desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Neglected and Forgotten....Warming Up for the Average Joe

The Warm Up- For the Average Joe

Consistently neglected, always overlooked, the warm up. I'll be honest, I rarely warmed up for my weight lifting workouts until a few months ago. I always regarded the warm up as unnecessary and just a nuisance. It was something that was inhibiting me to getting to the weights and lifting. I can guarantee that most people feel this way. Come on, who wants to walk on a tread mill for minutes on end and then do stretching, most people just want to go straight into the gym and lift. Not to mention, the amount of time that some prescribed warmups can take is ridiculous. Who really has time to stretch for 20 minutes before they lift?

So...whats the point of warming up? Well, its basically done to get blood moving through your body and prepare your body for bigger and better things, like going to lift some heavy weights! Warming up also serves as a way to help your body prevent injury. By being warmed up and having your blood moving, you're less likely to suffer injury in training due to your muscles not being properly prepared to lift.

Warming up also has other unspoken benefits though. It can help you set new personal records! By warming up correctly, your body will be peaked and ready to start lifting some heavy weight, therefore allowing your body to be in the perfect condition to set pr's. Warming up is also the perfect time to get some conditioning in and get stronger. OH NO I HATE CONDITIONING AND RUNNING. Well, thank goodness for you we'll be doing some GPP (General Physical Preparedness) that isn't running and can be done in your weight room. GPP serves to increase your work capacity, which means its going to help you condition your body to be able to do more work before getting too tired! How do you do this? Well..you basically take some exercises and perform them and then slowly increase the volume of each exercise over time.

Some Cliffs so far:
    Why should you warm up?: Get your body ready to workout, injury prevention, help you set new pr's and get in shape.

Well, lets take a look at a warmup that will require less than ten minutes of your time and get you into some type of shape!

- Walk! for 5 minutes, whether on a treadmill, elliptical...it doesn't matter. Just walk!
    - Deep Bodyweight Squats: 1 set of 10 reps
    - Pushups: 1 set of 10 reps
    - GHR/Back Raise: 1 set of 10 reps
    - Chinups: 1 set of 5

Thats it? Yep, thats its. That's your warmup. Perform all exercises (excluding the walking) with an urgent pace. That means you better complete all of them in under 3-5 minutes.

Perform that warmup before every training session.

Progression:
    How do you progress with your warmup? Well, once you feel comfortable, say after 2 weeks, increase the volume! Increase each exercise to 2 sets from the previous 1 set and then after another 2-3 weeks, increase each exercise to 3 sets!

But stop there! Only do three sets max for each exercise, you don't want to get too tired for your workout.
    After a few months of this warmup, feel free to add in some more exercises, like what?
    Well...
    - Bodyweight Dips
    - Cassock Squats
    - Crunches
    - Hanging Leg Raises
    - Inverted Rows
    - Lunges
    ...essentially any compound bodyweight exercise you can think of. Progress with these as you do with the exercises above. Eg. start with 1 set and work up to 3 sets.

Make sure you keep your total number of exercises to 7 or less though...you don't want your warmup turning into your workout!

And thats it. By warming up in this fashion, you will significantly increase blood flow in your body prior to lifting, therefore allowing you to lift better and heavier! You will also increase your work capacity and get in extra reps allowing you to become stronger and more conditioned!

*A key aspect to remember though is this....make sure you perform your warmup with a medium-fast pace. The warmup isn't to lazily go through, its to get you huffing and puffing, get you sweaty and get the blood flowing. Make it a goal to complete your workout in less than 10 total minutes.

BlazinBrazil1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) BlazinBrazil1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) BlazinBrazil1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) BlazinBrazil1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) BlazinBrazil1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) BlazinBrazil1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) BlazinBrazil1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) BlazinBrazil1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) BlazinBrazil1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) BlazinBrazil1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) BlazinBrazil1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by desteph View Post
    The Warm Up- For the Average Joe

Consistently neglected, always overlooked, the warm up. I'll be honest, I rarely warmed up for my weight lifting workouts until a few months ago. I always regarded the warm up as unnecessary and just a nuisance. It was something that was inhibiting me to getting to the weights and lifting. I can guarantee that most people feel this way. Come on, who wants to walk on a tread mill for minutes on end and then do stretching, most people just want to go straight into the gym and lift. Not to mention, the amount of time that some prescribed warmups can take is ridiculous. Who really has time to stretch for 20 minutes before they lift?

So...whats the point of warming up? Well, its basically done to get blood moving through your body and prepare your body for bigger and better things, like going to lift some heavy weights! Warming up also serves as a way to help your body prevent injury. By being warmed up and having your blood moving, you're less likely to suffer injury in training due to your muscles not being properly prepared to lift.

Warming up also has other unspoken benefits though. It can help you set new personal records! By warming up correctly, your body will be peaked and ready to start lifting some heavy weight, therefore allowing your body to be in the perfect condition to set pr's. Warming up is also the perfect time to get some conditioning in and get stronger. OH NO I HATE CONDITIONING AND RUNNING. Well, thank goodness for you we'll be doing some GPP (General Physical Preparedness) that isn't running and can be done in your weight room. GPP serves to increase your work capacity, which means its going to help you condition your body to be able to do more work before getting too tired! How do you do this? Well..you basically take some exercises and perform them and then slowly increase the volume of each exercise over time.

Some Cliffs so far:
    Why should you warm up?: Get your body ready to workout, injury prevention, help you set new pr's and get in shape.

Well, lets take a look at a warmup that will require less than ten minutes of your time and get you into some type of shape!

- Walk! for 5 minutes, whether on a treadmill, elliptical...it doesn't matter. Just walk!
    - Deep Bodyweight Squats: 1 set of 10 reps
    - Pushups: 1 set of 10 reps
    - GHR/Back Raise: 1 set of 10 reps
    - Chinups: 1 set of 5

Thats it? Yep, thats its. That's your warmup. Perform all exercises (excluding the walking) with an urgent pace. That means you better complete all of them in under 3-5 minutes.

Perform that warmup before every training session.

Progression:
    How do you progress with your warmup? Well, once you feel comfortable, say after 2 weeks, increase the volume! Increase each exercise to 2 sets from the previous 1 set and then after another 2-3 weeks, increase each exercise to 3 sets!

But stop there! Only do three sets max for each exercise, you don't want to get too tired for your workout.
    After a few months of this warmup, feel free to add in some more exercises, like what?
    Well...
    - Bodyweight Dips
    - Cassock Squats
    - Crunches
    - Hanging Leg Raises
    - Inverted Rows
    - Lunges
    ...essentially any compound bodyweight exercise you can think of. Progress with these as you do with the exercises above. Eg. start with 1 set and work up to 3 sets.

Make sure you keep your total number of exercises to 7 or less though...you don't want your warmup turning into your workout!

And thats it. By warming up in this fashion, you will significantly increase blood flow in your body prior to lifting, therefore allowing you to lift better and heavier! You will also increase your work capacity and get in extra reps allowing you to become stronger and more conditioned!

*A key aspect to remember though is this....make sure you perform your warmup with a medium-fast pace. The warmup isn't to lazily go through, its to get you huffing and puffing, get you sweaty and get the blood flowing. Make it a goal to complete your workout in less than 10 total minutes.
    Good read.

Do you have any links to articles supporting ur view on warmups? i.e how it can increase ur lifting etc. That would be interesting to read.

Personally I used to warm up by jogging for 5 mins on the treadmill and then do a personalized warmup for the muscle-group of the day. That is, if im doing Chest-Triceps on a day, I will do some pushups (10-15) and some benchpress with very low weight. I then rest and stretch for 5 mins before I start the workout. If im doing Back-Biceps, I will just do some pullups (5-10) in addition to the jogging.

Why do you believe a full-body warmup is needed, when doing specific bodyparts? I feel, and have been told, that jogging and spesific warmups for each day is the best way to warm up.
    ----Stats----

Bench: 295 lb
    Squat: 305 lb
    Deadlift: 250 lb

----Progress----

November 2010: 75kg, ~12%bf
    May 2011: 88kg, ~10%bf

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Say I'm going to do working sets of 405lbs on the deadlift. Would you still advise using your light weight warm up method and then just jumping to my working set weight immediately?
    Have a coaching, training, nutrition question? PM me!

KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I've been particularly cognizant of warm-up of late. Maybe because I'm old as the hills. Maybe because little nagging injuries plagued me in my younger days -- back when I was invincible. It's a fine line to keep the warm-up from interfering with the actual workout -- that is, to expend too much effort on the warm-up.

I'll ordinarily walk with my wife, ending at a brisk pace, before the workout; then, do a simple warm-up set or two of the exercise that I'm doing with very light weight, then moderate weight, then the working set. I'll do these sets at a moderate pace, gently coaxing blood to the area. I'm not panting and sweating before I get into the work set. The difficult thing for me is to get enough warm-up to the target muscle to avoid injury without exhausting the target muscle to the extent that I can't hit the muscle in the working set with heavy weight. I firmly believe that big lifts make big muscles in the proper rep range for hypertrophy. Of course, I'm no exercise physiologist or anything. That's just my experience.

In a heavy compound movement like deadlift, I think it's important to load the bar for some warm-up sets. I don't think a set of an unloaded bar should be the only warm-up before jumping into the working set. That's just too great a leap. That's my two cents.

Great read, though. I agree that warm-up is generally overlooked.

deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000)
    Good read. I agree, I often see people tiring out their muscles when they warm up, only to reduce their working weight. I usually shoot hoops for about 10 minutes before I workout, gets the blood flowing, and pretty much all of the muscles loosened up. Then I will shoot for about 5-10 after my workouts too.

CodyLentz is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodyLentz is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodyLentz is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodyLentz is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodyLentz is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodyLentz is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodyLentz is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodyLentz is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodyLentz is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodyLentz is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodyLentz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Good read.
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CodyLentz?feature=mhee

desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BlazinBrazil1 View Post
    Good read.

Do you have any links to articles supporting ur view on warmups? i.e how it can increase ur lifting etc. That would be interesting to read.

Personally I used to warm up by jogging for 5 mins on the treadmill and then do a personalized warmup for the muscle-group of the day. That is, if im doing Chest-Triceps on a day, I will do some pushups (10-15) and some benchpress with very low weight. I then rest and stretch for 5 mins before I start the workout. If im doing Back-Biceps, I will just do some pullups (5-10) in addition to the jogging.

Why do you believe a full-body warmup is needed, when doing specific bodyparts? I feel, and have been told, that jogging and spesific warmups for each day is the best way to warm up.
    I will be honest, I did not research any scientific articles for my articles. My ideas spawn from my own personal use of the suggested warmup and from reading logs of various lifters on the internet. Most notably the website elitefts.com

In response to you warmup: No doubt your warmup could work for you, warmups should be personalized for ever person, I just give a springboard for people to work with.

I believe that jogging is effective to start the circulation of blood in the body as you have also suggested. I prefer the full body warmup for a few reasons. First, it allows for some conditioning if you've been out of shape for a while and allows the whole body to warmup...most exercises performed involve the entire body, whether it be bench press, deadlift or chinups. So why not get the whole body ready for the workout? Second, my suggested warmup helps with GPP as stated in the original article which I feel is important for any lifter.

In response to the "bench press for a few sets to warm up". I'm assuming thats to warmup before you get into heavier weights for bench press? Essentially warmup sets? If so, I full agree with doing that after the warmup I suggested.

Something I may have not state clearly enough is that the warmup in my original article isn't to be used for doing and then jumping into your workings sets for lifting.

The article gives you a general warmup that should be used to warm up your whole body and get it ready for a workout...this is not a lift specific warmup, it is a general body warmup.

I plan on writing an article soon about how to warm up properly for specific major compound lifts after performing a general body warmup as seen in the above article.

Hope that helps and thank you

Originally Posted by 2020Wellness View Post
    Say I'm going to do working sets of 405lbs on the deadlift. Would you still advise using your light weight warm up method and then just jumping to my working set weight immediately?
    I think you have misinterpreted my goal for the article. The suggested warmup I give is to be used for a general full body warmup, not an exercise specific warmup which I plan on writing an article for soon.

What I would advise is this....perform some type of general body warmup as explained in my article. After this full body warmup is performed, you then go to your deadlifts and perform multiple specific warm up sets for the deadlift leading up to your working sets...

An example would be...
    General Full Body Warmup
    A. BW Full Squats: 2x10
    B. BW Pushups: 2x10
    C. GHR: 2x10
    D. Chinups: 2x5

Deadlift: Multiple specific warm up sets leading up to your heavy work set at 405

Hope that helps

Originally Posted by KeithTheSnake View Post
    I've been particularly cognizant of warm-up of late. Maybe because I'm old as the hills. Maybe because little nagging injuries plagued me in my younger days -- back when I was invincible. It's a fine line to keep the warm-up from interfering with the actual workout -- that is, to expend too much effort on the warm-up.

I'll ordinarily walk with my wife, ending at a brisk pace, before the workout; then, do a simple warm-up set or two of the exercise that I'm doing with very light weight, then moderate weight, then the working set. I'll do these sets at a moderate pace, gently coaxing blood to the area. I'm not panting and sweating before I get into the work set. The difficult thing for me is to get enough warm-up to the target muscle to avoid injury without exhausting the target muscle to the extent that I can't hit the muscle in the working set with heavy weight. I firmly believe that big lifts make big muscles in the proper rep range for hypertrophy. Of course, I'm no exercise physiologist or anything. That's just my experience.

In a heavy compound movement like deadlift, I think it's important to load the bar for some warm-up sets. I don't think a set of an unloaded bar should be the only warm-up before jumping into the working set. That's just too great a leap. That's my two cents.

Great read, though. I agree that warm-up is generally overlooked.
    Thank you

You bring up two very important points that I'd like to address. First is that every warmup needs to be tailored to the individual. It's obvious that due to your past that you need a specific warmup for your own specific body. As a result, you shouldn't follow the warmup as I suggested before to full exactness. Although I do believe you could utilize it in certain ways, you need to first and foremost address old injuries in your warmups. Due to not knowing your injuries, the full extent of your injuries and not being a doctor or physical therapist I'm not going to tell you how you should go about fixing them. But what I would tell you to do is to go to a physical therapist if possible and find out what type of specific warmup you should do for the injured muscle to loosen it up, bring blood to it and strengthen it. After adding injury specific exercises to your warmup, I would then suggest adding two exercises at a time, one upper and one lower, to your general warmup before you begin your lifting. I would suggest bodyweight movements that will allow you to warmup up your body along with getting it stronger eg. pushups and body weight squats. They may seem minuscule, but adding these exercises will help strengthen your body, increase your GPP and make you feel better for when you hit your major compound lifts.

The second important thing you brought up that I'd like to address again is warmup sets for main lifts. I'm not preaching in my article to not use warm up sets for your big main lifts, I'm rather suggesting a full body warmup before you begin your warmups for the main lifts.

I'm a major supporter for doing multiple warmup sets before getting into your working sets for major lifts. My article speaks about the general full body warm up that should be performed before you begin your multiple warm up sets.

I hope that helps!

Originally Posted by deapee View Post
    Good read. I agree, I often see people tiring out their muscles when they warm up, only to reduce their working weight. I usually shoot hoops for about 10 minutes before I workout, gets the blood flowing, and pretty much all of the muscles loosened up. Then I will shoot for about 5-10 after my workouts too.
    Thank you!

Originally Posted by CodyLentz View Post
    Good read.
    Thank you!

proven951 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) proven951 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) proven951 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) proven951 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) proven951 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) proven951 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) proven951 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) proven951 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) proven951 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) proven951 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) proven951 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Angry

pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    good read just need to get the blood flowing and let the prework out kick in, haha...

squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    great post, always a need to be more aware of warming up, another good substitute for the treadmill is the rowing machine, 500m/yds on the rower is a great way to warm up the entire body (shoulders, arms, core, glutes and calves)

stating the obvious here but it is essential to be doing warm-up sets to your exercises also, it helps the body acclimatize to the weight making it a somewhat easier movement

also invest in a foam roller guys, especially for the bigger muscles like your back and glutes, they will love you for it