justib06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) justib06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) justib06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) justib06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) justib06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Your OPINION: Agility Ladders

I have heard mixed feelings about agility ladders. Some say it only helps you get faster at going through the ladders. I personally don't believe this because of the stimuli part of the equation where it trains your brain to fire faster. Anyhow, whats your guys' opinion on it?
    "The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it"
    -- Michelangelo

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It;s a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing."
    -- Anonymous

jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by justib06 View Post
    I have heard mixed feelings about agility ladders. Some say it only helps you get faster at going through the ladders. I personally don't believe this because of the stimuli part of the equation where it trains your brain to fire faster. Anyhow, whats your guys' opinion on it?
    I learnt how to icky shuffle and took .3 of my 40. My brains been firing faster then ever and I'm so close to solving the unified training equation, including the stimuli part.

Definitely worth it.

edit: wasnt actually srs. . .lol
    Last edited by jcameron28; 05-28-2011 at 07:42 PM.
    Aesthetic goals: achieve doyouevenliftmode

bravesrule1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bravesrule1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bravesrule1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bravesrule1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bravesrule1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bravesrule1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bravesrule1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bravesrule1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bravesrule1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bravesrule1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bravesrule1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by jcameron28 View Post
    I learnt how to icky shuffle and took .3 of my 40. My brains been firing faster then ever and I'm so close to solving the unified training equation, including the stimuli part.

Definitely worth it.
    i highly doubt that the agility ladder was what made your 40 time that much faster. i like to use the ladder as a warm-up, but it isn't going to make you faster as far as straight speed. sprints, heavy squats and posterior chain work will make you faster.

jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bravesrule1 View Post
    i highly doubt that the agility ladder was what made your 40 time that much faster. i like to use the ladder as a warm-up, but it isn't going to make you faster as far as straight speed. sprints, heavy squats and posterior chain work will make you faster.
    Ha .... a combination of both is best not one over the other. Ladder drills teach you to fire at your fastest speed while allowing your agility to increase. In what world does a good to excellent speed/agility training program not use ladder drills?

The answer is none ... because the best use a variety of tools.
    =============================================
    My Training Log:
    new log soon!
    =============================================

Strength/Speed Coach Jhawk Fitness's Avatar
    Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm personally not a big fan of ladders. I've posted why in previous threads such as this one; http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...51&postcount=5
    Last edited by Jhawk Fitness; 05-28-2011 at 04:26 PM.
    Director of Sports Performance
    NSCA-RSCC & CSCS , NASM-CES
    Nike SPARQ Trainer

Vist www.TopSpeedTraining.com, also find us on social media:
    http://www.facebook.com/TopSpeedSportsPerformance
    Twitter & Instagram = @TopSpeedLLC

MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100)
    You don't HAVE to, but it can't hurt. As a 240 pound sophomore (before I had my surgeries), I did the 20-yard shuttle in 3.92 seconds, which would have been the fastest at the NFL Combine this year (not hand timed). Not blowing my own horn, but I attribute all of my agility to doing agility ladders and running bleachers, especially doing the Ickey Shuffle and the one where you go sideways and put 2 feet in each. Obviously, like I said, doesn't matter if you do them, but it definitely helps. People will call, BS on my time, but I know it's true, but that's not the point. The point is, ladders won't hurt.

Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by MURDR View Post
    You don't HAVE to, but it can't hurt. As a 240 pound sophomore (before I had my surgeries), I did the 20-yard shuttle in 3.92 seconds, which would have been the fastest at the NFL Combine this year (not hand timed). Not blowing my own horn, but I attribute all of my agility to doing agility ladders and running bleachers, especially doing the Ickey Shuffle and the one where you go sideways and put 2 feet in each. Obviously, like I said, doesn't matter if you do them, but it definitely helps. People will call, BS on my time , but I know it's true, but that's not the point. The point is, ladders won't hurt.
    You're right about that. That time would put you somewhere in the 98th% percentile as far as shuttle times go. Who timed your shuttle run?
    Nike SPARQ Trainer

SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Will this help me run track?

TGxJETS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It's an agility ladder, it's used for AGILITY. You'll be quicker and have quicker feet, I use it because I'm a DB and it keeps my backpedal etc. quick and smooth because my brain is used to the limited space in a ladder.

As stated above, the Icky Shuffle was good for my shuttle as I ran a 4.34 but I was genetically gifted with speed. (4.6 40 laser at 15 with no sports training whatsoever)

SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TGxJETS View Post
    It's an agility ladder, it's used for AGILITY. You'll be quicker and have quicker feet, I use it because I'm a DB and it keeps my backpedal etc. quick and smooth because my brain is used to the limited space in a ladder.

As stated above, the Icky Shuffle was good for my shuttle as I ran a 4.34 but I was genetically gifted with speed. (4.6 40 laser at 15 with no sports training whatsoever)
    Agility=Speed?

JCru13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JCru13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JCru13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JCru13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JCru13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JCru13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JCru13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JCru13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JCru13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JCru13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JCru13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by justib06 View Post
    Agility Ladders were great for me! I play soccer and the quickness that agility ladders gave me was amazing! I am a big fan of them. All the exercises you can do with them gets rid of the monotony of doing the same drill through the ladder.
    - Jeff
    jeff@weighttraining.com
    http://www.weighttraining.com/

MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Jhawk Fitness View Post
    You're right about that. That time would put you somewhere in the 98th% percentile as far as shuttle times go. Who timed your shuttle run?
    It was electronic timing, like they do with the 40-yard dash. My coach used to play at Hawaii, so he got some people to come down and test us. My shuttle was incredibly fast. Like I said, people call BS, but whatever. But my point wasn't to "brag" (as no one will believe me anyways), my point is, agility ladders help tremendously.

Originally Posted by MURDR View Post
    It was electronic timing, like they do with the 40-yard dash. My coach used to play at Hawaii, so he got some people to come down and test us. My shuttle was incredibly fast. Like I said, people call BS, but whatever. But my point wasn't to "brag" (as no one will believe me anyways), my point is, agility ladders help tremendously.
    The NFL Combine shuttles are hand-timed, there is no accurate electronic timing system for the shuttle runs. That's why the Nike SPARQ Timing Cones were discontinued, they kept giving inaccurate readings.

Joe DeFranco even mentions it in the comments here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-58GKr8yEY
    Nike SPARQ Trainer

Originally Posted by Jhawk Fitness View Post
    The NFL Combine shuttles are hand-timed, there is no accurate electronic timing system for the shuttle runs. That's why the Nike SPARQ Timing Cones were discontinued, they kept giving inaccurate readings.

Joe DeFranco even mentions it in the comments here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-58GKr8yEY
    Never knew that, I actually thought it was electronic, thanks for letting me know. But like I said, my point isn't that I'm fast, because I'm not, just saying that ladders can't hurt.

But yeah, just trying to up my own combine numbers, hoping to get a Combine invite 4 years from now as an OL (probably OL). Bench press event will be no problem for me (I think I'll have a realistic shot of breaking Paea's record set this year), shuttle I SHOULD be in the top 5, 40 yard dash, I REALLY need to work on (2 ACL surgeries, gotta get back to being fast, and I will), vertical, I'll be around the middle, so average, and broad jump, I'll also be average. Not sure on 3-cone drill, will probably also be average. But I'm comparing that just to the top performers at the Combine this season...I really want to come out from D3 and get top 5 in each drill for OL and break the bench record.
    Last edited by MURDR; 05-29-2011 at 11:19 AM.

moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I like to use agility ladders in my warm up. I feel that do have some impact on exciting the CNS for the workout if not teaching your feet to be "faster." It works well for me.
    M.S. Exercise Physiology - Powerlifter - Strength and Conditioning Coach - Personal Trainer
    Current goals: Bench 400, Squat 545, Deadlift 550

justib06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) justib06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) justib06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) justib06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) justib06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by moose45 View Post
    I like to use agility ladders in my warm up. I feel that do have some impact on exciting the CNS for the workout if not teaching your feet to be "faster." It works well for me.
    you play college FB?
    "The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it"
    -- Michelangelo

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It;s a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing."
    -- Anonymous

Rugger w/ a throwing prob xxtwistedxx's Avatar
    xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    we used em usually once a week during offseason and preseason (shot/disc/hammer throwers) and theres at least a few that showed some benefit from the quick footwork of doing the various drills. we didnt invest a lot of time in it and like mentioned earlier used it before our actual workout. normally doing ladders (unless youre going nuts on em) wont fatigue you down to the point that its a good workout on its own.

bottom line i think they benefit those with specific technical or CNS issues. or just younger athletes with less experience. case in point was those few throwers I had who could barely walk straight without looking at their feet much less spin in a circle to throw something. a few months between ladders (after awhile they got MUCH better) and a few other exercises their motor abilities were much higher. my higher level athletes I really did not see much improvement in those areas.
    ACE-PT, NSCA, USATF-1
    danprater.blogspot.com - blog for everything related to throws, rugby, training, etc. and stuff that isnt.

Youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ubertoss2000

Throwers
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=122693921