leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Lifts going down on cut

Hi everyone...I'm cutting and my lifts are going down slightly. For example, I used to be able to eek out 5 reps with x weight for bench press, now I'm lucky to get 3-4. This might be just a question of personal preference, but how much of a decrease in lifts would you generally accept on a cut?

Thank you in advance and I will bless you with my measly rep power

MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You should still be able to increase your lifts while cutting.

What program are you doing?

How substantial is your caloric deficit?

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm currently cutting and my lifts are still going up... But my deficit is around 200 calories or less - maybe that's more of a recomp though...

If you lose too quickly, it makes sense that your lifts are going down. Also, are you still getting enough carbs? My lifts will go down if I cut those too low.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by MrB1g View Post

^^This and how long have you been cutting, and what are your macros?

I still made increases while cutting, most people seem to do just fine until they get down to low bodyfat and significant deficit. I think alot of it is mental, personally. I have found that how I organize my food for the day can make a difference in my energy levels for lifting.
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.

leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks everyone. I am currently doing a four-day upper-lower split from Shannon Clark that I pulled from this site. My deficit ranges (dependent upon daily activity, but I'm usually running around for most of the day at work) from 500-700 calories so I was a little surprised when my lifts stopped progressing...it didn't seem like a big enough deficit to do that. I'm anal-retentive about food weighing and tracking so I know what's going in.

I wondered if the pre-workout/post-workout nutrition might be an issue but I'm still not sure I notice a difference when I work that in to my macros. Maybe this is something I shouldn't assess on a workout-by-workout basis? (And rather look at my lifts over time?)

My macros are 1 g/lb of protein, 0.35 g/lb of fat, and the rest carbs (ranges from 70-125 g/day of carb.) My maintenance is 2200 cals/day and I eat 1600-1700 cals a day (the 1700 days are an extra 16 g of peanut butter for hunger control.)
    Last edited by leggomyeggo; 07-15-2011 at 09:23 AM. Reason: added macros

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by leggomyeggo View Post
    Thanks everyone. I am currently doing a four-day upper-lower split from Shannon Clark that I pulled from this site. My deficit ranges (dependent upon daily activity, but I'm usually running around for most of the day at work) from 500-700 calories so I was a little surprised when my lifts stopped progressing...it didn't seem like a big enough deficit to do that. I'm anal-retentive about food weighing and tracking so I know what's going in.

I wondered if the pre-workout/post-workout nutrition might be an issue but I'm still not sure I notice a difference when I work that in to my macros. Maybe this is something I shouldn't assess on a workout-by-workout basis? (And rather look at my lifts over time?)

My macros are 1 g/lb of protein, 0.35 g/lb of fat, and the rest carbs (ranges from 70-125 g/day of carb.) My maintenance is 2200 cals/day and I eat 1600-1700 cals a day (the 1700 days are an extra 16 g of peanut butter for hunger control.)
    If you are just having an occasional off day, that's normal even when not dieting. I am not sure how you have assessed your pre-workout nutrition, though. Post workout food, who cares lol, when it comes to your lift strengths anyway. Most times I lift 10ish am, and I eat a large breakfast that is fairly (complex) carb heavy (oatmeal and protein powder) at 7-8 or so. If I lift too many hours after breakfast I will feel weaker and a little shaky sometimes. I will often have what some people call their PWO snack/shake an hour before lifting if its been too long since breakfast.
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.

The New World Vulture TheAndeanCondor's Avatar
    TheAndeanCondor is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheAndeanCondor is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheAndeanCondor is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheAndeanCondor is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheAndeanCondor is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheAndeanCondor is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheAndeanCondor is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheAndeanCondor is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheAndeanCondor is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheAndeanCondor is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheAndeanCondor is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MrB1g View Post

He's trying to say you should do Sheiko 37 and eat a diet that is comprised of 90% chicken and rice and 10% seafood.
    Soar like the condor and conquer your dreams!

Originally Posted by TheAndeanCondor View Post
    He's trying to say you should do Sheiko 37 and eat a diet that is comprised of 90% chicken and rice and 10% seafood.
    Yes, I'm sure such a program would get me right to my goals. While I'm at it, I should sprout a third t*t, as that has an equal likelihood of happening.

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Carbs seem low, at least for me. I eat around 150g min, and lift well on that. I start to fizzle at 100g... Also 700 is a pretty big deficit, IMO... Maybe you'd rather lose a little slower in favor of maintaining your strength?
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hi everyone...I'm cutting and my lifts are going down slightly. For example, I used to be able to eek out 5 reps with x weight for bench press, now I'm lucky to get 3-4. This might be just a question of personal preference, but how much of a decrease in lifts would you generally accept on a cut?

Thank you in advance and I will bless you with my measly rep power
    I wouldn't worry about it. It's not unusual to not be able to do the same heaviest weight from one week to the next when eating more. Hitting 3-4 reps instead of 5 isn't a big deal. I'd only be concerned if my weights dropped significantly. On bench if I started struggling more than 10 pounds below my max. I also don't even try 5x5's when leaning out. I save that for when I can eat and feed my muscles and cns.

About 8 weeks into my last leaning out effort I could feel myself not going anywhere in the gym. That was on a 250 cal deficit. So I stopped the process, ate more, regained momentum, and then resumed leaning out.

My worry was primarily that the weights going down/failure to progress represented a loss of lean body mass. If it gets to the point you mentioned (FBM) I will take a diet break and then get back to it. Thanks!