View Poll Results: Was I helpful to you on passing the NASM?

Voters
226. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

210 92.92%
  • No

16 7.08%
Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1283
    Javi49er has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lightbulb Help please !

Hey what's going on bro
    I'm having a hard time getting chapter 2 down I've already spent 3 days trying to really get a grasp on and I was just wondering if it had a big part to do in the test or is it just information I can look over but not really stress so hard over it?

tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Just finished reading my textbook (took me about 3 weeks). It was a lot to take in. Now my plan is to go back and read through again and focus on chapters that I am struggling with (fitness assessment, anatomy, ect). For now I am watching all the videos online and doing the activities. Will keep you guys posted on my progress. I plan to take the test in mid August so I still have a lot of time. Thanks for this thread.
    *Positive Crew*
    315B / 345S / 435D
    Lifting since May 2013.

drangel254 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drangel254 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drangel254 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drangel254 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drangel254 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drangel254 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drangel254 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drangel254 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drangel254 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drangel254 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drangel254 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Just passed my cpt exam a day ago.

Little background previously passed cpt version 3 about 3 years ago and needed to recertify for new job. So basically had to reprogram the details in about a week. I was pretty nervous bc I wasn't gonna buy the new book.

Overall fitness assessment was big as expected. Special populations and elderly clients also bigger than I remember, lastly the accronyms. I noticed the new changes of mood theory had about 3-5 questions. Read and scampi showed. Also the personal conduct came up regarding finances etc.

Lot easier then I built it up to be. I was glad I was just prepared. Upward mobility app was a blessing also bought two practice exams the night before and that gave me the insight into the changes of mood theory which was big.
    NASM Certified

NightLife Is MyLife CoolBoyyBeatz's Avatar
    CoolBoyyBeatz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CoolBoyyBeatz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CoolBoyyBeatz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CoolBoyyBeatz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CoolBoyyBeatz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CoolBoyyBeatz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CoolBoyyBeatz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CoolBoyyBeatz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CoolBoyyBeatz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CoolBoyyBeatz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CoolBoyyBeatz is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I took my test this morning and failed by 5 points I didn't study properly and relied on the practice test on nasm.org and the upwward mobility app to get me through but I guess it didn't work. I'm going to re take the test in about 2-3 weeks or so to brush up on the things I missed.
    Military Minded

USMC Officer (Tentitve January 2019)

Misc Approaches

Retired POF King

wademan86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Bradster101190 View Post
    Here we go!

First off the main thing to remember when studying the NASM test is comprehension , not memorization, why MEMORIZE when you can comprehend sometimes faster.

HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN YOU ARE READY?
    The best way to know you are fully ready for the NASM exam is this simple test...study for one week , take notes on everything you can, draw diagrams, act out any movement and make mental notes then when you believe you are truly ready have someone quiz you on the questions at the end of every chapter, make sure you get atl east 90% of these correct, then take ONE practice exam and make sure you score at least a 90% on that as well. And if you miss a question , do NOT memorize the question , they will NOT be worded the same. COMPREHEND the material. If I get this question....

On the Pulling assesment what tempo should be used?

-4/2/1
    -x/x/x
    -2/0/2
    /1/1/1

And I GUESS 4/2/1 because that sounds good, im WRONG, why? Because it is 2/02, so then the exam will say no it is 2/02 and you will say COOL ILL MEMORIZE THAT. No... go back and read the assessment section of the book especially involving pushing and pulling assessments , how else will you know you need to also do 20 reps at that 2/0/2 tempo?

It is little things like that , which you just COMPLETELY forget to study , and trust me it happens to all of us , maybe your girlfriend called you or something fell over and you overlooked that assessment. Which reminds me , study in a relaxing environment with very little distractions.

Another way to know you can ensure your ready is read the book again..( skip special populations if you want it only has 2 questions usually ) If you don't totally remember something make a note card of it. I did this and had 30 or so notecards , well that's 30 new things I learnt.

ACUTE VARIABLES
    The acute variables is what i consider the hardest part, but at the same time the easiest. Learn the main variables for Stabilization,Strength and Power and you should know enough of this it wont kill you, otherwise your going to have to learn all 5 phase adpations, core training, power training adaptions ect. I learned all of them but all I needed was the core 3 and common sense wuch as this question....

In stage 3 hypertrophy training How many repetitions are performed?

1-5
    2-6
    8-12
    12-16

Well common sense says hypertrophy(phase 3) is part of the strength "block" and from a little weightlifting experience you should remember 8-12

THE DREADED PAGE 169

If you read around 80% of people say MEMORIZE 169, well I say don't. I probably have looked at page 169 less then 10 minutes but can still tell you the entire chart. How? I learned functional anatomy, yes functional anatomy,,pages 68-86 that no one ever reads because its too much information. and I agree it is too much information, becuase it repeats itself over and over and over....This is how I learnt those pages and therefore fully understood overactive and under active muscles with no memorization.

First all you need to know is each muscles isolated function and whats even better is you can GROUP THEM..this basically gets all those pages.Allso remember to walk all these out so it will stick much faster, you can learn them in 2-3 days.

---------------------------------------------------------
    Hamstring group -Accelerates knee flexion and hip extension..( Grouped them all together instead of learning every little muscle)

Quadricep Group-Knee Extension and Hip Flexion( grouped them as well)

Gluteus Maximus -hip extension and external rotation

Latissimus Dorsi-Shoulder extension, abduction and internal rotation

Rhomboids-Scapular retraction and downward rotation.

Biceps Brachi-Elbow flexion , shoulder flexion and supination of radioulnar joint

Triceps-Elbow and shoulder extension

Serratus Anterior- Scapular Protraction

Solues and Gastrocnemius-Plantarflexion

Rectus Abdominis- Spinal flexion, lateral flexion and rotation

------------------------------------------------------------

FREE QUESTIONS

These questions are on 70% of tests.

What is the inner most layer of muscle?
    ANWSER Endomysium

How much water is recommended per day?
    ANWSER :96 ounces, 3 quarts or 8-12 cups.

How many calories are in 1 gram of protein/carbohydrate/fat?
    4/4/9

A person who's pants are higher in the back than in the front displays?
    Anterior Pellvic tilt

When taking the pulse the diastolic pulse is heard when?
    It begins to fade.

Remember people react to you based on 55% physiology , 38% tone of voice and 7% words.

COOL APPLICATIONS FOR YOUR PHONE
    -----------------------------------------------
    Speed Anatomy- its free and will teach you anatomy very fast since you have fun the whole time.

NASM - its available in the android market and has questions right of the exam. I went overboard with this to where I could take all 400 questions and make a 95%+....dont study it that hard , I dont even recommend taking tests on it use its study mode , it will ask you and then EXPLAIN 400 questions , which is invaluable.
    I used your suggestions back in 2012 and they made all the difference. Keep this post alive!

jammasta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I registered for the test last year, but due to a family death and other logistical difficulties I ended up letting it expire, so I had to grab the 90-day retest. There was some weird snafu after I purchased the test, they said I'd be able to register within 24 hours and it's been 3 business days... I really want to take it ASAP. Hopefully next week at the latest, but if earlier than that, I'm going for it. There are a few concepts I could stand to hammer down.

I know the overactive/underactive muscles with near 100% accuracy, and I'm constantly scoring 90%+ on my practice tests. I took the one practice test I did not memorize very well (I have a near photographic memory... One of the flaws of this is that I remember the practice tests too easily and sometime skip comprehension).

I have a degree in Exercise Science, but even then it seems like a lot of gyms still like a certification. My education was more sport science based, although I really want to personal train, so I found the NASM book very helpful and I can see why the certification is highly desired. Some of the chapters were review, however, so they were easy. I hear chapter 5 is very important, and it was a lot of review other than force-couples so I was extremely happy with that.

Do READ/SCAMPI still appear on the tests? I did not catch them in the 4th edition of the book. The study guide also notes medications, are there a lot of questions on those?

I have the PocketPrep app. I admit I've taken too many practice tests, but I am comprehending the material as well, flagging questions I don't quite get, then trying to comprehend them. The only issue is that the pages where they cite the information aren't the same as in the textbook.
    Last edited by jammasta; 06-23-2015 at 08:24 PM.

jammasta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just took it and I passed! It took about 30 minutes. I went through each question carefully, tried looking at the question before even glancing at the answers. I ended up marking about 20 I was unsure of, but most of them I had a pretty good idea. I studied meticulously this month, during hour lunches at work and during breaks. Having a degree in Exercise Science helped (although I think I did that kind of backwards, and some people get by on just a degree... I thought the NASM test did better for me for actually training people, though). This thread was very helpful. Thank you!!!!

I admit it kind of feels redundant to have both a bachelor's in Exercise Science and the NASM-CPT, but I actually learned more valuable things through NASM, honestly.

I can't say much that hasn't already been said. Pay attention to the questions, study hard, you'll do fine. I definitely overprepared myself, but not in a bad way.

earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Finished the 220-odd videos through the CPT-4 course last week. Been taking practice tests through the PocketPrep App and the AccelPrep (for NASM CPT) App. I thik the AccelPrep app is better as it links directly to latest textbook, whereas the Pocketprep app seems a bit out of date (e.g. page references are off and asking questions about insertions points- which I BELIEVE we don't need to learn for the latest test...right?!) I consistently score about 70% on both when I take full 100-question practice tests. I still have a few muscle isolated functions to learn as well as memorizing dreaded table on over/underactive muscles.

Im pondering a complete read of the textbook. Previously, I just relied on instruction videos and practice tests...

Am I ready? haha!

kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by vDa View Post
    This thread helped me alot too, make sure to read it especially the notes on the first page!!! Everything was spot on. I got like 5 questions on my test from PAGE 1 of this thread (the ones about the calories of protein/fats, pushing/pulling, Inner layer of muscle, and How people react to you 55% on physiology).

THERE WERE ABOUT 2-3 QUESTIONS ON CODE OF CONDUCT/ETHICS which can be found on the very beggining pages V and Vi-Vii. There were questions about record keeping, and about ethics.

Heres what I remember (some of it already stated in thread just going over it)

Alot of questions were on the Postural Distortion Patterns and quiet of few on inhibition.
    Make sure to know READ, FITTE, etc
    Also a good amount of questions were about the overactive/underactive muscles.
    ALOT of questions were on exercises (know what type of exercises are for core/power etc etc)
    Also know the exercises progressions/regressions.
    I think there was like one question about the muscles in general, and their isolated function.
    Quiet a few questions from the last two chapters of the book (Lifestyle modification/developing your succesful business)
    And the rest were just random questions from different chapters and what not.

Anyway thats just what I remember, the test was pretty hard in my opinion, MAKE SURE to read the QUESTION TWICE before entering an answer, because alot of them are tricky.

Thats just my experience to add, of course tests might be different but I think some of the material is definitely on every test...
    Took my test today and passed. I agree with the above!!! I focused on anatomy, it was unnecessary. Very few questions about that. Maybe a couple about the heart/chambers. I found the exam to really be more about exercise science and program design, along with nutrition, and some questions thrown in about business practice/ethics/etc.. Know your OPT as well as READ. 4-5 questions on those.

Definitely read each question carefully - the wording can be interesting and throw you off. You can definitely always eliminate 2 of the 4 answers. But then the other two are meant to confuse you - like for example I knew it was gluteus but then I couldn't remember if it was gluteus maximus or medius and of course those were both there. So you really need to know the difference. Don't just memorize one of the words.

Side note I only really studied for 1 week - I had mostly read/perused the book months ago, but last week I started cramming 3-4 hours a day every day and I did fine. There were about 5 questions directly from the NASM practice exam, so take that and ace it. There were a few "gimme" questions from this thread as well.

Oh and one more thing that helped me, I bought 30-days of the practice exams on medpreps dot com. I think those were very helpful with concepts from the exam.
    Karen

chase8oliver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I took the NASM test a few years ago. Honestly, it was one of the most challenging tests I've taken even from courses I took in college. From what I remember you absolutely need to know your muscle groups (the bone structures were completely omitted from the test). DO NOT skip any chapters. Oh, and the practice test? There MIGHT be two or three questions on the actual test. Pay very close attention to the wording of the questions too. Frankly, sometimes the answer was right there in the question!..if you do fail the first time taking the test (took me 2 tries) the good thing at the very least is the questions are exactly the same the next go around. According to some friends of mine it's still being conducted that way. Try to remember questions you were really stumped on if you happen to fail...I studied for that damn test almost 6 months. Lol. I don't know how some of these other folks got it done in less than 3. I salute you guys.

AresDX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by kinesistrax View Post
    Thanks! this will help out a lot... If you don't have this yet, you should get it. It's much more then just the flashcards, it has quizzes and other features as well...
    anyone have a link to this stuff?

danielmarcoulis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So I'm definitely on a tad crunch making sure I become successful in this test by the end of next month because my college courses begin for the fall, plus I couldn't be more electrified by the idea of not working in a restaurant and somewhere I'm already at 5 days a week as is.

However, I've gone through every assessment while taking notes down. Starting to feel a bit of the pressure mounting on whether or not I'm going to blunder this exam. My question to you gents are, I've seen quite a bit of talk regarding chapters 4, 5, and 12. Frankly, those aren't my weak spots. But chapter 2 on the other hand, is proving to be a bit of a task seeing as the study guide recommends memorization of every term in that chapter. So that said, off the top of anyone's head, did anyone come across much of terminologies from this chapter?

AresDX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by danielmarcoulis View Post
    So I'm definitely on a tad crunch making sure I become successful in this test by the end of next month because my college courses begin for the fall, plus I couldn't be more electrified by the idea of not working in a restaurant and somewhere I'm already at 5 days a week as is.

However, I've gone through every assessment while taking notes down. Starting to feel a bit of the pressure mounting on whether or not I'm going to blunder this exam. My question to you gents are, I've seen quite a bit of talk regarding chapters 4, 5, and 12. Frankly, those aren't my weak spots. But chapter 2 on the other hand, is proving to be a bit of a task seeing as the study guide recommends memorization of every term in that chapter. So that said, off the top of anyone's head, did anyone come across much of terminologies from this chapter?
    took it today and passed. several questions on assessment including OH squat, ATP-PC. a couple questions on specifities (Mechanical, Metabolic, Neuromuscular) caught me off guard. lots of easy questions if you read through the book and do the practice exams.
    several questions from chapter 2, make sure you know that stuff. I'd say probably 10-15 questions from that chapter.

leruleafit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Thank you so much for this Thread!

Thank you!
    Took my NASM CPT yesterday & passed.
    Was so panicked at the beginning. I couldn't concentrate on the essence of the question. It was like omgg I don't remember reading this but then I relaxed took a deep breath and re-read each question and it went well.
    In my case the android Nasm CPT pocketprep helped a lot! It's worth $6.99 it has a total of 500 questions to practice! And I had 15+ similar questions on my exam.
    Also, I would recommend purchasing at least one prep exam from Nasm (I took the prep exam C) it's around $20.
    Good luck!

EddieFM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This information is awesome! I used Fitness Mentors . com's study guide and it was legit. Took all the guess work out of what to study. I highly recommend it.

I think most of this information in the beginning of the thread is geared toward the older tests. They have changed a lot.

Thanks Again for posting!

danielmarcoulis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    These practice tests are what's giving me a great deal of anxiety. It's so hit or miss on my scores, especially with the pocketprep app. Heaven forbid I have to retake the actual exam again. My exam is on the 20th and I've been putting in around 2 hours of studying a day up until my armageddon - I mean exam date. As far as those who've recently taken it. Any advice on what to expect as far as Cardiorespiratory System pertains?

earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Passed my exam yesterday! SO happy!!

Couple of tips from me- the questions are phrased in ways which the pocketprep apps and others don't prepare you for. The key really is UNDERSTANDING the material and TRANSLATING the question/knowing what it is really asking.

I also noticed that, of the 4 options, 2 would almost always be similar. I was left torn between them on many occasions. A good example:

Which number represents a typical systolic value regarding blood pressure? a) 120 b) 40 c) 80 d) 170.

Clearly b) and d) can be disregarded, leaving 120 or 80. Then I had a brain fart..."is Systolic the top or bottom number, as both numbers are involved in Blood pressure readings!?" Luckily I came to my senses and remembered. I guess what I'm trying to say is KNOW YOUR STUFF!

alohaFITMAMA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    where are you guys going to watch the videos? Was it part of the package you bought. I bought the self learn, the second cheapest packet because I'm a read and write type of learner, but I keep seeing people talking about videos.

When ever I log into my e-courses online, I only have my online flashcards, and practice quizzes.

Mahalo!

tonyjworld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey everyone!

I took my test last Saturday on the 8th and I PASSED!

I was stressing because I had miscalculated my expiration/180 days and I thought I had until end of August. But then I luckily double checked at the beginning of last week and my expiration date was August 8th! I was lucky to schedule my exam on the 8th at noon.

Needless to say, I had to dive in for the next four days and get my studying done.

I had taken the e-Teach course, which was super helpful. I read the entire book, except the Supplementation chapter. I skimmed it. But I did end up going back into it while I was studying.

I got the Fitness Mentors study guide and basically wrote out my own 17 page document that answered all of the points on their study guide. I memorized the acute variables for resistance training in all stages and also the under/overactive muslces for each of the assessments.

I studied off of my document (based off the Fitness Mentors study guide) and went back into the book for the assessmenet charts and also Page 169 to learn the various stretches for the overactive muscles.

The test was pretty easy. There are questions that are exactly like the practice exams and ones that you will know the answers to immediately. Answer those first. Mark the ones you don't know right away or have to think about and go back to those. The questions in regards to assessments are worded differently so make sure you read the questions carefully before you mark the answers.

I remember questions about Obese Client considerations, Pregnant client, and Hypertensive clients being on there.

There are also questions that are 'research' questions. You'll know which ones those are. I remember there being one about an audio cue for someone doing a Barbell Snatch/Clean & Jerk, which isn't something discussed in the book.

Again, the doc that I wrote out based on the Fitness Mentors study guide saved me and gave me everything I really needed to focus on for the exam.

I'm looking forward to implementing the OPT model and building programs for my clients!

Good luck EVERYONE!

hypermance has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BabyMuscles View Post
    5 star thread.
    good

tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Test was hard as **** man, but I PASSED!!!! I can give you insight of what's going to be on it. Things you need to have 100% down:

The stages of the OPT model and how to progress a client through them

ACUTE VARIABLES!

The fitness assessments and when / who to use them on

The OHS assessment

What exercises are in what levels of the OPT model... for example they will say which one of the following is a balance - stabilization exercise? and you will have to pick.

How to take caliper measurements, how to read blood pressure, which number is diastolic and systolic.

Specificity - metabolic, neuromuscular, ect

THE DIFFERENT KINDS OF STRETCHING / WARM- UPS - THERE WERE LIKE 10 QUESTIONS ON THIS
    (corrective , active, functional, SMR)

How to train obese and elderly clients

Chapters 19 & 20, smart goals, ect.

Things they don't talk about much!! -

The science from the first few chapters. There were maybe 5 questions on that....

SAQ training

GOOD LUCK
    *Positive Crew*
    315B / 345S / 435D
    Lifting since May 2013.

tazdog36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Test friday

I am taking test Friday and I am so nervous any suggestions on how and what to study

MandyHend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Passed my NASM CPT 4 Exam on Friday 9/4/15!! First Try!!!
    I used this thread to help me study so I feel like I should contribute

I studied A LOT for this exam because of all the posts i read about it being soo hard. Well I was definitely over prepared but I'm glad I was! Without an extensive understanding of all the material you may get tripped up by the way the questions are phrased on the exam. I actually laughed at a couple of the questions because it was so obvious (to me) how they were trying to throw you off. But if you study well it wont work on you .

You should know:
    **The entire compensation chart!!! Including the static stretches and strengthening exercises. I noticed that not many people mentioned the stretches but its important to know them because of questions like this: If a client's shoulder's elevate during the pulling assesment which muscle should be stretched?
    a. Upper Trapezius
    b. Latissimus Dorsi
    c. Levator Scapulae
    d. Anterior Deltoid
    So if you just studied the compensations this may confuse you because both the upper trap and levator scapulae are overactive if the shoulders elevate during a push/pull assessment! However, if you memorized the stretches on the chart too (pg 196) then you know the recommended stretch is for the upper traps and scalenes.
    **I actually had quite a few questions on the Muscles as Movers chart on page 46. So know the prime movers, synergists, stabilizers and antagonists for the Chest press, overhead press, row and squat.
    **Know the shortened and lengthened muscles for the 3 static postural distortion syndroms! I actually didnt memorize this until the night before my exam when I thought well maybe they will ask which specific muscles are shortened and lengthened..So I made up sentence using the first letters of each muscle lol. I'm glad I did because I had about 4 questions asking about the shortened and lengthened muscles in the lower crossed syndrom and pronation distortion syndrome. I made the sentences really sill (and they didnt actually make sense) because thats how I remember things. This helped me to narrow down choices then I could logically figure out which was the right answer. Go ahead and memorize them if you want itll definitely help! I was tired of memorizing things so useing those sentences was good enough for me. The one I used for Pronation Distortion Syndrome was: Gabby Sees Potatoes And Is Happy Because/ Another Potato vacuums gather hair... I had limited time and that was the best I could come up with lol but hey at least I remembered it and it helped me!!
    **know what the Durin-Womersley formula is used for. (body fat percentage)
    **Know the 3 cardio training zones (category and percentages!) I had a question that sid a client falls in the good category for cardio, which zone and intensity should she train at? (answer is Zone two 76-85%)
    **Know whih information is necessary for the rockport walk test. (weight *record this first*, age, gender, time, and heart rate)
    **Know what the P's of marketing
    **Know the difference between an Attainable goal and a Realistic goal.
    **Know everything about each stage of train, including what is recommended for each person in each stage
    ** Know what each assesment is used for
    ** I had a question asking about the purpose of balance strength training and another one about plyo power training
    **Know which type of exercises are performed in which plane of motion (ex: abduction is in the frontal plane)
    **Know the difference between reciprocal inhibition, altered reciprocal inhibition, synergistic dominance, arthrokinetic dysfunction, and muscle imbalance.
    **Know what muscle spindles and Golgi Tendon Organs do
    **KNOW EVERY EXERCISE FOR EACH TYPE OF TRAINING!!! Fexibility, Core, Balance, Plyo and Resistance exercises. (know progressions and regressions)
    ** I had one questions asking how many reps should be performed during a power plyo exercise (8-12)
    **Know the acute variables for each phase resistance training (pg 370-379)
    **I didnt have any questions on chapter 15
    ** I had a few questions about pregnant clients and hypertensive clients but they were simple.
    ** Know muscles of the core table on pg 226
    ** Know balance progressions (floor, balance beam, half foam roll, foam pad, balance disc. My exam said Dyna Disc instead of balance disc, which would have confused me if i didnt know what a dyna disc was. so remember Dyna Disc lol, I think this was one of the research questions because I dont remember them using that specific name in the book..only balance disc.
    **Plyometric training may be called reactive training on your exam
    ** Definitions of Speed, Agility and Quickness
    ** Know the resistance training systems: my exam asked which training system is best for overweight clients? a.Drop set system b Split-routine c.Circuit training d.horizontal loading (answer is c but you should know why this is the answer)
    ** Know why periodization is important
    ** Know the amino acids (how many essential-8, and how many nonessential-10)
    ** Where are proteins broken down in the body?
    ** Recommended protein consumption
    ** Negative effects of a high protein diet
    ** REcommended carb consumption before during and after exercise
    ** Carbs are the body's chief source of energy and should always make up the greatest percentage of macronutrient calories!
    ** Recommended fat consumption
    ** Which vitamins are fat soluable? (A,D,E and K)
    ** Negative effects of dehydration
    ** Know everything about water (pg. 490 & 491)
    ** Know the differences between EAR RDA AI and UL terms in the supplements chapter
    ** Know which nutrients have the greatest potential for excess dosage. (A, D, Iron and Zinc)
    ** How long do you have to make a good first impression? (20 seconds)
    ** You should keep all documents for at least 4 years
    ** Know SMART goals, i had a few questions list goals and it asked which was most in line with SMART goals
    ** Directive and non-directive questions (close-ended and open-ended questions)
    ** Time is the most common barrier to exercise
    ** There were actually a lot of questions from chapter 19
    **Know what an indepentend contractor is
    **Sales decisions are based off emotions
    **What is the 1st step in the 10 steps to success? (Determine your desired annual income) (chapter 20)

I would say that knowing all of the exercises mentioned in the book is the most important part. I actually wrote up a complete 12 week fat loss program for one of my friends using the OPT model and this reallyyyyyy helped me remember not only the specific exercises for each stage of training but the actute variables as well!
    I also loveddd the AccelPrep and PocketPrep apps!! AccelPrep has 510 practice questions and 28 topics so you can study whatever it is your having trouble with. the accelprep app has a guy doing a seated biceps curl icon. IT also tells you where in the book you can find the answer! PocketPrep was good because it also had a ton of practice questions and the questions are phrased very similar to the actual exam. PocketPrep is a blue icon with a P on it.

I really hope this helps!!

Originally Posted by tazdog36 View Post
    I am taking test Friday and I am so nervous any suggestions on how and what to study
    I just took it on 9/4/15 and posted just below you about what is important to know

Bojangles188 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Which book did you buy that regards to pages 169 and chapers 5/6? Just wondering!

Heidi1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

OMG THANK YOU! Taking my test tomorrow.

Originally Posted by MandyHend View Post
    Passed my NASM CPT 4 Exam on Friday 9/4/15!! First Try!!!
    I used this thread to help me study so I feel like I should contribute

I studied A LOT for this exam because of all the posts i read about it being soo hard. Well I was definitely over prepared but I'm glad I was! Without an extensive understanding of all the material you may get tripped up by the way the questions are phrased on the exam. I actually laughed at a couple of the questions because it was so obvious (to me) how they were trying to throw you off. But if you study well it wont work on you .

You should know:
    **The entire compensation chart!!! Including the static stretches and strengthening exercises. I noticed that not many people mentioned the stretches but its important to know them because of questions like this: If a client's shoulder's elevate during the pulling assesment which muscle should be stretched?
    a. Upper Trapezius
    b. Latissimus Dorsi
    c. Levator Scapulae
    d. Anterior Deltoid
    So if you just studied the compensations this may confuse you because both the upper trap and levator scapulae are overactive if the shoulders elevate during a push/pull assessment! However, if you memorized the stretches on the chart too (pg 196) then you know the recommended stretch is for the upper traps and scalenes.
    **I actually had quite a few questions on the Muscles as Movers chart on page 46. So know the prime movers, synergists, stabilizers and antagonists for the Chest press, overhead press, row and squat.
    **Know the shortened and lengthened muscles for the 3 static postural distortion syndroms! I actually didnt memorize this until the night before my exam when I thought well maybe they will ask which specific muscles are shortened and lengthened..So I made up sentence using the first letters of each muscle lol. I'm glad I did because I had about 4 questions asking about the shortened and lengthened muscles in the lower crossed syndrom and pronation distortion syndrome. I made the sentences really sill (and they didnt actually make sense) because thats how I remember things. This helped me to narrow down choices then I could logically figure out which was the right answer. Go ahead and memorize them if you want itll definitely help! I was tired of memorizing things so useing those sentences was good enough for me. The one I used for Pronation Distortion Syndrome was: Gabby Sees Potatoes And Is Happy Because/ Another Potato vacuums gather hair... I had limited time and that was the best I could come up with lol but hey at least I remembered it and it helped me!!
    **know what the Durin-Womersley formula is used for. (body fat percentage)
    **Know the 3 cardio training zones (category and percentages!) I had a question that sid a client falls in the good category for cardio, which zone and intensity should she train at? (answer is Zone two 76-85%)
    **Know whih information is necessary for the rockport walk test. (weight *record this first*, age, gender, time, and heart rate)
    **Know what the P's of marketing
    **Know the difference between an Attainable goal and a Realistic goal.
    **Know everything about each stage of train, including what is recommended for each person in each stage
    ** Know what each assesment is used for
    ** I had a question asking about the purpose of balance strength training and another one about plyo power training
    **Know which type of exercises are performed in which plane of motion (ex: abduction is in the frontal plane)
    **Know the difference between reciprocal inhibition, altered reciprocal inhibition, synergistic dominance, arthrokinetic dysfunction, and muscle imbalance.
    **Know what muscle spindles and Golgi Tendon Organs do
    **KNOW EVERY EXERCISE FOR EACH TYPE OF TRAINING!!! Fexibility, Core, Balance, Plyo and Resistance exercises. (know progressions and regressions)
    ** I had one questions asking how many reps should be performed during a power plyo exercise (8-12)
    **Know the acute variables for each phase resistance training (pg 370-379)
    **I didnt have any questions on chapter 15
    ** I had a few questions about pregnant clients and hypertensive clients but they were simple.
    ** Know muscles of the core table on pg 226
    ** Know balance progressions (floor, balance beam, half foam roll, foam pad, balance disc. My exam said Dyna Disc instead of balance disc, which would have confused me if i didnt know what a dyna disc was. so remember Dyna Disc lol, I think this was one of the research questions because I dont remember them using that specific name in the book..only balance disc.
    **Plyometric training may be called reactive training on your exam
    ** Definitions of Speed, Agility and Quickness
    ** Know the resistance training systems: my exam asked which training system is best for overweight clients? a.Drop set system b Split-routine c.Circuit training d.horizontal loading (answer is c but you should know why this is the answer)
    ** Know why periodization is important
    ** Know the amino acids (how many essential-8, and how many nonessential-10)
    ** Where are proteins broken down in the body?
    ** Recommended protein consumption
    ** Negative effects of a high protein diet
    ** REcommended carb consumption before during and after exercise
    ** Carbs are the body's chief source of energy and should always make up the greatest percentage of macronutrient calories!
    ** Recommended fat consumption
    ** Which vitamins are fat soluable? (A,D,E and K)
    ** Negative effects of dehydration
    ** Know everything about water (pg. 490 & 491)
    ** Know the differences between EAR RDA AI and UL terms in the supplements chapter
    ** Know which nutrients have the greatest potential for excess dosage. (A, D, Iron and Zinc)
    ** How long do you have to make a good first impression? (20 seconds)
    ** You should keep all documents for at least 4 years
    ** Know SMART goals, i had a few questions list goals and it asked which was most in line with SMART goals
    ** Directive and non-directive questions (close-ended and open-ended questions)
    ** Time is the most common barrier to exercise
    ** There were actually a lot of questions from chapter 19
    **Know what an indepentend contractor is
    **Sales decisions are based off emotions
    **What is the 1st step in the 10 steps to success? (Determine your desired annual income) (chapter 20)

I would say that knowing all of the exercises mentioned in the book is the most important part. I actually wrote up a complete 12 week fat loss program for one of my friends using the OPT model and this reallyyyyyy helped me remember not only the specific exercises for each stage of training but the actute variables as well!
    I also loveddd the AccelPrep and PocketPrep apps!! AccelPrep has 510 practice questions and 28 topics so you can study whatever it is your having trouble with. the accelprep app has a guy doing a seated biceps curl icon. IT also tells you where in the book you can find the answer! PocketPrep was good because it also had a ton of practice questions and the questions are phrased very similar to the actual exam. PocketPrep is a blue icon with a P on it.

I really hope this helps!!
    Taking my test tomorrow. This is a huge help!!!! Thanks!

Glad I could help!! Good luck on your exam!!!

tazdog36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thank you

NobleWifey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For the original post's author, or whoever else feels like replying...

Hey so this post is 4 years old but it's still AMAZING. I just read it... I take my exam in 2 weeks and keep considering rescheduling it b/c I'm afraid I'm just not ready (I actually have til December to do it). However; this post makes so much sense. I just wish I knew the pages & chapters that apply to the 4th edition that I am studying... did you have 3rd edition? When you say ch 5 & 6, were those the assessment chapter & .... ?? Maybe flexibility? And the pages you referenced; were those the muscle functions or the illustrated movements (i.e. shoulder flexion)? No idea if you're still going to be replying to this thread but it's worth the 2 minutes to ask Keep up the amazing work.
    Last edited by NobleWifey; 09-10-2015 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Just saw 1000+ replies to original post

Originally Posted by NobleWifey View Post
    For the original post's author, or whoever else feels like replying...

Hey so this post is 4 years old but it's still AMAZING. I just read it... I take my exam in 2 weeks and keep considering rescheduling it b/c I'm afraid I'm just not ready (I actually have til December to do it). However; this post makes so much sense. I just wish I knew the pages & chapters that apply to the 4th edition that I am studying... did you have 3rd edition? When you say ch 5 & 6, were those the assessment chapter & .... ?? Maybe flexibility? And the pages you referenced; were those the muscle functions or the illustrated movements (i.e. shoulder flexion)? No idea if you're still going to be replying to this thread but it's worth the 2 minutes to ask Keep up the amazing work.
    Hey check out the last page of this thread and go to the bottom, i just posted list of things to know for the exam! I passed it (first try) last friday! my post has up to date pages and chapters