View Poll Results: Was I helpful to you on passing the NASM?

Voters
226. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

210 92.92%
  • No

16 7.08%
Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1283
    jsimmons87 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    [QUOTE=JitteryJoes;1508172111]I failed the test by 2 points, a 68. Pretty upset about it. There were a lot of questions on there that I barely understood.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do? Re

So would you say that the exam questions are not like the quizzes you take online? I am starting chapter 11 now, and at the end of every chapter I go back and re-take each modules quiz and the mid term...but wondering if that is kind of a waste of time?

JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000)
    [QUOTE=jsimmons87;1508334551]
    Originally Posted by JitteryJoes View Post
    I failed the test by 2 points, a 68. Pretty upset about it. There were a lot of questions on there that I barely understood.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do? Re

So would you say that the exam questions are not like the quizzes you take online? I am starting chapter 11 now, and at the end of every chapter I go back and re-take each modules quiz and the mid term...but wondering if that is kind of a waste of time?
    Half the test, the questions from the online exams/quizzes were on it. The other half, never ever seen before in my life. Rather, it was actually really challenging. I HIGHLY suggest reading the chapters and memorizing each definition of every chapter. Also, I highly suggest downloading and buying the app by Pocket Pro. It's a NASM study guide with 500 questions, all from the latest edition of the book (5th edition). It actually explains the answer, whether you got it right or wrong, and it actually includes the chapter and page. It's amazing actually. I wish I had this before hand. It's 15 bucks and I highly suggest taking that first, after you read all the chapters. It'll list what section you need to work on too, which is extremely helpful.

Ok!! I'm getting that app then!! I def read the chapters, and do all the module work! I did the guided study so we have discussion questions each week we have to do, and sometimes case studies! Uggggh I still have until Aug before I take the exam, but I'm already nervous!

Thank you!!! Keep us posted on your retest!

Oh! Another thing that has really helped me that I have not seen anyone mention on here is the app Quizlet!!! You can find all the modules terms in flaxhcard form already made! Saved me sooooo much time!!

pillowyspade97 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Huge thanks to this thread. Passed the exam today and I'd like to give back by giving some insight on what to expect on the exam.

---SKIP THIS PART IF YOU JUST WANT EXAM OVERVIEW---
    Overview of my own studying habits.
    Similar to what another person said recently, about half the exam is straight from the online practice test/quizzes. I did the practice test with 100 questions a few times and (little referencing on the first)scored 80+, averaging high 90's and finished with 100. I took another persons advice of taking the 6 separate module practice tests (no referencing) and scored high 90's to 100. I barely used apps found on the iOS app store. I downloaded one, which I then used to find questions very similar to the online portion. I did this the day of the test and didn't find it too useful. I'd recommend it if you're still studying though!

I procrastinated like hell (cause life gets in the way), until 2 months left until my package expires... I scheduled my exam for 1 day before the expiration date. Planned out studying to be --> evening, make notes and text book reading; Next very early morning, online portion of same chapter. Rinse and repeat. (using my limited knowledge of memory, retention, and other random stuff I devised this plan which allows you to review in a decent time frame. This allows you to retain a higher % of info without forgetting. SO MAKE SURE YOU REVIEW about 1-9h AFTER YOU STUDY or you'll hate yourself later.)

I did not stick to this plan for long, cause I'm a lazy ass (and life). I'm a very generous person, meaning I gave myself many many many break times(probably isn't good). Random motivation here and there, blah blah blah. ended up cramming on the very last day thanks to this thread and how very specific information was needed...

very happy to have passed..

------------------------------------------------
    OVERVIEW
    ---MAIN---
    Acute Variables: reps/sets/duration/tempo for all stabilization, strength, and power phases. Which exercises fall under which categories. Different forms of stretching.

Assessment: Mainly overhead squat assessment. Know dysfunctions/impairments, how to correct them via SMR/Stretching or strengthening.

Intensities: HR % in 3 phases. 1RM % for stabilization, strength, and power phases.

MUSCLES: shortened/lengthened, strong/weak, isolated functions

Progression and Regression exercises for stabilization, Strength, and Power.

---OTHER---

Nutrition: macronutrients and what they do for your body. Daily intake. vitamins facts weren't emphasized.

Special Population: 1-2 questions. Very general/obvious answer.

---
    probably missing stuff, but they were random facts here and there, which wasn't in the online practice quiz/exams. Read into each of the main topics more in detail (know specific values/phases) and get a better understanding of them.

TLR
    A lot of questions are on movement exercises and muscles involved (shortened/lengthened and overactive/under-active). These Questions could range from movement assessment to stretching/regular exercises. Get high - perfect marks on the practice quiz/exams and you should be good. Memorizing is alright but comprehension/application is also a good majority!

Pfit317 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Which App?

There are many Nasm apps on android which on specifically please?Could you take a screen shot?

Pfit317 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Bradster101190 View Post
    If its near you id do it without hesitation, evryone says they are great but none are near 500 miles of me.
    @Bradster101190

Which app exactly there are quiet a few on the play store can you take a screen shot or be more specific?

sherif1258 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thank You :-)

twilli65 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) twilli65 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) twilli65 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) twilli65 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) twilli65 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) twilli65 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) twilli65 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) twilli65 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) twilli65 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) twilli65 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) twilli65 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Get your CPR Certification

Attentive Safety CPR and Safety Training ​offers American Heart Association CPR classes 7 days a week, day or night, to accommodate your busy schedule.​ 1.877.531.2226

robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So in 2016 I took the test I tried studying as best I could but had a terrible experience driving to the test facility. I got a 51% ... I immediately bought the test again a month later and forgot when my exam date was. Forgot I paid for it, then found out 2 weeks before it was about to expire that I needed to take it. I got a 63% without really studying, which is good in a way. I am an exercise science student, I used Student Loan refund money for the second time I took it. Honestly... I feel that after knowing the test bank is at about 180 questions and I've taken it twice it maybe helpful.

The practice Exam questions pop up on the test, I have two experiences with it. I pissed away 200 dollars maybe 800. All of my college courses are on ACSM so I had some confusion. I have a 3.01 GPA, I'm not perfect but I'm not failing away in school. So this is my point...

Lower and Upper Cross Syndrome are the key. The OPT model, we don't use this in ACSM classes. So my advice is this OPT model... and crossed syndrome. I'm taking my third and final attempt soon, I quit my regular job and have full time switched to preparing.

ETC2988 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Passed the exam yesterday and would like to pay it forward with some tips/advice.

As many have said, more than half of the exam comes straight from the practice chapter quizzes, exams, and domain quizzes. You won’t go wrong if you read the textbook and ace the quizzes.

By way of background, I work 70+ hours/week as an attorney and have had no exposure to, or background in, exercise science. Between work, working out, travel, and general procrastination, I didn’t start studying for the exam until 4 weeks before my Premium Self-Study Program was due to expire. So, I had to streamline my studying to make it the most efficacious that it could be. I studied for 1-2 hours every weekday and 4-5 hours on the weekends, when possible.

Studying

Before I dove headlong into the NASM textbook, I bought The Human Body Coloring Book from Amazon. I used the coloring book as a supplement to various chapters (e.g., Chapters 4, 9, 15) because the drawings were superior to, and more detailed than, those in the textbook. I read each chapter, did the interactive exercises, and took the chapter quizzes until I scored 100%. I made flashcards for the overactive/underactive muscles in the Overhead Squat Assessment, Pronation Distortion Syndrome, and Lower and Upper Crossed Syndromes. I reviewed these until I had all of the muscles memorized, along with the recommended stretching/strengthening exercises. I finished my review by looking through the NASM CPT Study Guide, taking the six domain quizzes until I scored 100% on each, and then completing the two practice exams. Although I’m not opposed to iPhone apps, I didn’t use them to study.

The Exam

I’m going to reiterate that if you complete and ace the practice quizzes and exams, the CPT exam will go smoothly. I finished the exam in 30-35 minutes, and it’s largely attributable to preparing with the quizzes (and memorizing the overactive/underactive muscles for the OHS, PDS, UCS, and LCS). The below is an overview of the topics on the exam.

Primary Topics

- Compensations in the Overhead Squat Assessment; Recommended Stretches and Strengthening Exercises
    - Shortened and Lengthened Muscles in Pronation Distortion Syndrome, Lower Crossed Syndrome, and Upper Crossed Syndrome
    - Acute Variables for Stabilization, Strength, and Power Phases (Reps, Sets, Tempo, % 1RM, Rest)
    - Types of Stretching for Stabilization, Strength, and Power Phases (Static, Active, Dynamic)
    - Types of Core, Balance, and Reactive Exercises for Stabilization, Strength, and Power Phases
    - Proprioceptive Manipulations, Regressions, and Progressions of Exercises for Stabilization, Strength, and Power Phases
    - Cardiorespiratory Zone Training (Zones 1–3)
    - Muscle Action Spectrum (Eccentric, Isometric, Concentric)
    - Objective vs. Subjective Assessments

Secondary Topics

- Systolic vs. Diastolic Blood Pressure
    - Phases of the Transtheoretical Model (TTM) (Precontemplation, Contemplation, Preparation, Action, Maintenance, Termination)
    - SMART Goals (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Time-Bound)
    - 4 Ps of Marketing (Product, Place, Price, Promotion)
    - Periodization (Microcycle, Mesocycle, Macrocycle)
    - When Gluconeogenesis Occurs
    - Layers of Muscle (Endomysium, Perimysium, Epimysium)
    - Basic Understanding of the Sliding Filament Theory, and Interaction of Actin and Myosin
    - Recommended Daily Water Intake
    - Contraindications and Special Populations (Pregnancy, Seniors, Hypertension, etc.)
    - Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Ranges for Adults (Proteins: Strength vs. Endurance Athletes, Carbohydrates, Fats)
    - Types of Levers and Examples (1st Class: Nodding the Head; 2nd Class: Calf Raises; 3rd Class: Biceps Curls)
    - Cardiorespiratory System (Arteries vs. Veins; Atriums vs. Ventricles)
    - Cardiorespiratory Assessments (YMCA 3-Minute Step Test, Rockport Walk Test)
    - Endocrine System and Hormones
    - Anatomic Locations (Superior/Inferior, Proximal/Distal, Anterior/Posterior, Medial/Lateral, Contralateral/Ipsilateral)
    - Planes of Motion (Frontal, Sagittal, Transverse)
    - Essential Amino Acids
    - Caffeine as a Nutritional Supplement
    - Scope of NASM Fitness Professionals’ Practices
    - Client Behavior Modification Techniques and Self-Efficacy

Best of luck!
    Last edited by ETC2988; 10-09-2017 at 12:53 PM.

MovieDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ETC2988 View Post
    Passed the exam yesterday and would like to pay it forward with some tips/advice.

As many have said, more than half of the exam comes straight from the practice chapter quizzes, exams, and domain quizzes. You won’t go wrong if you read the textbook and ace the quizzes.

By way of background, I work 70+ hours/week as an attorney and have had no exposure to, or background in, exercise science. Between work, working out, travel, and general procrastination, I didn’t start studying for the exam until 4 weeks before my Premium Self-Study Program was due to expire. So, I had to streamline my studying to make it the most efficacious that it could be. I studied for 1-2 hours every weekday and 4-5 hours on the weekends, when possible.

Studying

Before I dove headlong into the NASM textbook, I bought The Human Body Coloring Book from Amazon. I used the coloring book as a supplement to various chapters (e.g., Chapters 4, 9, 15) because the drawings were superior to, and more detailed than, those in the textbook. I read each chapter, did the interactive exercises, and took the chapter quizzes until I scored 100%. I made flashcards for the overactive/underactive muscles in the Overhead Squat Assessment, Pronation Distortion Syndrome, and Lower and Upper Crossed Syndromes. I reviewed these until I had all of the muscles memorized, along with the recommended stretching/strengthening exercises. I finished my review by looking through the NASM CPT Study Guide, taking the six domain quizzes until I scored 100% on each, and then completing the two practice exams. Although I’m not opposed to iPhone apps, I didn’t use them to study.

The Exam

I’m going to reiterate that if you complete and ace the practice quizzes and exams, the CPT exam will go smoothly. I finished the exam in 30-35 minutes, and it’s largely attributable to preparing with the quizzes (and memorizing the overactive/underactive muscles for the OHS, PDS, UCS, and LCS). The below is an overview of the topics on the exam.

Primary Topics

- Compensations in the Overhead Squat Assessment; Recommended Stretches and Strengthening Exercises
    - Shortened and Lengthened Muscles in Pronation Distortion Syndrome, Lower Crossed Syndrome, and Upper Crossed Syndrome
    - Acute Variables for Stabilization, Strength, and Power Phases (Reps, Sets, Tempo, % 1RM, Rest)
    - Types of Stretching for Stabilization, Strength, and Power Phases (Static, Active, Dynamic)
    - Types of Core, Balance, and Reactive Exercises for Stabilization, Strength, and Power Phases
    - Proprioceptive Manipulations, Regressions, and Progressions of Exercises for Stabilization, Strength, and Power Phases
    - Cardiorespiratory Zone Training (Zones 1–3)
    - Muscle Action Spectrum (Eccentric, Isometric, Concentric)
    - Objective vs. Subjective Assessments

Secondary Topics

- Systolic vs. Diastolic Blood Pressure
    - Phases of the Transtheoretical Model (TTM) (Precontemplation, Contemplation, Preparation, Action, Maintenance, Termination)
    - SMART Goals (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Time-Bound)
    - 4 Ps of Marketing (Product, Place, Price, Promotion)
    - Periodization (Microcycle, Mesocycle, Macrocycle)
    - When Gluconeogenesis Occurs
    - Layers of Muscle (Endomysium, Perimysium, Epimysium)
    - Basic Understanding of the Sliding Filament Theory, and Interaction of Actin and Myosin
    - Contraindications and Special Populations (Pregnancy, Seniors, Hypertension, etc.)
    - Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Ranges for Adults (Proteins: Strength vs. Endurance Athletes, Carbohydrates, Fats)
    - Types of Levers and Examples (1st Class: Nodding the Head; 2nd Class: Calf Raises; 3rd Class: Biceps Curls)
    - Cardiorespiratory System (Arteries vs. Veins; Atriums vs. Ventricles)
    - Cardiorespiratory Assessments (YMCA 3-Minute Step Test, Rockport Walk Test)
    - Endocrine System and Hormones
    - Anatomic Locations (Superior/Inferior, Proximal/Distal, Anterior/Posterior, Medial/Lateral, Contralateral/Ipsilateral)
    - Planes of Motion (Frontal, Sagittal, Transverse)
    - Essential Amino Acids
    - Caffeine as a Nutritional Supplement
    - Scope of NASM Fitness Professionals’ Practices
    - Client Behavior Modification Techniques and Self-Efficacy

Best of luck!
    I'm taking the test in a few days and you made me feel so much better about it, I know everything you listed! The posts above are psyching me out so i'm just going to take your word for it, thanks so much for the info

usafrider has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Just passed my exam

I just passed my exam about 3 hours ago and am STOKED!!!! I had a little different experience than what others have posted. I wold be surprised if 40% of the questions came from the practice exams. This was a shock to me and as I was taking it made me wish I would have spent more time on conceptual understanding of topics. Definitely know all of the practice exam questions though because everytime one of those came up it was confidence booster and relief that I didn't have to think through that question. Those were like freebies.
    A lot of the questions are worded differently than the style of the practice exam questions which reinforces the need to understand concepts rather than memorizing certain data, over/under active muscles, reps etc. There were only a couple of questions in which I had no idea where to even begin. Most of the questions I could easily eliminate 2 answers and then have to think through the remaining answers. Mine only had 1 calculation and it was very simple to figure out in my head. They do not allow any scratch paper or calculator.
    It was a really good mix of questions to the point that if I would have failed I really don't know what I would have gone back to study. The balance of questions was good and there weren't as many over/underactive muscle questions as I was expecting. Mine seemed to have a lot of flexibility related questions so have a good grasp of the flexibility continuum. Mine didn't have a lot of what ETC2988 mentioned so every experience is different. I recommend focusing on conceptual udnertanding much more than memorizing anything. None of the rep set, exercise # etc I memeorized were on there. All of those type questions were the oddball numbers I just skimmed through. Oh and one thing that will really help is to KNOW MUSCLE NAMES AND LOCATIONS. If you can know thier isloated functions as well even better. My whole life I never could remember the difference between objective and subjective, thankfully through my studies I kept those straight for the test and you should too.

Good luck and don't skimp on your studies. It's a tough test so prepare thoroughly.

emileegrace21 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by usafrider View Post
    I just passed my exam about 3 hours ago and am STOKED!!!! I had a little different experience than what others have posted. I wold be surprised if 40% of the questions came from the practice exams. This was a shock to me and as I was taking it made me wish I would have spent more time on conceptual understanding of topics. Definitely know all of the practice exam questions though because everytime one of those came up it was confidence booster and relief that I didn't have to think through that question. Those were like freebies.
    A lot of the questions are worded differently than the style of the practice exam questions which reinforces the need to understand concepts rather than memorizing certain data, over/under active muscles, reps etc. There were only a couple of questions in which I had no idea where to even begin. Most of the questions I could easily eliminate 2 answers and then have to think through the remaining answers. Mine only had 1 calculation and it was very simple to figure out in my head. They do not allow any scratch paper or calculator.
    It was a really good mix of questions to the point that if I would have failed I really don't know what I would have gone back to study. The balance of questions was good and there weren't as many over/underactive muscle questions as I was expecting. Mine seemed to have a lot of flexibility related questions so have a good grasp of the flexibility continuum. Mine didn't have a lot of what ETC2988 mentioned so every experience is different. I recommend focusing on conceptual udnertanding much more than memorizing anything. None of the rep set, exercise # etc I memeorized were on there. All of those type questions were the oddball numbers I just skimmed through. Oh and one thing that will really help is to KNOW MUSCLE NAMES AND LOCATIONS. If you can know thier isloated functions as well even better. My whole life I never could remember the difference between objective and subjective, thankfully through my studies I kept those straight for the test and you should too.

Good luck and don't skimp on your studies. It's a tough test so prepare thoroughly.

Were there many questions (if any) on the origin and insertion of any of the muscles? from taking anatomy in college i know the muscles and their placement but origin and insertion I don't know at all. I just don't know if I should go and memorize appendix d or not. I'm taking the exam January 10th and I'm nervous ahah. i've gone through the entire textbook once, I just need to focus in and figure out what i really really need to know. Thanks!

ATowers81 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I passed my NASM CPT exam about two hours ago. I'm flat out giddy. I just wanted to thank the OP and ETC2988 for their help, this thread has been very valuable.

ETC2988 nailed it on the Primary topics. Roughly 30%-35% of my questions were concerning Distortion syndromes, Short/Long Muscles and Compensations. 30% may not sound like much, but it's enough to fail your ass if you don't comprehend it. I had a surprising amount of questions on the heart and BP (Systolic/Diastolic/Hypertensive.). I think there were five or six of those total and all of them counted toward my score as I'd seen them on practice tests. At least two questions concerning calories and three or four on what energy sources are used when. (Oxygen, ATP, Glycogen, Glycolysis) GAS and SMART made up probably a half dozen questions as well. Rep tempo was probably two questions and things like how long for record keeping showed up as well. One or two questions on vertical/horizontal loading, and a few identifying what types of training an example is. (Circuit...etc) And a couple on periodization. (Macro/Meso/Micro.)

I did my studying a little differently and wanted to chime in on my plan. I personally test very well and I have a good memory. I also have some science/medical background so most of the vocabulary/Anatomy was already a given for me. I find it's much easier for me to digest information and drop it straight into long term memory without much repetition as long as I take it in a little at a time but very rapidly overall. Also, I'm a firm believer in the idea "Train like you fight, fight like you train.", so my goal was to set my studying up to mimic the exam as much as possible. I started studying five days before my exam (on Monday) and completed the exam today in 39 minutes.

I used three tools primarily. The primary one was the CPT app from the Google Play store. It was $15 and while I don't think any questions from the app were on the test, it does an exceptional job of mimicking the exam and it does it in high volume. Secondary was every practice tests and quizes included with the online portion of the class. (Take EVERY test/quiz you can from NASM. These questions WILL show up on the exam.) The last (and very least) was the book.

Basically what I did was use the method of discovery. I would start a ten question quiz on the app and anything I got wrong got a flashcard, even if I didn't understand it. Then I would study those flash cards. This would occasionally require referencing the book, but the app does a damn good job of explaining each question. Then I would retake the quiz, and move the answer/concept into long term memory. (Some of it is just memorization. Knowing the correct answer for Hypertension is literally just remembering the BP.)

By day three I had a good grasp of everything except the comprehension around Short/Long/Overactive/Under active. Those were still some of the questions I would get wrong, as there were a couple of close answers here and there, but by day five I had it to where my lowest grade on any quiz or test was an 81. Most were in the 90's.

My flash card count probably hit 350, and I could burn through almost all of them with correct answers. The only chapters of the book I read in any depth (and I mostly skimmed these) were chapters 9-14 of the 5th edition, so if you're planning on reading the book as a primary source, this is where you need to spend your time.

For me I used the book as a reference as I don't like dealing with fluff and focused entirely on the exam itself. NASM is tricky how they word questions and I believe that getting used to that as far in advance of the Exam helped me nail it.

Thanks again to everyone that has posted on this thread. You've all contributed to my success. Even the stories of people failing inspired me to push harder. Best of luck to anyone preparing and feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

Ryuhadoken is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Very disappointed in myself. I was scheduled to take the exam on November 4 and missed it by over sleeping. I got back from my vacation on the 2nd and couldn't adjust to the time difference yet. I am not sure if I can pay for a reschedule or have to buy the test all over again. Congratulation to those who recently passed their test.

robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Ryuhadoken View Post
    Very disappointed in myself. I was scheduled to take the exam on November 4 and missed it by over sleeping. I got back from my vacation on the 2nd and couldn't adjust to the time difference yet. I am not sure if I can pay for a reschedule or have to buy the test all over again. Congratulation to those who recently passed their test.
    Are you within you 6 months? Then you don't have to pay...

Secondly, its 200 for the retest if your outside of the 6 months

Originally Posted by robdiddy View Post
    Are you within you 6 months? Then you don't have to pay...

Secondly, its 200 for the retest if your outside of the 6 months
    It passed 6 months already. I will also have to pay a $50 absent fee along with the $200 retest. Does anyone know how many days I am given to retest? I heard I have 30 days to retake the test. Not too sure about it. Thank you.

ejohnson135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ejohnson135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ejohnson135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ejohnson135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ejohnson135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ejohnson135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ejohnson135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ejohnson135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ejohnson135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ejohnson135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ejohnson135 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    An individual must complete the NASM-CPT typically takes 60-180 days, three NASM specializations (typically takes 4-12 months) and complete the NASM Master Trainer Capstone experience. It is feasible to complete the entire program in 1-2 years depending on your education, work history and level of dedication.

ACSM, ACE, NASM, and NSCA are all accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA). NCCA accreditation is generally held as the standard for the field—certifying bodies must undergo comprehensive evaluation and regular renewals to keep this accreditation.

Llgarcia5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Bradster101190 Are you familiar with NPTI and it is actually a hands-on school, but it cost $6,999 in comparason to NASM All Inclusive Program $1,999 or Guided Study Program $1,299? I'm insterested in becoming a PT working for a gym and keep in mind that I haven't studied or attended school in several years. I'm already in my 50's and I need to re-enter the workforce. I'm trying to make the right decision and I have to of course consider the cost. Thank you for any info. or feedback that you can provide.

meezomuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    So you studied only 5 days for the exam? I have done well on the mcat and am accepted to medical schools, so I'm trying to gauge how much I need to study for this thing.

Thanks in advance

[QUOTE=ATowers81;1528288301]I passed my NASM CPT exam about two hours ago. I'm flat out giddy. I just wanted to thank the OP and ETC2988 for their help, this thread has been very valuable.

ETC2988 nailed it on the Primary topics. Roughly 30%

Originally Posted by meezomuscle View Post
    So you studied only 5 days for the exam? I have done well on the mcat and am accepted to medical schools, so I'm trying to gauge how much I need to study for this thing.

Thanks in advance
    Yes. I only studied hard the week of the exam. (Prior to that I barely touched the book and the CPT app.) The key to passing is understanding what concepts to really study hard in relation to knowledge you already possess. Prior to the week of the exam, I didn't know anything about the OPT model, Upper and Lower Crossed syndrome, Pronation distortion, and the stretches needed to correct those. And that is a large part of the exam. I did know my anatomy already, vocabulary, most exercises and formulas for Max HR...etc.

I studied for the exam in a way that gave me the best possible chance to pass it. I did all of my studying as if I was taking the exam using the CPT app and the practice tests from NASM. And there will be questions directly from the practice tests on the actual exam.

The first trick is to figure out what you don't know. Then you know what to study.

dee94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I recently downloaded the Pocket Pro app; would you recommend only studying mostly from Pocket Pro and memorizing the questions and answers?

Originally Posted by dee94 View Post
    I recently downloaded the Pocket Pro app; would you recommend only studying mostly from Pocket Pro and memorizing the questions and answers?
    Absolutely not.

If you memorize all 500 questions from the Pocket Pro app you will fail the exam.

There were very few (if any) questions on the pocket pro app that were on the exam. The only questions I saw on the exam that I had seen before came directly from the practice tests provided by NASM.

The app is a tool that simulates the virtual testing environment. The way they phrase questions on the app very closely mimics the way they will phrase questions on the test. But you have to comprehend the material if you want any chance of passing.

Upper and lower crossed syndrome, pronation distortion syndrome, what types of stretches and exercises to correct these, and the OPT model are key. If you don't know that in and out on top of things like SMART, FORM, and everything else that ETC2988 laid out in his post, you will fail.

Not knowing the OPT model alone will fail your ass. You have to comprehend or you're a goner.

savvyrenee is on a distinguished road. (+10)

CPR Card

Hi everyone, I have my test coming up on the 18th and I'm preparing and making sure I have everything in order for test day.

Reviewing the email from the testing center, it says:

"A valid, non-expired, current CPR Card AND Advanced External Defibrillator Card or EMT certification. All cards MUST be signed by you and the instructor. Electronic or stamped signatures of the instructor or certifying agent ARE acceptable."

I have my CPR/AED through ESCI, which is on NASM's list of recommended course providers. However, looking at the card, my name is printed, as well as the instructor's name. There is no spot for a signature for either. Is this going to be a problem on test day? I hope I'm just being neurotic and overthinking this.

Originally Posted by savvyrenee View Post
    Hi everyone, I have my test coming up on the 18th and I'm preparing and making sure I have everything in order for test day.

Reviewing the email from the testing center, it says:

"A valid, non-expired, current CPR Card AND Advanced External Defibrillator Card or EMT certification. All cards MUST be signed by you and the instructor. Electronic or stamped signatures of the instructor or certifying agent ARE acceptable."

I have my CPR/AED through ESCI, which is on NASM's list of recommended course providers. However, looking at the card, my name is printed, as well as the instructor's name. There is no spot for a signature for either. Is this going to be a problem on test day? I hope I'm just being neurotic and overthinking this.
    You're good they just glance at it once

So after failing twice I scheduled my third and final attempt for the 27th... This is it, I'm about to run out of money I had from my job. I currently work at the YMCA as a lifestyle coach, I am asking trainers questions and looking to get advice from them. My situation is this, I just went through an entire semester of exercise physiology, so I have that info fresh in my mind. I have academic Kinesiology already passed, but I had an Internship in CrossFit. It contradicted a lot of the programming we learn in the NASM, but she challenged me at a high level. I studied kinesiology and functional Movement relentlessly.

So to everyone reading this to prepare.. LETS GET THIS!!!

Retake time frame

Originally Posted by robdiddy View Post
    So after failing twice I scheduled my third and final attempt for the 27th... This is it, I'm about to run out of money I had from my job. I currently work at the YMCA as a lifestyle coach, I am asking trainers questions and looking to get advice from them. My situation is this, I just went through an entire semester of exercise physiology, so I have that info fresh in my mind. I have academic Kinesiology already passed, but I had an Internship in CrossFit. It contradicted a lot of the programming we learn in the NASM, but she challenged me at a high level. I studied kinesiology and functional Movement relentlessly.

So to everyone reading this to prepare.. LETS GET THIS!!!

How long did you have to wait to retake the test and how much time do they give you to restudy the material? Thanks

savvyrenee is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Going through the practice exams to prepare for my exam coming up on Monday. One question asks "What type of exercise is used SECOND in a Phase 2: Strength Endurance superset?" I selected "Stabilization" and the question was marked wrong, with the feedback being that the answer is "Strength." Checked the book... "The first exercise is a traditional strength exercise... whereas the second exercise is a stabilization exercise." pg.11 This concept is again reviewed with the same information later in the book. So now I'm wondering, if I see this question on the exam, if I select the answer I know is correct (stabilization), am I going to miss it and lose a point? Makes me wonder if there are other questions that have me reviewing the wrong information. Has anyone else come across similar problems in the practice quizzes or exams?

emileegrace21 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by savvyrenee View Post
    Going through the practice exams to prepare for my exam coming up on Monday. One question asks "What type of exercise is used SECOND in a Phase 2: Strength Endurance superset?" I selected "Stabilization" and the question was marked wrong, with the feedback being that the answer is "Strength." Checked the book... "The first exercise is a traditional strength exercise... whereas the second exercise is a stabilization exercise." pg.11 This concept is again reviewed with the same information later in the book. So now I'm wondering, if I see this question on the exam, if I select the answer I know is correct (stabilization), am I going to miss it and lose a point? Makes me wonder if there are other questions that have me reviewing the wrong information. Has anyone else come across similar problems in the practice quizzes or exams?
    I had the same issue! I contacted NASM and they said go by the info in the textbook ("The exam is written by the NCCA or the company that accredits NASM through a rigorous process. The NCCA organization writes the certifying exam directly from the textbook." is what they wrote to me) and that they will correct the answer in the program (which I guess they didn't do). I'm assuming the actual exam isn't through the program and will HOPEFULLY not have stupid mistakes like the online quizzes have. I've found more than one mistake and multiple spelling errors.