ajb316 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajb316 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajb316 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajb316 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajb316 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajb316 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajb316 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajb316 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajb316 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajb316 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajb316 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Running for Cardio

I'm looking to start dieting for my first ever show and am considering running as cardio.

I use to an endurance running prior to bodybuilding so could soon get use to it again.

I do enjoy running and know it is by far provides the most calorie burn.

I am just a little concerned with muscle loss, especially leg strength as whenver I have done a little running, my leg strength, in particualr squats have suffered.

Am thinking of starting off with real light jogging and go from there, whilst switching to the bike or stepper the day before and day of training legs.

Anyone else used running effectively when prepping for a show?
    My Big 4 Lifts:

Squat: 140kg x 5
    Bench: 110kg x 3
    Deadlift: 180kg x 2
    Military Press: 70kg x 2

red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ajb316 View Post
    If by "running" you mean "high impact cardio" then no. Anything that is really high impact is going to wear your joints down quickly. After just a couple weeks, you'll be hurting. I would suggest sticking to treadmills, bikes, stair mills, etc.

Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    On my off days I don't feel like heading to the gym to solely do cardio so what I do is just wake up, eat a small meal, wait an hour and go out for a light jog where my heart rate stays between 120-130bpm. I see no issues with my leg workouts or size.

adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Nothing wrong with running if you're used to it IMO. Also, HIIT track sprints are a great way to burn fat, and it takes all of 20 minutes most times.

Reid456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reid456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reid456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reid456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reid456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reid456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reid456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reid456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reid456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reid456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reid456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by red_cat View Post
    If by "running" you mean "high impact cardio" then no. Anything that is really high impact is going to wear your joints down quickly. After just a couple weeks, you'll be hurting. I would suggest sticking to treadmills, bikes, stair mills, etc.
    Going to have to disagree with this. Running on treadmills is far worse on your joints than running outside. Also, many people develop running injuries simply because of "running shoes". Basically it's better to run barefoot or with some type of minimalist footwear due to better mechanics. There's a reason why runners have only been getting injured at this high of a rate since the 1970s (when "running shoes" were essentially invented).

Saying that running ruins your joints also when makes no sense when you look at things from an evolutionary standpoint. Humans have been running since forever.

Originally Posted by adamjohn32 View Post
    Nothing wrong with running if you're used to it IMO. Also, HIIT track sprints are a great way to burn fat, and it takes all of 20 minutes most times.
    Also, this. 'If you are used to it' being the key words here.
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Philippians 4:13

No one can limit my success

Current training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149434003

Goals before I'm 30: PhD and natural pro card.

JasonWojo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JasonWojo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JasonWojo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JasonWojo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JasonWojo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JasonWojo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JasonWojo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JasonWojo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JasonWojo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JasonWojo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JasonWojo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ajb316 View Post
    I'm looking to start dieting for my first ever show and am considering running as cardio.

I use to an endurance running prior to bodybuilding so could soon get use to it again.

I do enjoy running and know it is by far provides the most calorie burn.

I am just a little concerned with muscle loss, especially leg strength as whenver I have done a little running, my leg strength, in particualr squats have suffered.

Am thinking of starting off with real light jogging and go from there, whilst switching to the bike or stepper the day before and day of training legs.

I would not do endurance running for cardio unless you have crazy wheels and can afford to lose some muscle, and yes your leg strength will suffer a lot.
    For online training inquiries or to get your Official DC Training DVD, go to www.jasonwojo.com

True Protein Sponsored Athlete: For 5% off your next True Protein order use the discount code WOJO

red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Reid456 View Post
    Going to have to disagree with this. Running on treadmills is far worse on your joints than running outside. Also, many people develop running injuries simply because of "running shoes". Basically it's better to run barefoot or with some type of minimalist footwear due to better mechanics. There's a reason why runners have only been getting injured at this high of a rate since the 1970s (when "running shoes" were essentially invented).

Saying that running ruins your joints also when makes no sense when you look at things from an evolutionary standpoint. Humans have been running since forever.
    Fair enough. I'm just speaking from personal experience. For a few weeks of my prep I was running outside. My joints went to sh*t. I switched to fast walking on an incline or elliptical work and my joints felt ten times better. Yes it's anecdotal, but that's all the proof I need.

Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I would say do whatever you enjoy the most and can get the most out of. As long as your macros and nutrient timing is in order it's not going to matter how you do cardio. Honestly, when you get down to last morsels of fat you just have to try anything that you can get your a** to do. This prep I mainly used my stairstepper but I began to hate it by the end. Even got some anxiety from it. Decided to pump up the tires on my mountain bike for the first time in 2yrs and took it on some hills for good HIIT sessions.
    Founder of the University of Wisconsin Bodybuilding Club

2011 Prep Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=131369463

"Well, you either want this... or you don't" ~LN

Originally Posted by Agostage View Post
    I would say do whatever you enjoy the most and can get the most out of. As long as your macros and nutrient timing is in order it's not going to matter how you do cardio. Honestly, when you get down to last morsels of fat you just have to try anything that you can get your a** to do. This prep I mainly used my stairstepper but I began to hate it by the end. Even got some anxiety from it. Decided to pump up the tires on my mountain bike for the first time in 2yrs and took it on some hills for good HIIT sessions.
    How did you do your HIIT on the mountain bike (gear selection and whatnot)? Getting up early and driving to the gym is KILLING me right now and it'd be sweet if I could eliminate that part of my day.

Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    How did you do your HIIT on the mountain bike (gear selection and whatnot)? Getting up early and driving to the gym is KILLING me right now and it'd be sweet if I could eliminate that part of my day.
    Lol, short gears and steep hills Just don't fall off.
    Founder of the University of Wisconsin Bodybuilding Club

2011 Prep Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=131369463

"Well, you either want this... or you don't" ~LN

Originally Posted by Agostage View Post
    Lol, short gears and steep hills Just don't fall off.
    lol solid. I'll make sure to wear a helmet.

Pro Natural Bodybuilder AustrianOakJr's Avatar
    AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Im in the same boat. My cardio has been increased to the point where I need to fit it in before work. Ive been jogging for two days and I can already feel my knees starting to bother me. I'll probably switch to a bike ride and see how that goes. If not, ill be back to the gym butt-crack early for the elliptical.
    "Who the Son sets free is free indeed....."

WNBF Pro Natural Bodybuilder

Check out my CELLUCOR Supplement log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148746693&pagenumber=

3DMJ Athlete

NGA\IFPA Pro Bodybuilder fltallpaul's Avatar
    fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by AustrianOakJr View Post
    Im in the same boat. My cardio has been increased to the point where I need to fit it in before work. Ive been jogging for two days and I can already feel my knees starting to bother me. I'll probably switch to a bike ride and see how that goes. If not, ill be back to the gym butt-crack early for the elliptical.
    Running with your level of leanness is going to be hard on your joints buddy. I use the bike almost exclusively the latter part of prep. I like the eliptical as well but my heights makes it tough on my back after any real length of time.

My favorite is the recumbent bike, no back strain from sitting up, just peddle away!
    Contest Prep Coach

Paul@ProPhysique.com

Core Nutritionals/Outwork Apparel Athlete

NGA & IFPA Pro Bodybuilder

notmike5 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up

Only the real ones run toward their objectives, outside, on dirt like God intended

Intelligent cardio is how you shirk the mortal coil, incinerate fat, and become legend

Debate me, u cant