squidthunder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squidthunder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squidthunder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Keto Newbie - need help, mentor, advice....all of the above

Hey guys,

Like the title says, I'm a complete newbie to the Keto program, but I've been slowly doing some research and I want to give it a try.

That being said, I would love any help or assistance to get me started.

Currently I'm 6'5", 275 pounds and between 20-25% BF. Would love to get down to the 245-255 range.

I've read about the 2 options for Keto - CKD and TKD. Which option seems to be the norm for 1st time Keto users?

I do train alot in the gym, and I'm currently using some of the training programs from the TT training manuals. Do you need to change up the workout programs with the addition of the Keto program?

Does anyone have a sample food plan to follow to help the process?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get informed and get as much info as I can before I jump into trying this program.

thanks

leejiayun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leejiayun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leejiayun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leejiayun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leejiayun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leejiayun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leejiayun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leejiayun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hmm.. i'm no expert about it but i guess most would suggest just completing your induction then carb-up when you feel like you need to after the initial 14days..

i guess, ckd or tkd is really up to you? personally, i do skd - ie, no carb ups unless absolutely necessary.. which thus far, has been none (except for one day where i just ate about 2bars of chocolate and 1 farley's rusk just out of cravings..) that being said, im almost a full month on pure keto already though.. since i started counting the days.. but have been on and off it previously too..

food wise, just keep to your 65/30/5 ratio and all is good.. i tend to sway away slightly day to day.. but at the end of the week, it's usually balanced out..

also, i never really saw the need to change up my workout programme per se but i have and this is what i got.. initially, was working out daily with about 3-5hours of MA classes a day, and lifting 2-3 times a week.. loss was ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL. now, i have started schooling.. only my second week in school.. im working out 2-3times a week and have cut out MA classes, because of schedule.. but on all my workout days i lift as heavy as i can, and hit the iron full body instead of splits due to lower frequency of training + my goal is fat loss first. i add in 30-45mins of LISS after my weights workout everytime though.. so far, the losses have slowed down considerably.. my scale is in KGs, and it hasn't budged, if any at all.. but i attribute that to the sudden decrease in training.. however, it hasn't gone up too.. im eating 1200cals a day on non-workout days.. on workout days, i start to panic when i hit 1200, but i cut some slack and eat if i feel hungry even if its over 1200.. just keep carbs below 30g.. if <20g, all the better (:

squidthunder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squidthunder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squidthunder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by leejiayun View Post
    hmm.. i'm no expert about it but i guess most would suggest just completing your induction then carb-up when you feel like you need to after the initial 14days..

i guess, ckd or tkd is really up to you? personally, i do skd - ie, no carb ups unless absolutely necessary.. which thus far, has been none (except for one day where i just ate about 2bars of chocolate and 1 farley's rusk just out of cravings..) that being said, im almost a full month on pure keto already though.. since i started counting the days.. but have been on and off it previously too..

food wise, just keep to your 65/30/5 ratio and all is good.. i tend to sway away slightly day to day.. but at the end of the week, it's usually balanced out..

also, i never really saw the need to change up my workout programme per se but i have and this is what i got.. initially, was working out daily with about 3-5hours of MA classes a day, and lifting 2-3 times a week.. loss was ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL. now, i have started schooling.. only my second week in school.. im working out 2-3times a week and have cut out MA classes, because of schedule.. but on all my workout days i lift as heavy as i can, and hit the iron full body instead of splits due to lower frequency of training + my goal is fat loss first. i add in 30-45mins of LISS after my weights workout everytime though.. so far, the losses have slowed down considerably.. my scale is in KGs, and it hasn't budged, if any at all.. but i attribute that to the sudden decrease in training.. however, it hasn't gone up too.. im eating 1200cals a day on non-workout days.. on workout days, i start to panic when i hit 1200, but i cut some slack and eat if i feel hungry even if its over 1200.. just keep carbs below 30g.. if <20g, all the better (:
    Thanks for the reply. I'm still not sure if I'll do CKD or TKD, but I'm leaning towards CKD first. Any idea how much carbs you can take during the weekend "carb-up" phase?

So, pretty much insure the 65/30/5 ratio and no need to really change the workout plan.

Is there any specific veggies I should stay clear of? I no fruit is out of the question during the plan, but I really want to make sure I get in as much veggies as I can to help my fiber intake as well.

Also, did you deal with any of the sluggish or foggy days when on the plan? How long do you keep on the plan?

Thanks again

rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by squidthunder View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I'm still not sure if I'll do CKD or TKD, but I'm leaning towards CKD first. Any idea how much carbs you can take during the weekend "carb-up" phase?

So, pretty much insure the 65/30/5 ratio and no need to really change the workout plan.

Is there any specific veggies I should stay clear of? I no fruit is out of the question during the plan, but I really want to make sure I get in as much veggies as I can to help my fiber intake as well.

Also, did you deal with any of the sluggish or foggy days when on the plan? How long do you keep on the plan?

Thanks again
    stick to fibrous green veggies. as for the carb up, only carb up when workouts are being hindered, otherwise, theres no need to, since carb ups are used to restore glycogen which i used during intense, strenuous activities. also, try out 400-500g carbs for your first carb up. see if that restores your glycogen enough for the following week. then for next carb up, increase/decrease based on the results of your last carb up.

you should only feel sluggish ~3 days into keto. i personally didn't. saturated fats and MCT's from coconut oil and coconut milk helped with that

Originally Posted by rob2093124 View Post
    stick to fibrous green veggies. as for the carb up, only carb up when workouts are being hindered, otherwise, theres no need to, since carb ups are used to restore glycogen which i used during intense, strenuous activities. also, try out 400-500g carbs for your first carb up. see if that restores your glycogen enough for the following week. then for next carb up, increase/decrease based on the results of your last carb up.

you should only feel sluggish ~3 days into keto. i personally didn't. saturated fats and MCT's from coconut oil and coconut milk helped with that
    Thanks for the reply.

So, I can rock a protein shake (mixed with water) after my workout? I'll try and follow the 400-500g carb for the first carb up, and see how I feel.

I love veggies, so I don't think I'll have any issues there. Got tons of spinach, lettuce, onions, bell peppers and tomatoes at the house.

I'll have to look into the cocunut oil and milk.

Do you recommend any supplements to take while on the diet? I usually take a daily vitamin pak (from GNC) and fish oil caps.

Also, where's the best location to purchase ketostix? I'm in Canada, and I'm not sure the best location to find them?

Thanks!!

rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thanks for the reply.

So, I can rock a protein shake (mixed with water) after my workout? I'll try and follow the 400-500g carb for the first carb up, and see how I feel.

I love veggies, so I don't think I'll have any issues there. Got tons of spinach, lettuce, onions, bell peppers and tomatoes at the house.

I'll have to look into the cocunut oil and milk.

Do you recommend any supplements to take while on the diet? I usually take a daily vitamin pak (from GNC) and fish oil caps.

Also, where's the best location to purchase ketostix? I'm in Canada, and I'm not sure the best location to find them?

Thanks!!
    tomatoes are more of a fruit... watch the carb content. not sure about bell peppers.

protein shakes are fine... but if you can get whole food, stick that instead.

i take Optimen Multi, but any should be fine. also take 100% Gold Standard Whey (limit to 1-2 shakes a day). also take Universal Beef Liver Tabs, called Uni-Liver. great source of protein and micronutrients.

you can also take creatine if you like, there will be slightly more water retention, but that shouldnt matter anyways.

Make sure you are drinking 1 -1.5 gallons of water a day. as for ketostix, i don't use them. i figure if my carbs are very low 20-30 range for a few days, i will reach keto, because carb source will run out eventually. they can be misleading sometimes too, so i dont worry about using them.

surf3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surf3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surf3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surf3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surf3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surf3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surf3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surf3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surf3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surf3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surf3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Also check out the nutrition calculator at fitday[dot]com. It gives you an easy breakdown of your macro distribution. Check out my log for some samples.

tomatoes are more of a fruit... watch the carb content. not sure about bell peppers.

protein shakes are fine... but if you can get whole food, stick that instead.

i take Optimen Multi, but any should be fine. also take 100% Gold Standard Whey (limit to 1-2 shakes a day). also take Universal Beef Liver Tabs, called Uni-Liver. great source of protein and micronutrients.

you can also take creatine if you like, there will be slightly more water retention, but that shouldnt matter anyways.

Make sure you are drinking 1 -1.5 gallons of water a day. as for ketostix, i don't use them. i figure if my carbs are very low 20-30 range for a few days, i will reach keto, because carb source will run out eventually. they can be misleading sometimes too, so i dont worry about using them.
    Ok, good to know about the ketostix. I guess with the carbs being that low, you'll have to be in keto then

I'll watch out of the tomatoes and peppers, and try to get it clean with everything else.

So, if i stay to the ratios, and idea on how much weight will come off per week?

Thanks for all the info

Originally Posted by surf3r View Post
    Also check out the nutrition calculator at fitday[dot]com. It gives you an easy breakdown of your macro distribution. Check out my log for some samples.
    Thanks.

I recently joined Fitday, and it seems to break everything out pretty well.

I'll defn check out your log....thanks!!!

Ok, good to know about the ketostix. I guess with the carbs being that low, you'll have to be in keto then

I'll watch out of the tomatoes and peppers, and try to get it clean with everything else.

So, if i stay to the ratios, and idea on how much weight will come off per week?

Thanks for all the info
    it depends on your calories in - calories out. shooting for 1-2 lbs a week will minimize muscle loss.

after first week, you will drop a good amount but will just about all be water.

it depends on your calories in - calories out. shooting for 1-2 lbs a week will minimize muscle loss.

after first week, you will drop a good amount but will just about all be water.
    Sounds good. Hopefully I can get thru the first few days and power thru. A friend of mine is doing something similar, but she's using a food product in combination with her plan. I know she's been struggling with some hunger issues but is hanging in there...

Sounds good. Hopefully I can get thru the first few days and power thru. A friend of mine is doing something similar, but she's using a food product in combination with her plan. I know she's been struggling with some hunger issues but is hanging in there...
    i will swear by coconut oil for energy. make sure your fat content is up where it should be too. maybe eat at maintenance amounts of calories first week if you weren't already. red meats did the trick too.

i will swear by coconut oil for energy. make sure your fat content is up where it should be too. maybe eat at maintenance amounts of calories first week if you weren't already. red meats did the trick too.
    Sweet. I'm going to have to try and hunt down some spots for coconut oil. Hopefully I can find some in the stores today. I got no problem getting the red meats in.

Do you have any issues with bowel movements? i know my friend is having some issues, and she also takes a laxative to help.

Sweet. I'm going to have to try and hunt down some spots for coconut oil. Hopefully I can find some in the stores today. I got no problem getting the red meats in.

Do you have any issues with bowel movements? i know my friend is having some issues, and she also takes a laxative to help.
    mine are better on keto. i eat about 2 cups of broccoli a day.

So......finding coconut oil could be tough

leejiayun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leejiayun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leejiayun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leejiayun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leejiayun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leejiayun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leejiayun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leejiayun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

this (:

Thanks for all the info
    my first week saw about 2-3kgs in the first few days, and then 1-1.5kg by the end of the week.. i only work out weekends now cos i run 8am-10pm school days.. and i usually put on about 1kg during the week, which looks like water since it comes off over the weekend workouts..

i take a traditional chinese herb concoction (BnH, it's a detox product) cos yes, my bowels are extremely..... stagnant...

IF ANYONE WOULD CARE TO ANSWER A QUESTION I HAVE TOO! SORRY FOR THE THREAD-JACK!

I'm still eating around 1200cals a day, much higher in fats, prolly near 100g and about 60-70g Protein.. but i seem to be getting flabbier... anyone has any ideas what i could do? im 4'11'' and about 51-52kg.. not sure about bf% but my guess would be around 30-35%..

Well, i plan on rocking the first day on Monday. I'm kinda worried about doing this correctly, but there's only 1 way to find out. I am curious to see how the food intake will affect my training (no carbs)

Well, i plan on rocking the first day on Monday. I'm kinda worried about doing this correctly, but there's only 1 way to find out. I am curious to see how the food intake will affect my training (no carbs)
    Ok....the journey begins tomorrow.