ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Angry Benching more with dumbbells than with a barbell.

For the whole of this year I've been training with dumbbells and recently I thought I might as well switch up my routine.

I found that I can't bench the same weight with the barbell that I do with the dumbbells. i.e. I was using 2x40kg (2x88lbs) dumbbells on the flat bench for 8 reps (without a spot) but couldn't even do one rep of 80kg (176lbs) with the bar.

In my opinion this is ****ing weird and I would appreciate any advice as to how to correct this because I know for sure that your supposed to bench more using the bar than with dumbbells.

Gstaaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gstaaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gstaaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gstaaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gstaaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gstaaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gstaaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gstaaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gstaaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gstaaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gstaaan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You did take into consideration the weight of the bar right, sounds stupid but just saying
    You might not be used to the movement as you have been so used to doing it with dumbbells so that might affect it in some way, or it could be a technique issue

ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I just posted this. Seems like the exact same reply applies:

forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=691029391&postcount=15

jpjammerson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpjammerson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpjammerson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpjammerson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpjammerson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpjammerson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpjammerson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpjammerson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpjammerson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpjammerson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpjammerson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You're right, that is a little weird.

Even with the added weight of the bar you should usually be able to bench more with the barbell than dumbells.

Just do a power day for upper body and do 3-5 reps on barbell bench to get your strength up quick. Do some narrow grip bench also to get your tris used to the barbell bench
    lettuce turnip the beet

https://soundcloud.com/justin_p_22/savant-how-i-roll-remix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6N3_KXKMYo

***Canadian Crew***

ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) ugzilla will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Gstaaan View Post
    You did take into consideration the weight of the bar right, sounds stupid but just saying.
    You might not be used to the movement as you have been so used to doing it with dumbbells so that might affect it in some way, or it could be a technique issue.
    Yeah I took into consideration the weight of the bar lol. I think the only way to resolve this issue to bench more with the barbell. Hopefully it'll fix itself up. If not, i'll be just come to the conclusion that I'm built freaky lool

Originally Posted by ManVsIron View Post
    I just posted this. Seems like the exact same reply applies:

forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=691029391&postcount=15
    Thanks for that. I don't think its a problem with my form though I've always had good form and not had any shoulder issues.

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Same range of motion?

ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ugzilla View Post
    Thanks for that. I don't think its a problem with my form though I've always had good form and not had any shoulder issues.
    Well, know that you're not alone, regardless. Question you should ask yourself is; is the entire movement really hitting your chest as well as with the dumbbells? If not, you need to figure out a way to get the chest well targeted.

It might sound crazy, but Rich Gaspari has actually been a proponent of using dumbbells INSTEAD of barbell, to work the chest. Why? Because with the barbell, you're simply more restricted. That means IF... your body's structure just happens to be built for the barbell bench press movement... then good for you, you can use it to build mass.

But, some people really should use dumbbells. Because, the bar is simply not allowing them to fully engage their chest the way it should be. This isn't the case with most people. And most guys will totally disagree with what I just said. But, hey, they're not built like us, are they?

Nowadays I actually do the barbell benches last, toward the end of the workout. Totally opposite to what you're 'supposed' to do. Plus you have to swallow your ego. People expect they're gonna see me bench at least 315 for many reps. But, it ain't gonna happen.

Hell I can almost do a behind-the-back barbell wrist curl with the same weight I workout with on the bench. But, most guys can't even bench it, though.

Just build the chest, man. Unless you're a competitive powerlifter, "how much ya bench??" really doesn't freakin' matter. Now, if you would like to get into a calf-lifting competition... or see who can do side laterals with the heavier weight...

Macrae88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Macrae88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Macrae88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Macrae88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Macrae88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Macrae88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Macrae88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Macrae88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Macrae88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Macrae88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Macrae88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Have you just started benching? it takes a while to get the form and technique down right. Also realize that the BB bench press works the muscles different then the DB bench press. Although it is unusual that you are DB pressing more then your BB benching, it's not really unheard of. My guess would be you probably lack form and the muscles that are really worked in the BB bench press are lacking. DB's are the ultimate free weight, and so all your stabilizing muscles get worked. This means that its not just mainly your chest and tri's doing the work, you now have your deltoids, lat's and core picking up on alot of the work now too.

I think that you've developed the stabilizing muscles well through the DB press, but the large muscles like the chest and tri's aren't strong enough to handle the BB bench press at the weight you tried.

Now that you've built up your stabilizers, its time to work on that BB bench press! so lift properly, lift hard and leave your ego at the door. You'll get there mate
    Don't stop when you're tired, stop when you're done.
    _________

bench: 315
    Deadlift: 510
    Squat: 385
    Clean: 275
    40: 5.2
    20 yard shuttle: 4.7
    Box jump: 40inch
    Offensive Tackle, Multiple D1 football offers
    http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1433328/highlights/89009376

dabombesel1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dabombesel1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dabombesel1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dabombesel1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    two different exercises dude, for awhile I was the same way. I started benching more and I can do more than db now by a ton, there really isn't any correlation between db and bb weights treat them completely different and just work on bench for now.

Detroit Hardcore Bros PeteyFunk's Avatar
    PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I used to be the same way, then I really looked at both exercises and realized I just wasn't bringing the dumbells down as far as I should. That being said I was still doing 8 reps with 90's, but they weren't full, or good reps. Make sure your doing both exercises properly, that's what I'd suggest.

LinebackerGod will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinebackerGod will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinebackerGod will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinebackerGod will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinebackerGod will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinebackerGod will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinebackerGod will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinebackerGod will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinebackerGod will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinebackerGod will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinebackerGod will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    post a vid of you doing the same vid with both dbs and bb. this impossible unless you bench like a retard

k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    **usually** different paths of motion during the movement

I usually do barbell. I can lift more weight with barbell than dumbbell. Simply because that is what I am accustomed to.

Most people I've seen (and myself included when I trained with dumbbells) start in the same position as they would a barbell, but then push the weight up in a "V" motion. Although speculation on my part, I believe this hits different stabilizers.

I think you just need to get used to lifting with bb for a while and then you'll be fine.