Starting To See Results befamous7's Avatar
    befamous7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) befamous7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How do you feel about late night eating?

Sometimes I find it difficult to fill my macro needs before 9pm and need to eat later in the night time. How do you guys deal with needing to eat later at night? I know I can just fill my needs earlier in the day and often do 3-5 times a week which is why I say sometimes it's difficult to meet my macros before 9. I'm bulking and understand I will be gaining fat no matter what but I don't want late night eating before bed to make me gain more fat than is necessary.

Do you guys say it doesn't matter what time of day it is, I'm meeting my macros OR do you avoid eating later at night/before bed to avoid unnecessary weight gain?

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by befamous7 View Post
    Sometimes I find it difficult to fill my macro needs before 9pm and need to eat later in the night time. How do you guys deal with needing to eat later at night? I know I can just fill my needs earlier in the day and often do 3-5 times a week which is why I say sometimes it's difficult to meet my macros before 9. I'm bulking and understand I will be gaining fat no matter what but I don't want late night eating before bed to make me gain more fat than is necessary. Do you guys say it doesn't matter what time of day it is, I'm meeting my macros OR do you avoid eating later at night/before bed to avoid unnecessary weight gain?
    why does it matter what time of day it is? Think about it, if it's 9pm there then it's 11am somewhere else in the world etc.

Late night eating doesn't make you gain more fat
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

robustt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robustt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robustt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robustt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robustt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robustt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robustt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robustt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robustt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robustt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robustt is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    why does it matter what time of day it is? Think about it, if it's 9pm there then it's 11am somewhere else in the world etc.

Aren't you more likely to store carbs as fat if taken before you sleep? Not trying to disagree, looking for clarification.

MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Fill your macro needs with no worries about what time of day it is, it doesn't matter. 100 calories at 11pm are the same as 100 calories at 11am.

Starting To See Results befamous7's Avatar
    befamous7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) befamous7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post

It matters because I go to sleep around 11pm.

yololego will become famous soon enough. (+50) yololego will become famous soon enough. (+50) yololego will become famous soon enough. (+50) yololego will become famous soon enough. (+50) yololego will become famous soon enough. (+50) yololego will become famous soon enough. (+50) yololego will become famous soon enough. (+50) yololego will become famous soon enough. (+50) yololego will become famous soon enough. (+50) yololego will become famous soon enough. (+50) yololego will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    wtf am i reading .read the stickys pls.op
    goal-160lbs

bf 10%

RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by robustt View Post
    Aren't you more likely to store carbs as fat if taken before you sleep? Not trying to disagree, looking for clarification.
    Nope.

KarD786 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarD786 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarD786 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarD786 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarD786 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarD786 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarD786 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarD786 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarD786 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarD786 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarD786 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    OP, first of all carbs don't store as fat.. You spoke about your macros in the original post, carbs are a macro just like protein and fat. They will all convert to energy via calories. As far as body composition, meal timing is irrelevant. It doesn't matter what time you eat as long as you can hit your macros. So take your time and dont over stress. Carbs protein and fat are always gonna be calories no matter what so take out the notion that carbs store fat. Carbs don't store fat, eating more calories than you burn will.

ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you are trying to loose weight as long as your calories out is > than calories in your in the green regardless of what time it is.

theFGman will become famous soon enough. (+50) theFGman will become famous soon enough. (+50) theFGman will become famous soon enough. (+50) theFGman will become famous soon enough. (+50) theFGman will become famous soon enough. (+50) theFGman will become famous soon enough. (+50) theFGman will become famous soon enough. (+50) theFGman will become famous soon enough. (+50) theFGman will become famous soon enough. (+50) theFGman will become famous soon enough. (+50) theFGman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I used to strictly get my cals in quite early in the day a couple of years ago. Now I don't anymore, because a) I know it doesn't make a difference (from reading and personal experience) and b) I get home late from work, then go gym and then eat another 1k kcal. Works well, don't worry about the time of the day, just make sure you reach your macros. I sleep just as well, have the same amount of energy etc etc. Late eating doesn't affect me badly in any way.

mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Your body is constantly burning and storing fat.

If you are in a deficit by the end of the day regardless of the timing of meals, the net effect is that you will burn more fat than is stored = fat loss.
    You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel.

[IIFYM/Flexible Dieting Crew] - It ain't that hard dummy..

[Former 300+ Crew]

*** Fitness Advice, Tech Reviews and more: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattypaus?feature=guide

BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000)
    I set my alarm clock and wake up in the middle of the night to eat carbs just for the hell of it.

mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by BloodySalad View Post
    I set my alarm clock and wake up in the middle of the night to eat carbs just for the hell of it.
    Good luck with you night time insulin induced fat gains and early death goals of 2012.

[Former 300+ Crew]

*** Fitness Advice, Tech Reviews and more: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattypaus?feature=guide

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good way to keep those glycogen stores full.

OP the pre-bedtime carb that is a very old, but very stubborn myth. Tons of people were doing the warrior diet and getting ripped a decade ago (eating all their carbs at night) and a lot of now currently use intermittent fasting and eat most of our calories at night. Calories in -> calories out. Meal timing is massively less important that most psudeo-experts would have you believe.

BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000)
    Good luck with you night time insulin induced fat gains and early death goals of 2012.
    *sigh*

Back to school for you. Go read up.

Fat gains are purely down to calories in, calories out.
    Insulin effects of a normal carbohydrate meal on fat gain/loss are negligible. You'll get a spike but to induce health problems? You'd need to be consuming a sh!tload of calories above surplus.

*sigh*

Back to school for you. Go read up.

Fat gains are purely down to calories in, calories out.
    Insulin effects of a normal carbohydrate meal on fat gain/loss are negligible.
    Who is that directed at?

[Former 300+ Crew]

TopMiscer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TopMiscer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TopMiscer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TopMiscer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TopMiscer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TopMiscer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TopMiscer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TopMiscer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TopMiscer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TopMiscer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TopMiscer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i eat all my cals in 1-2 big meal near my bed time. (train @ night)

still seeing results
    **Los Angeles MISC Crew**

Originally Posted by mattypoole View Post
    Who is that directed at?
    You. Insulin isn't necessarily a bad thing and neither a high carb diet nor spiking are dangerous or fat inducing.
    Insulin sensitivity also has to be taken into account.

While the research is in its infancy, there have been studies examining the weight loss response relative to either insulin sensitivity or insulin secretion. For the most part, no major difference in terms of weight loss has been found in subjects with different insulin sensitivities (2). However, at least one study found that the specific diet given interacted with baseline insulin sensitivity to determine the magnitude of weight loss (3). In that study, obese women with either high or low insulin sensitivity were placed on either a high carb (60% carb, 20% fat) or low carb (40% carb, 40% fat) diets.

So there were four groups: high carb/insulin sensitive, high carb/insulin resistant, low carb/insulin sensitive, low carb/insulin resistant. The results were intriguing: insulin sensitive women on the high carb diet lost nearly double the weight as insulin sensitive women on the low-carb diet.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...-fat-loss.html

Also take a look at IF. Ordinarily, guys are eating right up until bed-time. Technically, there's no difference between doing that and waking up in the middle of the night to eat.

You. Insulin isn't necessarily a bad thing and neither a high carb diet nor spiking are dangerous or fat inducing.
    Insulin sensitivity also has to be taken into account.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...-fat-loss.html

Also take a look at IF. Ordinarily, guys are eating right up until bed-time. Technically, there's no difference between doing that and waking up in the middle of the night to eat.
    It should have been obvious from my post previous to that one (and my previous contributions in this forum, neither of us are new here) that it was a joke.

[Former 300+ Crew]

Originally Posted by mattypoole View Post
    It should have been obvious from my post previous to that one (and my previous contributions in this forum, neither of us are new here) that it was a joke.
    It should be obvious in my illuminating reply that my jokes are a lot more complex and not as funny.

Sorry man, I shoulda known better that you weren't being serious.

It should be obvious in my illuminating reply that my jokes are a lot more complex and not as funny.

Sorry man.
    haha lol all good mate, my jokes suck so I won't be pointing fingers "

[Former 300+ Crew]

gb8719 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gb8719 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gb8719 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gb8719 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gb8719 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gb8719 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gb8719 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gb8719 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gb8719 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gb8719 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gb8719 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm on a cut right now and last night I ate after the gym and an hour before bed:
    3 cups of brown rice
    10 oz of chicken
    1 scoop of protein powder with berries
    2 rice cakes
    1 cup of greek yogurt with protein powder and peanut butter mixed in.

Still woke up leaner today than I did yesterday.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by befamous7 View Post
    How do you guys deal with needing to eat later at night?
    I deal with it by eating late at night.

What's actually important is to eat to daily requirement by the end of your day, whatever time your day 'ends.'

Do you guys say it doesn't matter what time of day it is, I'm meeting my macros OR do you avoid eating later at night/before bed to avoid unnecessary weight gain?
    The only thing that will promote "unnecessary weight gain" is eating more calories than you burn. IOW, if your maintenance is, say, 3000 cals/day, and you eat only 3000 cals/day, there is no surplus left to cause weight gain.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Stay Strong all year long alex2363's Avatar
    alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by robustt View Post
    last night i had a sirloin and potatoes, after my 2am workout.......
    IIFYM crews ....I Reps back.
    Traditional Wet Shave Crew / I can't hardly wait for tomorrow to come so I can lift then Wet Shave again.