Thread: Beginner Gains

SilentBob222 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SilentBob222 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Beginner Gains

Hey can someone explain beginner gains to me? I know if a person has been away from weights for a long time or if they are new to weightlifting that they can add muscle whilst burning fat?

this sounds kinda of counter-intuitive as a person needs to be on a surplus to gain muscle right?

Taking me for example, I haven't worked out in 3-4 years and am at 220 roughly 25-27% bf (160lbm) goal is 10% bf, which if lbm was retained would be 180.

But would beginner gains allow me to increase my lbm? therefore hit 10% at a higher weight?

Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A lot of it are neurological gains, the brain learning to lift heavier weights by recruiting additional motor units. The muscle WILL get bigger to a degree, from what you'd probably refer to as atrophy from being sedentary. You will find the gains will stop around 2 months-6 months depending on how hard you train, after that dont expect to get any bigger while in a large deficit. With that in mind, many other agree (and disagree) that you can slowly gain strength and a tiny amount of size with proper diet and a small deficit.
    There is always someone less fortunate, with real hunger, with real adversity, who made something of themselves. What is your excuse?

NeedANick is just really nice. (+1000) NeedANick is just really nice. (+1000) NeedANick is just really nice. (+1000) NeedANick is just really nice. (+1000) NeedANick is just really nice. (+1000) NeedANick is just really nice. (+1000) NeedANick is just really nice. (+1000) NeedANick is just really nice. (+1000) NeedANick is just really nice. (+1000) NeedANick is just really nice. (+1000) NeedANick is just really nice. (+1000)
    I read a Lyle McDondald article (not sure if it was his) were he explain the muscles go to rest to spare energy. When you start using those muscles again, they slowly "wake up" to their full potential, thus the so-called newb gains.

I do think your lean body mass will increase. I think it's called recomp?

PS: Newb gains are awesome! I'm down 50lbs at a 2k deficit and weights still going up weekly.
    Last edited by NeedANick; 05-26-2011 at 05:17 PM.
    -ARRIVE
    -RUSTLE JIMMIES
    -LEAVE

*Furiously packing sht since 1991.

SilentBob222 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SilentBob222 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just want to know so that I can set realistic goals. And on how I should proceed. I have been gaining strength this past month and and have seen some changes but I really wasnt focused on a goal.But now I'm getting serious and want to get down to 10%, and if I gain some strength that would be awesome.

NeedANick is just really nice. (+1000) NeedANick is just really nice. (+1000) NeedANick is just really nice. (+1000) NeedANick is just really nice. (+1000) NeedANick is just really nice. (+1000) NeedANick is just really nice. (+1000) NeedANick is just really nice. (+1000) NeedANick is just really nice. (+1000) NeedANick is just really nice. (+1000) NeedANick is just really nice. (+1000) NeedANick is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by SilentBob222 View Post
    I just want to know so that I can set realistic goals. And on how I should proceed. I have been gaining strength this past month and and have seen some changes but I really wasnt focused on a goal.But now I'm getting serious and want to get down to 10%, and if I gain some strength that would be awesome.
    If you're lifting for the first time, definitely.

I started out working out a few months ago and I was bench pressing 45lbs (lol, just the bar), now I bench 125lbs and next week I'm going for 135lbs.

All my weights are going up considerably after almost 7 months of heavy lifting. I can feel my muscles are growing, so I'm guessing that improves LBM.

I just wish my newb gains keep showing up until I lose another 100lbs (finishing my cut). Doubt it though. My biceps already stopped.
    -ARRIVE
    -RUSTLE JIMMIES
    -LEAVE

*Furiously packing sht since 1991.

well its only been a month, and I've lost 2 inches off my waist but no weight and lifts have gone up:

squat 95-150
    bench 95-145
    row 80-120
    press 60-110
    deadlift 115-185

I'm starting to get serious about my diet now, however, and was wondering how many calories I should be taking in? deficit or maintenance?

right now I do a fb routine 3x week with 30 mins cardio everyday some days I'll push my self and end up doing 60. However, I am thinking of splitting my routine into upper/lower or push/pull.

Inconspicuous female. JennaClaire's Avatar
    JennaClaire is just really nice. (+1000) JennaClaire is just really nice. (+1000) JennaClaire is just really nice. (+1000) JennaClaire is just really nice. (+1000) JennaClaire is just really nice. (+1000) JennaClaire is just really nice. (+1000) JennaClaire is just really nice. (+1000) JennaClaire is just really nice. (+1000) JennaClaire is just really nice. (+1000) JennaClaire is just really nice. (+1000) JennaClaire is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    A lot of it are neurological gains, the brain learning to lift heavier weights by recruiting additional motor units. The muscle WILL get bigger to a degree, from what you'd probably refer to as atrophy from being sedentary. You will find the gains will stop around 2 months-6 months depending on how hard you train, after that dont expect to get any bigger while in a large deficit. With that in mind, many other agree (and disagree) that you can slowly gain strength and a tiny amount of size with proper diet and a small deficit.
    This..... Protein synthesis to add muscle takes time usually. Mainly, in the beginning, it is all about neurological changes with increasing that connection between the brain and muscle.
    "Impatience never commanded success."

"boulder shoulders" fade2green514's Avatar
    fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    muscle growth is stimulated by the nervous system as well as the endocrine system. it takes time for these systems to fully kick into gear and in the case of your nervous system, to fire your muscle fibers properly.

in my opinion it also has to do with the fact that your body will build muscle on practically ANY diet when you havent worked out before. ever heard that anything will work for 6 weeks? thats because most people won't change their diet and their nutrition will hold their gains back.

Originally Posted by JennaClaire View Post
    This..... Protein synthesis to add muscle takes time usually. Mainly, in the beginning, it is all about neurological changes with increasing that connection between the brain and muscle.
    so I shouldn't really beat myself up as its more the brain relearning/learning new movement patterns.