Come at me, bro! foodandfitness's Avatar
    foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Ask a new dietitian anything...

It's been a long journey, but after all the school and internship I got the RD! I opened up a private practice in January and do nutrition counseling and some personal training.

If anyone is taking the RD route or thinking about it, I'd love to be a resource.

Here's my impressions so far:
    1. Schooling was fun but the 6 month nonpaid internship sucked
    2. 95% of dietitians are women. (both a curse and blessing)
    3. Don't expect to make big $$ working for someone else
    4. School builds a good base but you really don't know @#$% about weight loss or anything until after school.
    5. Being part of the ADA and SCAN is one of the best resources and opportunities I've yet to have.

So if anyone is curious, ask away!

Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500)
    whats your dream future/career?

foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Labello View Post
    whats your dream future/career?
    Right now I'm trying to fill up my schedule just doing my nutrition counseling and personal training. I'd like to continue doing that and eventually get into teaching/motivational speaking. I'm in Toastmaster's to work on the public speaking.

I'm a big fan of 4 Hour Workweek. Ideally I'd like to have more free time to pursue other hobbies.

WallStreetZaff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WallStreetZaff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WallStreetZaff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WallStreetZaff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WallStreetZaff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WallStreetZaff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WallStreetZaff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WallStreetZaff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WallStreetZaff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

?

I'm currently an exercise science major. I love nutrition and working out and the whole 9 yards. Would I have to change majors to pursue a career in that, or could I somehow make it work via exercise science?

Originally Posted by WallStreetZaff View Post
    I'm currently an exercise science major. I love nutrition and working out and the whole 9 yards. Would I have to change majors to pursue a career in that, or could I somehow make it work via exercise science?
    You don't have to change degrees to teach people nutrition along with the exercise. Just realize when you are outside of your scope of practice and refer out. Not every client needs to see a RD to learn how eat less and move more.

As a RD and personal trainer, I know that my expertise lies in nutrition but I know a fair amount about exercise. The opposite is often true for ESS majors. I recommend clients to other trainers when I need to and they recommend me back. I really look for exercise scientists that have a good background in nutrition because those are the people I like to collaborate and share with.

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by foodandfitness View Post
    It's been a long journey, but after all the school and internship I got the RD! I opened up a private practice in January and do nutrition counseling and some personal training.
    Congratulations.

I'm a big fan of 4 Hour Workweek.
    I'm so sorry.

Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    Congratulations.

I'm so sorry.
    Thanks! Haha, sorry you didn't like the book. I took some good things from it and left the rest for the buzzards. I've also read Guerrilla Marketing (great read) and How to Win Friends and Influence People (a classic) which are 2 books I'd recommend to anyone starting a business.

WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I've also read Guerrilla Marketing (great read) and How to Win Friends and Influence People (a classic) which are 2 books I'd recommend to anyone starting a business.
    I've started and sold a number of businesses, and I disagree strongly with your recommendations, especially in regard to Guerrilla Marketing.

moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    was it hard to get an internship?
    i hear it's competitive.

I've started and sold a number of businesses, and I disagree strongly with your recommendations, especially in regard to Guerrilla Marketing.
    Touche' but if that's how it is, do you suggest an alternative starting point for someone with no formal business education? I'm guessing you've read those books?

VitaminVendetta is just really nice. (+1000) VitaminVendetta is just really nice. (+1000) VitaminVendetta is just really nice. (+1000) VitaminVendetta is just really nice. (+1000) VitaminVendetta is just really nice. (+1000) VitaminVendetta is just really nice. (+1000) VitaminVendetta is just really nice. (+1000) VitaminVendetta is just really nice. (+1000) VitaminVendetta is just really nice. (+1000) VitaminVendetta is just really nice. (+1000) VitaminVendetta is just really nice. (+1000)
    Congrats.

I have a bunch of questions.

1) what is your opinion on saturated fats?
    2) what is your opinion on linoleic acid?
    3) what is your opinion on red meat consumption in relationship with diseases?
    4) what is your opinion on multivitamins when consuming a healthy, varied diet?
    5) what is your opinion on insulin spiks? What level should I reach?
    6) what is your opinion on carbohydrates post workout? Low/high GI? Do I need them?
    7) what is your opinion on coffee consumption? Healthy or not?
    8) what is your opinion on CLA for fat loss?
    9) what is your opinion on catechines for weight loss?
    10) what is your opinion on high dosed folic acid?

I have many, many more questions, but I'll let you answer these first.

Originally Posted by moneyrich View Post
    was it hard to get an internship?
    i hear it's competitive.
    Its hard if your resume has nothing good on it. It's very competitive, but if you stay dedicated and do things to make you stand out, you should be fine.

Touche' but if that's how it is, do you suggest an alternative starting point for someone with no formal business education? I'm guessing you've read those books?
    I stared my first company in college. I just found a need and filled it. It's not that hard.

In my opinion, most books on business are like books on sex. If you need to read a book on the subject, you probably don't have natural talent.

Originally Posted by VitaminVendetta View Post
    Congrats.

Now this has potential. Where's the popcorn?

soupermayn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soupermayn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soupermayn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soupermayn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soupermayn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soupermayn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soupermayn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soupermayn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soupermayn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soupermayn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soupermayn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Can i get lean while still enjoying my favourite foods like pizza, ben and jerry's and jelly?
    [If It Fits Your Macros Crew] - U mad?

moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Its hard if your resume has nothing good on it. It's very competitive, but if you stay dedicated and do things to make you stand out, you should be fine.
    did you have to put in a lot of volunteer time during school to make your resume better?
    do you dislike people that call themselves a nutritionist?

That's not the purpose of this thread. I'm answering questions pertaining to the occupation.

But whatever..

1. They taste good. Eat them.
    2. Essential
    3. Red meat is fine. Its good to eat other meats too.
    4. Multivitamins are not necessary for people that consume adequate amounts of micronutrients with enough calories
    5. No opinion on insulin spikes. Pancreas takes care of insulin.
    6. CHO post workout is great for endurance athletes
    7. Coffee is the nectar of the Gods. Being productive leads to good health IMO
    8 and 9. Calorie balance > supplements for fat loss
    10. I don't recommend high doses of folate

Congrats.

1) what is your opinion on saturated fats?
    2) what is your opinion on linoleic acid?
    3) what is your opinion on red meat consumption in relationship with diseases?
    4) what is your opinion on multivitamins when consuming a healthy, varied diet?
    5) what is your opinion on insulin spiks? What level should I reach?
    6) what is your opinion on carbohydrates post workout? Low/high GI? Do I need them?
    7) what is your opinion on coffee consumption? Healthy or not?
    8) what is your opinion on CLA for fat loss?
    9) what is your opinion on catechines for weight loss?
    10) what is your opinion on high dosed folic acid?

I have many, many more questions, but I'll let you answer these first.

SUPERM4N is just really nice. (+1000) SUPERM4N is just really nice. (+1000) SUPERM4N is just really nice. (+1000) SUPERM4N is just really nice. (+1000) SUPERM4N is just really nice. (+1000) SUPERM4N is just really nice. (+1000) SUPERM4N is just really nice. (+1000) SUPERM4N is just really nice. (+1000) SUPERM4N is just really nice. (+1000) SUPERM4N is just really nice. (+1000) SUPERM4N is just really nice. (+1000)
    How prevalent is broscience amongst dieticians?
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle."

sekaonayr is just really nice. (+1000) sekaonayr is just really nice. (+1000) sekaonayr is just really nice. (+1000) sekaonayr is just really nice. (+1000) sekaonayr is just really nice. (+1000) sekaonayr is just really nice. (+1000) sekaonayr is just really nice. (+1000) sekaonayr is just really nice. (+1000) sekaonayr is just really nice. (+1000) sekaonayr is just really nice. (+1000) sekaonayr is just really nice. (+1000)
    can you pm me some solid things about nutrition that you don't think i would know? ive read all stickies
    Personal Records at sixteen years old / goals before 18:
    300 lb Bench Press - stopped benching after that though, haven't in three months. / 405
    260 lb Front Squat - 6/25/11 / 365
    95 lb dumbell incline / no clue
    165 lb millitary / 225
    135 lb snatch / 225
    BW x 20 chin ups / BW x 40

VitaminVendetta is just really nice. (+1000) VitaminVendetta is just really nice. (+1000) VitaminVendetta is just really nice. (+1000) VitaminVendetta is just really nice. (+1000) VitaminVendetta is just really nice. (+1000) VitaminVendetta is just really nice. (+1000) VitaminVendetta is just really nice. (+1000) VitaminVendetta is just really nice. (+1000) VitaminVendetta is just really nice. (+1000) VitaminVendetta is just really nice. (+1000) VitaminVendetta is just really nice. (+1000)
    That's not the purpose of this thread. I'm answering questions pertaining to the occupation.

But whatever..

1. They taste good. Eat them.
    2. Essential
    3. Red meat is fine. Its good to eat other meats too.
    4. Multivitamins are not necessary for people that consume adequate amounts of micronutrients with enough calories
    5. No opinion on insulin spikes. Pancreas takes care of insulin.
    6. CHO post workout is great for endurance athletes
    7. Coffee is the nectar of the Gods. Being productive leads to good health IMO
    8 and 9. Calorie balance > supplements for fat loss
    10. I don't recommend high doses of folate
    I award you 7/10. Your answers are very general and sometimes even seem to dodge my question. Not bad, tho. I award you a PhD in brotrition.

I stared my first company in college. I just found a need and filled it. It's not that hard.

In my opinion, most books on business are like books on sex. If you need to read a book on the subject, you probably don't have natural talent.
    Interesting opinion. I respectfully disagree, but the proof is in the pudding so the results of my endeavors are to be continued...

Originally Posted by soupermayn View Post
    Can i get lean while still enjoying my favourite foods like pizza, ben and jerry's and jelly?
    No of course not! You have to eat CLEAN BRO! Haha, jk. C'mon now.

did you have to put in a lot of volunteer time during school to make your resume better?
    do you dislike people that call themselves a nutritionist?
    I did a lot of volunteer time and I don't have any problem with "nutritionists"

soupermayn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soupermayn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soupermayn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soupermayn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soupermayn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soupermayn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soupermayn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soupermayn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soupermayn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soupermayn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soupermayn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

No of course not! You have to eat CLEAN BRO! Haha, jk. C'mon now.

Well done you has past the ultimate test.

You are now part of the league of extraordinary nutritionists. (Bodybuilding.com Certified 2011)

A league of great honour. Put it on your CV and jobs shal fall their knees asking you to take them.
    [If It Fits Your Macros Crew] - U mad?

WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    4. School (hopefully) builds a good base but you really don't know @#$% about weight loss or anything until after school.
    This...added needed comment in brackets. RDs are some of the most clueless people about nutrition I have ever met.
    BrinkZone, Where Bro-Science Got Rabies and Died!

www.BrinkZone.com

Check out my BrinkZone mini site on BB.com at:

www.bodybuilding.com/fun/willbrink.htm

=> President and Founder of Shaved head with goatee Crew
    => Science over bro science Crew

Originally Posted by SUPERM4N View Post
    How prevalent is broscience amongst dieticians?
    I'm not sure. It depends on the individual. Since most RDs work in a clinical setting, I'd say the average is probably low in the scope of their practice.

Originally Posted by sekaonayr View Post
    can you pm me some solid things about nutrition that you don't think i would know? ive read all stickies
    R u srs? No.

I award you 7/10. Your answers are very general and sometimes even seem to dodge my question. Not bad, tho. I award you a PhD in brotrition.
    Come at me, bro

Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500)
    Right now I'm trying to fill up my schedule just doing my nutrition counseling and personal training. I'd like to continue doing that and eventually get into teaching/motivational speaking. I'm in Toastmaster's to work on the public speaking.

I'm a big fan of 4 Hour Workweek. Ideally I'd like to have more free time to pursue other hobbies.
    What are the most important lessons you learned from the 4-hr workweek concept (dont know much about).

Much appreciated..hey u said we could ask anything lol.

Originally Posted by Labello View Post
    What are the most important lessons you learned from the 4-hr workweek concept (dont know much about).

Much appreciated..hey u said we could ask anything lol.
    The main points I took away from it are:
    1. Time is the only finite resource, don't let your business consume you
    2. Design the structure of your business to have more free time (automate!)
    3. Be more effective with email and communication

more about the book here: http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/overview/

were the things you learned in school, things that are easily found all over the web?
    seems like everybody gives nutrion advice on the web.

Trillios is just really nice. (+1000) Trillios is just really nice. (+1000) Trillios is just really nice. (+1000) Trillios is just really nice. (+1000) Trillios is just really nice. (+1000) Trillios is just really nice. (+1000) Trillios is just really nice. (+1000) Trillios is just really nice. (+1000) Trillios is just really nice. (+1000) Trillios is just really nice. (+1000) Trillios is just really nice. (+1000)
    Congratulations! I'm in the RD program as well 1st yr going to 2nd. Didn't read other posts since I'm short on time but when I do I'll make sure to ask something not covered. I hope to open my own private practice as well! Maybe even a gym .

were the things you learned in school, things that are easily found all over the web?
    seems like everybody gives nutrion advice on the web.
    No, bro. C'mon now.

Nutrition sciences covers a much larger scope than fitness. Nutrition for...
    -schools and communities
    -hospital food system management
    -specific diseases
    -counseling and psychology of eating
    -hospitality management
    -health inspector
    -pregnancy and nutrition through the lifecycle
    -drug/nutrient interactions
    -nutrigenomics
    -etc.

EDIT- Afterthought- actually most of that stuff can be found somewhere on Pubmed.gov
    Last edited by foodandfitness; 06-19-2011 at 02:13 PM.

Glutes... they are back Cumulonimbus's Avatar
    Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    These threads make me lol.

Reminds me of PT weekend seminar warriors.
    Just a weight lifter

No Bull**** Bodybuilding greekmanman's Avatar
    greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Talking

No, bro. C'mon now.

Nutrition sciences covers a much larger scope than fitness. Nutrition for...
    -schools and communities
    -hospital food system management
    -specific diseases
    -counseling and psychology of eating
    -hospitality management
    -health inspector
    -pregnancy and nutrition through the lifecycle
    -drug/nutrient interactions
    -nutrigenomics
    -etc.

EDIT- Afterthought- actually most of that stuff can be found somewhere on Pubmed.gov

Nutrigenomics...ausome

Congrats!
    Admin @ No Bull**** Bodybuilding: ********.com/nobull****bodybuildingverified

Admin @ No Stress Nutrition

Admin @ Hollywood's Rabid Cage: ********.com/groups/309091175828038/

Live, laugh, love and above all, please stay safe~

FBTK gives you facials.

http://instagram.com/edmaestheticss