Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    VeganBodyBuilding.com Alchematron's Avatar
    Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up Review: Powertec Power Rack PR11 and Utility Bench UB11

Review: Powertec Power Rack PR11 and Utility Bench UB11

The Power Rack and Bench, with Olympic Bar and Weights are the foundation of a dynamic home gym. Compound exercises like the Squat and Bench Press are the foundation of bodybuilding. The power rack allows you to perform these exercises safely and is the tool of choice for maximum gains. For most, investing in a rack and bench is a substantial purchase, so it pays to do your research.

I researched all the home-grade and commercial-grade power racks and benches on the market. Although there are many to choose from, for my current needs, available space, and budget, Powertec is what I chose. Purchasing equipment without trying it in real life can be challenging. Thanks to the members here for helping me choose this equipment.

For the differences between a Power Rack, Squat Stands, and Squat Rack, see the Power Rack Definition. For a comparison chart of power racks and benches, see the Power Rack Comparison and Bench Comparison.

All measurements below came from my tape measure. Measurements on the Powertec website may differ. I've attempted to provide a complete review including specifications not on the Powertec website. I hope this information is of value to your research. If I can help answer any questions, feel free to ask.

In addition to the right equipment, training with proper form is essential. See the works of professional trainer Stuart McRobert of HardGainer.com for proper form, intensity cycling with fractional plates, and how to structure your individual drug-free training program.

Power Rack Features & Benefits

Squat and Bench Press Safely

Full Range of Motion with Free-Weights

Workout at Home with No Gym Lines

Solid Stability

Gravity Lock Spotter Bars and J-Hooks

Overhead Press

Pull-Up and Dips

Partial Dead Lift

Standing Calf Raise

Abdominal Exercises

Curls

Lat Tower Option for Pull-Downs, Seated Rows, etc.

Bench Features & Benefits

Flat, Incline, Decline Positions

6 Incline Positions

2 Decline Positions

Pull-Pin Adjustment

Wheels for Easy Moving

Dumbbell and Abdominal Exercises

5 Different Optional Accessory Attachments

Model Numbers Reviewed

Powertec Work Bench Power Rack: WB-PR11

Powertec Work Bench Utility Bench: WB-UB11

Powertec Official Website

http://www.powertecfitness.com

Retail Price

Rack: $549.00 Includes Pull-Up Bar and Dip Bars

Bench: $299.00 Includes Hand Grip Bar

Shipping: Free In The Continental US

Color Options

Rack: Black or Construction Yellow

Bench: Black Only

Spotter Bars and J-Hooks: Chrome Only

Promotional Picture

Promotional Picture

Demonstration Videos

Rack Demo Video

Bench Demo video

Warranty

Lifetime on frames (excluding paint finish)

2 years on component parts (bearings, spring pins)

1 year on pads, grips, and unspecified parts

Rack Optional Attachment

Lat Tower

Bench Optional Attachments

Curl Machine, Leg Press, Pec Fly, Leg Lift, Dip Machine

Retail Suppliers

Besides direct from Powertec, there are a number of retail suppliers. I chose IronCompany.com My sales rep Jayson Operio was very helpful.

Maximum Weight Capacity

Racking section: 1000 pounds

Pull-Up and Dip Bars: 400 pounds bodyweight

Bench Bodyweight/Resistance Combination: 600 pounds

Materials

Rack: Mig welded 2 and 1/2 inch tubular 12 gauge (2.5mm) steel with baked powder coat glossy paint finish. 1/2 inch steel bolts, nuts, and washers. Hard rubber on Spotter Bars. Hard rubber pull-up grips. Plastic end caps.

Bench: Mig welded 2 inch by 3 inch tubular 12 gauge (2.5mm) steel with baked powder coat glossy paint finish. 1/2 inch steel bolts, nuts, and washers. 2 and 1/2 inch thick high-density foam seat and back pads. Faux leather upholstery. Yellow stitching. Embossed logo. Plastic end caps.

Dimensions

Rack: Length 50 and 1/2 inches, Width 49 inches, Height 83 inches

Bench Back and Seat: Length 49 inches, Width Wide 12 and 1/2 inches, Width Narrow 10 inches

Bench Frame Base: Length 38 inches, Width 26 and 3/4 inches

Bench Height Flat Position: 18 inches

Rack Internal Footprint Between Vertical Columns Dimensions

Length 25 and 1/2 inches

Width 45 inches

Spotter Bar Hole Dimensions

Total 22 numbered holes. Each hole is 1 and 1/8 inch in diameter. Each hole is spaced 2 and 1/2 inches from hole center to hole center. Hole 1 is 16 inches high. Hole 22 is 68 and 1/2 inches high.

Dip Bar Dimensions

14 and 1/2 inches long. 5 and 3/4 inch circumference The bars can be positioned inside or outside the rack. They point inward at a 70 degree angle. Knurled handles. The width of the bars varies between 20 and 27 inches. The bars are very stable.

Pull-Up Bar Dimensions

Grip Width: 20 inches, Grip Width Wide: 32 inches, Bar Circumference: 4 inches. The bars are very stable.

Transportation

Since the equipment is too heavy for UPS or FedEx, an independent transportation company is used. The driver arrived with a flatbed truck and forklift. The boxes covered with plastic on a pallet was forklifted onto the driveway. The driver helped me lift the boxes from the driveway to the patio. I un-boxed the equipment on the patio and carried the pieces into the house.

Packaging

The boxes came securely wrapped with plastic ties. The parts were individually wrapped in plastic to prevent scratches.

Shipping Weight

Rack: 209.4 pounds

Bench: 81.9 pounds

Assembly

Rack requires two people for safe assembly.

Rack assembly time about 2 hours. Bench assembly time about 1 hour.

Manual: Part List and Exploded Diagram

Assembly difficulty: Rack easy. Bench moderate due to diagram.

Tighten all bolts before using equipment.

Assembly Tools

Rack: 1- 8 inch adjustable wrench. 1 ratchet wrench with 7/8 inch socket.

Bench: 2 - 8 inch adjustable wrench. 1 allen wrench included with bench.

Build Quality and Finish

All welds excellent. The rack stability is solid due to bolted support plates that reinforce the joints. Paint finish excellent. Bench has moderate wobble.

Improvement Suggestions

Re-design bench like the Legend Fitness 4-Way bench. Eliminate bench wobble. Add rubber to the J-Hooks like the Spotter Bars have. Monkey Bar option. Closer Spotter Bar Holes. Rack Plate Holder option. Better assembly instructions. Manufacture in USA instead of China.

Notes

Although I stand 5 feet 10 inches, I found the flat position of the bench too high for my feet to touch the floor flat. The bench in the flat position is 18 inches high. Originally I planned to purchase the Legend Fitness 4-Way Bench, but changed my decision due to wanting a Leg Lift attachment and uncertain if the bench would fit the rack with the Lat Tower installed. Some report that the Lat Tower does not give full range of motion for those who stand over 5 feet 10 inches.

Conclusion

Powertec is a progressive leader in the fitness industry. They produce high quality products. There is still room for improvement as indicated in the suggestions above. Some enthusiasts advise starting with a high-end rack and bench from manufacturers like Legend Fitness, Hammer Strength, Cybex, Hoist, Rogue Fitness, Texas Strength Systems, Sorinex, EliteFTS over Powertec. I agree with this view, however, for my current needs, available space, and budget, Powertec gets the job done. I see myself using this equipment for a long time.

Photo Notes: Some of the the photos below have imperfections due to pixelation
    Reality Based Training = HardGainer.com

Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Rack Boxes

Bench Box

Manual & Assembly Tools

Rack Squat Position

Rack Bench Press Position

Spotter Bars

J-Hooks

Bench Flat Position

Bench Incline Position

Bench Decline Position

Bench Grip

Pull-Up Bars

Dip Bars

Redmen62 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Redmen62 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Redmen62 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Redmen62 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Redmen62 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Redmen62 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Redmen62 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Redmen62 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Redmen62 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Redmen62 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Nice review! I have the Power Rack and have been extremely pleased with it thus far. I haven't had much luck with buying benches off of Kijiji (similar to CL), so I may have to consider splurging for the matching bench...

Ready for the Next Level ryanINmichigan's Avatar
    ryanINmichigan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryanINmichigan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryanINmichigan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryanINmichigan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryanINmichigan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryanINmichigan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryanINmichigan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryanINmichigan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryanINmichigan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryanINmichigan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryanINmichigan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes, nice review. I read it completely through.

What I am a little confused about is this part:

Does that mean the bench has a 600 pound limit including your bodyweight?

If so, that seems very light.

I never like to use ANYTHING near its capacity.

I'd feel more comfortable seeing 1000 pounds for that rating.

Maybe I am not understanding it correctly.

Originally Posted by ryanINmichigan View Post

The spec came directly from the Powertec website.

http://www.powertecfitness.com/featu...-utility-bench

I would suggest calling them for exact details.

darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Very thorough review alchematron, great job and enjoy the new toys!
    []---[] Equipment Crew #30 []---[]
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #7 []---[]

Home gym pics:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1192814061&viewfull=1#post1192814061
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1198875921&viewfull=1#post1198875921
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1202033661&viewfull=1#post1202033661

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Seems to me that you got it right. If you weigh 400 lbs, that means that maximum you should lift using that bench is 200 lbs. OTOH, if you weigh 200 lbs, the max you should lift is 400 lbs.

Alchematron: Great review. Great photos. Rep'd.

PoisonClown is on a distinguished road. (+10) PoisonClown is on a distinguished road. (+10) PoisonClown is on a distinguished road. (+10) PoisonClown is on a distinguished road. (+10) PoisonClown is on a distinguished road. (+10) PoisonClown is on a distinguished road. (+10) PoisonClown is on a distinguished road. (+10) PoisonClown is on a distinguished road. (+10) PoisonClown is on a distinguished road. (+10) PoisonClown is on a distinguished road. (+10) PoisonClown is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Sold.

Thank you for posting. I am buying this rack.

ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000)
    Great review. The members here at BB.com never cease to amaze me with their reviews.

RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000)
    You should have a chrome piece that bolts to where the bottom of the lat tower would be and lets the rack dock with the bench. Are you missing it, or didn't want to install it?

deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    At my local DSG, they have the olympic style bench, but it comes with an attachment to hook your feet in when doing decline. Did your's come with this attachment?
    There is no spoon.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: For I am the baddest man in the valley.

We all only have today and right now, but without death being pressed upon us we hide behind our false pretense of immortality. - Lvisaa

lukeeluciano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by RBLOCK View Post
    You should have a chrome piece that bolts to where the bottom of the lat tower would be and lets the rack dock with the bench. Are you missing it, or didn't want to install it?

I just bought my Powertec Rack, the new version and mine didnt come with one. I emailed POwertec and "Jamie" replied back that the part is $20 plus shipping. I didn't get a "yes or no" if the part is supposed to come with the rack.

RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by lukeeluciano View Post
    I just bought my Powertec Rack, the new version and mine didnt come with one. I emailed POwertec and "Jamie" replied back that the part is $20 plus shipping. I didn't get a "yes or no" if the part is supposed to come with the rack.
    Very weird. Mine came with one. It's pretty handy for getting the bench centered for pressing.

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    I have both the Powertec Rack and Utility Bench, and they've both served me very well. Solid equipment, IMO.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

Originally Posted by ProudMarineDad View Post
    Great review. The members here at BB.com never cease to amaze me with their reviews.
    Thanks guys!

I've learned a lot on this forum

And I am trying to contribute back to this great community

Originally Posted by RBLOCK View Post
    I did receive two extra support plates, but I don't think it's what I see in this picture.

I'll have to call Powertec and see what they say.

Also I'm not sure how the bench would dock with the rack since the bench wheels look like they would get in the way?

Originally Posted by deadpool9 View Post
    At my local DSG, they have the olympic style bench, but it comes with an attachment to hook your feet in when doing decline. Did your's come with this attachment?
    Olympic style bench?

Do you have a picture?

No feet attachment on my bench.

I thought you had to buy the Leg Lift attachment for that feature?

Gazi is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gazi is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gazi is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gazi is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gazi is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gazi is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gazi is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gazi is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gazi is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gazi is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gazi is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Alchematron View Post
    Pull-Up Bars
    Anyone notice the grips on the pull up bars look like they've been re-designed?

I have this same late model rack, but the rubber grips on the pull up bars slide over the bar and cup the ends, almost like a rubber sock. They're useless because they squirm and rotate making it very difficult to grip the bars. These new ones seem like a a much tighter/custom fit, the rubber even looks to be of better quality.

Here's a good pic I found on home gym bodybuilding's site. Ignoring his custom pull-up bar and looking at the stock Powertec setup you can see the crappy original rubber grips:
    Last edited by Gazi; 06-22-2011 at 02:06 PM.

Registered User Curbside_Quiche's Avatar
    Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000)

I have seen some heavy lifts done on the Powertec by big guys without a problem. So you can safely assume that this is a conservative rating. However I have seen some cheaper equipment crap itself with half the recommended weight.

Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000)

Notes

Although I stand 5 feet 10 inches, I found the flat position of the bench too high for my feet to touch the floor flat. The bench in the flat position is 18 inches high.
    You need to pull the bench forward like in the image attached. This will lower the bench height for you.
    Attached Images

Originally Posted by Gazi View Post
    Yes, well spotted. The chin up bars are not only a lot wider they also have new grips and end caps.

There was a problem with some 2010 power racks with grips slipping excessively. There is a good product called lube'n'glue which we have tried and think is great. So if you want to take your grips off and put them back on with this it will fix the problem for you.

Registered Ginger Muscle Mania Matt's Avatar
    Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

that's the same rating they gave me. I have the same bench, and my opinion is that it is quite solid. I've had 300+ lb benchers pushing close to 600 on there regularly, and there are no signs of wear or weakness in it. Regardless, I plan on getting a different bench strictly for benching soon. It feels a bit awkward because its not the same size and shape as a regulation bench.
    -[[[[------]]]]-

***Misc Cigar Crew***
    Traditional Wet Shave Crew

Originally Posted by Gazi View Post
    Yeah, the new re-designed pull up bar grips have zero slippage.

Powertec's response to customer feedback is impressive.

Originally Posted by Curbside_Quiche View Post
    You need to pull the bench forward like in the image attached. This will lower the bench height for you.
    Thank you!

The new improved Powertec Leg Press attachment is due out July 8, 2011.

Hopefully it will be an improvement over the original.

Please post a review for those who receive it.

New Improved Powertec Leg Press

Original Powertec Leg Press

Official Powertec Workbench Power Rack Promo 2011

Official Powertec Workbench Utility Bench Promo 2011

Official Powertec Workbench Machine Accessories Promo 2011

Last edited by Alchematron; 06-25-2011 at 02:15 AM.

deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Olympic style bench?

Do you have a picture?

No feet attachment on my bench.

I thought you had to buy the Leg Lift attachment for that feature?
    http://www.powertecfitness.com/produ...-olympic-bench

This is the Olympic Style bench, but it does not show the bar I was talking about. I guess it is possible someone took it from a different bench and put on the Powertec.
    There is no spoon.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: For I am the baddest man in the valley.

We all only have today and right now, but without death being pressed upon us we hide behind our false pretense of immortality. - Lvisaa

vmirage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the review. I am looking to get those 2 pieces to start my gym up.. however, I am concerned with the bench wobbling you mention. Is it that bad? I can imagine it being annoying when doing bench presses especially.