RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000)

The Precor AMT Sucks.

I'm posting this because I'm pissed off at Precor for making more crappy gym equipment. I stayed in the DC Hilton recently, and they had a pretty decent gym called Mint. I think it's available to both hotel guests and community members. Anyway, I got excited when I saw a Precor AMT among the cardio gear. I'd seen some videos of this machine in action and it looked like a cool concept.

I hopped on the machine and started with some stepping movement. Not bad, but that wasn't what I was looking for. I wanted to try the huge bounding run I saw on Youtube. Three strides in, I raked and tore my knee on the plastic seam of the console in front of me. I was literally dripping blood on the floor of the nice DC gym. It became painfully clear that this thing wasn't designed with sufficient depth for my stride.

I guess the problem here is obvious: I'm over 6' tall and most soccer moms this thing is targeted for aren't. All the same, I question how difficult it really is to design a machine usable by taller athletes. Making it impossible to use without injury for larger people more or less guarantees that you won't get many professional endorsements. At the very least, I want the opposite of a roller coaster sign on each machine: must be under 6' to ride.

One last thing: this machine is almost entirely plastic, like an action figure. F*ck you, Precor.

[/rant]

wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000)
    That sucks. But, the sign idea cracked me up.

SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm going to go on a limb and call it Operator Error. If that's the case then it should have a sign that reads "Must be smarter than the equipment you are trying to operate". Lol

I've used the AMT 885 several times and have walked away injury free every single time. At 6'1, I am by no means a giant but I'm not a midget either.

I will say that I prefer the Cybex Arc Trainer over the Precor AMT.

RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by SDSammy View Post
    I'm going to go on a limb and call it Operator Error. If that's the case then it should have a sign that reads "Must be smarter than the equipment you are trying to operate". Lol

I've used the AMT 885 several times and have walked away injury free every single time. At 6'1, I am by no means a giant but I'm not a midget either.

I will say that I prefer the Cybex Arc Trainer over the Precor AMT.
    It should not be physically possible for the operator's knee to hit the console while his/her feet are on the pedals. If such a thing is possible, the machine has been designed poorly. Particularly on this machine, for which the biggest selling point is that the user can choose the stride length and depth.

That said, I'll agree that the Arc is better. My knees don't hit the machine on any incline setting.

SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by RBLOCK View Post
    It should not be physically possible for the operator's knee to hit the console while his/her feet are on the pedals. If such a thing is possible, the machine has been designed poorly. Particularly on this machine, for which the biggest selling point is that the user can choose the stride length and depth.

That said, I'll agree that the Arc is better. My knees don't hit the machine on any incline setting.
    I no longer go to the gym that had the AMTs so I can't exactly test if there is any way that my knee could hit the console but I agree, when using it under normal use, your knees should not hit anything.

Ironically, they didn't seem very popular. There were only three at the gym I used to go to but they were hardly used. At least not during the hours that I visited the gym. The arc trainers, regular elliptical machines and especially the stairmaster stepmills were more popular.

Originally Posted by SDSammy View Post
    I no longer go to the gym that had the AMTs so I can't exactly test if there is any way that my knee could hit the console but I agree, when using it under normal use, your knees should not hit anything.

Ironically, they didn't seem very popular. There were only three at the gym I used to go to but they were hardly used. At least not during the hours that I visited the gym. The arc trainers, regular elliptical machines and especially the stairmaster stepmills were more popular.
    Have you seen this study? Maybe the snarkiest marketing ploy ever...Cybex released this just after the AMT came out:

http://media.cybexintl.com/cybexinst...RC_English.pdf

theamenedes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ohmigosh.... my foot slipped up thru the crappy orange things, came down, broke the left on in two, and then my whole leg slid off the machine, shin first (along with the rest of my body) blood everywhere...paiin... all because this is like, not an excercise machine... it is just like a big plastic toy... i feel like suing... 6 inch scar down my shin, probably a fracture...

Originally Posted by theamenedes View Post
    ohmigosh.... my foot slipped up thru the crappy orange things, came down, broke the left on in two, and then my whole leg slid off the machine, shin first (along with the rest of my body) blood everywhere...paiin... all because this is like, not an excercise machine... it is just like a big plastic toy... i feel like suing... 6 inch scar down my shin, probably a fracture...
    Class action lawsuit is in the air. We just need to get people who have the wrong dimensions to all go use these on the company demo floor at the same time.

scootr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scootr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scootr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scootr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scootr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scootr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scootr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scootr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scootr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scootr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scootr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by theamenedes View Post
    I'm sorry that anyone was even remotely harmed in any way while working out. Although, I have to play devils advocate here. ANY exercise is inherently dangerous if you lack coordination (ME), are not physically fit, or exert yourself beyond your own capabilities. I have used the Precor 100i and the 885 in multiple gyms ( i travel for work). It makes my day when I find them in a gym that I'm working out in. I'm forty now, i still go heavy using dead lifts, squats, etc in the power rack. <<this is where you will usually find me. I have to say that the AMT series is probably one of the best pieces of equipment that i have ever used. Its sells itself, and EVERY person I have told about it RAVES about the machine once they get a chance to try it. Listen, after a heavy day in the squat rack, the last thing I want to do to my knees a day or so later is go for a run on the treadmill and destroy whats left of my knees.

Bottom line. The machine does take a bit getting use to, but at the end of the day it saves my knees and gives me the cardio I need. I'm sorry any blood was shed, but come on. Some of you want to sue because you tripped over your own two feet, or didn't research the machine before jumping on it. Take some responsibility for your own actions. The complaining here reminds me of those people on the biggest loser. Whaa, I'm breaking a sweat and out of breath..my muscles hurt WHAA!! By the way. I'm 6 ft myself. I have no idea how you hit your knees on this machine, unless you let your feet come out of the foot holds. Just my two cents..

Originally Posted by scootr View Post
    I'm sorry that anyone was even remotely harmed in any way while working out. Although, I have to play devils advocate here. ANY exercise is inherently dangerous if you lack coordination (ME), are not physically fit, or exert yourself beyond your own capabilities. I have used the Precor 100i and the 885 in multiple gyms ( i travel for work). It makes my day when I find them in a gym that I'm working out in. I'm forty now, i still go heavy using dead lifts, squats, etc in the power rack. <<this is where you will usually find me. I have to say that the AMT series is probably one of the best pieces of equipment that i have ever used. Its sells itself, and EVERY person I have told about it RAVES about the machine once they get a chance to try it. Listen, after a heavy day in the squat rack, the last thing I want to do to my knees a day or so later is go for a run on the treadmill and destroy whats left of my knees.

Bottom line. The machine does take a bit getting use to, but at the end of the day it saves my knees and gives me the cardio I need. I'm sorry any blood was shed, but come on. Some of you want to sue because you tripped over your own two feet, or didn't research the machine before jumping on it. Take some responsibility for your own actions. The complaining here reminds me of those people on the biggest loser. Whaa, I'm breaking a sweat and out of breath..my muscles hurt WHAA!! By the way. I'm 6 ft myself. I have no idea how you hit your knees on this machine, unless you let your feet come out of the foot holds. Just my two cents..
    If it is physically possible to skin your knees on the console of a cardio machine while your feet are on the pedals then it is poorly designed. Period. I'm taller than you, and I can and did skin my knee on this stupid piece of crap. You would be correct in saying this was my fault is there was some type of sign on this machine saying tall users can't take full strides without risk of superficial injuries, but there was no disclaimer like that.

This thing is plastic elliptical junk like all of the rest of the plastic elliptical junk out there. I use an Arc Trainer which is 1. made of steel and 2. not possible to skin my knees on because there are a few inches between knees and console on all incline settings.

Bottom line, they all need user disclaimers on the screen. Strong thread necro btw

djmonster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Precor AMT is the best machine on the planet. period.

I'm posting this because I'm pissed off at Precor for making more crappy gym equipment. I stayed in the DC Hilton recently, and they had a pretty decent gym called Mint. I think it's available to both hotel guests and community members. Anyway, I got excited when I saw a Precor AMT among the cardio gear. I'd seen some videos of this machine in action and it looked like a cool concept.

I hopped on the machine and started with some stepping movement. Not bad, but that wasn't what I was looking for. I wanted to try the huge bounding run I saw on Youtube. Three strides in, I raked and tore my knee on the plastic seam of the console in front of me. I was literally dripping blood on the floor of the nice DC gym. It became painfully clear that this thing wasn't designed with sufficient depth for my stride.

I guess the problem here is obvious: I'm over 6' tall and most soccer moms this thing is targeted for aren't. All the same, I question how difficult it really is to design a machine usable by taller athletes. Making it impossible to use without injury for larger people more or less guarantees that you won't get many professional endorsements. At the very least, I want the opposite of a roller coaster sign on each machine: must be under 6' to ride.

One last thing: this machine is almost entirely plastic, like an action figure. F*ck you, Precor.

[/rant]
    People think they are going to use this machine like an elliptical. IT IS NOT AN ELLIPTICAL. It is the only machine that is USER DEFINED. The user creates the motion.
    This machine definitely has a small learning curve but once you get it it will become your favorite. I have used them all. The Arc trainer is a boring pendulum swing while the new OPEN STRIDE AMT has a variety of movements and incline to it with a 37inch stride length. Killer workout without the same machine defined movement that does nothing for interval training. This machine is being used by people over 6'5". There is no way to skin your knee on this machine. No way. Best cardio machine ever!!!

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by djmonster View Post
    Killer
    Based on the other posts ITT, I'd say ^^^^ this description of that machine hits the nail on the head.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

rhodion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Precor 100i is safe

I love the Precor 100i. I chose my gym in large part because they have several of them. I am 6'1", which is above average and my knees have never collided with the machine. Also, I do intervals and so I am often pulling hard on the handles and launching myself into the air and the "swing meter" confirms that I am near the range limit. My sympathies to the guy who hit his knee and especially to the poor guy who broke his foot; maybe they are much bigger and stronger and that is part of the reason that they injured themselves by going beyond the capabilities of the machine. While I admit to being a cautious old man, do I really have to say that when using a new piece of equipment you should ease into it? I would say the same thing about something as mechanically simple as a barbell.

justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I came across this thread from a search because I started using the Precor AMT 885 about two weeks ago and I have to say it is hands down the best cardio machine I have ever used. If I won the lotto, this would be on my must buy list for my home gym lol. I'm 6'2" and this newer model fits me perfectly. I have also tried the older 100i and I did notice the stride length is limited for us taller guys. Next time I'm at the gym, I will try to see how he could have hurt himself, but I've gone pretty intensely on both of these models and haven't encountered any knee bumps.

kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Used to sell them and now sell against them (and sell them used still) Never heard of this happening though I will use it to get people to like my Lateral X instead! The Build knock is crap though because it is a freight train in the framing and bearings Just an odd design.
    I sell home and commercial fitness equipment, so if you have questions on equipment PM me and I will help.

“When the light comes down, and the earth shakes with the footsteps of a thousand battalions, when the air sings with the sound of clashing shields, and the ground is wet with the blood of men, that is when I am most alive. That is when my life is taken to the edge of the point, that is when I am invincible until the moment of death”

-Unknown Spartan Hoplite, 461 B.C.-

jibanes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Amt

I have tried the AMT for the first time today, at the Precor store, in front of REI, in Seattle, WA.
    While I have tried it only for a few minutes, I found it relatively interesting, and quite different; you really have to try one yourself because it's hard to translate the feeling.

I liked it, I didn't like the price tag and a few things, such as too many plastic parts (although the beast is already 500lbs), I didn't have any issue with it. I'm 5'8 and 150lbs. The salesperson referred to it as "the ultimate" cardio machine (which, in my opinion is just about any public pool). It bears a 10 years warranty, which is a plus; I've never owned a Precor and don't have much experience (other than the few minutes of use) of the AMT, but I found it quite superior to anything I've seen before.

I intend to go back to the store this weekend to try it even more.

redfitness926 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

The AMT is the most advanced cardio piece to date. THE. BEST.

[/rant]

I'm gonna need to to agree with the "user error" assessment. This machine is virtually flawless. I work out on it every day. You can in fact sprint on it - even people over 6'4. It just has a bit of a learning curve, and thus tends to ward off anyone who's "I know ALL of the fitness things!!!" mentality takes over. That being said. Don't hate on Precor. They are pioneers for every demographic.
    Attached Images

jibanes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I bought the AMT last summer, it's the ultimate machine, nothing comes close to it; it's an investment on my health; well worth it, cheaper than healthcare.

KaoiticKitty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by justinluck View Post
    I came across this thread from a search because I started using the Precor AMT 885 about two weeks ago and I have to say it is hands down the best cardio machine I have ever used. If I won the lotto, this would be on my must buy list for my home gym lol. I'm 6'2" and this newer model fits me perfectly. I have also tried the older 100i and I did notice the stride length is limited for us taller guys. Next time I'm at the gym, I will try to see how he could have hurt himself, but I've gone pretty intensely on both of these models and haven't encountered any knee bumps.
    Ha I know this thread has been dead for a few years but... I also found it trying to decide between the AMT and the Arc Trainer. I just recently moved and have tried several gyms in the area so far, and refuse to even get a membership if they don't have a good elliptical center suspended strider or something with a good incline. I can not stand the ones that are roller mounted. Generally I have my own free weights and run outside ALOT. I average a 1000 miles a year these days but... ugh for times like today, horrible dreary rain... and it seems to happen a lot here and since I can't find a decent gym.. and one that's 24 hours since I have to get my butt up at 3am to get a good work out in before work, I'm looking to just getting my own. I either want to get an older used Arc Trainer or AMT, and I am interested in the new Norditrack Free Stride... how ever, I have no way of trying one out before I buy and I'm scared because I can be a little rough on ellipticals. It has been years since I've even used an AMT so I can't quite remember how they compare.