Need Help? Customer Support 1-866-236-8417
    BinaryMadman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Do Upright Exercise Bikes actually work or are they a waste of time?

I'm thinking of buying one at Walmart and just wanted to know if they are effective for weight loss. It's a Weslo Pursuit G2.8 Upright Exercise Bike if it makes a difference.

oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It will work if you use it - at least your cardio.

The bigger questions is, will you want to use it, especially several months after bringing it home? Exercise bikes are great, and I've got one too - but they're notorius for becoming clothes hangers after a very short period of time. They can be very good if you can stay motivated and keep changing around the routines you do on them.

I'd say your best chances of success with this piece of equipment would be if you were to first realize that yes, it is inherently boring - you'll quickly tire of the routine without any changes - but good music and good routines can go a long way to overcome that. So you will need some planning on how you plan to use the bike and how often, for how long....longer than 20-30 minutes can seem like purgatory unless you're really motivated and have some good support tunes and some kind of interval program. Or you can switch off and use it for a generaL body warmup some of the time, and use it for intervals at other times - switch things up to keep it fresh(er).

For weight loss you're going to need to be on it a lot to lose significant weight, unless you haven't been active and are just now getting back in.

Aside from the usual shortcomings of exercise bikes, I'd caution you that I don't think the Weslo is extremely well-thought of on here so I don't know how good its long-term reliability is going to be. You may get lucky and it's fine for you - or you may wish later on that you'd bought something more stout. It's really a question of budget and how often you intend to use it. These type pieces are usually built to a price point and overall quality can be hit-or-miss.

geebee666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geebee666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geebee666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geebee666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geebee666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geebee666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geebee666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geebee666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geebee666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geebee666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geebee666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ^^^^^^ spot on, I watch tv or movies if doing a long session.
    I ride on road as well (recumbent trike) and yes you will lose weight but weight lifting and aerobic will lose more faster.
    You need to ride a minimum of 30 minutes at a reasonable power level to do much good for weight loss, if you just doodle along you won't achieve much.

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    before buying the walmart thing, it's worth looking around for a used Scwinn Airdyne. i picked up one for 150 and it's great. the motion is really good, there's not much on it to break, and it's easy to use for long steady state or interval training. you definitely will get back what you put into your workout on it.

oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I find when I am using my stationary trainers - I've actually got 2 different kinds, one a spin bike and one bicycle mounted on a magnetic trainer - that I almost have to adopt a different mindset when I start regular training on the bike. I know if I get on with a mindset of "oh crap - 40 minutes of this drivel - my brains and my butt are turning to mashed potatoes" I won't be able to go as long as I planned, I'll do like 30 when I planned for 40 minutes. But if I can trick my brain into something like "I'm training for the upcoming season, this is great, can't wait to get on and try some difference cadences" - just general, upbeat, validating thoughts, I can do a lot more and take training a lot farther thanif I just view it as 40 minutes I just HAVE to slog thru.

That, and get some water bottles and some great music, and you will like it more in the long run.

It's all about mindset, like so much in bodybuilding.

KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BinaryMadman View Post
    I'm thinking of buying one at Walmart and just wanted to know if they are effective for weight loss. It's a Weslo Pursuit G2.8 Upright Exercise Bike if it makes a difference.
    Do you have a real bike? If so, there are various ways to use it for training indoors. (oldline70 mentioned one of the options, a mag trainer.)

The great thing, obviously, about a real bike is that you can ride it outdoors which, IMO, is a lot more fun than riding indoors. The saddle and other ergonomic considerations will likely be better too.

BinaryMadman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

I just noticed the Weslo bike has bad reviews on Walmart, i think i'll save up for a better brand. I don't have a bike. One of the things that worries me is that i might get bored with it, i'll point it at the tv and see if that works. Thank you all for the great advice!