View Poll Results: Was I helpful to you on passing the NASM?

Voters
226. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

210 92.92%
  • No

16 7.08%
Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1283
    sulpy21 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just passed the exam on my first try. Literally studied just yesterday. I have tons of knowledge about fitness from before hand, so if you have a fitness background or experience you will be fine. Just use common sense for most of it.
    what everyone else is saying - Under active/overactive muscles, Atp, quite a few on mine about nutrition - *how much protein does an endurance runner need to consume daily?
    Majority was on assessments though.

KimValentin will become famous soon enough. (+50) KimValentin will become famous soon enough. (+50) KimValentin will become famous soon enough. (+50) KimValentin will become famous soon enough. (+50) KimValentin will become famous soon enough. (+50) KimValentin will become famous soon enough. (+50) KimValentin will become famous soon enough. (+50) KimValentin will become famous soon enough. (+50) KimValentin will become famous soon enough. (+50) KimValentin will become famous soon enough. (+50) KimValentin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SkinnyBeast24 View Post
    Just read the book and take notes on each chapter, you will know what tables everybody is discussing when you come around to them. It's still helpful to know everything in the book to just make you a better overall trainer then focusing on any of the bullet points people have stated here.

However, it's safe to say you will have 30-40 questions on the assessments/imbalances/distortion syndromes/exercises in each phase for core/balance/plyo/saq/

Surprisingly, there is a good 10-20 questions on the last 2 chapters when it comes to SMART goals and stuff like that so don't just skip a chapter saying this is dumb b/c those are chapters they like to take questions from for some reason.

If you read and takes notes on each chapter and memorize the important tables, it will be hard to fail
    This 100%. I passed on my first try.

I purchased an app to help study which was good for overall knowledge but I didn't end up seeing those questions on the test. I followed the method described by SkinnyBeast basically. Read, re-read and take notes, make note of all the acute variables, etc. I took the online course so there were exercises, cueing vids, and quizzes/tests. I also did not have any A&P in my background so I found professors lectures on youtube to help me brush up. Definitely also look up the "Crash Course" series on youtube if your A&P knowledge is lacking. For example I couldn't grasp the sliding filament theory, and they had an awesome video with a cartoon explaining it.

Good luck!!

mcab1123 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Passed nasm 1-27-2017

This thread was extremely helpful. I would definitely say know/recognize the questions in the previous posts. In addition to the above, I would suggest the following:

-Take every practice test in the online portal that NASM provides several times and on different days. For the answers you keep getting wrong consistently, go back to the book find the answer. Many of the questions in these practice exams are similar to what is on the test.

-Learn all of the Overhead Squat Compensations. I used a free tool called Quizlet(you can download the app and use it on your computer). If you type in "NASM Overactive/Underactive Muscles During Compensations" i used one that had 14 Terms and had the compensation and muscles for each. I just kept testing myself on quizlet over and over using this tool

-Know Zone Training %'s; i.e. Zone 1-65-75%, etc.

-I have more than a few questions about types of stretching; i.e. Active, Static, Dynamic

-Know Pronation Distortion Syndrome, Upper and Lower Crossed Syndrome--what muscles are lengthened/shortened

-I also used Quizlet to learn the types of exercises; search "NASM CPT Exercise Library" 100 Terms that include both the exercise and which type training it relates to; ie.. stabilization, power, strength, stretch, etc.

Goodluck!

Lexcpt24 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile

I made an account specifically for this. So a lot of you have been wondering how to memorize pg 196 4th Ed & 295 5th Ed. The best way I learned was by using this website called throughly thriving. Once you're on there you click on tiffs corner & then you scroll down until there's a post titled "NASM study tools" & she has a ton of worksheets that will help you study. Idk who created the worksheets but I printed out like 50 & I would do them every day until I could fill them out with no problem. I would then use the sheets to test myself until I could fill each one correctly. Studying for the rest of the test was simple, I read the book three times, making notes of anything important. I also used a ton of people's study guides that I found online & combined them. If anyone wants that study guide btw just email me @ rachell_530@yahoo.com I also made flash cards of every vocab word, every muscle, & anything else I found important. If you study, the test is not difficult at all. In fact, it's going to be a piece of cake for you & you'll definitely pass your first time. I purchased just the test for $490. So I had to buy the book on Amazon & I didn't get a practice test but I still passed my first time with flying colors. If I can do it,you can too!

eabct is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Acronymns

Hi -- these acronyms are great. Where can I find what the initials mean? thanks

Originally Posted by jendelta1 View Post
    Act them out so you can feel where the muscles are. This is the most important tip. There are good YouTube videos out there too. But if you get test anxiety like I do make up acronyms, songs, or whatever to help you recall.

These are the acronyms I made up. I know they are silly but I remembered and passed on the first try There are some I just had to remember because I couldn't come up with anything (like the feet turning out, and the underactive for push/pull.

-Over/under knees turn in- V-BAT, VG
    -Over/Under Excessive Forward lean- HAGS, AGE (told myself when you're old you stoup forward so old HAGS AGE)
    -Over/Under arched back- HEL, HIG (having low back pain is HEL)
    -Over/Under Arms fall forward- LPT, MRR
    -Overactive push/pull- SUL

Parispassports has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation NASM test 14 days away!

Ok ok- so I won't say I'm NERVOUS but my anxiety level is at 100% seriously. I mean full time mom of 3: 11,6, 1😖😩 and not a single mom but omg it's like baffling because ok I'm passing y practice test at a 92% now. I'm a perfectionist so of course I'm going to continue to retake until I get a 100. I think I'm freaking out because I HATE multiple choice questions. I hate the fact that they would word it tricky instead of just asking straight out. Am I confident- ughhh about 70/30. I'm so worried about over analyzing the wrong material and overlooking what I should be studying. Honestly, I wish I could take it tomorrow and be Don with it. I pray and pray. I have been studying every since I signed up for the course but when I see example questions on these forums I feel like it's NOTHING close to what I have been studying. I take this SO SERIOUS Bc I was very deconditioned and suffer from several imbalances which NASM had helped with ! Lost over 60 lbs now at a healthy weight and the main focus for me is now balance bc my left side (quads, triceps, hamstrings) are smaller than my right! 😩 However I see a big difference since I've been taking NASM/ - so just as much as I want to HELP myself it's extremely important for me to aid others with my knowledge. Now I'm an action person. It's hard to practice that assessment Bc my significant other is the type who thinks squats aren't for men which is why I notice a lot of overactive and underactive muscles in him just from moving! My kids are to goofy and I literally HAVE NO FRIENDS. Someone pray for me!

I don't understand PLANTAR FLEXION. I do understand dorsiflexion - any help?

From Bones to Brawn SkinnyBeast24's Avatar
    SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Parispassports View Post
    I don't understand PLANTAR FLEXION. I do understand dorsiflexion - any help?
    dorsiflexion - toes up

plantar flexion - toes down
    Bench 315x1 - Squat 415x1 - Deadlift 515x1 Total = 1,245

3/4/5 Club as of 8-23-2019. Feels good man.

M.S. Exercise Science (2018)
    Certified by: NSCA C.S.C.S, NASM-CPT

6'5 Manmore, 230 pounds, 15% body-fat (Bod Pod tested)

COLTS (football) - Lakers (LeGOAT) - Indians (Baseball) - Uconn Huskies (college) - USA Soccer

TonyaTaughtMe is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile Nasm help and study guide

Hey guys,

So I recently took and passed the NASM exam on my first try on 12/27/2016. While I was studying I wished that there was a study guide that outlined more of the important information so that I wasn't wasting my time trying to memorize the whole 16 chapter book and then the dreaded Appendix D.

I have created a study guide that is available for $20 via Paypal that includes important information, videos that I found helpful, apps that I used on my phone and more. I am also including free tips and tricks, as well as emailed guidance if you need further help during the time you study for your exam.

If you're interested please email me at tonyataughtme@gmail.com

I wish you all the best of luck on your NASM journey!

Happy training!

xo, Tonya

Smile NASM 5th Edition 7days

Ok so I have a LOT less anxiety... test is Tuesday however my confidence level is at a good 85%! While I believe the tips on this forum such as songs etc were great if I could remember each song for each distortion. With that being said ALTHOUGH I haven't passed my exam YET I felt like studying for hours is not needed daily- if you read the book and follow this post with helpful tips of what to expect it's helpful. ALSO- I am paying for the GUIDED NASM course which includes 2 -100 practice questions and a PRE FINAL exam of 100 questions; so a total of 300 study questions/ as I was told were very similar to the exam. I do not AGREE when people say you don't need to know the muscles! I tried that and I think that's what frustrated me! You should learn the anatomy. I suggest the ANATOMY app for $.99 omg it has REALLY HELPED! When I'm out and about I NEVER SEE THE PERSON I'm ALWAYS LOOKING FOR short and lengthened muscles. Almost lost like learning a new language: if you really want to learn you have to THINK in that language too. Anytime I do an Instagram post (parispassports) I am sure to put info at the bottom of my post with info that I have to remember. For example- Cardio zone training. Also I remember 2,4,6 for sets on the strength level. Strength endurance 2-4, hypotrophy 3-5, max strength 4-6. Things would RANDOMLY pop in my head if I didn't overwhelm myself. Also you should be CONFIDENT. I didn't watch any negative YouTube videos anymore because I realized that some people really don't put in the time they claim and we all have different ways of studying. Now I'm taking like two portions a day - one in the am and one in the pm! So I study progression charts in the morning redo an exam at night or Overhead squat in the am and formulas at night! No complications! The videos and audio doesn't help me! I am a very realistic person I have to see and act it out and I feel like a little doctor secretly assessing people! Will update when I pass!

Awesome thanks!

Ok so I just completed the NASM test and I failed by 5 points. I know EXACTLY why I failed. First, let me just say YOU NEED TO KNOW THE FORMULAS (all of them) definition wise and be able to recognize them. They did not ask you to work them out at all but they did ask "What does 'HRR' represent ?" And lists different formulas. I knew upon taking the test I had difficulty in this area but I ASSUMED it was only about 3 questions- WRONG, I had at least 6-8 questions on the exam pertaining to FORMULAS. I had NO QUESTIONS on water intake and only 3-4 on nutrition. Question nutrition ALL HAD ME STUMPED- such as "How are fats stored?" Options were polyglicerides, triglycerides, and two others. Answer: triglycerides "What is the correct answer for a client who desires to CHANGE BODY COMPOSITION?" A) Protein 30% recommend b)carbohydrates 50% (don't remember c/d) Also had more questions than I anticipated on client relations/behavior coaching but I passed that portion. For example: Sarah was promoted and has to alter her fitness schedule, what is this an example of? Then it would say, Mary's mom takes her back and forth to the gym for her training sessions, this is what type of support? KNOW YOUR ACUTE VARIABLES. When I say this let me be SPECIFIC. It asked a question maybe 2 regarding sets, several questions were on REPS for Stability, reactive training throughout all levels of the OPT. Know what the Davis Law is. I was asked no questions as far as tempos, no easy questions like how many grams are in a protein, fat, etc. I had several questions on STRESS or the ALARM/ overtraining. NOT ONE QUESTION ON MUSCLE SPINDLE OR GTO's. I had 2 questions on reciprocal inhibition. Then it asked 30-45 sets in reactive training is considered ? a)Hypertrophy, b)Overtraining c) supernatural..... d)exhaustion {however that question was definitely on there}. I had at least 6 questions on DEHYDRATION& sweat. - please know this please please, but nothing in regards of water know ALL THE SIGNS OF DEHYDRATION AND THE ORDER. The questions were repetitive so I know why I failed Bc it asked me the same questions I DID NOT KNOW REPEATEDLY. I received 29% on "Basic +Applied sciences and Nutritional Concepts" if I had made even a 50% on that I would have passed! It asked enough questions on "Professional DEvelopment and Responsibility (10%) which I scored 100%. Ok and know the cues. This was a bit confusing. I WAS VERY confident as far as progressions and regressions but I ONLY had 2 questions on that! I had several questions on how to cue clients for certain exercises. Example: how would you cue a client who is performing a squat on a Stability ball? A) keep toes straight ahead b)Lean back onto the ball and the others were just wrong so I cancelled them out. Another on tubing for pronation how to cue? A) place band around knees b) make sure the feet are parallel {the other two options were way off} but it had me baffled. LPHC- question from pg 315 "Anterior tilting of pelvis indicated what UNDERACTIVE MUSCLE" answer : tranversus abdominis. Question: "A client does a cable lift. What does this represent for the knee?" A) adduction B)abduction c) FLEXION D) extension. Now the wording was not AT ALL confusing except maybe 4 questions. Very forward. You either know or you don't! I have the 5th edition book with the guided study in which if I failed the first have to pay $199 to retake in ADDITION to $95 monthly fee! However I contacted my mentor on help with all these concerns because I had a feeling my test would just be DIFFERENT from what peep have said on here and IT WAS! My mentor was of NO HELP AT ALL! She never even answered my questions but responded with a generic answer. I also was asked at least 4-6 Heart questions which I knew all except what is the heart beats per min and the blood pumped out with each contraction: answer- STROKE VOLUME. Also there is a young lady who posted questions that she remembered on the test- about 4 of those were on mine. Know how to explain the importance of the cool down period to a client. 120 quest and it I only knew for certain that 8 of them were absolutely not covered so it was not easy to determine. No questions on blood pressure. Literally every every thing from this forum was really not heavily on my exams. How should Obese clients should perform a row exercise ? A)supine b) prone d) standing ... can't remember 4th option. Several questions on oxygen consumption and reserve, minimum questions on intensity levels. Deoxygenated blood is pumped from the RIGHT VENTRICLE (on this forum the girl has Left ventricle ) I should have looked this up. Also KNOW EPOC, ATP-PC/ATP, at least 4questions of this. I took this test within the last 15 min of writing this post and remembering as I go. 7 days for retake and also I have more than a few questions on STRETCHES!
    Last edited by Parispassports; 02-22-2017 at 06:28 AM.

Question: What system is activated at the beginning of all physical activities? (Pg155)a) ATP-Pc b) ATP
    Oh oh oh and several questions on FLEXION AND EXTENSIONS for exercises! What is the best way to measure an obese client a) BMI B) hip to waist ratio c) body measurements.... I forgot fourth option. Know the DURNIN W. measuring sites: triceps, bicep, supraliliac and subscapular. I chose calf---/ just plane out foolish when I selected the subscapular first ��
    I believe I am the only one here who has taken the NEW UPDATED VERSION- which entails:
    Basic &I applied sciences and nutrition 17%
    Assessments 18%
    Program design 21%
    Exercise Technique &a Training instruction 22%
    Client relations and behavioral coaching 12%
    Professional Development and responsibilities 10%
    NOTE: in the manual i don't recall anything about research questions which I stated it was pretty difficult to determine
    Last edited by Parispassports; 02-22-2017 at 04:49 AM.

nil618 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hey! Did u retake the test?? How did you do? Any other tips? I am taking mine in about a week.

No I take it in 12 days. 0% nervous and 97% confident

Brockmarie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

NASM 5th edition progression/regressions

Hey everyone. I take my exam on Monday and I'm having trouble knowing how to progress or regress the exercises. I saw the progression/regression continuum, but in the exercise gallery it says how to SPECIFICALLY regress/progress each exercise. Any tips/suggestions?

Regress/progress

If you are using the fifth edition: the easiest way I learned it for all of them is knowing the table 11.3 pg 385

Pg385-388. Know the order and there are a few questions on the continuum (stretching) several on progression and regression. Please don't confuse the questions because when it asks the next step to regress or progress it literally means THE NEXT step. HTH!

LaurenT24 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Pg385-388. Know the order and there are a few questions on the continuum (stretching) several on progression and regression. Please don't confuse the questions because when it asks the next step to regress or progress it literally means THE NEXT step. HTH!
    Did you find that the practice exams on the self guided study had alot of the same questions that are on the exam?

Practice exam

I did not find the practice exams helpful AT ALL- BUT if you're going NASM self study guide NASM recently updated the info and added a new exam which was completely way closer (and the 20 question quiz) to the NEW NASM FINALEXAM! The wording, the questions are very similar and I felt would have been a much better guide and should have been available prior to.

I did not find the practice exams helpful AT ALL- BUT if you're going NASM self study guide NASM recently updated the info and added a new exam which was completely way closer (and the 20 question quiz) to the NEW NASM FINALEXAM! The wording, the questions are very similar and I felt would have been a much better guide and should have been available prior to.
    Thank you so much! I take my exam on the 29th and I am extremely nervous! Will you keep us updated with more info after you retake your exam?

Originally Posted by LaurenT24 View Post
    Thank you so much! I take my exam on the 29th and I am extremely nervous! Will you keep us updated with more info after you retake your exam?
    Also, are you provided any paper during the exam to write things down?

aat1219 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Acute variables

Does anyone have any tricks to remembering the acute variables for all the phases? I'm having a tough time remembering them

Pen & Paper

Pen and paper is not allowed! This is a biggy for me because I learn visually, listening and acting out. Although you cannot use a pen and paper there is an alternative which I am going to utilize: the comment section. I know the OH SQUAT AND SINGLE hand squat almost like the back of my hand now, BUT because some questions are repetitive as if it confuses your first initial answer some questions back, things can get cloudy. My plan is upon starting- going ahead to type in the underactive and overactive muscles and you can mark and come back! That way I can basically have bits of info I memorized and learned available as a reference. I type at 82 words per min so it will take no time for me to type that in. Also the sets and rep ranges because I had plent questions on reps for each phase. People often confuse power and strength rest times! Please know MAX STRENGTH (resistance)1-5reps w/ rest 3-5 min. Power 8-10 when superset with strength rest is 1-2 minutes between SUPERSETS but 3-5 min between CIRCUITS, this was asked multiple times on the final. DO NOT CONFUSE because it can be worded slightly off. Pg 465 and 427!!! I cannot stress enough to be knowledgeable of ALL EXERCISES for each phase and the progression and regression but most of all knowing what muscles should be strengthened and stretched! Will update

I passed

Wow! Relief

Wow! Relief
    Congratulations!!! Any other tips you can remember?

mattj15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mattj15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mattj15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mattj15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mattj15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mattj15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mattj15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mattj15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mattj15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mattj15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mattj15 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I took the test today and passed but it was tough. Everything Paris said above is correct. The new version and test is completely updated and the materials in this thread along with the pre-test aren't very helpful. The PSI guy working said I'm only the 3rd person he's ever seen pass so if you're not 100% confident yet I would put some more study time in.

Congratulations!!

Originally Posted by mattj15 View Post
    I took the test today and passed but it was tough. Everything Paris said above is correct. The new version and test is completely updated and the materials in this thread along with the pre-test aren't very helpful. The PSI guy working said I'm only the 3rd person he's ever seen pass so if you're not 100% confident yet I would put some more study time in.
    Congratulations 👌🏽

Just passed my exam!!

Just got done taking my exam and i am so relieved I passed! It was easy and I think it was all due to the eteach course. the new study guides and exams had everything on them that was on the test and many of the questions from the new exam they posted are actually on the test (at least 10). I did want to clarify from a previous post that "what is the heart beats per min and the blood pumped out with each contraction: answer- STROKE VOLUME." is incorrect, the answer is Cardiac output. If you are taking the eteach course you will be fine!! The assessments, the compensations chart, and acute variables made up the bulk of my test. My test also asked what a second class lever is, the answer is Calf raise! I couldnt tell which questions were the 20 experimental ones because they were all pretty basic and very straight forward. The wording is not tricky at all and like others have said you either know it or you dont. The best advice is to study the new study guides they have made available all the information on the test is there! I also had quite a few question on the ATP-PC, oxidative, and glycolysis energy pathways and when they are used, once again the answer to these is right in those study guides!

Getupgetfit is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile

Originally Posted by LaurenT24 View Post
    Just got done taking my exam and i am so relieved I passed! It was easy and I think it was all due to the eteach course. the new study guides and exams had everything on them that was on the test and many of the questions from the new exam they posted are actually on the test (at least 10). I did want to clarify from a previous post that "what is the heart beats per min and the blood pumped out with each contraction: answer- STROKE VOLUME." is incorrect, the answer is Cardiac output. If you are taking the eteach course you will be fine!! The assessments, the compensations chart, and acute variables made up the bulk of my test. My test also asked what a second class lever is, the answer is Calf raise! I couldnt tell which questions were the 20 experimental ones because they were all pretty basic and very straight forward. The wording is not tricky at all and like others have said you either know it or you dont. The best advice is to study the new study guides they have made available all the information on the test is there! I also had quite a few question on the ATP-PC, oxidative, and glycolysis energy pathways and when they are used, once again the answer to these is right in those study guides!
    Hey! I am taking my test in less than a month and saw that they updated the study guide section. I just printed the Domain 1 after reading your post. There are 5 domains total did you study all of them (know all the info on every single one) to study? Are these the study guides you are referring too? Any other tips to study with? I am on the fifth edition and currently going over chapters 4, 6, 9, 10-14. As review as well.

Thank you so much and congrats on passing!