Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cable Crossover

Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cable Crossover

I was doing Cable Crossover as a chest exercise in my program for a long time . But last time while i was doing Cable Crossover two guys ( they call their self " experienced " ) started talking to me " are u crazy , that exercise is for people who have big chest " and also they said that i shoudn't do that exercise .
    Is that true ? or they are just some *******s

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Kekoo View Post
    I was doing Cable Crossover as a chest exercise in my program for a long time . But last time while i was doing Cable Crossover two guys ( they call their self " experienced " ) started talking to me " are u crazy , that exercise is for people who have big chest " and also they said that i shoudn't do that exercise .
    Is that true ? or they are just some *******s
    The movement is for individuals who want a big chest.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kekoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    The movement is for individuals who want a big chest.
    So is it ok for me to do that exercise , i am 6 months in the body building ( beginner )

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So is it ok for me to do that exercise , i am 6 months in the body building ( beginner )
    Absolutely.

Don't pay attention to those two individuals in the gym. Real experienced bodybuilders will never spout such "advice".
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Thanks bro !

sircharles032 is a name known to all. (+5000) sircharles032 is a name known to all. (+5000) sircharles032 is a name known to all. (+5000) sircharles032 is a name known to all. (+5000) sircharles032 is a name known to all. (+5000) sircharles032 is a name known to all. (+5000) sircharles032 is a name known to all. (+5000) sircharles032 is a name known to all. (+5000) sircharles032 is a name known to all. (+5000) sircharles032 is a name known to all. (+5000) sircharles032 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    As long as it's not your main focus on chest day then disregard two guys at gym

Daniel678 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel678 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel678 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel678 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel678 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Got to start some where

ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    No. It's a shi*ty choice when it comes to building mass for you. You're wasting your time and energy.
    bb.com, a place that turned Deadlift into a forearm isolation exercise

and a place where 99% of 21 year olds have bad back and knees.

Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ZoranM View Post
    No. It's a shi*ty choice when it comes to building mass for you. You're wasting your time and energy.
    ^^^this. Use heavy DB or BB movements......thousands of people have used them to build mass. I think most people do the cable crossover so they can look at themselves in the mirror and do the Hulk pose....that's what I've seen anyway. lol

RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Love them they really stretch the chest out nice after the main pressing movements.But not a mass builder more shaping the chest exercise but never the less great to finish of any chest routine .

Originally Posted by Turboboy View Post
    ^^^this. Use heavy DB or BB movements......thousands of people have used them to build mass. I think most people do the cable crossover so they can look at themselves in the mirror and do the Hulk pose....that's what I've seen anyway. lol
    I think ZoranM was being sarcastic.

I suck at usernames Indestructible6's Avatar
    Indestructible6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Indestructible6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Indestructible6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Indestructible6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Indestructible6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Indestructible6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Indestructible6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Indestructible6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Indestructible6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Indestructible6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Indestructible6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    One of my favorite excersises. Those guys at the gym make no sense. Thats like saying, "Lifting weights is for big people". Or, "Cardio is for marathon runners"

Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000)
    Then, apparently, I respectfully disagree with both of you. lol

illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    lol <_<;

1. Get your list of exercises from this website

2. Lift intensely and ignore everyone else in the gym

3. ???

4. Profit!
    أشهد أن لا إله إلاَّ الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

🚷 Anti-Degeneracy League 🚷

https://www.twitter.com/eyeonpalestine

Mossad acronym: ISIS AKA Israeli Secret Intelligence Service

I suck at usernames Indestructible6's Avatar
    Indestructible6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Indestructible6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Indestructible6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Indestructible6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Indestructible6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Indestructible6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Indestructible6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Indestructible6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Indestructible6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Indestructible6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Indestructible6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Dude, thats totally why I do it. AND that is why it's my favorite excersise.

illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I do cable cross overs but I also focus negatives with it.
    أشهد أن لا إله إلاَّ الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

🚷 Anti-Degeneracy League 🚷

https://www.twitter.com/eyeonpalestine

Mossad acronym: ISIS AKA Israeli Secret Intelligence Service

TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    well you should be focusing on heavy compounds but if you want to finish with cables thats fine

FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    dont use it as a main exercise for your chest, but if you want to incorporate it in your routine, thats fine as well

I guess I'm in the minority here. It's cool. You guys do what you do and I'll continue doing what I do. I won't argue with anyone who's had success with it. Personally, I haven't.

At first thanks all of you for your time and your answers . I started the Kris Gethin cutting program yesterday and in the second week there is a cable crossover as chest exercise . So that's why i got a bit confused . I will follow his program properly for 12 week and see the results .
    Thanks again !
    Keko

delusive is on a distinguished road. (+10) delusive is on a distinguished road. (+10) delusive is on a distinguished road. (+10) delusive is on a distinguished road. (+10) delusive is on a distinguished road. (+10) delusive is on a distinguished road. (+10) delusive is on a distinguished road. (+10) delusive is on a distinguished road. (+10) delusive is on a distinguished road. (+10) delusive is on a distinguished road. (+10) delusive is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I do the crossovers @ the very end of the workout, dont hate.

ShootemTex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think it is hysterical when people warn against an exercise because it builds bulk. As if your gonna wake up the next morning with a 20 in. larger chest and say what the f*** I should have listened to those guys in the gym. Anyone who proposes that an exercise will get you big so fast that you will be unhappy with it is an idiot. It reminds me of the people who don't lift weights because they "don't wanna get too big", like that crap happens overnight. Don't listen to them, crossovers are a great exercise.

ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Then, apparently, I respectfully disagree with both of you. lol
    Actually, it wasn't sarcasm. Maybe my comment was a bit to blunt, but it was based on the avi, age, stats, and OP saying he was a beginner; and a few more things.

OP mentioned "bodybuilding". I'm always very happy to discuss bodybuilding, always open minded and the last to discard anything definitely. The guy is lifting for 6 months. IMO, there's one reason for a person that young and new to do crossovers: great potential and ambitions; and guidance and plan from that early on. The second reason for a "relative newb" to focus on them is poorly responsive chest. Crossovers and similar exercises can do a good job "waking up" such pecs. But it can(and usually does) take more than 6 months to come up with such conclusion.

Here we have a beginner who had the need to ask this question. That says something. He is probably doing some split that compared to what he should be doing will not bring results as good. Now, there's that thing that beginners will grow doing pretty much anything. He may end up fooling himself that crossovers did wonders. Cable crossovers have NOWHERE near the mass building potential as presses, flies and dips. He should at least focus on the "best basic moves". Any of those and their variations, one on one, beat crossovers 90+ % of the time. There have been examples of doing them as the main thing with great results, but that's not something you see or hear about every day. It is an exercise that may change the appearance of your inner chest relatively fast if you focus on them, but i doubt he even knows why he does crossovers, and that can't compare with what a basic chest program can do for him now.

So, will there be harm for him doing them-probably not at all for him to worry about. Can he do better without them-absolutely.

EDIT: just saw that OP is "cutting"
    Last edited by ZoranM; 06-13-2011 at 02:33 AM.

dat dere stick insect noflyingcars's Avatar
    noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Cable crossovers have NOWHERE near the mass building potential as presses, flies and dips.
    I agree fully with your post, but I thought that flies were inferior to bench for mass-building?
    I thought that for building mass it was

bench > flies > cables crossover

(basically the more the weight, the merrier)
    3k+

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Cable crossovers are a perfectly acceptable alternative to other fly variations. As noted, if you're doing them after your presses, you're fine.

Maybe something like this:
    Flat press (bb or db) 4 sets
    Incline press 3 sets
    crossover or fly 2-3 sets (higher reps)
    Who was this love of yours?

Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    So, will there be harm for him doing them-probably not at all for him to worry about. Can he do better without them-absolutely.
    I actually see it as the opposite. I think not doing them will lead to good results as long as he presses, but I can only see the results being better if he were to include these. Many inexperienced guys, as you touched on, have difficulty actually hitting the pecs with pressing movements out of inability to properly contract them. So something like flys/crossovers can help to flesh out their routine.
    Use the tools of the trade to help you. I use devices such as chalk for grip strength, gloves, wrist straps, lifting belts - if it helps you lift more, it's all good. - Ronnie Coleman, Hardcore, 2007 Triumph Books

Biggest question in bodybuilding: Whaddaya bench? As I've said before, it doesn't matter how much you bench; it matters how much you [i]look[/i] like you bench... There's no round on stage that's the benchpress round. - Bob Chicherillo, World Class Physique, CMG

Originally Posted by noflyingcars View Post
    I thought that for building mass it was

bench > flies > cables crossover
    Roughly, yes.

Originally Posted by Bostongeorge617 View Post
    I actually see it as the opposite. I think not doing them will lead to good results as long as he presses, but I can only see the results being better if he were to include these. Many inexperienced guys, as you touched on, have difficulty actually hitting the pecs with pressing movements out of inability to properly contract them. So something like flys/crossovers can help to flesh out their routine.
    I guess i was vague when i said without them, i meant with something better instead. I still stand by my the initial opinion that he should do DB flies instead(that's if he has a chest day or similar). Crossovers are an alternative, yes, if we wanna look at these two that way, BUT, when it comes to mass building potential for beginners/relative beginners, no freaking way a cable crossover is at the same level as db fly.

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Crossovers are an alternative, yes, if we wanna look at these two that way, BUT, when it comes to mass building potential for beginners/relative beginners, no freaking way a cable crossover is at the same level as db fly.
    I don't think it matters much. Pec deck, DB flyes, crossovers are all in the same boat as far as Im concerned. Any one is suitable after presses. I have not seen enough of a difference between various movements over the years to lead me to believe that any are inherently better than the others.
    Who was this love of yours?

Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by delusive View Post
    I do the crossovers @ the very end of the workout, dont hate.
    This, and only for a few weeks at a time. It's nice sometimes, but it's not the type of exercise that will do a lot for mass development. I tend to use it to focus on the crossover portion of the movement because it's not a part of the ROM that gets hit in other areas. It's not an "inner chest" thing, but it is nice for stimulation with a pump. It's not really a big deal. No reason to trash it.

Originally Posted by ThickAsABrick View Post
    Pec deck, DB flyes, crossovers are all in the same boat as far as Im concerned.
    I don't believe you , because i've been seeing you post for 2 years now. You gotta have a preference on a given period, or day even? And why? (at least based on feeling)How do you choose what to do?

I do see and feel the difference. I often liked doing a DB fly based session and pressing with what's left in the tank, without even looking at such sessions as pre-exhaust, for me that does a lot of good. I have a preference for each of those non-presses, but i'd pull a JasonDB if i start typing about it

Oh, does it really seem irrelevant to all that we are talking about a trainee with 6 months experience on a cut?