Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Bulking With BBQ - NordAK's Log

Introduction

Like many people on this forum, I've lost weight in the past and now struggle with food issues. I went from 230lbs to a minimum of 135lbs over a period of 5 years. I followed a very strict and boring 1800-2000cal high protein diet, eating the same meals over and over again. I also did excessive amounts of cardio for fun, I would ski for 8 hours and still only eat 2000 calories. This winter I noticed how my low bodyfat% would make me constantly feel cold - not a good thing since I live in Alaska. The final straw was when I tried to start a snowmobile with a pull-cord and realized how pathetically weak Iv'e become. After lurking this forum and telling myself I need to lift for months... It's time to man up and get over my fear of "unhealthy" carbs so I can regain strength and get to a healthy weight. Hopefully the responsibility of keeping this log and some feedback will keep me honest and accountable about how much I ACTUALLY eat.

Routine:

SL 5x5
    A: Squat, Bench Press Barbell Row
    B: Squat, Overhead Press, Deadlift 1x5

Started with bar weight

Current Stats:
    Squat: 105
    Bench Press: 85
    Deadlift: 145
    Overhead Press: 65 (struggling)
    Barbell Row: 70 (working on form)
    Weight: 149lbs

Nutrition:
    Starting with 2,200cal/day with a minimum of 160g protein a day, I will ramp up 100 calories a week until I start gaining 1lb/week. I'm not going to follow some broscience diet of nothing but oats and cottage cheese. I love to fish and I plan on getting lots of protein/fats from delicious BBQd Alaskan salmon. Who wants to see pictures of the same bowl of oats every day anyway?

NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

June 1st 2011 - Day 1

Workout

Squats 5x5 - 110lbs
    Overhead Press 5x5 - 65lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 - 145lbs

Feels great to be progressing steadily on my squats and deadlift, but I'm struggling with the overhead press. Last week I cranked out 5x5 at 75lbs, but I was leaning back and had extremely poor form.

Food

It was a day off so I went out fishing and caught a good sized 18lb Sockeye salmon. After a long winter of eating freezer salmon and halibut I had to throw this on the grill fresh.... and it was amazing. Cooked on a cedar plank with minimal seasoning and served with grilled red pepper and asparagus.

Macros: 716 cals 80P/37F/14C

Daily Macros: 192P/256C/90F 2,570 Cals
    Last edited by NordAK; 06-02-2011 at 11:36 PM.

pistolpete102 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pistolpete102 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pistolpete102 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pistolpete102 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pistolpete102 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pistolpete102 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pistolpete102 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pistolpete102 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pistolpete102 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pistolpete102 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pistolpete102 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    In! Good luck with your goals! I wish I could go out and catch some Alaskan Salmon, that would be tasty. Overhead press is also a tough lift for me, it seems a lot of people have trouble with it.

Arethusa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Arethusa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Arethusa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Arethusa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Arethusa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Arethusa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Arethusa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Arethusa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Arethusa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Arethusa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Arethusa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Those eats putting my ****ty oats to shame :P
    Rep back

ahs430 is a name known to all. (+5000) ahs430 is a name known to all. (+5000) ahs430 is a name known to all. (+5000) ahs430 is a name known to all. (+5000) ahs430 is a name known to all. (+5000) ahs430 is a name known to all. (+5000) ahs430 is a name known to all. (+5000) ahs430 is a name known to all. (+5000) ahs430 is a name known to all. (+5000) ahs430 is a name known to all. (+5000) ahs430 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Arethusa View Post
    Those eats putting my ****ty oats to shame :P
    +1.

that salmon looks amazing.

ianisby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ianisby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ianisby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ianisby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ianisby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ianisby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ianisby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ianisby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ianisby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ianisby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ianisby will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    In.
    907 bra

Kings are starting to come in. time to get my fish on too

June 3rd 2011 - Day 2

Workout

Squats 5x5 - 115lbs
    Bench Press 5x5 - 90lbs
    Barbell Rows 5x5 - 70lbs

Awesome workout today. After nearly a month working out I FINALLY found someone in the gym doing compound lifts instead of dumbbell curls. He was a huge ex-marine and he gave me some great tips on my squat form. I've been focusing on pushing up with my heels and using "hip drive." It's tempting to add more than 5lbs a workout, but I'm going to take it slow, focus on form, and make sure I'm squatting parallel every time. My bench press is progressing steadily and I think I'm ready to add another 5lbs to barbell rows.

Activity

I was on my feet and active all day today. I hiked about 4mi carrying a 30lb backpack for a campout on the beach. I ran around, played frisbee, chopped wood etc... According to my phones ****meter app I took over 25,000 steps. The best rough estimate I can come up with for my extra calorie burn between weights and activity is 2,000cals. I need to buy a bodybug.

Food

What a day it was. I hit my 160g of protein, and then tried my best to compensate for my activity levels. IIFYM! A year ago I would have passed up all of this unhealthy camp food (saturated fat and simple sugars!) After years of strict dieting I had completely lost the pleasure of enjoying food with friends and eating socially. I still find myself constantly calculating macros in my head. Maybe I should drop that mindset until I gain 30lbs...

2 Costco Polish Sausages with ketchup
    ~900 cals 30P/61F/61C
    Failed Pineapple Upsidedown cake - Anyone know the macros for carbon?

Smore's
    Macros: 540 cals 1P/24F/80C

Not pictured: Oatz, chicken breast, whey, salmon, beer

Daily Macros: 238P/443C/165F 4,553 Cals
    My New Bulking/Nutrition Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135055561

Anti SF/FF. Pro Real Food.

Originally Posted by ianisby View Post
    In.
    907 bra

Kings are starting to come in. time to get my fish on too
    Last year in SEAK it was 50 rod hours to catch a king. I only caught one last spring, and then just gave up and went for silvers.

June 4th 2011 - Day 3

Workout

Rest day.

Activity

It was another beautiful day today. I had planned on going for a hike, but my legs were destroyed after squats and DL on Friday so instead I suggested that we go kayaking. The view was incredible! Estimated calories burned: ~1,000.

Food

I'm really starting to embrace this bulking thing.I don't have much of a sweettooth so I find myself drawn to high-fat foods to get my cals in.

Cottage cheese banana protein pancakes topped with 3tb chunky PB
    900 cals 66P/41F/60C

Beer-soaked bratwurst topped with cheddar cheese, wasabi mayo, salmon, tuna, veggies
    Macros: 720 cals 51P/40F/39C

Not pictured: chicken breast, frozen yoghurt, energy bars

Daily Macros: 258P/212C/129F 3,050 Cals

cbeauch is on a distinguished road. (+10) cbeauch is on a distinguished road. (+10) cbeauch is on a distinguished road. (+10) cbeauch is on a distinguished road. (+10) cbeauch is on a distinguished road. (+10) cbeauch is on a distinguished road. (+10) cbeauch is on a distinguished road. (+10) cbeauch is on a distinguished road. (+10) cbeauch is on a distinguished road. (+10) cbeauch is on a distinguished road. (+10) cbeauch is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    wanna be my cook, bro?

June 20th 2011 - Day 4

Workout

Squats 5x5 - 125lbs
    Overhead Press 5x5 - 65lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 - 155lbs

I've been out of town in Seattle for a few weeks for work training and I was unable to workout despite my best efforts to find a gym close to my hotel that had anything beyond a dumbbell rack. I was really determined to keep working out on this trip but to my surprise, Every 24 hour fitness in Seattle seems to be filled with people doing endless cardio to burn off their Venti Caramel Frappuccinos. During the past few weeks I've eaten whatever I wanted while trying my best to get a decent amount of protein. I finally found a decent gym and I've started back where I left off. Despite the lack of training this workout felt very strong. I still feel that I'm progressing steadily with my squats and deadlifts and I think my form is good. (video inc) I really want to focus on hitting parallel with my squats instead of upping my weight too quickly.

Food

I'll be in Seattle for a few more days, so instead of precisely tracking macros I'm going to just aim for 150g of protein and just eat EVERYTHING I want. Seattle is a great foodie town and I've been exploring everything that Pike's Place Market and the local restaurants has to offer.

Beef and Cheese Piroshky. Piroshky is a must-have if you visit Seattle. They're similar to a hotpocket, but are made with homemade Russian bread and come steaming fresh out of the oven.
    Macros: ???

Alder Planked Sockeye Salmon and Red Potatoes from Chinook's restaurant. Restaurants feel the need to slather salmon in butter which just covers up the taste. I'll stick to homemade.

Daily Macros: 180+g protein ??? Cals

June 21st 2011 - Day 5

Workout

Rest Day
    Cardio: ~5mi walking around town

Weight: 150lbs +1lbs in 1 month

I finally got a chance to weigh myself today. I weigh 150lbs.... +1lb from when I started the program over a month ago. I know I'm getting stronger, but I really thought I would have gained more weight... especially after pigging out on whatever I wanted in Seattle for the past 2 weeks. Oh well... Now I that I have access to a gym again so I'll be able to consistently workout and I'll try to keep my diet in check. I feel almost like I should have waited to start my lifting until after my work trip, but I was tired of making excuses ready to get started. I'm determined to find just how many calories I need to start putting on real weight in the next month.

Food

After starting the day off with a massive bowl of cottage cheese to get some protein in, I wandered around Pike's Place Market trying all the sweets I could find. Even though I'm enjoying food that I wouldn't have dared eating a year ago I still find myself yearning to cook for myself so I can control my macros. Every time I revert to those ED thoughts I just think of this board and the other people sharing my same issues and the progress they've made

German Chocolate Caramel Apple. Coconut, walnuts, dark chocolate, caramel drizzled on a granny smith apple.

Pulled Pork with Bourbon BBQ Sawce - Had 3 sandwhiches

Daily Macros: 150+g protein ????? Cals

June 21st 2011 - Day 6

Workout

Squats 5x5 - 130lbs
    Bench Press 5x5 - 95lbs
    Barbell Row 5x5 - 75lbs

I've reached a weight where I'm finally starting to struggle with my squats. My first set was the most difficult, I think my motion was too slow because I was focusing too much on hitting parallel, which really wore me out. A guy doing crossfit suggested that I try squatting with my shoes off so I tried that for my remaining sets. I think it helps me focus more on pushing from my heels.

Food

I had a craving for pancakes, so I made my own breakfast for the first time in a week. I swear that simple bodybuilding cottage cheese/oatmeal pancakes are better than the "real thing." I went out for lunch and dinner and took full advantage of my per diem, ordering the most expensive things on the menu

Cottage Cheese banana/pumpkin pancakes topped with 3tb crunchy PB and Strawberry Jam

Overpriced but delicious Dungeness Crab with melted butter for dipping. Messy!

Chocolate Moose with Bailey's infused whipped cream.

Daily Macros: 140+g protein ??? Cals

ian0789 is just really nice. (+1000) ian0789 is just really nice. (+1000) ian0789 is just really nice. (+1000) ian0789 is just really nice. (+1000) ian0789 is just really nice. (+1000) ian0789 is just really nice. (+1000) ian0789 is just really nice. (+1000) ian0789 is just really nice. (+1000) ian0789 is just really nice. (+1000) ian0789 is just really nice. (+1000) ian0789 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Man I am digging the eats from today

How quickly I forget...... That this is meaningless?

oats_addict is just really nice. (+1000) oats_addict is just really nice. (+1000) oats_addict is just really nice. (+1000) oats_addict is just really nice. (+1000) oats_addict is just really nice. (+1000) oats_addict is just really nice. (+1000) oats_addict is just really nice. (+1000) oats_addict is just really nice. (+1000) oats_addict is just really nice. (+1000) oats_addict is just really nice. (+1000) oats_addict is just really nice. (+1000)
    You had me hooked on that first salmon picture and the views from your kayaking!
    Man I wish I could fish for my own food, taking it back to the old school big time.

Good luck with your bulk and ill be lingering for sure.
    140bpm all day every day

Originally Posted by oats_addict View Post
    You had me hooked on that first salmon picture and the views from your kayaking!
    Man I wish I could fish for my own food, taking it back to the old school big time.

Good luck with your bulk and ill be lingering for sure.
    Thanks man. I've been lurking your log since you started it... love the kangaroo and sushi eats! And yeah, there is something satisfying about catching your own food, especially when you cook and eat it on the same day

June 22nd 2011 - Day 7

Workout

Rest Day
    Cardio: None

Long day traveling back from Seattle. I had to scrounge up whatever I could for breakfast and lunch, but I got home in time for a huge BBQ feast. Glad to be home so I can finally cook for myself and actually track macros.

Leftover pulled pork and shrimp rice salad for breakfast

A few of these.

1/2lb Angus Burgers with gorgonzola

June 24th 2011 - Day 8

Workout

Squats 5x5 - 135lbs (fail)
    Overhead Press 5x5 - 70lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 - 160lbs

Very Disappointing workout today. I failed a squat set for the first time at 135lbs. I don't know if it was my vacation screwing up my linear progression, poor sleep, poor nutrition or what, but I just felt weak today. On my first rep I went down and on the way up my knees buckled in and I almost had to bail I lowered my weight to 130lbs for my remaining 4 sets, but watching the videos my form was terrible. I'm going to attempt 135lbs again next workout, and if I fail I'll deload in accordance with the SL5x5 program. Feelsbadman to fail this early in the program.

Food

I decided to up my calories to at least 3k on workout days. At this point I just want to be STRONGER. I don't even care if I put on a little fat. I had some friends over for a salmon BBQ tonight. I ate at least 12oz of salmon and 3x as much food as anyone else. I'm starting to get the reputation for being a huge pig For a late night snack I finally tried the B&Js Half Baked Froyo that everyone seems to rave about. To be honest... I wasn't impressed. The mix-ins were good, but the yoghurt base just wasn't as good as real icecream. I don't have much of a sweet tooth... I like my desserts to be rich. Smaller portions of "real" dessert > healthy alternatives.

Cedar Plank Sockeye Salmon with molasses-bourbon dipping sauce, grilled pineapple and squash. Went back for seconds and thirds!

Ate about 1/2 the pint. Meh.

Daily Macros: 267P/234C/139F 3,260 Cals

June 25th 2011 - Day 9

Workout

Squats 5x5 - 135lbs
    Bench Press 5x5 - 95lbs
    Upright Row 1x5 - 75lbs

Wow... what a difference a few days and a ton of food can make. I failed to complete my squats last workout which was really discouraging because I'm still at such a low weight. Today I woke up with incredible energy, went strait to the gym, and smashed out 5 sets of squats with good form. Maybe it was upping my cals and finally getting my diet in check again. After my workout I was on my feet doing physical labor all day at a mining/lumberjacking carnival and competition. I realize that shoveling gravel for 3 hours after weight lifting probably impedes physical recovery, but what can I do other than get a good nights sleep tonight and eat as much as I can possibly shove into my mouth. Counting calories wasn't feasible today so instead I just used whey shakes to get my required protein.

Food

I spent all day at a carnival meaning lots of kettle corn, cotton candy, ice cream, and a teriyaki skewers. I came home to a surprise belated birthday party with.... even more BBQ food and sweets! If I don't gain weight while eating like this I don't know what to do.

Massive pork Brats!

Ma's German Chocolate cake for a belated birthday party, homemade frosting and all. Best cake I've ever eaten.

oats_addict is just really nice. (+1000) oats_addict is just really nice. (+1000) oats_addict is just really nice. (+1000) oats_addict is just really nice. (+1000) oats_addict is just really nice. (+1000) oats_addict is just really nice. (+1000) oats_addict is just really nice. (+1000) oats_addict is just really nice. (+1000) oats_addict is just really nice. (+1000) oats_addict is just really nice. (+1000) oats_addict is just really nice. (+1000)
    That cake man, dammmm
    140bpm all day every day

June 27th 2011 - Day 10

Workout

Squats 5x5 - 135lbs
    Overhead Press 5x5 - 70lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 - 165lbs

Progress Since 06/01
    Squat: +30lbs
    Bench Press: +10lbs
    Deadlift: +20lbs
    Barbell Row: +10lbs
    OH Press: +10lbs
    Weight: +2lbs

Workout went well. Decided to take it easy and not increase weights on squat or OHP until I recover a bit and start the next cycle. Looking back on the past month, my progress seems disproportionate. I probably could have been more aggressive at upping my deadlift and bench press weights. My work trip totally screwed up my linear progression. Over the next month I plan on upping cals and trying to better follow the SL5x5 program and add 5lbs to each lift every workout until I exhaust my gains.

Food

English Muffin with chunky PB/Strawberry Jelly.
    Macros: 260cals 8P/9F/36C

4oz Homemade smoked almonds
    Macros: 690cals 20P/62F/20C

Last piece of homemade German Chocolate Cake. So good.
    Macros: ?????

Daily Macros 249P/258C/124F 3,132Cals + cake

June 28th 2011 - Day 11

Rest Day

Fishing!

Grilled Salmon/Veggies

Daily Macros 190P/321C/104F 2,980Cals

July 2nd 2011 - Day 13

Workout

Squats 5x5 - 140lbs +5lbs
    Bench Press 5x5 - 100lbs +5lbs
    Upright Row 5x5 - 80lbs +5lbs

Weigh-in: 152 +1lbs

Another amazing workout. My linear progression seems to be back on track... I added 5lbs to all 3 lifts this week and completed all sets. Getting my diet on track must have made a huge difference. 3k+cals is amazing. I weighed in at 152, but I'm worried that a lot of my increase may just be glycogen/water weight. I think I might up to 3,500cals because my activity levels have been so high lately.

After my workout I went fishing for king salmon for the first time this year. The day started off terribly... Lost 3 kings (one of which was at least 30lbs) because the lines broke or lures failed. Luckily by the end of the day we managed to land a modest ~20lb king. When we sliced it open we found that it was the elusive "white" king salmon. White King salmon have a genetic mutation which causes their flesh to be white instead of red. They're only found in a small area of Alaska and generally caught in the winter. I was completely shocked to catch one today. White Kings are supposedly the best tasting salmon in existence, and fillets fetch ridiculous prices in restaurants.

Dinner for tonight: White King and Phish Food. Will report taste test results!

Last edited by NordAK; 07-03-2011 at 12:12 AM.

ianisby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ianisby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ianisby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ianisby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ianisby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ianisby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ianisby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ianisby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ianisby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ianisby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ianisby will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Where have you been fishing???

Originally Posted by ianisby View Post
    Where have you been fishing???

July 4th 2011

Workout

Squats 5x5 - 145lbs
    Overhead Press 5x5 - 75lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 - 185lbs

I ended up having an IF sort of day yesterday. I got called into work for an emergency and missed breakfast and lunch. I didn't make it to the gym until 3:00PM and just had a small smoothie before I lifted. The workout went ok. My lifts were all up and I completed all sets. The deadlifts felt BRUTAL... today I have DOMS in my glutes and hamstrings for the first time. Hopefully this next 2 days of rest will help me recover.

When I got home it was time for a seafood feast.

Food

Appetizers - Smoked Salmon, Crab, Summer Sausage, Smoked Gouda, Crackers

White King Salmon seasoned with garlic and pepper, Grilled Pineapple

Not Pictured: Garlic Bread, Caesar Salad, Baked Alaska

The White King was delicious and the fattiness helped it absorb a strong smoked flavor. It looked almost exactly like halibut when it was cooked, which I found kind of disconcerting. I think I prefer normal salmon simply because the rich pink color of perfectly cooked salmon adds something. After dinner we had Baked Alaska for dessert which was amazing... no pictures because it would have been socially awkward to break out the camera.

Verdict: Buy normal Alaskan King

After Dinner there was lots of alcohol and late night pizza. I stumbled home drunk but still managed to fix a bowl of cottage cheese to make sure I hit my protein macros - can't be perfect every day

So jelly of that salmon man, easily my favourite source of protein. Its so expensive over here I havent really been eating it lately.
    ..and grilled pineapple is so simple yet so awesome! Especially with a dusting of cinnamon.
    140bpm all day every day

hheck50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hheck50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hheck50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hheck50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hheck50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hheck50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hheck50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hheck50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hheck50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hheck50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hheck50 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Holy ****... I read this opening post and thought it was me. I'm a bit younger than you but I also used to be overweight, dropped to 135, struggled with cold, became obsessed with dieting, realized how weak I was, then started Stronglifts 5x5. I'm still weak because I'm afraid of going back to what I once was.. but you've helped give me courage! In for sure and would you mind if I also shared some of my lifts because we have very similar stats ( except you have the courage to eat more than I do)

Good luck!

Originally Posted by oats_addict View Post
    So jelly of that salmon man, easily my favourite source of protein. Its so expensive over here I havent really been eating it lately.
    ..and grilled pineapple is so simple yet so awesome! Especially with a dusting of cinnamon.
    I feel lucky to live in one of the few places in the world where its still possible to catch wild salmon. Most people who say they don't like seafood simply haven't had properly cooked fresh salmon. I think the price in the states for fresh salmon fillets is usually about $15.00/lb... how much is it in Australia?

Cinnamon on grilled pineapple sounds amazing... I've actually never tried seasoning it!

Originally Posted by hheck50 View Post
    Holy ****... I read this opening post and thought it was me. I'm a bit younger than you but I also used to be overweight, dropped to 135, struggled with cold, became obsessed with dieting, realized how weak I was, then started Stronglifts 5x5. I'm still weak because I'm afraid of going back to what I once was.. but you've helped give me courage! In for sure and would you mind if I also shared some of my lifts because we have very similar stats ( except you have the courage to eat more than I do)

Good luck!
    When I first started 5x5 about 2 months ago I was still eating about 2k/day while lifting and doing a ton of cardio with a moderately active job. I was so far below my TDEE that upping cals by 100-200 a week just caused me to stall way too early. Now I eat 3k+ a day, only do cardio for fun, and I feel like I could still up my cals! After I worked up the courage to make a big jump in cals (thanks to this forum) I've only put on 3lbs, which is still a little too slow. Now that I'm consistently adding weight to my lifts every week, I know that my weight gain is a good part muscle and I don't fear getting back to how I used to be. After years of dieting and learning to enjoy cardio, cutting 4-5lbs of fat on 2500cals/day will be a joke.

5x5 is a great program, but you just gotta eat above maintenance if you want to keep up with linear progression. Have courage bro... keep me updated!

July 6th 2011

Workout

Squats 5x5 - 145lbs +0lbs
    Bench Press 5x5 - 100lbs +0lbs
    Upright Row 5x5 - 85lbs +5lbs

Weigh-in: 153 +0lbs

I decided to try box squats for the first time to focus on sitting back and driving up from the hip. I also focused on pressing forward with my chest and looking strait during the ascent. With less of the weight being lifted on my quads the lift actually seemed easier. Today I have a strange pain in my sternum area - I'm not sure if this is a muscle or what -but I don't think its anything to be worried about. No DOMS in my quads post-workout for the first time since I started lifting.

Lunch: Massive chili dog - probably at least 1000cals.

Family dinner - Honey Glazed Ham, mashed potatoes, coleslaw

Mini Fudge Brownies, 7-layer bars, Sugar Cookies MMMMM

It was another day where it wasn't plausible to track macros, but I can safely say that I hit my protein requirement and ate well over 3k cals. I seem to be making good progress with this strategy, so I wont be too strict about counting cals until I'm back in school this fall and have better control over what I eat.