lahkesis85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question regarding post-workout shake.

I've always followed my weight-training session with 30 minutes of HIIT cardio to keep my system in fat-burning mode. However, I've been confused as of when exactly to take the recovery (post-workout) shake. Before, I used to take it right after my last rep and then do cardio but I found out it is hard to sprint or jump rope with a full protein shake in your stomach. Then recently, I've been taking the post-workout shake at the very end of my HIIT cardio workout but that would be 30-40 minutes after my last weight-training rep and for some reason I don't feel my muscles fueled like they should. It feels like I waited too long to take that post-workout shake. I came here in an attempt to find the answer. So the question is; "Is it better to take the post-workout shake right after my last rep and then move on to HIIT cardio? Or right at the very end of my training day (after cardio)?

Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Meal frequency and timing is irrelevant. You can take your shake 1 hour after your workout, it'll do the same effect as if you took it right after your last set.
    https://www.instagram.com/brunobastos_93/
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCshN_nywHWNFH836xZ7VjtQ?view_as=subscriber

I Am A Registered User alexbowley247's Avatar
    alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Bruno93 View Post
    Meal frequency and timing is irrelevant. You can take your shake 1 hour after your workout, it'll do the same effect as if you took it right after your last set.
    What's the science behind this? Fancy posting studies?
    It's hard to believe that if you just ate one badass meal in the morning that you'd be set for the day
    Not doubting it, just would like to read studies on the matter.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    A lot of people have said that the timing does matter so I share Alex's skepticism about this. I recall a vid by Ori Hofmekler of Dragon Door who said it's good to wait an hour, forget why though.

Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by alexbowley247 View Post
    It's hard to believe that if you just ate one badass meal in the morning that you'd be set for the day
    You don't have to look far. You just have to look. This has been studied to death. Then, much to our amusement, over-analyzed to death on this board.

To the OP, if you are eating a healthy, high protein diet, you will be fine drinking a post-workout shake after you have completed your cardio. Under-fueled muscles is all in your head. Plenty of bodybuilders just eat a good meal and don't even rely on a shake at all.

Stop over-analyzing. Just eat right, get plenty of rest, and lift. You'll grow.
    Semper Fidelis

Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Most labels quote something about your muscles being "hungriest" up to 45 minutes after your workout. Don't ask me for a study, Im just repeated what I've read on post workout shakes labels. So if the cardio doesn't count as part of the workout, your still within that window. Although Id believe if your intensity is up, you'd have 45 minutes after your cardio to consume.

I take mine after my cardio as well for the same reason you mentioned. I can't say I've missed out on any benefits from waiting to drink the shake.

In the end I agree with Bruno.
    We don't rise to the occasion, we fall to our level of training.

I was born a shotgun in my hands. Behind the gun I'll make my final stand and that's why they call me Bad Company

Sensible Liberals for Trump 2016 Crew

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by alexbowley247 View Post
    Basic physiology. The average meal is still being digested after 5 hours. Unless someone just ran a marathon, and is getting ready to run another one in an hour, meal timing is largely a non-issue. Despite what the supplement companies would have you believe, it's not possible to "force nutrients into the muscles" (or any of the other BS catchphrases they use to snag suckers) any faster by eating massive quantities of protein, or by eating a dozen times a day, or by slugging down a shake within microseconds of the end of a workout.

What's really important is to take in your daily requirement of macros by day's end.

BTW, there are several guys regularly posting on this site, with impressive physiques, who only eat once or twice a day.

If you really want to find out what's up with current nutrition research, look here:
    http://www.alanaragon.com/Home.html

Be prepared to see some sacred cows slaughtered, as I did when I came across his work a couple of years ago.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    Most labels quote something about your muscles being "hungriest" up to 45 minutes after your workout. Don't ask me for a study, Im just repeated what I've read on post workout shakes labels. So if the cardio doesn't count as part of the workout, your still within that window. Although Id believe if your intensity is up, you'd have 45 minutes after your cardio to consume.

I take mine after my cardio as well for the same reason you mentioned. I can't say I've missed out on any benefits from waiting to drink the shake.

In the end I agree with Bruno.
    The key words there being "they are on the post-workout shake's labels".

The supps industry really knows how to hit the supp kiddies where they are weakest................ which is between the ears.
    Semper Fidelis

Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Birddog6424 View Post
    The key words there being "they are on the post-workout shake's labels".

The supps industry really knows how to hit the supp kiddies where they are weakest................ which is between the ears.

This is very true.

The Kool-Aid just tastes so good sometimes!
    We don't rise to the occasion, we fall to our level of training.

I was born a shotgun in my hands. Behind the gun I'll make my final stand and that's why they call me Bad Company

Sensible Liberals for Trump 2016 Crew

lahkesis85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Birddog6424 View Post
    You don't have to look far. You just have to look. This has been studied to death. Then, much to our amusement, over-analyzed to death on this board.

To the OP, if you are eating a healthy, high protein diet, you will be fine drinking a post-workout shake after you have completed your cardio. Under-fueled muscles is all in your head. Plenty of bodybuilders just eat a good meal and don't even rely on a shake at all.

Stop over-analyzing. Just eat right, get plenty of rest, and lift. You'll grow.
    I appreciate it. Thank you!