View Poll Results: Was I helpful to you on passing the NASM?

Voters
226. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

210 92.92%
  • No

16 7.08%
Page 16 of 43 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast
    rubysphoto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by GTTony View Post
    I just passed my NASM CPT EXAM!!!!!!

TY to everyone in this thread.

The Upward Mobility app is an ABSOLUTE MUST to get. Run through the study mode on that.

Assessments and the pertinent muscle imbalances are crucial. There were a lot of those. Also know the information regarding being a professional NASM CPT such as legal and ethical boundaries.

OPT model is very easy when you see the format they use throughout the different types of exercises.

"THROW" or "TOSS" EXERCISES are always POWER.

TY So much it was my first time taking the test.

The videos on the NASM website are also very veyr very helpful.
    Congrats! A great feeling to have :-)
    NASM CPT

MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Passed my exam bros! Thanks for all the help. this thread definitly helped!

Heres some stuff i wish i studied more:

-Planterflexion/dorsaiflexion: I couldnt remember which was which, had 2 questions where i did a 50/50 guess.
    -Exercise names: there were a few questions where i didnt know the names of exercise. I understood all the material and progression of exercise, and i thought id be able to see the exercise names be able to figure out which they were.
    -Reciprical Inhibition: I had like 3 questions where i narrowed it down to this and one other answer... woulda helped if i knew what it was lol.

Also, I remember someone mentioning impossible/trick questions on the test... I had a few of them as well... what the fuk??? Like for example, one was like this:

A client's head protrudes forward on the push/pull assessment, which muscle should be stretched?

So you stretch the overactive muscles, and i memorized the chart on pg 183 So i know the answer is gonna be upper trapezius, sternocleidomastoid or levator scapulae... then i read the 4 options:

a) Rhomboids
    b) Erector spinae
    c) Sternocleidomastoid
    d) Upper trapezius

FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!

Also i had 2 or 3 questions on pregnant clients, 4 or 5 on NASM policies and professionalism. I was doing horrible on the upward mobility app and passed, so dont be too scared if youre sucking, that app was based on V3, still a good tool though.

DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If I'm squatting down, then my quads are eccentrically decelerating the gluteus medius. is that correct?

I have some difficulty figuring out these terms /w the body parts.
    ***Los Angeles MISC Crew***

***Misc Crypto Crew***

Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by MillerDecaXC View Post
    Passed my exam bros! Thanks for all the help. this thread definitly helped!

Heres some stuff i wish i studied more:

-Planterflexion/dorsaiflexion: I couldnt remember which was which, had 2 questions where i did a 50/50 guess.
    -Exercise names: there were a few questions where i didnt know the names of exercise. I understood all the material and progression of exercise, and i thought id be able to see the exercise names be able to figure out which they were.
    -Reciprical Inhibition: I had like 3 questions where i narrowed it down to this and one other answer... woulda helped if i knew what it was lol.

Also, I remember someone mentioning impossible/trick questions on the test... I had a few of them as well... what the fuk??? Like for example, one was like this:

A client's head protrudes forward on the push/pull assessment, which muscle should be stretched?

So you stretch the overactive muscles, and i memorized the chart on pg 183 So i know the answer is gonna be upper trapezius, sternocleidomastoid or levator scapulae... then i read the 4 options:

a) Rhomboids
    b) Erector spinae
    c) Sternocleidomastoid
    d) Upper trapezius

FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!

Also i had 2 or 3 questions on pregnant clients, 4 or 5 on NASM policies and professionalism. I was doing horrible on the upward mobility app and passed, so dont be too scared if youre sucking, that app was based on V3, still a good tool though.
    Congratulations and Good stuff!

Plantarflexion = toes pointing down
    Dorsiflexion = toes pointing up

reciprocal inhibition is defined as the simultaneous relaxation of one muscle and the contraction of its antagonist.

Trick question = upper trapezius (i believe based on the "static stretch" column in the chart on page 183) The other muscles you mentioned are the "possible overactive muscles", including the upper trapezius.

I am currently studying for this still and your input is helpful! Reps
    Weighed - 281 lbs on 1/1/2012

▪█───────█▪ 6 Weeks to Shred ▪█───────█▪

6-8: 230.4 | 6-15: xxx.x | 6-22: xxx.x | 6-29: xxx.x | | Month Total: x.x lbs
    7-6: xxx.x | 7-13: xxx.x | 7-20: xxx.x || Month Total: 0.0 lbs
    Final Total: xxx.x lbs

~NitrogenWidget's One Year in the Green Crew - Feb 2012-Feb 2013~ = 76 lbs lost

~Army Veteran Crew~

sierraash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

CPT exam

Im taking the CPT exam 3 in a few hours, just doing some last minute review! This forum has been very helpful Will update the outcome later today!!

USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500) USAWchamp is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by sierraash View Post
    Im taking the CPT exam 3 in a few hours, just doing some last minute review! This forum has been very helpful Will update the outcome later today!!
    The NASM exam can't be that hard. It's only 100 questions, right?

maverickTT1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) maverickTT1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) maverickTT1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) maverickTT1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) maverickTT1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) maverickTT1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) maverickTT1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) maverickTT1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) maverickTT1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) maverickTT1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) maverickTT1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I bought just the test. Should I expect something in the mail or should I just go ahead and call them and set up a test date?

Get stronger every day DatdereCT's Avatar
    DatdereCT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatdereCT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatdereCT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatdereCT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatdereCT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatdereCT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatdereCT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatdereCT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatdereCT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatdereCT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatdereCT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by maverickTT1 View Post
    I bought just the test. Should I expect something in the mail or should I just go ahead and call them and set up a test date?
    You have to call the test center and schedule your test date.
    NASM-CPT

Do not let anyone tell you that you cannot accomplish your goals.

SucculentFive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just passed my test yesterday!!!! Thank you for all the help!

The test was actually pretty easy and as i think about it i don't even remember taking the test! This forum is so helpful! Thank you for the help. If you have any questions PM me!

KCTrainerMike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KCTrainerMike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KCTrainerMike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KCTrainerMike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KCTrainerMike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KCTrainerMike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KCTrainerMike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KCTrainerMike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just stopping by to say thanks for all the great posts in here (especially to the OP); it really helped and I passed the test today. I guess my learning style is different than a lot of folks (and I get pretty nervous when I take tests too, which also makes a difference), but it was definitely a challenge for me. Plus my actual line of work is very different than this and the college courses I took for that can't compare to this, either. Apples and oranges. So it meant I had to learn a lot of new concepts and terminology.

I studied the materials inside and out and got to where I could get over 90% on the practice exams, but the actual test for me worded things very differently (and there were a couple of things I'd have to say were even totally unfamiliar to me). The practice exams were good from the standpoint that they got me to reason my way through things in the same way I needed to for the actual test, though. In the end I knew the majority of it thanks to this thread and studying my butt off.

I also worked to learn functional anatomy, which was pretty helpful. Even though I was also familiar with p. 149 (exam 3), because of the wording I really had to think about a couple of those questions for a while and I screwed one of them up. It's also helpful to actually work through and perform all the exercises. You start noticing some tricks that can help you remember things. Like the fact that all the "hops" are power level balance exercises, while all the "jumps" are reactive exercises. All the "throws" and "passes" seem to be in the power level (someone in here mentioned that one, and it really helped me).

I remember things with what might seem like dumb association tricks like "jumping is a REACTION to something, while hopping is more like a kid's game involving BALANCE," and I remember butt kicks by telling myself "if someone jumps out and scares me, I'm going to REACT by kicking their butt." (LOL - it's totally lame, but a butt kick question actually came up for me today and that little trick saved mine (butt that is). I also remembered stuff like if you see shoulders elevating on a client the proper exercise would be ball cobra, by picturing myself with shoulders hunched up like a cobra. There's a ton of stuff like that you can do for the exercises. For the tempos and acute variables, I just had to memorize and try to think of the real world application ... like for power resistance training, the whole goal is to create an explosive lift, so the tempo is naturally going to be as fast and explosive as you can safely do it (or x/x/x) and for stabilization resistance training, the whole goal is to create muscle endurance and so the tempo is going to be a lot slower because you're pushing light loads at high reps (for a count of 4/2/1). And then strength would naturally fall in between the two (2/0/2).

I finished in about an hour, then went back through - and I'm glad I did because I did catch tricky wording in a couple that caused me to switch them to the correct answer. I also goofed up and switched one to the wrong answer too, but I definitely can't win them all. I'd be scared to know just how many I got wrong, but I'm just thankful the ones I got right were enough to get the job done.

Thanks again!!!

KCTrainerMike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KCTrainerMike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KCTrainerMike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KCTrainerMike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KCTrainerMike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KCTrainerMike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KCTrainerMike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KCTrainerMike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    One more thing ... I had the functional anatomy game app and the NASM prep app on my iPad, which was really helpful too. I broke it down into 100 question sessions that I would work through on the study function and wouldn't mark the ones I had trouble with, even after I'd get them right a time or two. That let me keep going back through and doing those again at later times ... by today, I had safely marked all of them as understood. But I wanted to be careful that I wasn't just memorizing, so I wouldn't work them over and over. I would work through, then let days or even a couple weeks pass before doing it again. It also helps to read through the explanations after answering the questions. Thanks for those two app tips too.

OhSoFocus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OhSoFocus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OhSoFocus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OhSoFocus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OhSoFocus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OhSoFocus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OhSoFocus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OhSoFocus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OhSoFocus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OhSoFocus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OhSoFocus is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Talking

Passed my NASM CPT4 Saturday!! Thatfeeling

Some things that help:

-This thread! Shout out to Bro_Results
    -Bradster101190 for the study guide thread
    -And everyone else who's been chiming in on this particular thread

***UPWARDMOBILITY NASM****<--- Download this app!! The questions are worded pretty damn close to the actual exam, nice and tricky (most of em anyway)

***-Muscle System Pro III by 3d mechanical- This app is AMAAAAAZING. Coming from an eletroMech field, learning anatomy was not easy for me, landslide. This app helped a **** ton and I plan on using it a lot more as I get back to into school. Very functional, very detailed and descriptive, has pics, short clips, etc. This app helped me truly understand/visualize how and why the over/under-active muscles were. Worth every penny.

-NasmChallenge- Pretty good/fun app to kill time between study, questions resembles practice exam.

My exam was 120 questions/140 mins to answer the question above.

A lot of **assessment questions, OPT (*overview and in-depth), Professionalism, few bio-energetic stuff, I'd say those where bulk of it all.

Submerge yourself, learn it to where you can teach it and your good
    Health, Wealth, and Knowledge Itself.

-!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #3 -!!!---!!!-

titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Got my ACE Personal Trainer Certification last month. Signed up to take NASM exam on the 20th this month. Pretty quick turn around, I know, but I believe I can do it. A friend and I switched study materials(ACE and NASM) so we could get a cert in the other. Just got offered a job at a 24 hour fitness and they told me that it'd be better for me to be hired after passing NASM since they'd have to pay me more. That's definitely a little more motivation. Just thanking everyone who posted in this thread and I will be studying diligently until the 20th.
    Something clever and deep.

NASM Certified Personal Trainer
    ACE Personal Trainer Certification
    TRX

Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Got my NASM CPT v4 ordered and taken within a couple weeks. Passed it no problem thankfully

Lots of program design and a lot more involving special cases than they had claimed. Beware

DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Kataz View Post
    Got my NASM CPT v4 ordered and taken within a couple weeks. Passed it no problem thankfully

Lots of program design and a lot more involving special cases than they had claimed. Beware
    Originally Posted by Kataz View Post

Nice. I will look into that.

I took a practice test and it asked this kind of question:

Q.4) What is the appropriate finishing position for a 'rotation chest pass'?

A. triple flexion
    B. double flexion (Your Answer)
    C. triple extension (Correct Answer)
    D. double extension

What section in CPT4 covers this?
    ***Los Angeles MISC Crew***

***Misc Crypto Crew***

Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by DavidL913 View Post
    Nice. I will look into that.

I took a practice test and it asked this kind of question:

Q.4) What is the appropriate finishing position for a 'rotation chest pass'?

A. triple flexion
    B. double flexion (Your Answer)
    C. triple extension (Correct Answer)
    D. double extension

What section in CPT4 covers this?
    In the 4th Edition it is covered in Section 2 (Assessments, Training Concepts, and Program Design) Chapter 13, Page 308. Rotation Chest Pass. Under Movement Line 4. As body turns, pivot back leg and allow it to go into triple extension (plantarflexion, Knee extension, and hip extension).

~Army Veteran Crew~

Registered Physiologist Goose102's Avatar
    Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Took the test this morning at about 8:00 am. I easily dominated it! It may be because I'm an exercise science major though.

I did not find the test very challenging. I'm about to look into the CES now, but if you guys need some advice, let me know!

Oh, and PS., I probably had nearly 10-12 special population questions. So I would actually start reading that chapter haha
    B.S. Exercise Physiology
    NASM-CPT
    MMA Brah

Originally Posted by Goose102 View Post
    Took the test this morning at about 8:00 am. I easily dominated it! It may be because I'm an exercise science major though.

I did not find the test very challenging. I'm about to look into the CES now, but if you guys need some advice, let me know!

Oh, and PS., I probably had nearly 10-12 special population questions. So I would actually start reading that chapter haha
    Thanks for the heads up! I am in finals week for this semester and once done I plan to hit the book really hard and hopefully take the test before next semester starts in mid Jan 2013.

~Army Veteran Crew~

Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Skullster View Post
    Thanks for the heads up! I am in finals week for this semester and once done I plan to hit the book really hard and hopefully take the test before next semester starts in mid Jan 2013.
    Not a problem. If you have any specific questions on what to study, or don't understand something, just ask!

Count me in on helping with this thread!

EDIT: Just made this post in another thread:

I myself, am a student of exercise science. I took (and very easily passed) the NASM-CPT4 this morning. Here's a quick outline of my experience:

I bought the package from the website that included the book (newest version--which is honestly one of the Best textbooks I've owned), the NASM eLearning Center (online videos with activities), as well as the actual exam.

The online study material helps a lot, especially if you're more of a hands-on learner. They have lots of examples of certain things within the videos. And the activities are extremely helpful (especially with learning the different muscular imbalances and compensations).

Studying Section 1.) Fundamentals of Human Movement Science (Includes Chapters 1-5 in the version 4 book):

You're best with Section 1 is to go through all 5 chapters, making note cards on ALL vocabulary. With you being a student of exercise science, this will be the easy part. I already new the chapters fairly well, but would have been in bad shape without the review.

The main things to learn from this section are:

Ch. 1- The Phases of Training of the OPT model (pg's 9-14). Know the goals/training strategies of all 5 phases (This is a big one).

Ch. 2- Basic Exercise Science- Be familiar with all the definitions/concepts, muscle fiber types, and muscles as movers.
    On my exam, I had zero questions about bones/joint types/(maybe one question about the nervous system).

Ch. 3- This is an important chapter. Know all about the Heart (Left and Right Atrium/Left and Right Ventricles). The vocab in this chapter was all over my exam. Learn/memorize it all. Know table 3.2 - Structures of the respiratory pump.

Ch. 4- Know the 3 metabolic pathways in which cells generate ATP (ATP-PC, Glycolysis, Oxidative system). Know about EPOC (the last ? on my exam was about EPOC).

Ch. 5- This is a Huge chapter. To pass this exam, you must be familiar with all of the planes of motion(sagittal, frontal, and transverse), Axes, and joint motion (fig 5.4-5.7). Know about Muscle Actions, Muscle Synergies, and Force-Couple Relationships.

Section 2.) Assessments, Training Concepts, and Program Design (Most questions will come from this section):

Ch. 6- Know this Chapter inside and out. There were literally 1-2 questions from each heading of this chapter. The posture and movement assessments are key to passing the exam. Know everything about the pushing/pulling assessments, and know (in detail) the performance assessments.

Ch. 7- First learn all definitions. Then go back and attempt to understand them more thoroughly by reading about them. Know all about muscle spindle and GTO interactions. Know the Flexibility Continuum in combination with what types of stretching to use at each of the 5 phases of the OPT model. And the biggest thing from ch. 7 is Pg. 183 (Table 7.6). Know literally every part of this table. It WILL be on the test. To make this table easier to understand, I would try learning the isolated function of each muscle (which can be found in the back of the book). You should learn these anyway, being a personal trainer and all.

Ch. 8- Again, know all definitions. Know the benefits of cardiorespiratory fitness. Know all about the warm-up, conditioning, and cool-down phases. Know the FITTE principle and Know table 8.6 - General Aerobic Activity Recommendations. The biggest part of this chapter are the stages of training (1-3), and all 3 training zones and their variables. Also, read over circuit training. It was on my exam.

Ch. 9- The biggest thing coming from this chapter were the actual core exercise (look at the pictures in this chapter). Learn which exercises are performed at which phase of the OPT model, as well as the details about "preparation" and the actual "movement" of each exercise. Also, know about the core musculature (all 3 of the systems - Local, Global, and Movement). As well as proper form and regressions/progressions of the exercises.

Ch. 10- Know the concepts of Balance training (What is the importance of balance training?). And just as wit Ch. 9, learn which balance exercises are performed at each stage of the OPT model.

Ch. 11- ^Same as above^.

Ch. 12- The definitions in this chapter are important. Learn them. Also, know which SAQ drills are performed for the different populations.

Ch. 13- This was an important chapter as well. I would literally learn everything about this chapter. I didn't have any actual questions about the General Adaptation Syndrome on my exam, but as a P.T., you should know it! Know (inside and out) all resistance training exercises at each phase, as well as proper form and regressions/progressions.

Ch. 14- Know the Acute Variables. I guarantee you won't pass this exam unless you learn and memorize all of the acute variables at each phase of training. Know the Progression continuum. *Know tables 14.7-14.9.

Ch. 15- There wasn't too much on my exam in this chapter, but there's still plenty of good info to learn. I would definitely still look over it, making note cards on the important things.

Ch. 16- I had quite a few questions about pregnant women, as well as a few regarding the training of the youth population.

Ch. 17- Nutrition was a biggie. Know all about protein/carbs/fat. Digestion and utilization was important. Everyone says to know the essential and nonessential amino acids, but they weren't on my exam. Know the recommended macro-nutrient intake levels, as well as the amount of water you should consume daily.

Ch. 18- Know all definitions and read over the chapter. There's lots of good info to learn in this chapter.

Ch. 19- Know the Stages of Change, The Initial Session, and the Importance of Effective Communication. I would read and make note cards on everything for those 3 topics. Know about the common barriers to exercise. I also remember having 1 or 2 questions about Strategies to Enhance Exercise Adherence.

Ch. 20- I only remember having one question from the info presented in this chapter. It was actually mentioned in the "How to be overprepared for the NASM" thread. It dealt with the Ten Steps to Success. I would look over those. Be sure you know it!

The exercise library in the back of the book is a great tool when trying to learn what exercises are performed at what phase.

All in all, I felt under-prepared going into the exam, but came out feeling like I over-prepared.

Just knock it out, chapter by chapter. They tend to become cumulative in a way, so it does get easier with time.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Goose102; 12-11-2012 at 05:56 PM.
    B.S. Exercise Physiology
    NASM-CPT
    MMA Brah

maverickTT1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) maverickTT1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) maverickTT1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) maverickTT1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) maverickTT1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) maverickTT1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) maverickTT1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) maverickTT1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) maverickTT1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) maverickTT1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) maverickTT1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I passed! Took it this morning!!!

What really helped me study was the attached file and the NASM Upward mobility app! I also ripped pg. 169 and carried it with me everywhere, lol.

A lot of questions on exercises and flexibility. Ill post everything i remember soon, too excited right now!
    Attached Files

AxATexas is on a distinguished road. (+10) AxATexas is on a distinguished road. (+10) AxATexas is on a distinguished road. (+10) AxATexas is on a distinguished road. (+10) AxATexas is on a distinguished road. (+10) AxATexas is on a distinguished road. (+10) AxATexas is on a distinguished road. (+10) AxATexas is on a distinguished road. (+10) AxATexas is on a distinguished road. (+10) AxATexas is on a distinguished road. (+10) AxATexas is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am looking to get started. I saw the textbook on amazon is only 60$. Is there any benefit to ordering the bundle online over just getting the textbook on amazon and signing up for the test when I'm ready? Maybe the online addition is the only thing I'm seeing.

titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Not a problem. If you have any specific questions on what to study, or don't understand something, just ask!

I myself, am a student of exercise science. I took (and very easily passed) the NASM-CPT4 this morning. Here's a quick outline of my experience:

I bought the package from the website that included the book (newest version--which is honestly one of the Best textbooks I've owned), the NASM eLearning Center (online videos with activities), as well as the actual exam.

The online study material helps a lot, especially if you're more of a hands-on learner. They have lots of examples of certain things within the videos. And the activities are extremely helpful (especially with learning the different muscular imbalances and compensations).

Studying Section 1.) Fundamentals of Human Movement Science (Includes Chapters 1-5 in the version 4 book):

You're best with Section 1 is to go through all 5 chapters, making note cards on ALL vocabulary. With you being a student of exercise science, this will be the easy part. I already new the chapters fairly well, but would have been in bad shape without the review.

Ch. 1- The Phases of Training of the OPT model (pg's 9-14). Know the goals/training strategies of all 5 phases (This is a big one).

Ch. 2- Basic Exercise Science- Be familiar with all the definitions/concepts, muscle fiber types, and muscles as movers.
    On my exam, I had zero questions about bones/joint types/(maybe one question about the nervous system).

Ch. 3- This is an important chapter. Know all about the Heart (Left and Right Atrium/Left and Right Ventricles). The vocab in this chapter was all over my exam. Learn/memorize it all. Know table 3.2 - Structures of the respiratory pump.

Ch. 4- Know the 3 metabolic pathways in which cells generate ATP (ATP-PC, Glycolysis, Oxidative system). Know about EPOC (the last ? on my exam was about EPOC).

Ch. 5- This is a Huge chapter. To pass this exam, you must be familiar with all of the planes of motion(sagittal, frontal, and transverse), Axes, and joint motion (fig 5.4-5.7). Know about Muscle Actions, Muscle Synergies, and Force-Couple Relationships.

Section 2.) Assessments, Training Concepts, and Program Design (Most questions will come from this section):

Ch. 6- Know this Chapter inside and out. There were literally 1-2 questions from each heading of this chapter. The posture and movement assessments are key to passing the exam. Know everything about the pushing/pulling assessments, and know (in detail) the performance assessments.

Ch. 7- First learn all definitions. Then go back and attempt to understand them more thoroughly by reading about them. Know all about muscle spindle and GTO interactions. Know the Flexibility Continuum in combination with what types of stretching to use at each of the 5 phases of the OPT model. And the biggest thing from ch. 7 is Pg. 183 (Table 7.6). Know literally every part of this table. It WILL be on the test. To make this table easier to understand, I would try learning the isolated function of each muscle (which can be found in the back of the book). You should learn these anyway, being a personal trainer and all.

Ch. 8- Again, know all definitions. Know the benefits of cardiorespiratory fitness. Know all about the warm-up, conditioning, and cool-down phases. Know the FITTE principle and Know table 8.6 - General Aerobic Activity Recommendations. The biggest part of this chapter are the stages of training (1-3), and all 3 training zones and their variables. Also, read over circuit training. It was on my exam.

Ch. 9- The biggest thing coming from this chapter were the actual core exercise (look at the pictures in this chapter). Learn which exercises are performed at which phase of the OPT model, as well as the details about "preparation" and the actual "movement" of each exercise. Also, know about the core musculature (all 3 of the systems - Local, Global, and Movement). As well as proper form and regressions/progressions of the exercises.

Ch. 10- Know the concepts of Balance training (What is the importance of balance training?). And just as wit Ch. 9, learn which balance exercises are performed at each stage of the OPT model.

Ch. 11- ^Same as above^.

Ch. 12- The definitions in this chapter are important. Learn them. Also, know which SAQ drills are performed for the different populations.

Ch. 13- This was an important chapter as well. I would literally learn everything about this chapter. I didn't have any actual questions about the General Adaptation Syndrome on my exam, but as a P.T., you should know it! Know (inside and out) all resistance training exercises at each phase, as well as proper form and regressions/progressions.

Ch. 14- Know the Acute Variables. I guarantee you won't pass this exam unless you learn and memorize all of the acute variables at each phase of training. Know the Progression continuum. *Know tables 14.7-14.9.

Ch. 15- There wasn't too much on my exam in this chapter, but there's still plenty of good info to learn. I would definitely still look over it, making note cards on the important things.

Ch. 16- I had quite a few questions about pregnant women, as well as a few regarding the training of the youth population.

Ch. 17- Nutrition was a biggie. Know all about protein/carbs/fat. Digestion and utilization was important. Everyone says to know the essential and nonessential amino acids, but they weren't on my exam. Know the recommended macro-nutrient intake levels, as well as the amount of water you should consume daily.

Ch. 18- Know all definitions and read over the chapter. There's lots of good info to learn in this chapter.

Ch. 19- Know the Stages of Change, The Initial Session, and the Importance of Effective Communication. I would read and make note cards on everything for those 3 topics. Know about the common barriers to exercise. I also remember having 1 or 2 questions about Strategies to Enhance Exercise Adherence.

Ch. 20- I only remember having one question from the info presented in this chapter. It was actually mentioned in the "How to be overprepared for the NASM" thread. It dealt with the Ten Steps to Success. I would look over those. Be sure you know it!

The exercise library in the back of the book is a great tool when trying to learn what exercises are performed at what phase.

All in all, I felt under-prepared going into the exam, but came out feeling like I over-prepared.

Just knock it out, chapter by chapter. They tend to become cumulative in a way, so it does get easier with time.

Good luck!

A BIG thank you to you bro! I passed my test this morning. I got the book on the 5th of this month and skimmed over it. I then reviewed everything you broke down and I passed. Had a faulty computer that skipped 3 questions at a time and/or didn't select answers I checked. Went through all 120 questions twice and so glad I did. I found at least 5 questions I marked wrong by not paying attention to the clever trickery in the wording. I then went to fill out my paperwork at 24 hour fitness as a level 2 trainer. Thanks again.

TRX

Originally Posted by titusricard View Post
    A BIG thank you to you bro! I passed my test this morning. I got the book on the 5th of this month and skimmed over it. I then reviewed everything you broke down and I passed. Had a faulty computer that skipped 3 questions at a time and/or didn't select answers I checked. Went through all 120 questions twice and so glad I did. I found at least 5 questions I marked wrong by not paying attention to the clever trickery in the wording. I then went to fill out my paperwork at 24 hour fitness as a level 2 trainer. Thanks again.
    Not a problem!

Did you get the job?

Congratulations on passing the exam!
    B.S. Exercise Physiology
    NASM-CPT
    MMA Brah

Not a problem!

Did you get the job?

Congratulations on passing the exam!
    Yeah, they were gonna hire me when I interviewed weeks ago. They told me if I came in with 2 certs, I'd be a level 2 trainer.

TRX

adairtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) adairtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) adairtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) adairtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) adairtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) adairtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) adairtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) adairtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) adairtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) adairtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) adairtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    this thread is amazing! thanks for all the info

buchholz02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buchholz02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buchholz02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buchholz02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buchholz02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buchholz02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buchholz02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buchholz02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Ch. 11- ^Same as above^.

Good luck!
    I passed my exam this morning and thank you and others on here for your help!

theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Great info in this thread. I passed the NASM exam yesterday!

A lot of people are saying that the exam was super easy; however, I would have to disagree. I'm sure it's a breeze for people with degrees/training in exercise physiology, biomechanics, etc. If you're like me, though, and have no educational background in this, you'll probably want to approach this as if it's the hardest thing you've ever done and study hard.

KMannCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KMannCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KMannCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KMannCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KMannCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KMannCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KMannCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KMannCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KMannCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Why was the OP banned?

Charlie581 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie581 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie581 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie581 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie581 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie581 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie581 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie581 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie581 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie581 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie581 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just purchased the book through Amazon, have the UpwardMobility app (have not bought the exam yet) and i wanted to not have a time limit on studying. Anything else that would be beneficial in using for prep for the test?

DGetsCut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Charlie581 View Post
    Just purchased the book through Amazon, have the UpwardMobility app (have not bought the exam yet) and i wanted to not have a time limit on studying. Anything else that would be beneficial in using for prep for the test?
    I found simple flashcards really helpful, for numbers and stats facts I needed to memorize. I would make them up almost daily and keep mixing in new ones. Just a few minutes of flashcard drills, several times a day (like during workouts), puts you at a huge advantage.