jakefland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakefland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakefland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakefland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakefland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakefland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakefland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakefland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakefland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakefland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakefland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Protein. When is it good for?

Talking strictly Body Composition here, only.

For your muscles, is your body utilizing your protein intake 100% of the time, 24/7?

Does it prevent atrophy?

If I don't workout for an entire month, would Protein Intake effect my Body Composition at all?

Not "enough" protein intake, body steals protein from the muscles to compensate?

Is it only utilizing protein when "repairing" muscles?(I've read the longest time a muscle repairs from a workout, non-injury, is 72 hours?)

So if I workout ONLY Monday/Tuesday, that Friday-Sunday my protein intake will ONLY be used for non-body composition related uses / gluconeogenesis?
    Last edited by jakefland; 11-21-2011 at 01:14 PM.

PuZo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PuZo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PuZo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PuZo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PuZo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PuZo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PuZo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PuZo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PuZo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PuZo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PuZo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just take approximately 1g per lb of lbm per day of protein. Whether it comes from whey or animal based protein is irrelevant.

sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    absolutely nothing
    Who do men say that I am?

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You seem to be trying to ask a specific question. Just come out and say it. I bet it is something like this: You are going to have exams coming up, or will be traveling or something that makes it very inconvenient to even do body weight exercises such as push-ups (maybe you will be having surgery and will be bedridden for a month) and you are trying to figure out how much protein to ingest to minimize muscle loss. Something like that?

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by sunngodd View Post
    absolutely nothing
    ^^ no. You are confusing protein with war.

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by snorkelman View Post

sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    That's because I use this:

jakefland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakefland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakefland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakefland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakefland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakefland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakefland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakefland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakefland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakefland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakefland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You seem to be trying to ask a specific question. Just come out and say it. I bet it is something like this: You are going to have exams coming up, or will be traveling or something that makes it very inconvenient to even do body weight exercises such as push-ups (maybe you will be having surgery and will be bedridden for a month) and you are trying to figure out how much protein to ingest to minimize muscle loss. Something like that?
    I'm asking all of those questions in my main post.

Guess I should take this to advanced nutrition.

Originally Posted by jakefland View Post
    I'm asking all of those questions in my main post.

Guess I should take this to advanced nutrition.
    Try the Nutrition Misc

Mr_Aryze is just really nice. (+1000) Mr_Aryze is just really nice. (+1000) Mr_Aryze is just really nice. (+1000) Mr_Aryze is just really nice. (+1000) Mr_Aryze is just really nice. (+1000) Mr_Aryze is just really nice. (+1000) Mr_Aryze is just really nice. (+1000) Mr_Aryze is just really nice. (+1000) Mr_Aryze is just really nice. (+1000) Mr_Aryze is just really nice. (+1000) Mr_Aryze is just really nice. (+1000)
    That's because I use this:

"Feed muscle up to 8 hours"? Megusta.

WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Try the Nutrition Misc
    This x2.

OP: You should post here.

If I don't workout for an entire month, would Protein Intake effect my Body Composition at all?
    If you do nothing at all that taxes your muscles, then yes you will lose LBM, and it probably won't make an effing difference how much protein you ingest if you are eating at a deficit or maintainance. Of course you can minimize your losses by keeping protein intake high.

My comment was more geared towards getting you to ask yourself some questions. Seriously, if you want to do everything possible to prevent losing the hard-earned muscle, why not at least try and do something in the form of resistance exercise. Yeah, 2 or 3 days a week can prevent LBM loss, especially if it is intense lifting.

If you do nothing at all that taxes your muscles, then yes you will lose LBM, and it probably won't make an effing difference how much protein you ingest if you are eating at a deficit or maintainance. Of course you can minimize your losses by keeping protein intake high.

My comment was more geared towards getting you to ask yourself some questions. Seriously, if you want to do everything possible to prevent losing the hard-earned muscle, why not at least try and do something in the form of resistance exercise. Yeah, 2 or 3 days a week can prevent LBM loss, especially if it is intense lifting.
    I'm asking these questions for general knowledge. I want to, in-depth, know how the body utilizes Protein. So you're saying that for someone that has worked out effectively for a while and has a good amount of muscle mass, that if they were to not workout for a month, that protein intake is still relevant for preventing atrophy?

Simple one question I would like to know:

For Body Composition, is Protein ONLY good for repairing the muscles or also maintaining muscle size without working out?

to add to that...

Does ONLY calorie deficit / not working out cause Muscle Atrophy? Or does insufficient Protein cause Atrophy too?

For Body Composition, is Protein ONLY good for repairing the muscles or also maintaining muscle size without working out?
    Do you know that protein is an essential macronutrient?

It is relevant for both.

Does ONLY calorie deficit / not working out cause Muscle Atrophy? Or does insufficient Protein cause Atrophy too?
    both

ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

to add to that...

You are forgetting the main concept behind why muscles grow.

Muscles grow from expenditure in the weight room because you are forcing them to handle loads they are not able to handle. Doing this multiple times forces the muscles to accomodate and grow.

If you take the stress away and stop taxing your body, then yes you will lose muscle regardless of your diet. Why? Because your body no longer requires those muscles to function the way it used to.

Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    Do you know that protein is an essential macronutrient?
    I do know that. Which is why I am talking about Body Comp ONLY.

Originally Posted by ven33 View Post
    You are forgetting the main concept behind why muscles grow.

Muscles grow from expenditure in the weight room because you are forcing them to handle loads they are not able to handle. Doing this multiple times forces the muscles to accomodate and grow.

If you take the stress away and stop taxing your body, then yes you will lose muscle regardless of your diet. Why? Because your body no longer requires those muscles to function the way it used to.
    I am not forgetting anything; I am asking specific questions. I know the basics, I'm hoping someone on this forum has in-depth knowledge of protein and its effects on the body for BODY COMP ONLY.

So you are implying that Protein Intake would be irrelevant because your muscles would only start Atrophy because of not working out, correct? Protein would do nothing to preserve your muscle mass while not working out?