Schoonie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonie is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Fasting after carb up?

Just wanna hear some thoughts on the idea.

influenceofu is on a distinguished road. (+10) influenceofu is on a distinguished road. (+10) influenceofu is on a distinguished road. (+10) influenceofu is on a distinguished road. (+10) influenceofu is on a distinguished road. (+10) influenceofu is on a distinguished road. (+10) influenceofu is on a distinguished road. (+10) influenceofu is on a distinguished road. (+10) influenceofu is on a distinguished road. (+10) influenceofu is on a distinguished road. (+10) influenceofu is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What is your main goal here? Losing weight or gaining muscle? Also, how long are you planning on fasting? Fasting, especially for extended periods, usually leads to some muscle loss. Why is it that you want to fast?
    Discipline is just being able to decipher between what you want now, and what you want in the long term.

Registered User consolesolution's Avatar
    consolesolution is on a distinguished road. (+10) consolesolution is on a distinguished road. (+10) consolesolution is on a distinguished road. (+10) consolesolution is on a distinguished road. (+10) consolesolution is on a distinguished road. (+10) consolesolution is on a distinguished road. (+10) consolesolution is on a distinguished road. (+10) consolesolution is on a distinguished road. (+10) consolesolution is on a distinguished road. (+10) consolesolution is on a distinguished road. (+10) consolesolution is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i was thinking about doing this as well, not fasting but eating very few calories besides my 1g protein per pound LBM

so like 5 cans of tuna. : = 110 g protein

then have a casein shake before bed.

that should handle any excess calories (or fat) gained on the carb up days and not loose any muscle.

Glutes... they are back Cumulonimbus's Avatar
    Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Why...?
    Just a weight lifter

womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You're one of the ones that binge and call it a carb-up, right?

EDIT: Nevermind, I know who I'm confusing you with.
    Last edited by womanoid; 05-21-2011 at 09:21 PM.
    Bender, part of being human is having self-control. -Amy Wong

Fat loss per month =
    Obese : 6-8%
    Moderately overweight: 4-6%
    Average: 2-4%
    Lean 1-2%
    Very lean .5-1%

^via female sticky on realistic goals

Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by womanoid View Post
    You're one of the ones that binge and call it a carb-up, right?
    I would assume so!
    Just a weight lifter

Schoonie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonie is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    :/ Brutal feedback

Well why would you fast? You think carbs make you fat?
    Just a weight lifter

humzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) humzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) humzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) humzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) humzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) humzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) humzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) humzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) humzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) humzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) humzah will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't think fasting after a carb up would have any particular benefit OR side-effect.

Yes.....I'm that wrestler MASSter's Avatar
    MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Have a true carb-up/refeed with slightly increased calories instead of binging. Then you wouldn't have to do something this extreme the following day. Might be easier to just stick your finger down your throat before you go to bed on carb up night(not srs).

Inthearena is on a distinguished road. (+10) Inthearena is on a distinguished road. (+10) Inthearena is on a distinguished road. (+10) Inthearena is on a distinguished road. (+10) Inthearena is on a distinguished road. (+10) Inthearena is on a distinguished road. (+10) Inthearena is on a distinguished road. (+10) Inthearena is on a distinguished road. (+10) Inthearena is on a distinguished road. (+10) Inthearena is on a distinguished road. (+10) Inthearena is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm guessing the goal would be to get in ketosis faster? I'm not sure how that would make sense.
    Highest weight: ~280lbs

"...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." -Socrates

mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Fasting after a carb up makes no sense as ketosis will still be reached at the same speed as if not fasting because if OP goes back on a ketogenic diet he will not be ingesting many carbs. If anything it will just yield more fat loss if he fasts but at what cost.

corx3 is not very well liked. (-100) corx3 is not very well liked. (-100) corx3 is not very well liked. (-100) corx3 is not very well liked. (-100) corx3 is not very well liked. (-100) corx3 is not very well liked. (-100) corx3 is not very well liked. (-100) corx3 is not very well liked. (-100) corx3 is not very well liked. (-100) corx3 is not very well liked. (-100) corx3 is not very well liked. (-100)
    The metabolism of ketogenic dieting is supposed to mimic the metabolism of starvation (e.g. fat stores are primary fuel source) without actually starving. Therefore, OP, I'd assume that fasting directly after a carb compensation would speed up the abolishment of glycolysis and restablish ketosis faster. After a carb up, you're going to be in glycolysis for sure. A limited fast isn't that bad of an idea. However, I would do your fast day IF style and meet your macros after working out fasted if reestablishing keto quickly is your goal.

If you're in glycolysis after your carb up (AND YOU DAMN WELL SHOULD BE FFS) then you won't be ketogenic for at least a little bit. Fasted training and an IF style day wouldn't only speed this up I'd assume.

I actually do this every Sunday. I fast from roughly 8 PM Saturday (When carb up ends) to 6 PM the next day, where I ingest some fats and protein at the typical keto ratio (65/30) then do a 5 mile run followed up by 45 burpees. I am always in keto by Monday and can then deplete the rest of my glycogen as I please! My only limitation is I always fully deplete on Friday. My fat loss in fantastic, and I've actually put on a little myofibrillar weight
    Last edited by corx3; 05-22-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Much better feed back . Im on the fence with it. Ill see how i feel tomorrow. But if i dont fast my calorie intake is gunna be half. Round 1k total

humzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) humzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) humzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) humzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) humzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) humzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) humzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) humzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) humzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) humzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) humzah will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by corx3 View Post
    The metabolism of ketogenic dieting is supposed to mimic the metabolism of starvation (e.g. fat stores are primary fuel source) without actually starving. Therefore, OP, I'd assume that fasting directly after a carb compensation would speed up the abolishment of glycolysis and restablish ketosis faster. After a carb up, you're going to be in glycolysis for sure. A limited fast isn't that bad of an idea. However, I would do your fast day IF style and meet your macros after working out fasted if reestablishing keto quickly is your goal.

If you're in glycolysis after your carb up (AND YOU DAMN WELL SHOULD BE FFS) then you won't be ketogenic for at least a little bit. Fasted training and an IF style day wouldn't only speed this up I'd assume.

I actually do this every Sunday. I fast from roughly 8 PM Saturday (When carb up ends) to 6 PM the next day, where I ingest some fats and protein at the typical keto ratio (65/30) then do a 5 mile run followed up by 45 burpees. I am always in keto by Monday and can then deplete the rest of my glycogen as I please! My only limitation is I always fully deplete on Friday. My fat loss in fantastic, and I've actually put on a little myofibrillar weight
    hmm. this sounds interesting...no harm in trying

MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I like to fast after carb ups bc I usually feel like crap and am bloated. Eating just makes me feel worse.

Psyfactor312 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Psyfactor312 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Psyfactor312 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Psyfactor312 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Psyfactor312 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Psyfactor312 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Psyfactor312 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Psyfactor312 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Psyfactor312 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Psyfactor312 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Psyfactor312 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How long would you fast for -the whole day? That would be brutal on the muscles.
    I do IF and have a decent keto meal at the end of the first keto-day.
    It doesn't really make a difference if you have keto meals or fast as long as you are keeping your carbs low (below 30) because insulin levels are low - you get into ketosis in 1-3 days depending on how big your carb up was.
    What I realized is that you "demonstrate" being in ketosis on your ketostix if you eat very high fat, but at what cost if you are not calories your macros and just stuffing yourself unnecessarily for a stupid colour.
    Getting fat to reach ketosis, to lose,...what sense does that make?
    When you have been doing keto for some time you'll realize that your body tells you when you are in ketosis (p.e ammonium breath), while the stix may not be positive, because you are using up those ketones.
    I have tried 20g and 30g of carbs for the first few days after carb up and it didn't make a difference when I got into ketosis.

So fasting entirely would IMO rather be destructive and why kill yourself when you can reach the same goal with keto meals.

Originally Posted by Psyfactor312 View Post
    How long would you fast for -the whole day? That would be brutal on the muscles.
    It doesn't really make a difference if you have keto meals or fast as long as you are keeping your carbs low (below 30) because insulin levels are low - you get into ketosis in 1-3 days depending on how big your carb up was.
    What I realized is that you "demonstrate" being in ketosis on your ketostix if you eat very high fat, but at what cost if you are not calories your macros and just stuffing yourself unnecessarily for a stupid colour.
    When you have been doing keto for some time you'll realize that your body tells you when you are in ketosis (p.e ammonium breath), while the stix may not be positive, because you are using up those ketones.
    I have tried 20g and 30g of carbs for the first few days after carb up and it didn't make a difference when I got into ketosis.

So fasting entirely would IMO rather be destructive and why kill yourself when you can reach the same goal with keto meals.
    24 hour fast ain't going to strip your muscles, bro.
    Just a weight lifter

i don't think you have to fast the ENTIRE day to get back into ketosis IMO. Of course, each individual's body is different. I usually go back to eating my suual breakfast and meals after a carb-up.

Edit: like the poster above me said, a 24 hour fast won't have much of an impact on your muscle though if you over-do it, obviously, it will

mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Cumulonimbus View Post
    24 hour fast ain't going to strip your muscles, bro.
    this,

I have 24 hour fasts quite often and I have suffered no ill effects from it.

Psyfactor312 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Psyfactor312 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Psyfactor312 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Psyfactor312 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Psyfactor312 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Psyfactor312 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Psyfactor312 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Psyfactor312 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Psyfactor312 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Psyfactor312 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Psyfactor312 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I didn't say 24 hours. The days are counted differently when on the Warrior Diet (IF).
    If I have my meal of the day every day at 20:00 that is already 24 hours and does no harm.
    What I meant is if you quitted that meal also.
    Probably that wouldn't kill your muscles either, but I think you would be weak and your workouts not so efficient, which is not our goal when we want to build or maintain muscle.

But what I was basically saying is that it doesn't make a difference if you have a meal that doesn't raise insulin or nothing at all, so why torture yoursef after a a carb up, if you can enjoy a keto meal like eggs for breakfast.

I don't have breakfast, because I never did - it's everyone's choice. ( I do IF every day not just after carbup)

zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I didn't say 24 hours. The days are counted differently when on the Warrior Diet (IF).
    If I have my meal of the day every day at 20:00 that is already 24 hours and does no harm.
    What I meant is if you quitted that meal also.
    Probably that wouldn't kill your muscles either, but I think you would be weak and your workouts not so efficient, which is not our goal when we want to build or maintain muscle.

But what I was basically saying is that it doesn't make a difference if you have a meal that doesn't raise insulin or nothing at all, so why torture yoursef after a a carb up, if you can enjoy a keto meal like eggs for breakfast.

I don't have breakfast, because I never did - it's everyone's choice. ( I do IF every day not just after carbup)
    been there done that it's fine

just don't do it multiple times a week
    [If It Fits Your Macros Crew] - U mad?

[My NFSC CUT]
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133483033

ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by zstanton View Post
    been there done that it's fine

just don't do it multiple times a week
    Question... as to this post and another thread a guy asked on fasting for 24 hrs 2 X week (while his other days were still in deficit). Am reading conflicting info. If the goal is to try to lose a small amt of fat and still preserve as much muscle as possible would or would not a 24 hour fast several times a week result in muscle loss 'if combined with the remaining days result in a large overall deficit'?

ADHD77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cell Regeneration is why you fast.

Originally Posted by Cumulonimbus View Post
    Well why would you fast? You think carbs make you fat?
    Carbs even good carbs, if not utilized will turn into glucose and create inflammation in the body. Which in turn is where you get the belly fat and the dad bod that you see everywhere, so YES Carbs can make you fat!