjoy a meatball sandwich with the whole wheat naan I purchased at the store.

Inspired

Off to the gym soon. Just waiting for my workout partner to be ready. No set sched today, so no use rushing him. But normally I would have been working out an hour ago. Oh well; it's nice having someone along, so no stress.

Woke up early this morn to see inspirational videos of Tanji Johnson, Oksana Grishina, Linda Cusmano.... I wonder if my routines can be as strong as theirs? I want mine to flow. I've already thought of a couple songs to mix, plus I have a theme in mind. It will be different from the majority I've seen (I think).

I'm also feeling encouraged because last night I was showing someone how I practice my pike hold, and I actually managed to lift both feet off the ground for about .5 - 1 seconds! I'm so happy with my progress!

Feeling Beat

Man, I did quite the workout today. I really pushed myself, yet fought to maintain form throughout. I'm very proud of myself. I could have ended early, and I kept looking at the clock, but I completed each and every item on my list.

I'm becoming more confident in my handstands (with pike ball assist and wall) and cartwheels. I feel positive that soon I will be able to freely do handstands anywhere!

Feeling Beat pt. 2

Pushed myself in the gym again today. Wanted to complete each and every rep in good form, and I did! I'm very proud I stuck with it. I almost ended the workout early, I was that beat, but no, I finished!

It's only 6 p.m. and I feel exhausted. I had 2 coffees today, and my tiredness is either because last night's dinner was a total cheat (dessert and wine and white rice, oh my!), or because my limited diet does not match my output in my intense workouts. We'll see how well I feel after my next two workouts.

Oh, and new expense:

Comp expense: $5.99 moroccon spices
    Last edited by Princess20; 10-15-2011 at 07:39 PM.

Morning After Cheating

Was strongest I've ever been in the gym today, since starting my program with my trainer. Must have been the cheat day yesterday, plus lots of sleep last night. My trainer approved of me splitting my cheat day so that I could have a cheat meal here and a cheat meal there. That's great! Now I can accomodate social events without freaking out about what to eat.

Exercise makes me Sick

Got a sore throat again yesterday. I've taken off two days from the gym so far. Looking back over my journal, it seems almost every month I've gotten a cold. It makes sense, because I'm thrashing my muscles 5 days per week. So I'm already an open portal for bugs. I do wash my hands a lot, but I'm out and about often so that's how I'm picking up germs. My immune system needs boosting, big time. Thing is, do I do L-glutamine, or Vitamin C? Or Echinacea?

After reading the forums and consulting a friend, looks like the winners are Vitamin C, L-glutamine, and SLEEP. Done and done.

Now, to answer the following:

WHAT IS YOUR FITNESS LACKING??

What part of your fitness regime needs some help—

Not stretching enough?

Need to do some SERIOUS new goal planning?

Stuck in a rut and can’t find your way out?

To be honest, I'm having trouble taking in my supplements. I hate that every night, I have to take 4 pills. Based on my new plan to fight colds, I'll be adding 2 more!

So I'll simply move the new additions to new times. I'll take the Vitamin Cs and L-glutamine during my workout shake time. Done and done.
    Last edited by Princess20; 10-20-2011 at 09:54 PM.

Staying Healthy tastes bleh

Today was my first day adding L-glutamine to my shake. Can you say gross aftertaste? The brand is Bio X, which I love, but it makes their Dyna Whey shake taste... not so great.

Today was also my first day back after four days of being sick. I was very weak, and one of my shoulders developed a bit of a twinge during skills practice. But, I did the best I could and kept my form throughout the sets. Tomorrow is plyo, which I'm not looking forward to but I'm sure my strength will be even better. Especially after a double shot coffee!

The mind is everything. SugarDoll's Avatar
    SugarDoll is just really nice. (+1000) SugarDoll is just really nice. (+1000) SugarDoll is just really nice. (+1000) SugarDoll is just really nice. (+1000) SugarDoll is just really nice. (+1000) SugarDoll is just really nice. (+1000) SugarDoll is just really nice. (+1000) SugarDoll is just really nice. (+1000) SugarDoll is just really nice. (+1000) SugarDoll is just really nice. (+1000) SugarDoll is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Princess20 View Post
    Today was my first day adding L-glutamine to my shake. Can you say gross aftertaste? The brand is Bio X, which I love, but it makes their Dyna Whey shake taste... not so great.

Today was also my first day back after four days of being sick. I was very weak, and one of my shoulders developed a bit of a twinge during skills practice. But, I did the best I could and kept my form throughout the sets. Tomorrow is plyo, which I'm not looking forward to but I'm sure my strength will be even better. Especially after a double shot coffee!

That's good that you feel better. The Glutamine will boost your immune system. I take Micronized Glutamine from Dymatize ( tasteless) it’s perfect because I add it to my Myofusion Chocolate Shakes and I can’t taste it at all.

Good luck with your workout tomorrow!
    "Winning isn't everything, it's the ONLY thing."- Vince Lombardi

Journal:
    ––––•(-•*Living The Sugar Dream:::Live to Win*•-)•––––
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139117763

Originally Posted by SugarDoll View Post
    That's good that you feel better. The Glutamine will boost your immune system. I take Micronized Glutamine from Dymatize ( tasteless) it’s perfect because I add it to my Myofusion Chocolate Shakes and I can’t taste it at all.
    Oh cool, my current brand is running low and I need to buy some anyways. I guess I'll go to Reflex or GNC and check out Dymatize's brand.

Well, *almost* finished that last plyo session. I was with my BF and he always finishes before me, so I didn't want to keep him waiting. I compromised and left the last sets undone. I never like not finishing a workout, but I know it's important to compromise once in a while.

The next day was a glute workout (Amanda Latona's) and skills work. My handstands are becoming more confident. I still need support, but I'm starting to get the feel of balancing solely on my hands. I'm extremely close to doing split-leg pike holds! For someone with no solid gymnastics background, this is a huge step forward!

Good Effort

Got a nice amount of sleep last night, made it to the gym. Started before BF so that I wouldn't feel rushed to complete my workout. My pike stretch is improving - I can almost lay my entire upper body onto my thighs.

For bfast, had a bowl of oatmeal, no sugar, just cinnamon. I can't believe I was able to finish it without adding sweetness - guess I'm getting used to it. Snack was protein powder & L-glut in water. Lunch was a small tin of tuna, on top of 2 cups greens, with some walnuts sprinkled on top.

No Gym Today

Had trouble falling asleep last night, so decided to reset my alarm for this morning for 1 hr later. Really needed the sleep. Skipped the gym, as it would not have been a full workout. Will be attending a dance class tonight, to learn some moves for my routine.

Ate very healthy yesterday, despite being tempted by chips in the pantry. Skipped them and ate a few walnuts instead.

Gym Goes First

When life throws me scheduling curveballs, my gym sessions are the first to go. I try to prevent it as much as possible, and I'm just as likely to throw out social events. My biggest criteria for my sessions is that I have enough time to complete the exercises. This morning, for example, I was having trouble waking up and getting out the door. I decided to get ready for work in a more relaxed way, so I skipped today's workout. I won't be able to do it tonight either, as there are important house tasks I must complete. I am off work for the next three days, so I'll be working out.

Last night's jazz class was great! Various moves were broken down step by step, so I understood better how to do single turns. The teacher was fantastic. I think I'll be dropping in again in the future.

Comp expense: jazz class $18

Skills Improving

I'm getting better at things like pike holds, and gaining confidence in my handstands and cartwheels. My muscles are popping out in ways I've never seen before. I have lost at least 4 pounds since starting my regimen with my trainer. At first I was too weak to even finish the workouts. Now I feel my inner strength.

For this morning's workout, the only reason I cut down some of the set reps from 4 to 3 was lack of time. I ran out the door about 15 minutes late. But, my workout was solid, and I kept form. I was exhausted when I was done! Breathing hard, an indicator that my workout was awesome.

Turning Point

What was your turning point that led you to fitness?

I picked up an old Oxygen magazine at a thrift store. Throughout the mag were articles expounding Clean Eating. I was already going to the gym about 2 times per week, and jogging a bit. But reading about this diet theory changed my body. Seeing the bodies of the models also moved me to take bodybuilding more seriously.